Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I know, you know, we all know we'll screw it up.

We pick for position, the natural talent who slips past will be a revelation. We pick for talent, some great needs player will trot off the Hawthorn to start their 250 game career.
You're just mixing up cause and effect here. Whoever we pick will have to slot into an extremely unsettled mess with no leadership and look terrible, while whoever Hawthorn pick will slot into a far better-drilled and stable outfit and probably look really good.

You're just mixing up cause and effect here. Whoever we pick will have to slot into an extremely unsettled mess with no leadership and look terrible, while whoever Hawthorn pick will slot into a far better-drilled and stable outfit and probably look really good.
Yeh Hawthorn have been quite the benchmark the last 4 years makes sense.

There will be some nervous state league players hoping that they slip past North.

Coming to our dumpster fire is a career killer for these guys. They don’t get the latitude of a top end draft pick.
Remember when Jarrod Pickett opted to play GWS NEAFL over coming to north?

We weren't even 2020s bad yet at that stage either.

Going the early crow but I think Jasper Scaife from East Fremantle is who we should be looking at with pick 1. He physically matured a lot in the last 12 months and he still has a bucketload of upside being only 19 years old. I’d much prefer a genuine tall over another mid forward (Jack Hutchison) that avg 10 disposals per game.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/110338...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1712399597001

I’d also love for us to go with a mature body either through the midfield or across half back. Someone who can contribute immediately.

Physical midfielders with some upside for mine would be Ned Long, Adam D’Alioa or Kobe Ryan.

Mature Half backs (so we can get Sheezel into the midfield). Jez McLennan or Tom Highmore (more intercepting).
Looks a nice size. Why wasn’t he taken in the most recent national/rookie drafts?

I know, you know, we all know we'll screw it up.

We pick for position, the natural talent who slips past will be a revelation. We pick for talent, some great needs player will trot off the Hawthorn to start their 250 game career.
hawthorn benefited from having that player in their reserves team, he also said he wouldn’t go to any other club and he’s average against every other team and looks like a superstar against us. Jai isn’t that good.

The midseason draft is 99% crap

hawthorn benefited from having that player in their reserves team, he also said he wouldn’t go to any other club and he’s average against every other team and looks like a superstar against us. Jai isn’t that good.

The midseason draft is 99% crap
Reckon you're underselling him there. He's above average in all stats and passes the eye test as a bull who can move well and use it too.

We'd be painting murals of him and joking about knighting Brady if he pulled these performances with us.

Reckon you're underselling him there. He's above average in all stats and passes the eye test as a bull who can move well and use it too.

We'd be painting murals of him and joking about knighting Brady if he pulled these performances with us.

Yeah, I don't think he's elite, but he bullied us yesterday. Disdainfully.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks a nice size. Why wasn’t he taken in the most recent national/rookie drafts?

Kicked 32 goals in 2022 in the colts, but didn’t get much exposure at the champs only playing two games. Was on the skinnier side in his draft year and lacked a point of difference.

2023 plyed his trade in the WAFL reserves (so he wouldn’t have really been on clubs radars), but spent the year and the following pre-season getting bigger and stronger.

2024 starts the year in the seniors by kicking 1,4,3 goals. Noticeably bigger and stronger and more of an aerial threat.

Kicked 32 goals in 2022 in the colts, but didn’t get much exposure at the champs only playing two games. Was on the skinnier side in his draft year and lacked a point of difference.
Van Rooyen and Amiss were the two key forwards?
Wouldn’t have had much time with them

Edit: nope, looked it up, they were in previous years:

We had about 4,000 rucks that year and had to move them about

Last edited:

2023 plyed his trade in the WAFL reserves (so he wouldn’t have really been on clubs radars), but spent the year and the following pre-season getting bigger and stronger.

2024 starts the year in the seniors by kicking 1,4,3 goals. Noticeably bigger and stronger and more of an aerial threat.
Kind of reminds me of a young Darling with that straight back and his tree-trunk coming along.

Just curious too roos_fanatic08
From his year, Jed Hagen has started well too, is he still too small?

Just curious too roos_fanatic08
From his year, Jed Hagen has started well too, is he still too small?

Loved this guy as a junior; always unsure why he slipped off the radar. Can any of the draft watchers shed some light? Souup

He was very much on the radar last year for a few clubs. He done the 2022/23 pre-season at Port and he played in the SANFL for their reserves side. Had a solid year in the SANFL last year, but got moved all around the park to suit the development of the listed Port players. So he didn’t really get to shine in any one position

Decided to go back to East Freo this year because he felt he played better with the support of his family, and he has started off the year well playing as a small forward rotating through the midfield.

He has plenty of talent and should’ve been drafted in his draft year, but for a smaller player he probably lacks a real athletic point of difference.

Thanks GR. in late 2022 early 2023 he was rated as potential top 20ish pick. Had some decent games in the reseves/18's last year but hardly fired a shot for SA at the championships.

On a side note, I find it hard to believe that he is now 194cm+, only because at the state combine at the end of last year he measured 190.9cm.
Just from the vision there is no way he is 194. I would say 192 tops. Plus, that defending is shizen. Maybe why Pinkus looked good.

Loved this guy as a junior; always unsure why he slipped off the radar. Can any of the draft watchers shed some light? Souup

He actually didn't test at the national combine 2 years ago so I don't have data RE: athletic traits, but that's probably the main concern, along with his height at 175cm.

Personally, I think there's enough there to work with and see his potential ceiling as similar to what Liam Baker has achieved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back