List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Cooper simpson is going alright for freo. We all wanted him draft night and yet we over looked him.

He had 6 possessions, lowest on the ground unless you want to count the injured players, no idea how you can insinuate we flunked that selection.

Billy Wilson is going very well too if you watch our reserves. Behind Binns our best at the level this season. He doesn't have an AFL body yet but he wasn't drafted for 2024. Moir going great as well. They are all 7 games into their hopefully long careers, Simpson included.

I mean look at the Cats, their kids are nobodies until they are 22 then they just slot in seamlessly. Now that we are at the top end we should look to replicate that and whilst injuries are making it tough that is not the fault of an 18 year old.

He had 6 possessions, lowest on the ground unless you want to count the injured players, no idea how you can insinuate we flunked that selection.

Billy Wilson is going very well too if you watch our reserves. Behind Binns our best at the level this season. He doesn't have an AFL body yet but he wasn't drafted for 2024. Moir going great as well. They are all 7 games into their hopefully long careers, Simpson included.

I mean look at the Cats, their kids are nobodies until they are 22 then they just slot in seamlessly. Now that we are at the top end we should look to replicate that and whilst injuries are making it tough that is not the fault of an 18 year old.
He was the sub. Came on and set up two goals in the last. Ran and took the game on.

When was the last time we traded out a valuable player to obtain good draft pick/s in order to target a gun player of need, either through the draft or trading with another club?
Early SOS era?
I think we are in a position to target a dangerous small/med. FWD, but you need to be a bit ruthless and give something up of some value.
Who would we be prepared to trade for either picks, salary cap room or more game time?

Why do we need to be ruthless and trade players? Geelong have constantly targeted big players and managed to just use their picks (mostly)

They identify a player and trade, there’s no reason we can’t do the same.

Hopefully we have a pick 14-18, that gets you a good player.

Not much has changed over the last 3 years. We will add the Campo boys, but the deficiencies remain

KPD - While drafting a kid like Trainor would be ideal (he'll be gone at our pick), I sense we need to target a ready made 2nd KPD, IF, we can exit Young

Dynamic medium/3rd tall forward - I have no doubt about Moir cementing himself in the side, but we need a tough, quick, strong marking forward, with a penetrating kick

Let's put aside talent and accomplishments for the second:

Allow me to provide you two players at different stages of their career and their percentage of games played since 2016. Have a guess who they are. One of them should be super easy.

Player 1: From Collingwood. 100%

Player 2: From Carlton. 30.2%

Let's put aside talent and accomplishments for the second:

Allow me to provide you two players at different stages of their career and their percentage of games played since 2016. Have a guess who they are. One of them should be super easy.

Player 1: From Collingwood. 100%

Player 2: From Carlton. 30.2%
Jack Crisp

Jack Martin

Correct.

First player is Jack Crisp.

Second player is David Cuningham.

Now I am not ever expecting any of how players to have the extremely fortunate run Crisp has had in terms of fitness and matches played. But what I would say is this, much of Collingwood's list seem to have a reasonably strong percentage here when it comes to their senior players.

My goodness, 30.2% of games played is ridiculously low for a player in their 9th season. Cuningham has only played 55 of 182 games within his AFL career so far. And I am sure there are a few others with a similar low percentage like his playing for us right now.

The question I ask is this. Where do we draw the line? When do we say enough is enough and no longer put our faith in players whose bodies are no longer cut for the game (or at least for our team)?

This may sound harsh. But the truth is that the likes of Cuningham, Marchbank and Martin are fast becoming liabilities. They are letting their teammates down. Of course they don't mean to do this, but I think it is time they truly begin to see things for what they are themselves. Their bodies have degenerated quicker than the others and they no longer seem cut out for the rigours of footy.

They are missing huge chunks of each season with some kind of injury. Muscles made of tissue paper or bones made of glass.

It is one thing to have injuries in a season. It is another thing to have the very same players injured year in, year out, with the club continuously having to carry them.

I think it is time come the end of the year to make the big calls. The club needs to take what may seem to appear as risks. Not just look at the S&C team but make the tough list changes with such injury-prone players. Not going to get anywhere further with them hanging around, only to see them once again sit on the sidelines indefinitely for a different reason every single year.

Last edited:
Yes we are stuck … until we do something to change the status quo.
Kemp will never be a KPP in my opinion. Better as a third tall forward.
Where’s this notion that he’s a forward come from? Only played half of one game in under 18’s in the forward line, and in the VFL (underwhelmingly) in 2022

Why do we need to be ruthless and trade players? Geelong have constantly targeted big players and managed to just use their picks (mostly)

They identify a player and trade, there’s no reason we can’t do the same.

Hopefully we have a pick 14-18, that gets you a good player.
We haven't got beach side houses to add to the deal.
We don’t need to trade out players that can secure us more valuable draft picks, but it is a lever that can be used.

We haven't got beach side houses to add to the deal.
We don’t need to trade out players that can secure us more valuable draft picks, but it is a lever that can be used.
We haven’t really struggled to attract players to the club, hopefully we have some $$$ available, there’s a few free agents who would be fantastic for us.

Even the mid range free agents though will demand high $$$$ but we could be aggressive by moving on injury prone players to free up coin

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine a KPD is key for us, as we are in the window we need both a short and long term strategy. Long term we need to identify draft prospects, obviously, and others are better placed to judge those. Shorter term we have Sam Durdin at hand so let's find out if he can do the job, he's 27 so in a great age bracket but for most is a big question mark so let's find out.. Even shorter term to match the window we are in right now we could do worse than Jeremy McGovern, provided he stays healthy, and I believe would actually be gettable.

Open to suggestions - 25 year old free agent averaging 1.5 goals a game and is strong in the air and wouldn't cost a fortune. Who's out there who would fit better?

TDK (has all the attributes) showing massive potential as a forward in the past few weeks… He could play the role or release Charlie…

Then JSOS/ Martin as backup…

Curtis or any other good small forward, is a yes from me…

Getting ourselves into a tizzy because Jeremy Cameron kicked a mini-bag is a bit much.

While 2nd key defender isn't a strength at the moment, I don't think it's worth trying to contort our list management around.

At current standings we will probably replace Akeui and Durdin at years end, maybe we will try and grab a MSD prospects for this purpose.

Young is a limited player, but that's the second best KPF duo in the league we played

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

We haven’t really struggled to attract players to the club, hopefully we have some $$$ available, there’s a few free agents who would be fantastic for us.

Even the mid range free agents though will demand high $$$$ but we could be aggressive by moving on injury prone players to free up coin
I agree but I’m not sure we can free up much coin moving on injury prones…

The worst of the lot are Marchy and cunners (available ~7-8 games in average per season) and I don’t think either are on much coin.

Martins isn’t as bad (averaging ~15 games per season) and his salary was front end loaded.

Where’s this notion that he’s a forward come from? Only played half of one game in under 18’s in the forward line, and in the VFL (underwhelmingly) in 2022
Based on his skills and attributes I think he’d be better as a forward. Don’t think it is going to happen however - club seems determined to make him into a KPD.

It is worthwhile having a discussion as to which players are not good enough to take into the last 2 weeks of the finals, to form the basis of recruiting priorities.

I would nominate Owies, Durdin and Young from yesterday, resulting in
1. electric small fwd with good defensive skills
2. Key position defender

Durdin is the interesting one. He could kick 3 next week, but I don't trust him as a consistent finisher and this is his 4th season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back