List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I don’t love Cam Zurhaar, I think he is the forward type we should be looking at.

Averaging over a goal a game in the bottom team and kicked 3.3 yesterday so really could have had a day out.

North will 100% let him go via FA if they get a high enough compo.

I’d much prefer to have only 1 small in our forward line in Motlop, with Harry, Charlie, JSOS, EHollands and Zurhaar. Along with maybe CDurdin coming off the bench.

Don't mind it. Can play the role Martin was meant to play - that lead up medium fwd that can do damage at ground level too. Seems like a flog but is hard as a cats head.

Correct.

First player is Jack Crisp.

Second player is David Cuningham.

Now I am not ever expecting any of how players to have the extremely fortunate run Crisp has had in terms of fitness and matches played. But what I would say is this, much of Collingwood's list seem to have a reasonably strong percentage here when it comes to their senior players.

My goodness, 30.2% of games played is ridiculously low for a player in their 9th season. Cuningham has only played 55 of 182 games within his AFL career so far. And I am sure there are a few others with a similar low percentage like his playing for us right now.

The question I ask is this. Where do we draw the line? When do we say enough is enough and no longer put our faith in players whose bodies are no longer cut for the game (or at least for our team)?

This may sound harsh. But the truth is that the likes of Cuningham, Marchbank and Martin are fast becoming liabilities. They are letting their teammates down. Of course they don't mean to do this, but I think it is time they truly begin to see things for what they are themselves. Their bodies have degenerated quicker than the others and they no longer seem cut out for the rigours of footy.

They are missing huge chunks of each season with some kind of injury. Muscles made of tissue paper or bones made of glass.

It is one thing to have injuries in a season. It is another thing to have the very same players injured year in, year out, with the club continuously having to carry them.

I think it is time come the end of the year to make the big calls. The club needs to take what may seem to appear as risks. Not just look at the S&C team but make the tough list changes with such injury-prone players. Not going to get anywhere further with them hanging around, only to see them once again sit on the sidelines indefinitely for a different reason every single year.

Marchbank & Cuningham should've been cut last year. We got sucked in by an end-of-year tease. Martin I was happy to give another year to purely because of his x-factor.

Don't care if all 3 play the last 6 games and get BOG. Takes a full season to win a Premiership and their bodies can't handle it, and at this stage of their careers that ain't changing. It's sad for them but the reality of high performance industry.

Remember when we ripped the band-aid off with Menzel due to his body just not holding up? Was questioned at the time but everyone moves on by Rd1.

I Would love Hayward and Zurhaar on our list would be awesome to get both
Move on or Delist Cunningham Martin Marchbank and even Trade C Durdin
We still need another lock down key defender
Young should be let go is an absolute liability

For mine a KPD is key for us, as we are in the window we need both a short and long term strategy. Long term we need to identify draft prospects, obviously, and others are better placed to judge those. Shorter term we have Sam Durdin at hand so let's find out if he can do the job, he's 27 so in a great age bracket but for most is a big question mark so let's find out.. Even shorter term to match the window we are in right now we could do worse than Jeremy McGovern, provided he stays healthy, and I believe would actually be gettable.

McGovern body is the issue though, hasn’t managed more than 15 games since 2019, the idea is sound but there me no point getting rid of 1-2 injury prone players, only to bring in another.

At the game yesterday it was obvious that a few of our smaller players are 'small' - by that I mean short or a light frame - O Hollands, Owies, Binns.

To my eye even Geelongs smaller brigade had strength whereas our guys are buffeted off the ball.

I'm a bit concerned we then bring in the Camporeale boys next year - are we too 'light' ??

100% agree.....I'm still a fan of Durds even though he hasn't been able to recapture the form from a few years back. As disappointing as it was last night, if he had have slotted those goals in the last quarter, we'd be singing his praises - he misses the opportunities and people are sinking the boots in.

I've also seen enough of Owies - very limited skills and output - and at 27yo, I'm not holding out any hope.

I was banging on about during the draft last year, but would love another creative forward. Koen Sanchez was the one I was really impressed with during the U18 Champs - made the All Australian side - and Jack Callinan the other who fits the bill. Both are still there for the taking in the MSD.
How have those two started their seasons this year? Where do they play?

The good thing about Owies being in the squad is, you know his limits and you know he busts his gut, he’s also our most durable small, so if we wanted to trade another, at least you know what you’re getting.

At the game yesterday it was obvious that a few of our smaller players are 'small' - by that I mean short or a light frame - O Hollands, Owies, Binns.

To my eye even Geelongs smaller brigade had strength whereas our guys are buffeted off the ball.

I'm a bit concerned we then bring in the Camporeale boys next year - are we too 'light' ??
For years everytime I watch Geelong I look at players I barely know and they are big boys.

Lots of our guys still look slight, not just the ones you mentioned.

Last edited:
Zurhaar would fit in with Vossy's love for competitive beasts.

Re above I think Ollie still needs another year, he was flying pre season and one of our best. Think he's just got a case of the 2nd year blues and is still a bit slight.

How is the RFA status calculated?

Top 25% of earners on their club list. So top 11 names. Is it based solely on contract value in the year that they come off contract?

Speculation that Hayward will be on $750-800k. His last deal was a four year contract extension. If it was back-ended (likely given the forecast shedding of Buddy's contract), then he may have only been averaging $500k a year.

Ie. $400k+$400k+$400k+$800k = $500k yearly wage but RFA when coming out of contract?

How is the RFA status calculated?

Top 25% of earners on their club list. So top 11 names. Is it based solely on contract value in the year that they come off contract?

Speculation that Hayward will be on $750-800k. His last deal was a four year contract extension. If it was back-ended (likely given the forecast shedding of Buddy's contract), then he may have only been averaging $500k a year.

Ie. $400k+$400k+$400k+$800k = $500k yearly wage but RFA when coming out of contract?
From memory it's just the last year of their contract.

I also just can't imagine the Swans would have signed him on a 700k+ deal when they did, he wasn't and still isn't that level of player and they rarely overpay for players outside of absolute stars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory it's just the last year of their contract.

I also just can't imagine the Swans would have signed him on a 700k+ deal when they did, he wasn't and still isn't that level of player and they rarely overpay for players outside of absolute stars.

Figured as much. So no need to assume he's gonna need an $800k offer.

Last year we baulked at the cost of Gresham and we missed out on fixing an area of need, I’m really hoping we can afford the $$$ this year to fix an area of need.

Zurhaar, Hayward or Ainsworth as a FA wouod really help us

Only a very small group of us actually wanted Gresham. There was actually quite a lot of hostility when his name was even mentioned.

Will kick 30+ goals for the Bombers this year off a half forward flank, also providing plenty of presence at stoppages in the forward half.
Meanwhile we wait for our half forwards to return from injury to maybe play some AFL quality football for half a season.

Darcy Jones was one I was hoping would continue to be deprived opportunity but it looks like that ship has sailed already 🥲 he looked incredible

Jones coming on as a player just means someone else becomes gettable.

They can’t fit all of Greene, Daniels, Jones, Bedford, Thomas and Gothard in the one side, especially considering they play the four roaming talls.

The first 5 would slot in seamlessly at Carlton, Gothard a fresh 1st round pick and highly rated.

Ask the question and see what falls out.

Figured as much. So no need to assume he's gonna need an $800k offer.
The Swans will offer Heyward at least $650K at least per year to stay (remembering that the average wage is $440k). To get him to leave a successful club where he is well settled would cost you at least an extra $100K ( if you were the only bidder) and at least a 5 year deal. Not saying that he isn't worth it but we have to be a bit realistic about what the cost would be. It may depend on the progess that E. Hollands and Moir make this year as to what our appetite would be.

Only a very small group of us actually wanted Gresham. There was actually quite a lot of hostility when his name was even mentioned.

Will kick 30+ goals for the Bombers this year off a half forward flank, also providing plenty of presence at stoppages in the forward half.
Meanwhile we wait for our half forwards to return from injury to maybe play some AFL quality football for half a season.
I'm just glad that after another year of mediocre output others finally seem to be coming around to the idea that our small forwards are genuine D graders. Miers, Close and Stengle completely torched us last night, what I wouldn't give for some quality like those 3.

I'm not sure if Gresham was ever an option for us re how much $ he wanted but aside from the odd opportunist goal here and there I genuinely can't remember a game where one of our smalls has been as influential as the Geelong smalls yesterday or Gresham a couple of games this year.

Can't imagine Miers, Close or Stengle would be on a massive contract either, the three are just genuine top line role players

McGovern body is the issue though, hasn’t managed more than 15 games since 2019, the idea is sound but there me no point getting rid of 1-2 injury prone players, only to bring in another.
Yep definitely agree that body could well be an issue but how he goes this season will be a good guide and only on fair and reasonable terms

Elijah Hollands is kicking over a goal a game as a half forward that we got for a 3rd round draft pick with a high ceiling that will be around for a decade. As opposed to Gresham, who would command $600k a year, and might put together 2 good seasons based on his output at the saints. I know which one I would rather

Elijah Hollands is kicking over a goal a game as a half forward that we got for a 3rd round draft pick with a high ceiling that will be around for a decade. As opposed to Gresham, who would command $600k a year, and might put together 2 good seasons based on his output at the saints. I know which one I would rather
Elijah has been a fantastic pick up and I think will only continue to improve, brilliant stuff by Austin... but he's not a genuine small forward which is what we're crying out for

The Swans will offer Heyward at least $650K at least per year to stay (remembering that the average wage is $440k). To get him to leave a successful club where he is well settled would cost you at least an extra $100K ( if you were the only bidder) and at least a 5 year deal. Not saying that he isn't worth it but we have to be a bit realistic about what the cost would be. It may depend on the progess that E. Hollands and Moir make this year as to what our appetite would be.

Still feels like this is all based on some significant assumptions.

A) The Swans desperately want to keep him. They may not, and their contract offer may reflect that.
B) He wants to stay at the Swans. He may not, and if so there's no guarantee they even reach the point of tabling an offer.
C) That $100k a year is the required "extra" to prise him out. Seems like a conveniently round number, not one based on evidence.
D) That money will even be the deciding factor. Location, list profile, prospects for success, expected role, length of contract, teammates, coach etc. There are plenty of factors outside the dollar.

Agree that Moir and Hollands' performance this year may change things, but I reckon we'll be big into Hayward regardless given our lack of reliable forward options. And if we are, we won't be waiting til September to open discussions.

If we get him, I reckon it'll be on less than $700k a year.

Last edited:
Very hard to get players of quality when our top end is so highly paid …. We wil always have a few spuds to complement our current core

Remove this Banner Ad

Back