List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt Dodoro will juggle the books again so that North receive a 1st round pick as compensation, similar to B.McKay. Effectively means that they're likely to receive pick #2 for Zurhaar :drunk:

I agree though that we look at other teams' lists like Brissy. I reckon GCS will be ripe for the picking over the next few years as they need to sign these academy kids to new contracts. Their salary cap is going to be stretched to the limit. GWS possibly similar, although their depth of young players will no doubt have some looking for opportunities elsewhere.

Isn't Dodoro goneski ??

My wish......

1. Another solid tall (198cm -202cm) KPD that reads the ball well in the air, has a sticky hands and enough athleticism to stay with their opponent. Someone to free up Weiters.
I unfortunately don't see Young as a long term possibility, and S.Durdin might be the player I'm looking for, but I struggle to see the return for investment due to too many injuries and his inability to stay on the park for sustained periods of time. If they've got his body right, then I would like to reserve my judgement until after he's played a season.

2. A small forward/third tall forward that can jump on shoulders and hold marks.
I want defenders to not only worry about H and Charlie in our forward line, but also worry that someone will put a knee into the back of their head when they're trying to tussle with our big boys.
I feel opposition coaches don't really fear our smalls. Owies and C.Durdin, in my opinion, are usually only successful if they can break away from their opponent. If their opponent has speed, we're usually nullified. Standing 1on1 and trying to out-mark them is almost non existent. Jesse Motlop does have the ability to to win 1on1's and also make leads on his opponent, but I haven't ever seen him do anything aerially.
Someone like Jamie Elliot, Cody Weightman or Shai Bolton style of player is what I feel we really need.

Still a fan of getting Hayward as FA if the cost is OK.

Good fit for us.

Agree, another from the swans that will be much cheaper is Sam Wicks

Embarrassing not one player congratulated him after kicking his second goal. I just find that incredible and also find it really hard to believe the swans won’t trade him

He’s a goer, with serious wheels

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
No doubt Dodoro will juggle the books again so that North receive a 1st round pick as compensation, similar to B.McKay. Effectively means that they're likely to receive pick #2 for Zurhaar :drunk:

I agree though that we look at other teams' lists like Brissy. I reckon GCS will be ripe for the picking over the next few years as they need to sign these academy kids to new contracts. Their salary cap is going to be stretched to the limit. GWS possibly similar, although their depth of young players will no doubt have some looking for opportunities elsewhere.

Mal Rosas please

The only evidence i go off when assuming what he or others will go for is, how many clubs will want him and how much premium have other free agents got in the past.

I think lots will want him.

Last year the * paid $700,000 for Gresham and more for McKay, Mcstay recently got $500,000 per year.

There is generally a premium paid for not having to use a draft pick

As always, comes down to player motivations and priorities.

Essendon paid a stack for Gresham and McKay because they had cap space and were desperate. They're not selling "look at our list, we're poised for a flag", they're selling "Anzac Day and a big payday to maybe win a final sometime in the next few years".

I don't think Carlton are walking into any negotiation with the intent to beat all rival salary offers.

Teams may offer Hayward or Zurhaar $800k or more, but they'll be the teams who need to offer big money to compete with our pitch. We'll probably walk in and offer a choice of a $700k 3-year deal or a $600k 5-year deal, and tell the player in question that we have a role for them, that the team are 100% united in their pursuit of a flag, and that if they want to be part of that then all they need to do is sign and show up to preseason in good nick and with the right attitude.

If they choose to take the money elsewhere, so be it.

Dare I say it Tarryn Thomas
But honestly as a footballer would fit out needs to a tee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We signed George Hewett for 450k a year from the very club being discussed
Who had pretty much decided that they were going with younger players on ball and were playing him out of position at half back. Kane Cornes went on record as saying we had overpaid in terms of $ and contract length (which shows how little he knows).

Heyward is a different kettle of fish. He's a restricted free agent so he's more than likely on over $600K already.

Dare I say it Tarryn Thomas
But honestly as a footballer would fit out needs to a tee

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

I've heard you say this before. His talent is so freakish that three consecutive coaches (in a very poor team) refuse point blank to play him in the seniors.
Playing behind Shai Bolton and Dustin Martin.

Id back him in to be more impactful than Owies, Durdin or Fantasia. His games in 2022 were better than anything our smalls have produced outside of Martin.

As always, comes down to player motivations and priorities.

Essendon paid a stack for Gresham and McKay because they had cap space and were desperate. They're not selling "look at our list, we're poised for a flag", they're selling "Anzac Day and a big payday to maybe win a final sometime in the next few years".

I don't think Carlton are walking into any negotiation with the intent to beat all rival salary offers.

Teams may offer Hayward or Zurhaar $800k or more, but they'll be the teams who need to offer big money to compete with our pitch. We'll probably walk in and offer a choice of a $700k 3-year deal or a $600k 5-year deal, and tell the player in question that we have a role for them, that the team are 100% united in their pursuit of a flag, and that if they want to be part of that then all they need to do is sign and show up to preseason in good nick and with the right attitude.

If they choose to take the money elsewhere, so be it.
If you went with either of those offers the Swans would just match if they wanted to to get more value than a very late first rounder and force a trade. Surely as a RFA Heyward is on over $600K per season currently (Average player $441K so top 25% $650K +, 25- 50% - $440K - $650k, 50 - 75% $250K - $440K, 75 - 100% - under $250K at a guess)

Kangas would be happy to see Zurhaar go in terms of free agency as they would get pick 2. Seeing as they have to pay 95% of the salary cap of $15.8 mill they have to pay out just over $15 mill. You'd have to imagine that he is on excellent coin now because who else are they paying.

Next year the salary cap goes up to $17.76 mill so each club has nearly an extra $2mill to spend although a lot of existing contracts have increases linked to this change. We will have a fair bit of space as will every other club. In effect the salary cap is going up by over 13% and this will be reflected in the wage of what you have to pay to attract a decent free agent.

Playing behind Shai Bolton and Dustin Martin.

Id back him in to be more impactful than Owies, Durdin or Fantasia. His games in 2022 were better than anything our smalls have produced outside of Martin.
It's a bit strange to say he's being kept out by a medium forward like Martin and then compare him to our small forwards. He's not really a crumbing small forward, gets a lot of Joe the Goose goals and isn't very strong defensively. I think that he might already be delisted free agent have been delisted in 2021 and re-rookied but he might get delisted again.

If you went with either of those offers the Swans would just match if they wanted to to get more value than a very late first rounder and force a trade. Surely as a RFA Heyward is on over $600K per season currently (Average player $441K so top 25% $650K +, 25- 50% - $440K - $650k, 50 - 75% $250K - $440K, 75 - 100% - under $250K at a guess)

Kangas would be happy to see Zurhaar go in terms of free agency as they would get pick 2. Seeing as they have to pay 95% of the salary cap of $15.8 mill they have to pay out just over $15 mill. You'd have to imagine that he is on excellent coin now because who else are they paying.

Next year the salary cap goes up to $17.76 mill so each club has nearly an extra $2mill to spend although a lot of existing contracts have increases linked to this change. We will have a fair bit of space as will every other club. In effect the salary cap is going up by over 13% and this will be reflected in the wage of what you have to pay to attract a decent free agent.

He might be on 600k this year, but what was he on the years previous?

The restricted criteria is a misnomer, should be the average of the previous deal not the last year of the deal only

Nah that’s nonsense. Hasn’t got a defensive bone in his body
His defensive game is his weakness but that's the reason he doesn't play when Dusty and Shai play. Neither of them care for defending much and are better offensive threats, you simply can't play 3 smalls who have little interest in defending or teams torch you the other way.

Given our smalls are basically all defensively inclined and we lack actual goal kicking options id happily take the punt on him and back him to continue working on his defensive pressure. 2.4 goals a game in 2022 shows how potent he can be at his best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back