Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mckay will play for another 8 years, they haven't made their list better in the short, medium nor long term. They will get another top 3 pick this year and will yet again pick up another midfielder. How much will they have to pay to pick up a KPD down the line?
We don't know any of this, i know it is fun to s**t on North but McKay was a 25 year old who had barely managed to string a full season together and had one season where he was maybe close to elite. A top 3 pick over a guy who will be 28/29 by the time they are even optimistically hoping to compete for finals.

Whether it pays off or not in the long run or not they baulked at paying close to a million a year on a long term deal for an inconsistent tall with clear weaknesses. If Essendon get the best out of him then fair play but i am not going to s**t on North for hesitating paying that cost for Mckay.

This stupid arse thinking is why north are where they are at present.

Letting a kpd go for some stupid draft pick that could well turn out to be a bust. Thats not a smart decision. Thats gambling with the odds stacked against u.
They let a 25 year KPD who had not proven he was the answer, we need to stop acting like Mckay was clearly a proven key defender in a team hoping to contend for a premiership which is the end goal.

They let a 25 year KPD who had not proven he was the answer, we need to stop acting like Mckay was clearly a proven key defender in a team hoping to contend for a premiership which is the end goal.
have you seen him play this year ? are you suggesting that only Hawks, sydney, and Essendon knew his potential and North didn't ??

have you seen him play this year ? are you suggesting that only Hawks, sydney, and Essendon knew his potential and North didn't ??
I have and i am not going to let 6 weeks of footy completely dictate how i view a player. The clubs are in a different situation so it is not at all comparable.

A) Those clubs it was Mckay or nothing, for North it was Mckay or cap space and pick 3

B) Those 3 clubs and especially Sydney and Essendon have a much more aggressive timeline than North currently do

North deserve criticisms for how they got the list in the situation it is, but not forking out near a million a year for Mckay is not close to the top of the list. Phillips > McDonald when we knew what the next years draft looked like was a baffling decision at the time and never needed hindsight.

Ben McKay was a bit of a running joke until this year, at best an inconsistent, flakey defender who showed glimpses of competence every now and again. North weren’t happy with a number of ways he went about his football, so I can see why in principle they refused to make him their highest paid player.

They’re a joke of a club, but I can tell you as someone who has some family members who are north supporters, they were fine to see the back of him.

Letting a kpd go for some stupid draft pick that could well turn out to be a bust. Thats not a smart decision. Thats gambling with the odds stacked against u.
I for one am glad they actually let him go.

I called it last year that I think Duursma was the most likely bust out of the top group and he's done nothing to change my thinking on that. I know it is early days and if he has a great career that's awesome, but at least North took him off the table before we were tempted, something they couldn't do if they tried to retain McKay.

Some moneyball options we should look at, all were high picks or academy picks
Key Position
M.Jeffereson - 20
J.Busslinger - 20
M.Andrew - 20
A.Cadman - 20 throw the sink at him
L.Aleer - 22
J.Worrell - 23
Midfielders
E.Allan - 19
E.Tsatas - 19
H.Rowston - 20
T.Sonsie - 21
C.Stone - 21
R.Angwin - 21
A.Davies - 22
C.Cheeser - 22
Utilities
M.Gruzewski - 19
C.Vickery - 19
D.Jones - 20
J.Sinn - 21
B.Campbell - 22
J.Jeffrey - 22

I called it last year that I think Duursma was the most likely bust out of the top group and he's done nothing to change my thinking on that. I know it is early days and if he has a great career that's awesome, but at least North took him off the table before we were tempted, something they couldn't do if they tried to retain McKay.
I am not worried about the draft pick. What would have been noticed is players coming into the club that were being paid big money while letting go of one of their own. Its no wonder some of them want to leave

If I was North I'd have 100% let Ben McKay go for pick 3 - he was no James Frawley.

However why wouldn't you pick up 2 or 3 Key position players like Blanck or Ethan Phillips - these guys are out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree re Duursma. Just never saw it. It's come to be known that he's a bit soft too. Apparently however we were enamored with him.

I am not worried about the draft pick. What would have been noticed is players coming into the club that were being paid big money while letting go of one of their own. Its no wonder some of them want to leave
I mean that’s just footy, it happens at all clubs.

Well there you go:

They tried- Toby Pink

And Biggy

And moved Comden Back

I'm not sure Norths immediate problems would be solved with Ben McKay in there.

Call me crazy but there just might be some off field issues too.
The Clarko appointment always had danger signs of Blight / Malthouse

A big reason the Suns failed early was lack of development and facilities. Why aren't North developing and retaining their players? No point having all the picks in the world if you can't do that.

And financially, the AFL have to give them 3-4 saleable matches each year at Marvel. The Good Friday match is gold for them. This year in the first 15 rounds they host Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn and then later Richmond.

Key Position
M.Jeffereson - 20
J.Busslinger - 20
M.Andrew - 20
L.Aleer - 22
J.Worrell - 23
Midfielders
E.Allan - 19
E.Tsatas - 19
H.Rowston - 20
T.Sonsie - 21
C.Stone - 21
R.Angwin - 21
A.Davies - 22
C.Cheeser - 22
Utilities
M.Gruzewski - 19
C.Vickery - 19
D.Jones - 20
J.Sinn - 21
B.Campbell - 22
J.Jeffrey - 22
I’d definitely go after Ed Allan. Collingwood aren’t going to be giving their kids games any time soon.

M.Andrew - 20
L.Aleer - 22
E.Allan - 19
M.Gruzewski - 19
D.Jones - 20
J.Sinn - 21
B.Campbell - 22
J.Jeffrey - 22
Any of these please. Add F. Callaghan in there too

I know it’s only one game, but I watched the game he played against Box Hill and couldn’t see what all the hype was about.

Key Position
M.Jeffereson - 20
J.Busslinger - 20
M.Andrew - 20
L.Aleer - 22
J.Worrell - 23
Midfielders
E.Allan - 19
E.Tsatas - 19
H.Rowston - 20
T.Sonsie - 21
C.Stone - 21
R.Angwin - 21
A.Davies - 22
C.Cheeser - 22
Utilities
M.Gruzewski - 19
C.Vickery - 19
D.Jones - 20
J.Sinn - 21
B.Campbell - 22
J.Jeffrey - 22
Should go hard at any of the key positions. The rest are meh.

Ben McKay was a bit of a running joke until this year, at best an inconsistent, flakey defender who showed glimpses of competence every now and again. North weren’t happy with a number of ways he went about his football, so I can see why in principle they refused to make him their highest paid player.

The other consideration is you don't want people at your club who don't want to be there.
Matching remains a rarity in free agency for this reason.

This. And we have people here now saying 'let's trade Lewis for KID!' - how about no?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back