List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually I believe the Club is well within its rights to demand Sam Reid go through a searching run of hard physical tests next week.

If he passes with flying colours, I say fantastic. Play him in the 2s

If he fails or gets injured again before the cut off, write him off for the season and have a crack at the MSD.

We have nothing to lose either way.
As much as I've always been a big Sammy fan, I have to agree with you on this one Unc, every time he's seemed fit and played, he's broken down again so we just can't risk that happening in the seniors.

Well it is completely impossible that we will see him contribute if we get rid of him mid-season.

He sounds like he is a chance to play in the reserves next week. So I don't why the sudden urge to push him out.

oh come on ... it's hardly a sudden urge
i posted very early on this season that it would be great to have reid back playing at his 2022 level, he was absolutely crucial to how well we did that year
but he's 32, with a history, nay, a career of injury problems ... and he's already had a setback this season, as far as i know
if he gets back onto the field soon, yes, of course, by all means give him a crack
but this is sam reid we're talking about ... how often have we been waiting, waiting, waiting for good news, and to see him back on the field?
there is no push at all (well, not from me) to get rid of reid
but in terms of sensible list management and planning for the future, at some point the club has to deal with the reality of reid's plight now, not rely on wishful thinking that a past version of reid will magically appear fit and ready to play seniors

If McLean can get his marking form of late last year back, then we don't even have a need for Reid really IMO.

this is very much the reality
and i don't even think mclean is particularly "out of form", he's still taking marks, just not as often in the forward 50m

oh come on ... it's hardly a sudden urge
i posted very early on this season that it would be great to have reid back playing at his 2022 level, he was absolutely crucial to how well we did that year
but he's 32, with a history, nay, a career of injury problems ... and he's already had a setback this season, as far as i know
if he gets back onto the field soon, yes, of course, by all means give him a crack
but this is sam reid we're talking about ... how often have we been waiting, waiting, waiting for good news, and to see him back on the field?
there is no push at all (well, not from me) to get rid of reid
but in terms of sensible list management and planning for the future, at some point the club has to deal with the reality of reid's plight now, not rely on wishful thinking that a past version of reid will magically appear fit and ready to play seniors
The post that started this was about getting rid of reid right now to make way for someone in the midseason draft.

I don't know what the point would be in getting rid of a proven player, who doesn't have a long term injury, to open up a midseason draft spot.

We'd be getting rid of someone who could actually help us this year at some point, for someone who couldn't. It doesn't make sense.

If Reid had torn his calf and we were desperately short in some area of the ground, then it would make sense to move him on now. But he hasn't and we aren't.

The post that started this was about getting rid of reid right now to make way for someone in the midseason draft.

I don't know what the point would be in getting rid of a proven player, who doesn't have a long term injury, to open up a midseason draft spot.

We'd be getting rid of someone who could actually help us this year at some point, for someone who couldn't. It doesn't make sense.

If Reid had torn his calf and we were desperately short in some area of the ground, then it would make sense to move him on now. But he hasn't and we aren't.

and all i've done is offer my thoughts on the comparison to mclean ...
you're right, there's no pressing need for a call on reid now

The U18 AA Team played Footscray today. Swans AFL Academy player Cochrane was our only representative in the 40 man squad but missed due to a knee injury. While it seems the Lions have another top 10 pick on their hands with Ashcroft.

MATCH SNAPSHOT

AFL Academy: 1.3, 4.4, 7.5, 7.8 (50)

Footscray VFL: 4.2, 8.3, 12.4, 16.9 (105)

Goals – AFL Academy: Jobe Shanahan 2, Tyler Welsh, Sam Lalor, Harvey Langford, Luke Trainor, Jagga Smith. Footscray: Charlie Clarke 3, Ryan Gardner 3, Lachie Smith 2, Cooper Craig-Peters 2, Oskar Baker, Dominic Bedendo, Jordan Croft, Billy Crofts, Phoenix Spicer, Kai Stretton.

Best – AFL Academy: Levi Ashcroft, Josh Smillie, Jagga Smith, Luke Trainor, Bo Allan, Tobie Travaglia. Footscray: Lachie Smith, Jarrod Gilbee, Ryley Sanders, Charlie Clarke, Alex Keath, Trent Bianco.

The U18 AA Team played Footscray today. Swans AFL Academy player Cochrane was our only representative in the 40 man squad but missed due to a knee injury. While it seems the Lions have another top 10 pick on their hands with Ashcroft.

MATCH SNAPSHOT

AFL Academy: 1.3, 4.4, 7.5, 7.8 (50)

Footscray VFL: 4.2, 8.3, 12.4, 16.9 (105)

Goals – AFL Academy: Jobe Shanahan 2, Tyler Welsh, Sam Lalor, Harvey Langford, Luke Trainor, Jagga Smith. Footscray: Charlie Clarke 3, Ryan Gardner 3, Lachie Smith 2, Cooper Craig-Peters 2, Oskar Baker, Dominic Bedendo, Jordan Croft, Billy Crofts, Phoenix Spicer, Kai Stretton.

Best – AFL Academy: Levi Ashcroft, Josh Smillie, Jagga Smith, Luke Trainor, Bo Allan, Tobie Travaglia. Footscray: Lachie Smith, Jarrod Gilbee, Ryley Sanders, Charlie Clarke, Alex Keath, Trent Bianco.
Footscray on top of the VFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And others could've had Errol , in this day and age it doesn't matter who they follow .
You reckon if he went first round we wouldn't have matched? I think we would've and he was always coming to us as an academy pick.

With the benefit of hindsight, Stephens was not the player we needed from the 2019 draft. We had taken McInerney the previous year and would've known we were taking at least one of Gulden and Campbell in the 2020 draft. Plus Joey was getting on and we were already starting to show issues with our stoppage and clearance work. Serong or even Flanders would've been perfect.

But I stress, this is all hindsight and admit, I was very impressed by Stephens as a junior and excited by his recruitment. Over all, we have definitely won more than we have lost at the draft but watching Serong play last night, I did have a twinge of regret (and yes, he was a Swans fan......).

All good Have enough trouble keeping everyone one topic without left field 'we should have recruited so & so' 4 years ago comments.

It's like herding cats mate :laughv1:

How good was our 09 trade period!

Going to be interesting but I still would err on the side of keeping Reid this year, he's literally a break glass option and at worst he gives the guys in the VFL some experience this cannot be understated

Going to be interesting but I still would err on the side of keeping Reid this year, he's literally a break glass option and at worst he gives the guys in the VFL some experience this cannot be understated
Break glass options only work if the thing is there behind the glass ready to use.

Sam will always be a premiership player, has clearly worked hard to try and overcome the limitations his body has put on him, has had other valuable seasons. But if he doesn't get out on the park consistently and show that he's above VFL level (now), I'd prefer to extend Buller and draft someone in.

Break glass options only work if the thing is there behind the glass ready to use.

Sam will always be a premiership player, has clearly worked hard to try and overcome the limitations his body has put on him, has had other valuable seasons. But if he doesn't get out on the park consistently and show that he's above VFL level (now), I'd prefer to extend Buller and draft someone in.

I'm neither here or there with Reid, just know that hypothetically in a final series who do I want as the reserve, becuase this is what it is. Long term sure lets go Buller, no reason both can't be kept. Put Mills on the long term and get a MSD that way or something as if Mills is back before finals.

I'm neither here or there with Reid, just know that hypothetically in a final series who do I want as the reserve, becuase this is what it is. Long term sure lets go Buller, no reason both can't be kept. Put Mills on the long term and get a MSD that way or something as if Mills is back before finals.
If we think he'll be right for the 2nd half of the season, sure. I'm more talking about next year, but now realise you were actually talking about the MSD.

I'm fairly sure we think Mills is getting back sooner.

If we don't get a MSD pick so be it, means we have a full list available before the pointy end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back