Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Fun fact Nguyen is the second most common surname in Australia behind Smith, there are 6 Smith's in the AFL there a 0 Nguyen's

Smith, Bailey Bulldogs
Smith, Brodie Crows
Smith, Henry Lions
Smith, Joel Demons
Smith, Kaleb Tigers

food for thought
Source please.

I’d be very, very surprised if this was actually correct, according to White Pages data.

Looking at Bureau of Statistics data for country of origin ancestry, I find this hard to believe.

Was BOG last week. Got to chat to him at half time.
He'd devised a sound strategy to combat Whitlock on the basis of watching his round 1 game and playing on him during the pre-season.
Gave Jack no space and completely nullified his marking ability in doing so. Thankfully he had the tank to keep with Jack.
View attachment 1951780
View attachment 1951781
View attachment 1951782
Next time you speak to him can you please tell him to take it easy for a few months please? ;)

Source please.

I’d be very, very surprised if this was actually correct, according to White Pages data.

Looking at Bureau of Statistics data for country of origin ancestry, I find this hard to believe.

* maybe not 100% accurate but in "Metro Areas", those Nguyen's won't go bush. I hope recruiters notice this pointless fact.
Maybe they should consider if BT can work out how to pronounce it because even the Viets can't

* maybe not 100% accurate but in "Metro Areas", those Nguyen's won't go bush. I hope recruiters notice this pointless fact.
Maybe they should consider if BT can work out how to pronounce it because even the Viets can't

I’m not having a go at you, and I’m certainly not singling out the Vietnamese community here.

My questioning your claim is more about statistics and data (my wife is from Vietnam and is a quantitative and qualitative research methodology lecturer at university).

The two largest ethnic communities in Australia are the Chinese and Indian communities, both making up about 5% each of the population. Where as the Vietnamese community makes up 1.3% of the population.

So I would be surprised if Lee and Singh weren’t the most common ethnic community surnames after the top UK surnames; Smith, Jones, Williams, etc.

Joining former Collingwood/GWV Rebels Flynn Appleby who has done extremely well over there.

Appleby’s journey has been so good to see. He’s only a sophomore so could be considered for the coming NFL drafts.

I expect more kids will look to go down that pathway. It’s a free degree and experience in a more professional environment (college outstrips AFL), particularly the more academic ones.

I’m not having a go at you, and I’m certainly not singling out the Vietnamese community here.

My questioning your claim is more about statistics and data (my wife is from Vietnam and is a quantitative and qualitative research methodology lecturer at university).

The two largest ethnic communities in Australia are the Chinese and Indian communities, both making up about 5% each of the population. Where as the Vietnamese community makes up 1.3% of the population.

So I would be surprised if Lee and Singh weren’t the most common ethnic community surnames after the top UK surnames; Smith, Jones, Williams, etc.
All good M8,
It's only taken 50 years to get a draft prospect, Its either genetics, too much violin and maths study or Pho and Banh mi have no place in an Elite Athletes Diet. Correlation? Causation? Who TF knows. All the best to the kid

All good M8,
It's only taken 50 years to get a draft prospect, Its either genetics, too much violin and maths study or Pho and Banh mi have no place in an Elite Athletes Diet. Correlation? Causation? Who TF knows. All the best to the kid
Soccer.

There's only one sport in the Vietnamese psyche. Well, table tennis as well.

That, and many ethnic communities, especially Asian communities, don't see sport as a legitimate career pathway. Especially if you don't earn life changing money in your first two contracts. You're fighting your parents and culture to get anywhere.

Soccer.

There's only one sport in the Vietnamese psyche. Well, table tennis as well.

That, and many ethnic communities, especially Asian communities, don't see sport as a legitimate career pathway. Especially if you don't earn life changing money in your first two contracts. You're fighting your parents and culture to get anywhere.
AFL’s had a weird story with migrants. It’s not like fans don’t care and it’s not like migrants don’t play (I’ve played with Indians before at local level) Some of the best AFL players have been migrants (Dipper, Jerusalenko, etc).

Size might play a part with Vietnamese and SE Asian nations as well. On average, people from these countries are smaller. Ruck is often a position that professionals convert to and play in.

The cultural element is true. Parent support is so important to a sporting journey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would the top 10 be right now if the season ended today.
These are my 10 right now, reckon with another month Lalor would be around it

Josh Smillie
Finn O’Sullivan
Sid Draper
Levi Ashcroft
Luke Trainor
Tom Gross
Taj Hotton
Jagga Smith
Christian Moraes
Harry O’Farrell

If I'm reading it right: