Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

The 4th biggest H & A crowd of all time. 3rd biggest ANZAC Day crowd.

2nd highest crowd for a draw, if you want a pointless stat.
Considering a few possibly taking a long weekend opportunity, 93,644 as good as you can expect. Essendon’s biggest home crowd and a match that lived up to expectations. It really is a showpiece event on the AFL calendar.

Considering a few possibly taking a long weekend opportunity, 93,644 as good as you can expect. Essendon’s biggest home crowd and a match that lived up to expectations. It really is a showpiece event on the AFL calendar.

Last year was a miracle. It’s so hard to get 95k to any H & A match.

Makes you wonder what the true pulling power of Anzac Day actually is as it sold out in a day.

Could it hit 120K if the capacity was there?

Pointless I know, as it will never happen, but I wonder how many it could pull with infinite seating.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Probably not 120,000 but the next MCG upgrade to replace the now Shane Warne Stand is supposed to take the capacity to 110,000.

Last edited:
I think it would as the Giants are now quite popular in Canberra now where they currently have over 6000 members.
The crowd of 13,080 tonight at Manuka for the Anzac Day match, was our highest ever home crowd against Brisbane in either of our two home grounds. The previous highest attendance at Manuka vs Brisbane was 10,461 whilst the previous highest home crowd attendance vs Brisbane at Giants Stadium was 12,268.

The crowd of 13,080 tonight at Manuka for the Anzac Day match, was our highest ever home crowd against Brisbane in either of our two home grounds. The previous highest attendance at Manuka vs Brisbane was 10,461 whilst the previous highest home crowd attendance vs Brisbane at Giants Stadium was 12,268.
Of GWS’s 35 home games at Manuka Oval, this was their 7th largest.

The earlier game this year vs St Kilda is the 9th largest.

Perhaps time to start trying to increase the capacity over 15,000.

Makes you wonder what the true pulling power of Anzac Day actually is as it sold out in a day.

Pointless I know, as it will never happen, but I wonder how many it could pull with infinite seating.

Probs around 120,000 I’d say, certainly this year. Could even be more.

Agree - people tend to forget that the G only has a seated capacity of around 95k. The rest is standing room. For the standing room, they don’t release anywhere near the amount they do for the GF for a H&A game.
They also don't seem to sell the restricted view seats near both scoreboards that they sell for GF day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

of course Anzac Day would hit 120k

imagine if anyone could walk up and buy a ticket at the gate on the day

just like big finals it would fill easy

And no 'throwing around free tickets like confetti' like our trolling mate on the other thread claims any time the crowds are good in Canberra.

Looking forward to Geelong / Carlton tomorrow. The AFL Members' area has basically sold the middle third of the top tier and has started on the back third, so it's outstripping ANZAC Eve.

There's no reason this can't hit high 70s and maybe even get to 80k. Geelong is capable of bringing very big crowds when the circumstances are good, which they most definitely are this week.

Collingwood/Geelong have had 10 matches get over 75k, including ones that came before the clubs had any recent finals history etc. Geelong have also generated big crowds against Essendon when both teams were firing and obviously has several large crowds against Hawthorn, so I'm confident this one is going to be big as well.

Looking forward to Geelong / Carlton tomorrow. The AFL Members' area has basically sold the middle third of the top tier and has started on the back third, so it's outstripping ANZAC Eve.

There's no reason this can't hit high 70s and maybe even get to 80k. Geelong is capable of bringing very big crowds when the circumstances are good, which they most definitely are this week.

Collingwood/Geelong have had 10 matches get over 75k, including ones that came before the clubs had any recent finals history etc. Geelong have also generated big crowds against Essendon when both teams were firing and obviously has several large crowds against Hawthorn, so I'm confident this one is going to be big as well.
As mentioned previously they have put the whole olympic stand on sale. Q51-Q55 are barely touched from row K-MM, its just greed with wanting more money. Same as Ponsford rows A-R.
They should be allowing for 30K GA members to scan in on the day rather than pricing people out with $40 level 4 seats in the clouds. Richmond wanted $45 on Wednesday and Essendon $78 for the additional on sale, it really angers me how expensive they make it.

This should be an 80K crowd but the AFL/clubs continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

I know the Hawthorn v Sydney one is not as appealing but that will be an intriguing watch for mine.

40,000+ is overs so hoping the old South Melbourne fans head in for this.

I know the Hawthorn v Sydney one is not as appealing but that will be an intriguing watch for mine.

They're making a big deal out of giving both sets of fans an opportunity to say farewell to Buddy as well. Might drag a few more along. 4pm on Sunday not ideal though.

I would have thought something around 30,000.

Do we know what the record for aggregate MCG attendances in a single round is? This round could potentially go as high as 290,000 - more likely something around 270,000.

I would have thought something around 30,000.

Do we know what the record for aggregate MCG attendances in a single round is? This round could potentially go as high as 290,000 - more likely something around 270,000.

The record is 291,473 from Round 1 last year.

Rich/Carl, Coll/Geel, Melb/WB & Haw/Ess.

If Geelong/Carlton gets over 70k it will be the most the MCG has ever got from 3 games in the same round. The Haw/Syd one will probably not get as much as Melb/WB did last year though, which will probably see the total for all 4 games fall short.

Hopeful to avg 75k vs Geel, Coll, Melb.

The numbers might say otherwise but I hate this twilight time slot, if you have something on during the day you sometimes have to miss and if you have something on at night you can't go, it's a double whammy. Would have thought 1pm would be the preferred time slot for Geelong fans to get up and back down the highway. Wish we could be like the Pies and tell the AFL we aren't playing after 2pm on a Saturday or Sunday.

Whoever asked if Kings Birthday Eve is a marquee game, I guess it is but kind of like a D Tier marquee game lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back