2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Ralphy confirming yet again we are in the market for a rebounding half back… all 3 x 1st rd picks on the table… and looking to draft a key back as an eventual Collins replacement.
That would be a near perfect off season. Trade in Rioli, get Lombard and the best defender in the draft.

That would be a near perfect off season. Trade in Rioli, get Lombard and the best defender in the draft.
Jedd Busslinger is without a contract at the dogs for next year.

A few of us wanted to draft him a couple years back.

Stuck behind a reasonably solid dogs Key backline.

Might be worth a look. Maybe a hit if a late bloomer like Collins himself.

Jedd Busslinger is without a contract at the dogs for next year.

A few of us wanted to draft him a couple years back.

Stuck behind a reasonably solid dogs Key backline.

Might be worth a look. Maybe a hit if a late bloomer like Collins himself.
To be stuck behind Collins, Ballard, Andrew and possibly Read for 3 years.

Gold Coast is open to trading one or more of its first-round picks as its chase for an elite half back in the Lachie Whitfield mould continues.
The Suns have their own pick, the Dogs first-rounder and the Roos end-of-first-rounder after smart trades last year.

It means if they could get contracted Richmond defender Dan Rioli over the line they have so much trade collateral to offer.

Suns football boss Wayne Campbell says the club is philosophically open to discussions on one or more of those early selections.

But as he said of Rioli: “He is a contracted player”.

The Suns will desperately attempt to keep ruckman Ned Moyle despite Jarrod Witts’ two-year deal.

Moyle was extremely impressive against Geelong — albeit against a fellow youngster in Toby Conway — with 16 contested possessions and 42 hit-outs.

Clubs like St Kilda and Collingwood could be in the market for ruckmen, while the Dogs interest in a ruck will depend on Tim English’s decision.

Adelaide has Reilly O’Brien, who is only 28, so would be less likely to chase another ruckman.

While the Suns have last year’s No. 9 draft pick Ethan Read as an exciting young talent, they believe he could be a key position player rather than first ruck and therefore believe Moyle is very much a part of their future if he wants to stay.

If he left they would need to find another developing ruck after putting so much time into Moyle.

To be stuck behind Collins, Ballard, Andrew and possibly Read for 3 years.
Why we looking for a Collins replacement for then? 🤷🏽‍♂️ seems odd
We do have a 198cm 2023 U16 AA key defender in our academy that just got chosen to represent the Allies at the national championships as a bottom ager. Convincing Kalani White to choose us over the Dees next year could be huge for the club.

We do have a 198cm 2023 U16 AA key defender in our academy that just got chosen to represent the Allies at the national championships as a bottom ager. Convincing Kalani White to choose us over the Dees next year could be huge for the club.
That was un-deserved if you believe those on the draft board that watched the games. Nice for him to have on his CV though.

Dimma has played 36 players this year… so it will be interesting who he cuts/trades etc. If we hold 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders and list size is cut back this year could we see maybe 3 picks top? I reckon trades/retirement and delistings would currently be on the table for the likes of:

Faulkhead (Rookie)
Casboult
Oea
Brock (Rookie)
C Graham - Trade to Kangas
Tsistas (Rookie)
Day
McPherson
Atkins
Ellis
Moyle (Hope not)

Going to need to promote Uwland 3rd year rookie and would have to promote Clohesy as well. So if we promote 2 rookies, draft Lombard plus one other kid then maybe get Rioli that’s 5 main list spots. Then we need to drop 3 (4 if we draft mid season) more rookies then if the afl cuts as back to normal list sizes. So if that was to pan out that’s 10 players leaving this year that would be huge.

Dimma has played 36 players this year… so it will be interesting who he cuts/trades etc. If we hold 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders and list size is cut back this year could we see maybe 3 picks top? I reckon trades/retirement and delistings would currently be on the table for the likes of:

Faulkhead (Rookie)
Casboult
Oea
Brock (Rookie)
Tsistas (Rookie)
Day
McPherson
Atkins
Ellis
Moyle (Hope not)

Going to need to promote Uwland 3rd year rookie and would have to promote Clohesy as well. So if we promote 2 rookies, draft Lombard plus one other kid then maybe get Rioli that’s 5 main list spots. Then we need to drop 3 (4 if we draft mid season) more rookies then if the afl cuts as back to normal list sizes. So if that was to pan out that’s 10 players leaving this year that would be huge.
Dont think Atkins is OOC.

These are according to footywire

NameYears ServiceStatus
4​
Non-Free Agent​
13​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
8​
Restricted Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
5​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
9​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
1​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
7​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
1​
Unknown​
14​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
11​
Unrestricted Free Agent​

That was un-deserved if you believe those on the draft board that watched the games. Nice for him to have on his CV though.
Well if that was undeserved then I'd suggest he's dramatically improved this year considering he just got picked to represent the Allies as a bottom ager. I remember these same BF draft onlookers would say Walter in his bottom age year was just a manchild and wasn't a true standout draft prospect. Think it's fair to say Jed has proven that wrong so I take these assessments from the BF draft onlookers with a grain of salt until I see differently with my own eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Faulkhead (Rookie)
Casboult
Oea
Brock (Rookie)
Tsistas (Rookie)
Day
McPherson
Atkins
Ellis
Moyle (Hope not)
I could see a lot of those names going unless they take some lowball VFL level contracts. It is probably needed for cap too, moving forward.

Maybe we can take a few rookie spots on VFL/SANFL/WAFL punts to replace them for cheap. Could get another Clohesy, or end up with a Tsistas or McLaughlin type. Either way they at least play VFL to a high standard, and might be a diamond in the rough best 22 find.

For depth, we could focus on getting a developing tall back (Brock I’m not sure on, and Graham is Graham).

But a bigger focus should be a good small forward, winger and halfback to bolster depth.

A ruck if Moyle leaves (which would be sad, but fair enough) is also needed.

We have midfield depth if we just get one mid draftee/overage rookie a year for now.

Then our A grade head hunting trades should go for the best halfback or small forward we can get, as that could instantly skyrocket our team.

But yeah, could see a big list change at end of year, especially if we get 2-3 decent enough trades coming in.

Last off-season 9 players left.

At the moment we got 1 spot left on senior list.

Senior players off contract - Casboult, Moyle, Davies, Ainsworth, Macpherson, Oea, Ellis, Holman, Lemmens.

You would expect Casboult to retire and at least one of Moyle, Davies, Ainsworth could be gone. That would be 3 spots available.

Ellis also looks like to retire. Oea candidate to delist, the rest could go too if needed. C Graham could look for a new home.

Bringing in 1-2 players in trade, Uwland upgrade to senior list, Lombard drafted, possibly 1-2 more draftees to senior/rookie list.

Current rookie list
Uwland - does need to go on senior list
Clohesy - can stay on rookie list
Day - retire? one more year as depth?
Brock - does need to go on senior list, delisted?
Tsitas
Faulkhead
Rowlands
Mahony

Cat B
Johnston - can stay on rookie list

Is Moyle more essential to our future than ballard?
What do you think?

I don't think you want to break up brotherhood of 5 - Ballard, Lukosius, King, Rowell, Anderson.

I would rotate Witts with Moyle more. Witt usually struggles after 3 games in a row (was pretty ordinary against BigO and Xerri).

Last edited:
What do you think?
Collins has another 3 years, pair him with mac at chb with powell and jeffrey intercepting, uwland lockdown and rioli rebounding, then we could develop Read down there as well, AND draft the AA u18 full back. I kinda like it. Then in 2 years we move to Moyle in the ruck.

Collins has another 3 years, pair him with mac at chb with powell and jeffrey intercepting, uwland lockdown and rioli rebounding, then we could develop Read down there as well, i kinda like it. Then in 2 years we move to Moyle in the ruck.
We probably have to play Moyle more this year to convince him staying. I suspect Magpies could offer him attractive alternative.

Is Moyle more essential to our future than ballard?
I think Ballard is more important to most teams. But for our team, we need ruck dominance. Our mids don’t function without it…

Still, even with that, if the choice was, right now, Moyle or Ballard? I’d choose Ballard. He is coming into his prime years.

We’d get a low grade replacement ruck if Moyle left and hope for the best, just like most teams do, plus rotate Mac more in there.

Quality intercepting defenders aren’t everywhere, and we have 3 in Collins, Mac and Ballard, plus Powell.

I think Ballard is more important to most teams. But for our team, we need ruck dominance. Our mids don’t function without it…

Still, even with that, if the choice was, right now, Moyle or Ballard? I’d choose Ballard. He is coming into his prime years.

We’d get a low grade replacement ruck if Moyle left and hope for the best, just like most teams do, plus rotate Mac more in there.

Quality intercepting defenders aren’t everywhere, and we have 3 in Collins, Mac and Ballard, plus Powell.

Ballard type players don’t grow on trees

Last off-season 9 players left.

At the moment we got 1 spot left on senior list.

Senior players off contract - Casboult, Moyle, Davies, Ainsworth, Macpherson, Oea, Ellis, Holman, Lemmens.

You would expect Casboult to retire and at least one of Moyle, Davies, Ainsworth could be gone. That would be 3 spots available.

Ellis also looks like to retire. Oea candidate to delist, the rest could go too if needed. C Graham could look for a new home.

Bringing in 1-2 players in trade, Uwland upgrade to senior list, Lombard drafted, possibly 1-2 more draftees to senior/rookie list.

Current rookie list
Uwland - does need to go on senior list
Clohesy - can stay on rookie list
Day - retire? one more year as depth?
Brock - does need to go on senior list, delisted?
Tsitas
Faulkhead
Rowlands
Mahony

Cat B
Johnston - can stay on rookie list
Day is on the main list still. He was picked up in the pre season draft not the rookie. So he will open up a main list spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back