2022 Paris-Roubaix

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I noticed about van Baarle's riding last night was that he rode every single cobbled section in the gutter, only venturing onto the cobblestones when there was absolutely no way of avoiding it. All of the riders took advantage of the gutters, but he was always in the gutter - even when the others were riding on the cobblestones.

There is, of course, absolutely nothing wrong with this - other than the 2x sectors where the verge was deliberately blocked by the race organisers (Arenberg & the paved sector (#4?)). Doing so gave him a much smoother ride than that enjoyed by the riders on the cobblestones, albeit at a higher risk of punctures (and he was very lucky in this regard). Less jarring = energy saved = energy for his push at the end. Full credit to him - it was a risky strategy, but one which paid off handsomely, resulting in a thoroughly well deserved win.

I wonder if the other riders will review his strategy, and opt for spending more time in the gutters next year. We may end up seeing more sectors like Arenberg, where the organisers fence off the gutters, forcing the riders onto the cobblestones.

I wonder if the other riders will review his strategy, and opt for spending more time in the gutters next year.
OTOH they can also end up like Lampaert being flung off their bike because the spectators don't step back off the smooth concreted edge that they're trying to ride on.

If the organisers can fence off more of the cobbled sections (both to force the riders over the cobbles and to separate the spectators from the road) it'd be a good thing imo

OTOH they can also end up like Lampaert being flung off their bike because the spectators don't step back off the smooth concreted edge that they're trying to ride on.
That would be another of the risks, along with an increased risk of puncturing. Highlights just how lucky van Baarle was.

Then again, as they said on the commentary, Roubaix often comes down to luck - you don't need good luck, you just need to avoid any bad luck. van Baarle did just that.
If the organisers can fence off more of the cobbled sections (both to force the riders over the cobbles and to separate the spectators from the road) it'd be a good thing imo
Agreed, 100%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back