Votes: 27 16.8%
  • 36. Josh Honey

Votes: 50 31.1%
  • 44. Matthew Owies

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

DsoiCZfUwAEgpbt.jpg

I think Honey is going to explode next year. He's got all the tools and some of the glimpses this year were very exciting.

I had Philp as my second choice, his speed is a need for us and think he will get an opportunity and take it.

Of course I had Stocker also, just not sure this is the year he gets a good run at the midfield given there are a few seasoned mids ahead of him. I've no doubt he'll make it count when he gets his go.

I can’t see anything other than injury stopping Brodie Kemp showing us what he’s got next year. Really hoping he has an uninterrupted pre-season and gets a game early in the year. Special talent.
True you'll throw $10 in to my benevolent fund for every sidestep, Sin?

If Kemp can be top 10 at our club, that’s a huge BO.

It's interesting. A lot of love in here for Kemp (and rightly so) but he's one of the very few options named in the poll who I'm confident won't break out in 2022.

Super talent and I think he'll be terrific for us long-term, but he's missed a lot of footy over the past 18 months.

My only hope for Brodie is that he completes a full preseason and gets games into his legs - whether that's at AFL or VFL level I don't particularly care.

Sure he'll play senior footy next year but tipping he's not someone we'll see 'break out' for a couple more years.

Dow and Honey are my two picks to truly break out in 2022. Philp an outside shot (I am biased) but much like Kemp I'm just hoping we'll see him stay injury free and playing week in, week out.

Thought Jack Silvagni broke out last season?

Why no Jarrod Waite option ? Just oozes potential.

Okay, seriously Owies and Stocker are my lads who are going to have a significant impact in 2022. Kemp still another 12 months away imo

Thought Jack Silvagni broke out last season?

Don't think so. Certainly bounced back strongly from an injury ravaged 2020, but I'd say he reverted to the form he showed in 2019.

You can mount a case for Jack having broken out twice - once in 2017 and again in 2019.

Think he has another level to reach which can come through continuity.

I've got a working team of 20 atm, with 2 spots up for grabs in my Best 22 at some stage of next season.

Of those 20, i guess we could categorise Marchbank, Kemp, Honey, The King, Dow and Stocker as "breakout" candidates. I think all will have strong years. Powerful AFL style players. Fingers crossed for Marchy as always.

Can a Coleman Medalist be a breakout player??? lol. Harry will go berserk next year. He is entering beast mode. Getting quicker, bigger, stronger, smarter, cockier, organised.

After the bye, the dawn may finally arrive. A fit, firing, matchfit McKay, Curnow, McGovern, Silvagni, DeKonning setup playing together. A "breakout" tall grouping centre/forward.

Exciting times. It's hard to still be patient, but i'm a patient man. We are starting again with a complete new coaching group and players that still largely aren't used to winning, so it will be a huge effort to get it all working straight off the bat. But it shouldn't take too long.

I'm buckled in and ready for the ride. Gonna be an exciting 6 to 8 years imo.

Lots who can but not all will.

Likely to take Big Steps
Honey, Stocker, DeKoning, Durdin, Philp and Kemp.

Might take Big Steps
Carroll, Dow, O'Brien, McGovern, Martin, Fisher, Marchbank, Cuningham and Owies.

Have taken big steps but could go even better with less injuries.
Curnow, McKay, Silvagni, Williams

I've got a working team of 20 atm, with 2 spots up for grabs in my Best 22 at some stage of next season.

Of those 20, i guess we could categorise Marchbank, Kemp, Honey, The King, Dow and Stocker as "breakout" candidates. I think all will have strong years. Powerful AFL style players. Fingers crossed for Marchy as always.

Can a Coleman Medalist be a breakout player??? lol. Harry will go berserk next year. He is entering beast mode. Getting quicker, bigger, stronger, smarter, cockier, organised.

After the bye, the dawn may finally arrive. A fit, firing, matchfit McKay, Curnow, McGovern, Silvagni, DeKonning setup playing together. A "breakout" tall grouping centre/forward.

Exciting times. It's hard to still be patient, but i'm a patient man. We are starting again with a complete new coaching group and players that still largely aren't used to winning, so it will be a huge effort to get it all working straight off the bat. But it shouldn't take too long.

It's a bit scary what Harry might be. Missed the equivalent of four games this year and won the Coleman and it's obvious to all that he has other levels he can reach.

If we couple this with better coaching and structures and as a result more quality opportunities good luck to anyone playing against him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly won’t hurt Harry getting quality delivery from Cerra and Hewett being added into the mix (and if Dow’s kicking continues to improve like it did in the back of the season)…

Cripps (re-breakout) C Curnow, Dow, Kennedy. Get the grunt firing rest will come along nicely. Throw Willams, Saad, and Martin in as well.
Basically potential no more if all 'proven at times' quality pull their finger out over preseason and earn their keep we will start to look pretty good. Voss getting them galvanised and pulling in the one direction we should see a breakout 22.

This thread sure has had me salivating. Just paid up for memberships yesterday and so looking forward to a break out season from Carlton.
My man Stocks is my number one of course. Question is, does he continue in defence or does Vossy move him into the coalface. Maybe he spends around 70% in defence and 30%in the middle. Regardless I am excited to see his improvement, just love the kid.
Number two for me is Jack Carroll, really enjoyed watching him play in the VFL this year. I think with an uninterrupted pre-season he can break into the team and have a real impact.
Number three is Sam Philp. He is a real tackling machine and has great burst and speed. This will help our slightly slow midfield become a lot better balanced.
Would also love to see LOB have a break out year as well. He does have the tools to be a seriously good winger, just hope that Vossy can get the best out of him.

Don't think so. Certainly bounced back strongly from an injury ravaged 2020, but I'd say he reverted to the form he showed in 2019.

You can mount a case for Jack having broken out twice - once in 2017 and again in 2019.

Think he has another level to reach which can come through continuity.

Jacks 2019 was good but taking 2021 away from him is unfair he hit personal bests in almost every facet of his game.

Jacks 2019 was good but taking 2021 away from him is unfair he hit personal bests in almost every facet of his game.

Not taking anything away from him, he had a good year.

Just not sure it was better than his 2019.

In 2021 he achieved personal bests for behinds, hitouts, frees for, inside 50s.

Not sure that's enough to qualify as a breakout season.

Not taking anything away from him, he had a good year.

Just not sure it was better than his 2019.

In 2021 he achieved personal bests for behinds, hitouts, frees for, inside 50s.

Not sure that's enough to qualify as a breakout season.
I think there’s some variance in opinion on what ‘break out’ means.

I’d argue that improving to solidify a spot in the best 22 is not breaking out, it’s stepping up, it’s improving, however you want to phrase it.

My take is that breaking out isn’t just about locking in your spot each week, but it’s becoming recognised across the comp as being (at least) above average in your position.

To use some fantasy references, in SuperCoach a ‘breakout candidate’ is usually someone in the mid-tier (scores and price) who’s potentially going to set up into the premium category. It’s not a perfect comparison, as we know the scoring weighting isn’t a pure representation of what he opens on field, but I think it’s fairly apt.

I’d say Harry broke out this year. Weitering broke out last year. Cripps and Walsh are a little harder as you’re comparing to a higher volume of cream-of-the-crop players, but I’d probably say 2018 and this year, respectively as genuine break out performances.

Perhaps I’m marking too harshly here. Fisher (hf) is probably the one standing out to me as a chance, followed by Stocker (def(/mid?)) and Cuningham (fwd/mid). Then again, Parish really upped the ante almost out of now where, so maybe we see Dow, Fogarty, Jack or someone made some huge strides next season.

We may not have any genuine breakout candidates in that list this year, and that’s ok, provided we see real improvement across the list above and hopefully quite a few of them solidify their spot in the 22.

Voted Stocker, Carroll and Philp.
Also hoping O’Brien and Williamson have a good 2022.
Cuningham coming back from injury to do well in the second half of the season.

This thread shows we are all very positive about our youth, or have our Navy tinted glasses on. But I love it and am fully running with the positivity of our youth.

For me, Stocker has already had somewhat of a breakout year and I now expect him to go to another level with more midfield time.

The players I believe will step up under Voss are:

- LOB. Although now on the rookie list and really at the crossroads, I expect him to become that proper wingman going back to help create opportunities and burn off his opponents with his endurance before delivering beautifully into our forwards lace out. The kid has it but need a coach that believes in him and I think Voss will.

- Dow. Expect Voss to take Dow under his wing in this preseason. Dow can be a very Voss like player. He has the break out speed and strength for a youngster but needs to trust himself more. His kicking needs more work but I fully expect this time next year us to be very very happy with his 2022 campaign.

Now there are 5 others I fully expect to step up and get more game time and show their worth. Philp, Carroll, Honey, Durdin and TDK.

Even if 3 of those 7 really cement themselves into our best 23, 2022 will be a very exciting year imo

Back