2021 Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

He'd be a one pointer, he's a local.

I think you could give them 100 points old mate, not sure it would change much. Players of today tend to go the premiers to win a flag.

I'm not sure you'd get as much satisfaction going to a top club to top up on a flag or lead a side like Castlemaine to finals, it's as big as challenge as any in country footy to get Maine into finals

What points would Kal Huntly be?

i honesty reckon clubs like Castlemaine, Inglewood in the LVFNL should be given huge points concessions

He'd be a one pointer, he's a local.

I think you could give them 100 points old mate, not sure it would change much. Players of today tend to go the premiers to win a flag.

I'm not sure you'd get as much satisfaction going to a top club to top up on a flag or lead a side like Castlemaine to finals, it's as big as challenge as any in country footy to get Maine into finals

I don’t disagree mate but let’s just say that if they were able to attract 10 to 12 or so quality players but then can’t for them in due to points that would be a disgrace

Yep just let them have unlimited points for 2 years. They still have a salary, if Huntly goes there, that's 3 one pointers, but they need 18 senior footballers, from what I saw this year

I don’t disagree mate but let’s just say that if they were able to attract 10 to 12 or so quality players but then can’t for them in due to points that would be a disgrace

Yep just let them have unlimited points for 2 years. They still have a salary, if Huntly goes there, that's 3 one pointers, but they need 18 senior footballers, from what I saw this year
Yep that is the problem isn't it Trent. Points and salary caps will always anchor a club to the bottom of a ladder. Unless of course the Castlemaine 16's and 18's are in excellent shape. Otherwise, it's game over!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep the problem is you need a core 10_14 senior local footballers, Rhats what all premiership sides have, they play on low points, its easy to top with a couple of recruits, and it's an easy sell to come play in a flag

Yep that is the problem isn't it Trent. Points and salary caps will always anchor a club to the bottom of a ladder. Unless of course the Castlemaine 16's and 18's are in excellent shape. Otherwise, it's game over!

First off it’s absolutely great that Maine are having a real go at getting some locals across. If they are ever to be sustainably good they must get locals to back the team so hats off to them creating some kind of buzz. It may cost dollars but better it goes to local players. Someone like Henderson will need to take over coaching in a year or two time and get the joint really buzzing. Coming from so far back could you imagine the legacy you would have saying you were apart of the great rebuild of a proud club like Castlemaine. If there are some wise heads around the place they would be selling that. Winning a flag is special, don’t get me wrong but making your local club a powerhouse again in that region for someone that is retired that has chased and played in a flag, I’d be advising locals to build something special instead of chasing money/flags. Everyone in that town should be pulling in that direction, sponsers, players, supporters. Everyone can do something and it will add in bettering the club in the long term even if they think there little bit won’t matter it will.

I see tricky Ricky is trying to help Kyneton get some recruits, a key back and fwd, does this approach to recruiting work?
It’s an interesting move. Do you read it that they are desperate and not having much luck to date? Or on the flip side that they are having a go at casting the net as far and wide as they can? I reckon it’s risky business, but then I guess you never know unless you try. I see they’ve signed an on baller from Tullamarine already, does anyone know much about him?

It’s an interesting move. Do you read it that they are desperate and not having much luck to date? Or on the flip side that they are having a go at casting the net as far and wide as they can? I reckon it’s risky business, but then I guess you never know unless you try. I see they’ve signed an on baller from Tullamarine already, does anyone know much about him?

What is said on ballers name?

I see tricky Ricky is trying to help Kyneton get some recruits, a key back and fwd, does this approach to recruiting work?

Don’t mind it as long as they use it properly. Prob doesnt look fantastic but It is another avenue. As long as they are picky about who comes into the club, paying what they can afford would be a key requirement too. Until there Juniors come thru in large numbers they will always have to recruit from Melbourne.

Don’t mind it as long as they use it properly. Prob doesnt look fantastic but It is another avenue. As long as they are picky about who comes into the club, paying what they can afford would be a key requirement too. Until there Juniors come thru in large numbers they will always have to recruit from Melbourne.

I believe it’s got to do with a sportsman function that couldn’t go ahead with Covid this year.
I see nothing wrong with it, with today’s technology it is very easy to do research on any name that comes through before you decide if you want to Persue.

Speaking to a mate who is heavily involved in EDFL he believes Kyneton have got a real good one in Dean Bartrop. Has been named in numerous team of the years and has regularly had premier league clubs chasing his signature. He also mentioned if they can land his brother Adam who is also at Tulla they will have picked up 2 top 5 players to their club.

I haven’t heard much more re Kyneton, except for the fact that 95% of last years list is locked away and they will again continue look to develop their locals.
Having 6 players on their list playing NAB League footy this years shows they are certainly heading in the right direction.

I believe it’s got to do with a sportsman function that couldn’t go ahead with Covid this year.
I see nothing wrong with it, with today’s technology it is very easy to do research on any name that comes through before you decide if you want to Persue.

Speaking to a mate who is heavily involved in EDFL he believes Kyneton have got a real good one in Dean Bartrop. Has been named in numerous team of the years and has regularly had premier league clubs chasing his signature. He also mentioned if they can land his brother Adam who is also at Tulla they will have picked up 2 top 5 players to their club.

I haven’t heard much more re Kyneton, except for the fact that 95% of last years list is locked away and they will again continue look to develop their locals.
Having 6 players on their list playing NAB League footy this years shows they are certainly heading in the right direction.

If they get it right they should be a real strong club I think

That would have helped if I typed his name. Dean Bartrop.

He is a good pick up for the club. Good player and quality person. Things are going ok for Kyneton which is good to see. They are trying hard to avoid the ‘boom or bust’ environment that has been commonplace in recent years. A stable committee is working hard and finally there seems to be a sustainable light at the end of the tunnel. Another bonus is how fashionable Kyneton has become with tree changers which is certainly going to help the club going forward.

Last edited:
Castemaines pretty popular with tree changers too, as are Drouin and Warragul. Those towns have almost changed identities, where people moving there don't really care about footy as much as generations that moved there before.

Good to see Kyenton on the up, any chance of luring weightman back or Mahony going back to the borough?

He is a good pick up for the club. Good player and quality person. Things are going ok for Kyneton which is good to see. They are trying hard to avoid the ‘boom or bust’ environment that has been commonplace in recent years. A stable committee is working hard and finally there seems to a sustainable light at the end of the tunnel. Another bonus is how fashionable Kyneton has become with tree changers which is certainly going to help the club going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back