2021 Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Just imagine poor hay in the golden rivers, they travel 200+ ks every second week.

Most league's have travel of at least an hour for the longest though, it's not metro footy

Travel excuse needs to be taken with a grain of salt these days especially from players…they get paid a small fortune so should play wherever

[
Devon Welshpool Wron Won Woodside probably the greatest named merged team of all time!

Great name but folded as a club some years ago. Woodside recommended as its own entity and now is quite a successful club in the North Gippsland FNL.

Lots of successful merged entities around, especially in Southern NSW/ Riverina. Clubs such as,
the famous Ganmain Grong Grong Matong have been a powerhouse for years in the Riverina FNL.
Mangoplah Cookardina Eastlakes, Collingullie Glenfield Park and Leeton Whitton in the Riverina FNL have all been very strong for many years.

The Rock Yerong Creek, East Wagga Kooringal and Ardlethan Ariah Park Mirrool are all successful entities in the Farrer FNL.

Mergers can work, just take time, commitment and having the right people/ community support to make them successful. It's inevitable there will be some in central Victoria. It's only time and the determination of many stalwarts that are holding them off at this time. It's just like the boy plugging the hole in the dam wall with his finger trying to stop the leak.

Last edited:
Most recent mergers have worked. Southern Mallee giants and Ouyen United are too recent ones that have worked fantastic for their communities. That's such an old school thought mergers don't work, more and more will occur. Look at the work Charlton and wyche are doing, but too much old school thoughts held it back.

Division footy in the country will never work. The gap is too large, look at Locky couldn't sustain it within the Bendigo league and they are the best side outside the Bendigo league.

Harrow-Balmoral

Regardless of thoughts on travel I think it's a poor effort by AFL Goldfields to have 30 district teams in just 2 leagues. RDFL was/is under their jurisdiction too so that's another 12 clubs.

It's my opinion that the majority of these clubs could be better served by a sensible reorganisation of the leagues in smaller geographic groups.

There was a review done about 5 years ago as I recall and I think none of the recommendations were acted upon.

Anyway this is getting away from BFL

Regardless of thoughts on travel I think it's a poor effort by AFL Goldfields to have 30 district teams in just 2 leagues. RDFL was/is under their jurisdiction too so that's another 12 clubs.

It's my opinion that the majority of these clubs could be better served by a sensible reorganisation of the leagues in smaller geographic groups.

There was a review done about 5 years ago as I recall and I think none of the recommendations were acted upon.

Anyway this is getting away from BFL

The review was well intentioned and tried to even out the balance of all competitions and remove some of the inequities.

Some of the recommendations were,
- split the Central Highlands FNL into 2 divisions
- move Carisbrook FNC into the Central Highlands due to their dominance in the MCDFNL
- reorganise the MCDNFL including having Navarre move into Horsham District FNL
- the merging of clubs in Maryborough
- Buninyong FNC to move into the Ballarat FNL

No changes occurred due to objections of many clubs and some strong personalities like Eddie Comelli from Hepburn FNC and Diane Ryan. It was a review that now sits on the shelf and gathers dust. AFL Goldfields undertook a thorough review and a large amount of consultation but unfortunately egos, personalities and a self centred approach got in the way. An example was Central Highlands decided to administer their own league even though they received funding from AFL Goldfields. Didn’t improve anything and realistically the competition continued to go backwards with the gulf between top and bottom still widening. It’s just like the English Premier League with only a select few clubs ever a chance of winning a premiership.

Changes are needed more than ever.

I think it will either be forced to happen by AFL Vic or they will just pull funding and leave each league to sink or swim, with the hope it sinks and more people tune into AFL and ups broadcast rights

The review was well intentioned and tried to even out the balance of all competitions and remove some of the inequities.

Some of the recommendations were,
- split the Central Highlands FNL into 2 divisions
- move Carisbrook FNC into the Central Highlands due to their dominance in the MCDFNL
- reorganise the MCDNFL including having Navarre move into Horsham District FNL
- the merging of clubs in Maryborough
- Buninyong FNC to move into the Ballarat FNL

No changes occurred due to objections of many clubs and some strong personalities like Eddie Comelli from Hepburn FNC and Diane Ryan. It was a review that now sits on the shelf and gathers dust. AFL Goldfields undertook a thorough review and a large amount of consultation but unfortunately egos, personalities and a self centred approach got in the way. An example was Central Highlands decided to administer their own league even though they received funding from AFL Goldfields. Didn’t improve anything and realistically the competition continued to go backwards with the gulf between top and bottom still widening. It’s just like the English Premier League with only a select few clubs ever a chance of winning a premiership.

Changes are needed more than ever.

Probably need a new thread on mergers but a few comments
1. There is no Bealiba in Natte- Bealiba - they used to play games and train at Bealiba in the 90s, but it is now all Natte - not a criticism, just the reality
2. Most mergers are in reality takeovers - few support 2 grounds for home games and shared training nights
3. Tempe Goya Patchewollock, I think you forgot Speed, Tempe Goya Patchewollock Speed
4. Lots of these success stories are from the Mallee - I am not strong on the Mallee comp but it is significantly different from our discussion about CV
5. Places like Dunolly, Talbot, Campbells Creek, Inglewood and particularly Heathcote are on the verge of population growth due to the move out of Melbourne.
6. Look at Trentham restated a club due to population changes
7. In looking at Divisions I am only suggesting for CV, not the Mallee, Sunraysia or the Central Desert.

CV needs Divisions !

Where do you think the Mallee and Sunraysia areas are couldn’t get more country than that and Division footy will not work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone got any more recruiting news other than what we’ve heard from South and Sandhurst? Hopefully the bulk of the recruiting is done by the lower clubs to try and bring them back up the table. From what we hear out of Kyneton it sounds like there finances and in a good spot now and might ne able to bring a few in. And surely Ric Andrews appointment at Maryborough can only be a good thing for them recruiting wise. Flat went down the youth path this year, will they try bring some experience to help fast track the kids? And what about Castlemaine, they are coming from a long way back and it would be a hard sell, but is there any hope there better locals playing in district leagues could try get the band back together in a sense and bring some mates with them to get the joint going again?

Interesting the top 6 were pretty even last year then a drop down to Kyenton, then another drop to Maryborough and flat. Maine need to find 18 senior footballers, I don't think one of their players would get a game in any of the top 6 sides. It's a massive job. Hopefully half a dozen locals take on the challenge and they can get snag some experienced big bodies from metro footy, looking for some cash

Anyone got any more recruiting news other than what we’ve heard from South and Sandhurst? Hopefully the bulk of the recruiting is done by the lower clubs to try and bring them back up the table. From what we hear out of Kyneton it sounds like there finances and in a good spot now and might ne able to bring a few in. And surely Ric Andrews appointment at Maryborough can only be a good thing for them recruiting wise. Flat went down the youth path this year, will they try bring some experience to help fast track the kids? And what about Castlemaine, they are coming from a long way back and it would be a hard sell, but is there any hope there better locals playing in district leagues could try get the band back together in a sense and bring some mates with them to get the joint going again?

Great to see Bailey Henderson heading home to Castlemaine. Hopefully they can begin to turn things around on he field
Huge signing. It's not the players in the district league that will make the difference, but the A grade locals that return from higher leagues (or other Bendigo clubs). Two or three players equivalent to Henderson will then create momentum for other MCDFNL players to have a crack at Maine. A much better signing than Monfries and the first true sign of light for a few years.

Huge signing. It's not the players in the district league that will make the difference, but the A grade locals that return from higher leagues (or other Bendigo clubs). Two or three players equivalent to Henderson will then create momentum for other MCDFNL players to have a crack at Maine. A much better signing than Monfries and the first true sign of light for a few years.
Yep, Kalan Huntly rumoured to be heading back as well. 2 genuine A graders is a good way to start

Remove this Banner Ad

Back