List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion - Draft night 24/11

Remove this Banner Ad

This hurts to read...

"Naish’s junior career failed Champion Data’s “Magic Number” rule. That states that draft prospects who win less than 30 per cent of their possessions contested usually struggle in the AFL.

Naish recorded a contested possession rate of 27 per cent from 32 matches. He averaged 22 possessions for Vic Metro this year, but only 4.5 contested.

A bunch of high draft picks have failed to kick on after recording similar numbers — James Aish, Billy Hartung, Cale Morton and Jimmy Toumpas."

Though admittedly I usually take a lot of Champion Data stuff, such as their midfield rankings, with a grain of salt...
Harsh but fair.

Knightmare has us taking Charlie Ballard with our first pick ahead of Petruccelle, I watched some of his highlight and he looks to be a tall wingman but looks super lanky.

Anyone have any info on him?

Knightmare has us taking Charlie Ballard with our first pick ahead of Petruccelle, I watched some of his highlight and he looks to be a tall wingman but looks super lanky.

Excellent. Hopefully we draft him, he turns out to be terrible and we can call him Charlie Bollard. Maybe look to recruit Jayden Post and Trevor Traffic-Cone, too.

I haven't seen much of him, but from reading some of the descriptions I think he could be a Jack Watts clone, i.e. tall and athletic with good skills, an outside player.

Don't think I don't feel small guys can play. I just think the strike rate is lower.

We need best available first and foremost, then fast and skilful players in this draft.

The bigger, the better. Based on experience.

Don't think I don't feel small guys can play. I just think the strike rate is lower.

We need best available first and foremost, then fast and skilful players in this draft.

The bigger, the better. Based on experience.
We still talking about the draft?

;)

This hurts to read...

"Naish’s junior career failed Champion Data’s “Magic Number” rule. That states that draft prospects who win less than 30 per cent of their possessions contested usually struggle in the AFL.

Naish recorded a contested possession rate of 27 per cent from 32 matches. He averaged 22 possessions for Vic Metro this year, but only 4.5 contested.

A bunch of high draft picks have failed to kick on after recording similar numbers — James Aish, Billy Hartung, Cale Morton and Jimmy Toumpas."

Though admittedly I usually take a lot of Champion Data stuff, such as their midfield rankings, with a grain of salt...

It makes sense, If you can't win the footy against kids your size how are you ever going to against men.

Excellent. Hopefully we draft him, he turns out to be terrible and we can call him Charlie Bollard. Maybe look to recruit Jayden Post and Trevor Traffic-Cone, too.
You’re not being very helpful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on that, no thanks. Looks like he can move through traffic pretty well, but other than that, that "highlight" reel is made up of him laying some average tackles, and consistently missing targets
Thought that as well, check out Miers, like this.

Thought that as well, check out Miers, like this.
Just watched Miers ... him I like ... if for no other reason, than his highlights package is actually full of highlights. Odd kicking for goal style tho, normal approach, then veers wide and stabs it, tho it seems to work for him.

We all know the reality don’t we?

Whoever it is the will be a massive slider who we can’t believe we got at pick #....
We'll have most definitely rated him in the teens in our estimations, and can't believe he made it to our pick.
And we've been tracking him closely for years and believe that he will fit right in with our program.

And we've been tracking him closely for years and believe that he will fit right in with our program.
I think we've covered everything now, so only one thing left to say.

This.

I can't believe the number of times this rationale is used. On the notion that there was nobody better at a certain pick purely because the club didnt/couldn't spend time stalking anyone else.

Jason Taylor video is interesting. Lack of rookie picks has allowed them to really drill down to 47 players on their list. When you factor in the top 10 are probably well out of reach they've probably been able to really comb through a group of 30 or so players thoroughly which is nice to know.

Talks about hoping for some luck. Sounds like he's hopeful of someone high up maybe in his top 20 making it to 29. That's pretty reasonable. Probably wants someone in his top 35 to get down to 47 which again is reasonable.

Will pick best available with an eye for needs. Won't try to be too clever but will keep an ear out for what other clubs are doing. I imagine the temptation will be there to choose a player at 29 and then sneak one past Carlton for pick 31. If they have 2 they really like it might be a gamble worth taking otherwise I'd just pick the first guy and hope the 2nd one lasts.

I think the 3rd pick might be where the needs comes in if they've got 2 best available they might go for type there and then save the last pick for the best of the rest again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back