List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion - Draft night 24/11

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest I'd be okay drafting Fritsch as early as Pick 29 if there's not a big slider. I'd rather reach for him and get him than risk not having him at all.

He's an interesting one because there's a suggestion on here that WCE are looking at him, and we have picks right in front of them twice. So if we are both really keen on him it could be a bit of cat and mouse.

You'd doubt WCE would take him with their 21 or 26. Then we have 29/31 to their 32, then we have 36 to their 37. Then we have 47. So if WCE are very keen, they might go early at 32 if we haven't already.

Pardon the intrusion but I just selected for the Dees in a phantom on the St Kilda Bigfooty Draft thread. Read your comments in this thread and consulted a mate who's a long-time reader on here and a passionate Melbourne supporter.

Here's what we came up with.

Pick 30 Melbourne - Lachie Fogarty
(Western Jets/Vic Metro)
Balanced midfielder
1/4/1999 | 179.0cm | 75.0kg

A really classy, balanced footballer who loves tackling and has eye-catching agility and speed.

Clean and polished midfielder who wins the ball in both contested and uncontested situations. A good decision maker by hand or foot, who tackles hard to win the ball back. Has smarts and knows where the goals are. Is a consistent performer.

https://www.afl*******************/player/lachlan-fogarty/

Pick 32 Melbourne - Ryley Stoddart

Medium Defender/Outside Midfielder (Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)
15/10/1999 | 184.6cm | 73.7kg

Running defender who has a classy left foot kick and is agile in traffic.

With every game he played, Stoddart looked more and more impressive, using his nice left foot kick and being composed with ball in hand. Stoddart also showed in the latter half of the year he could push forward – even booting a bag of goals for Yarra Valley in the AGSV school boy season.

Stoddart played mostly as a back pocket for Vic Metro, but showed he had the capabilities to push higher up the ground and should transform into an outside midfielder in years to come.

STRENGTHS:
Agility
Kicking
Composure under pressure

https://www.afl*******************/player/ryley-stoddart/

Pick 38 Melbourne - Charlie Spargo

Inside Midfielder/Small Forward (Murray Bushrangers/Allies)
25/11/1999 | 171.6cm | 70.2kg

Scouting notes: Small bite-sized midfielder who cracks in hard. Despite his size he wins the ball in the contest and tackles hard. Is one of the few midfielders who has a good goal sense and is a hard match-up when deep inside 50. Had shoulder surgery which ruled him out for the season.

Strengths: Goal sense, speed, agility, endurance, tackling
Improvements: Marking

https://www.afl*******************/2017/08/07/matt-balmers-2017-afl-draft-august-power-rankings/

Pick 48 Melbourne - Bayley Fritsch (Casey Demons)
21 (in December)
General forward

2017 VFL Numbers: Booted 42 goals and averaged 12 disposals, 73 per cent kicking efficiency, 5 marks (1 contested, 2 inside 50) and 83 Champion Data ranking points from 19 games.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...s/news-story/0d3d29eafd0874d643d1974bc26b25a8

Thoughts?
You made like an absolute bandit. Every player worth that pick and more.

He's an interesting one because there's a suggestion on here that WCE are looking at him, and we have picks right in front of them twice. So if we are both really keen on him it could be a bit of cat and mouse.

You'd doubt WCE would take him with their 21 or 26. Then we have 29/31 to their 32, then we have 36 to their 37. Then we have 47. So if WCE are very keen, they might go early at 32 if we haven't already.
Plenty of small/med fwd/mid options for us to share: Higgins, Miers, Moore, Spargo, Houlahan, Fritsch, Ryan. I think we'd like two each.

I hope we don't go too small in our quest for speed and outside run.

A lot of the players mooted for the second round which fit our bill, are well under 180cm which I am not keen on.

Why not keen on those? I've got a feeling quality midfielders under 6 foot could come back in vogue a bit. Teams have been focusing on almost every midfielder being 185cm plus in the past few years. A couple of nimble, quick and low to the ground players zipping around could work well with the way the game has been going.

Would love Spargo. Looked like a top-10 pick last year. Forgotten man of draft.
Players that can kick, create space and have a bit of zip should be the mandate.

You've got to pull a fair one out of your backside to find a Zorko or Betts with a second or third round pick.
Didn't Adelaide ask Zorko for Cameron? lol

You've got to pull a fair one out of your backside to find a Zorko or Betts with a second or third round pick.

And yet Zorko was a mature-age recruit who had been overlooked many times. It took a number of incredible seasons in the QAFL for him to be given a shot at all. Wasn't Betts a rookie as well?

A more recent short player who went quite late in the draft but who has already shown themselves to be worth the pick is Caleb Daniel. Once again, height doesn't really matter, good at football is good football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petronidis is real my friend. At least he is in my mind. I have no idea about the draft. I just wanted to be a part of the conversation. :(
It's okay, i was only joking

And yet Zorko was a mature-age recruit who had been overlooked many times. It took a number of incredible seasons in the QAFL for him to be given a shot at all.
Actually it was just one season that he pulled his head in and stopped giving away stupid free kicks with his little man syndrome, and 50m penalties for abusing umpires, along with a starring role for QLD in a state game against WA.

Before then he was no doubt talented, but had too many question marks over his size, and his resounding failure of any clubs dickhead test.

My ideal (and hopefully realistic) draft night would be -

Petrucelle at 29, Spargo at 31, Fritsch at 36 and H. Brayshaw at 47.

I know Brayshaw might be a bit of a stretch, but we dont have anything else to pick him with, and by the time 47 comes along its pretty speculative anyway, so why not go with some romanticism. Then we hope Brayshaw the third gets drafted interstate and wants to come home in 2 years!

I know Brayshaw might be a bit of a stretch, but we dont have anything else to pick him with, and by the time 47 comes along its pretty speculative anyway, so why not go with some romanticism. Then we hope Brayshaw the third gets drafted interstate and wants to come home in 2 years!
I'd be happy with that. Happy to reach for Brayshaw with 47, particularly with news that Brisbane are weighing up taking Andrew with Pick 1, meaning he'll be available in 2 years time anyway :D

Last edited:

love this!

I'd be happy with that. Happy to reach for Brayshaw with 47, particularly with news that Brisbane are weighing up taking him with Pick 1, meaning he'll be available in 2 years time anyway :D
He's talking about Hamish not Andrew

This hurts to read...

"Naish’s junior career failed Champion Data’s “Magic Number” rule. That states that draft prospects who win less than 30 per cent of their possessions contested usually struggle in the AFL.

Naish recorded a contested possession rate of 27 per cent from 32 matches. He averaged 22 possessions for Vic Metro this year, but only 4.5 contested.

A bunch of high draft picks have failed to kick on after recording similar numbers — James Aish, Billy Hartung, Cale Morton and Jimmy Toumpas."

Though admittedly I usually take a lot of Champion Data stuff, such as their midfield rankings, with a grain of salt...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back