Player Watch #16 Jake Aarts

Remove this Banner Ad

He didnt want to take the set shot and would have embarrassed himself even more. Took the easy way out.

Same old story will happen. Thursday teams will see him ommited and then he will magically reappear as medi sub on match day. We never learn.
Hardwick is too loyal, I think we know that but it seems he doesn't even know what the best team is with how much he is changing the team. he looks lost.

Yes all arts fault nothing to do with Jack and Cumbos kicking for goal

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Jack and Cumbo had skill errors. They happen. 2.6 for Jack, no-one is going to saying great game by him, but what he did do right was put himself in the right positions at the right times.

Compare with Aarts this week (and Castagna last week). They’re not skill errors, they are complete brain fades that show a lack of confidence and/or no awareness of the game situation. In no footy game ever was Aarts playing on the right move. He’d marked 35 metres out on a slight angle. By playing on he risked the siren going before he kicked, he risked an opponent impacting the play (which did happen) and he missed the opportunity to take 30 seconds off the clock.

Last edited:
Did it twice, didn’t want to take the set shot, stuffed it up then got a second chance with the ball back and snapped to the top of the square where it was predictably knocked through because he was too scared to take a shot at goal.

This is a mid year game against norf, how’s he gonna be able to kicks clutch goal in a final?

Lol mate give it up. Youre still defending having him in the 22. Re read your posts, you come up with all the reasons like we have no other options. hes not up to it and WE do have other options by giving other guys opportunities to others as shown by bringing in sonsie

He was barely on the ground today. A decent selection of young players played and we were somehow beaten by the bottom team. I say again, I don’t have one issue with playing the younger players with an eye to the future, but they are not going to win games for us in the short term. I understand that Aarts isn’t going to either, so happy to play the young players. It is a glitch in our list that our depth is so weak, and it is just something the club will need to address in the off season.

He isn't the reason we lost the game but he is the reason we could have won the game, he just isn't a smart player.
Was not brave enough to take the set shot like Anderson last week because he knows deep down his skills are not up to scratch.

He’s an elite AFL player too mentally fried to kick the ball from a mark. A fundamental skill of our game. Papers … stamped. I can take skill or execution errors … I can’t take a player mentally unable to execute the game’s fundamental skill.

It’s like an NBL player running down the open court when 1 point down and refusing to execute a lay-up. Or an a-league player refusing to shoot for goal when one out with the keeper.

Every player down to under-8’s would have gone back and had that shot for goal as it’s the fundamental requirement of the game. Sorry Jake, but that’s the end of the line. Unfortunately it has cost us a chance at a 4th flag. But that’s on the selectors as much as him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He was barely on the ground today. A decent selection of young players played and we were somehow beaten by the bottom team. I say again, I don’t have one issue with playing the younger players with an eye to the future, but they are not going to win games for us in the short term. I understand that Aarts isn’t going to either, so happy to play the young players. It is a glitch in our list that our depth is so weak, and it is just something the club will need to address in the off season.
Aarts is 27. Dont just think about the last game. Think about the last 2 years and mentally of keeping to play him over ‘young players’. Why do think our depth is so weak now? Its not a glitch. No opportunity. They moved on and thrived at other clubs.

Most people arnt angry if it was just the last 2 games, he’s been terrible all last year, survived, then played most of this year because apparently we dont have anything better. I reckon the rest squad who are starved of opportunity think otherwise.

Hes been constantly bad but yet somehow gets the most opportunity. Everyone is sick of it.

The problem lies with George And Aarts being gifted games lust 3 seasons where instead could have been developing a couple of youngsters. Too late to bring them on when the team is just about finished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The vitriol in this thread is putrid. The guy made a bad decision under pressure. He wasn't the only bloke who screwed up and you can't expect to win wasting so many chances. 33 scoring shots to 22.

We had more inside 50s. More possessions, more tackles, more free kicks, more one-percenters, better disposal efficiency. We should have won quite easily. To pin the blame on a fringe player's single indiscretion is woeful and I hope he doesn't read this.

Maybe he's not quite elite, but he's an AFL listed footballer which is more than anyone else here can say. Maybe he'll get delisted, maybe he won't. But he doesn't deserve to be the only whipping boy. Pull your heads in.

The vitriol in this thread is putrid. The guy made a bad decision under pressure. He wasn't the only bloke who screwed up and you can't expect to win wasting so many chances. 33 scoring shots to 22.

We had more inside 50s. More possessions, more tackles, more free kicks, more one-percenters, better disposal efficiency. We should have won quite easily. To pin the blame on a fringe player's single indiscretion is woeful and I hope he doesn't read this.

Maybe he's not quite elite, but he's an AFL listed footballer which is more than anyone else here can say. Maybe he'll get delisted, maybe he won't. But he doesn't deserve to be the only whipping boy. Pull your heads in.

Maybe he's not elite lol

You mean you want us to stop being emotionally invested in our football club?

You mean you want us to stop being emotionally invested in our football club?
Mate, I'm as emotionally invested in it as anyone here. I'm pretty sure being healthily invested isn't shitcanning one decision one player made to the point it could be very detrimental to his mental health. When he was far from responsible for what happened yesterday.

Hardly think that's what Richmond is about or would want to be seen as. I think people need to pull their heads in and it's a hill I'm happy to die on cos it's not cool.

Mate, I'm as emotionally invested in it as anyone here. I'm pretty sure being healthily invested isn't shitcanning one decision one player made to the point it could be very detrimental to his mental health. When he was far from responsible for what happened yesterday.

Hardly think that's what Richmond is about or would want to be seen as. I think people need to pull their heads in and it's a hill I'm happy to die on cos it's not cool.
People are just venting. Yes, there were 100 match losing moments yesterday but he had the last one and made the worst decision possible. It’s then compounded by his poor efforts last week and the weeks beforehand going right back through his career. Honest battler but if he’s the best we have then I’d rather turn him over and try to find someone better. He doesn’t have any credits to cash in.

If he wants to read the comments on a public forum in the days after he has potentially cost his team a win then he’s dumber than any comment on here might suggest.

People are just venting. Yes, there were 100 match losing moments yesterday but he had the last one and made the worst decision possible. It’s then compounded by his poor efforts last week and the weeks beforehand going right back through his career. Honest battler but if he’s the best we have then I’d rather turn him over and try to find someone better. He doesn’t have any credits to cash in.

If he wants to read the comments on a public forum in the days after he has potentially cost his team a win then he’s dumber than any comment on here might suggest.
People are venting like unintelligent morons. Very very little of the responsibility for yesterday's loss falls on Aart's shoulders. You know nothing about footy if you think he's to blame for yesterday.

And as such I am happy to call it out for the vitriolic bullshit that it is. Once again, not cool, pull your heads in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back