Player Watch #16 Jake Aarts

Remove this Banner Ad

Chol was a free agent and wanted to move for opportunity (and money). With Nank back from injury he’d only play if Jack or Lynch were injured. He wasn’t going to stay. Same as CJ … he wanted to be a ruckman. He had a 27yo Nankervis ahead of him for ruck duties. He moved for opportunity (and money).

Butler was playing VFL when we moved him on. He was horrible for us in his later years. And he’s horrible for the Saints now. Him and George have kicked the same number of goals in their last 46 games …. hahaha 🤣. Aarts averages almost identical goals as Butler’s last 46 games in his career. Haha

And have you watched the Saints the last couple of seasons ? Their forward pressure (Butler and Higgins) is diabolical every second week.

And Ellis got $3m over 5-years. As if we could or would want to match that for an outside wingman? Higgins would have commanded $350k and we got a draft pick for him. Markov was playing VFL and wanted opportunity.

List management when you’re winning 3 x flags does not allow for players like CJ, Ellis, Markov, Higgins, Butler and Chol to be gobbling up $2.5m of your salary cap each season. To afford to keep all your guns you need to get in young kids and have some bottom chip spuds on your list.

We get draft picks for Higgins, Butler, Ellis, CJ and Chol and pay 3-4 young kids plus a couple of spuds a total of $800k, versus $2.5m for those 6.

That’s how list management works. Not paying $300-500k to fringe players largely playing VFL. And the $1.7m saving allows for the likes of a Taranto or Hopper.

It doesn’t work by saying “save xyz by getting rid of every hack on your list and give the money to others to keep them” … the salary cap is not unlimited and sacrifices have to be made.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
All irrelevant as you’ve missed the whole point of my argument.
You’re forgetting the list cloggers we’ve kept on like Edwards and Castagna. Chol is peanuts in comparison. Brando was gone two years ago and I agree with. Butler and Higgins are still better than all three mentioned by me. Move on as you’re sounding like a parrot.

You’re forgetting the list cloggers we’ve kept on like Edwards and Castagna. Chol is peanuts in comparison. Brando was gone two years ago and I agree with. Butler and Higgins are still better than all three mentioned by me. Move on as you’re sounding like a parrot.
Edwards is not in any way shape of form a list clogger

We used various traded out players to boost our draft hand to get 5 x top-30 picks last year and Norf’s 2nd rounder this year. And to free up salary cap to retain our guns.

I’d much rather the likes of Sonsie, Clarke and Brown moving forward than Higgins, Chol and Butler. We can’t have both.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well its goodbye to Jake AARTS - he's been fun and frustating to watch (especially when he teamed up with George) - I thought his 2021 season showed some real promise ... and that's where it ended .... a gun VFL player but clearly not upto the AFL standard despite given so many chances ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be nice to see him in yellow and black in the Twos, but I know that would be awkward in some ways.

I don't think it would be awkward. He probably can see it from the clubs point of view and its not like he has anything to be ashamed of.

I think he would prefer to play at a side not connected to an AFL club where you don't have blokes out there trying to impress to break into the seniors (like he was) but instead wanting to win for the club. Only guys like Steve Morris who have it combined with captaincy and some role at the club seem to want to stay around.

Just playing footy with mates you grew up with is sometimes the preferred option for guys his age.

Tough business footy. That perfect kick from Cumberland into his arms and the next 6 seconds was to his last AFL experience,

I don't think it would be awkward. He probably can see it from the clubs point of view and its not like he has anything to be ashamed of.

I think he would prefer to play at a side not connected to an AFL club where you don't have blokes out there trying to impress to break into the seniors (like he was) but instead wanting to win for the club. Only guys like Steve Morris who have it combined with captaincy and some role at the club seem to want to stay around.

Just playing footy with mates you grew up with is sometimes the preferred option for guys his age.

Tough business footy. That perfect kick from Cumberland into his arms and the next 6 seconds was to his last AFL experience,

Wonderful thoughts and post, mate.
Well summed up.

Playing for likely Premier Dromana, Jake polled 32 votes to win in a canter from team-mate Sam Fowler on 23 votes and Shane Savage for Pines on 22 votes.

I think this proves if we didn't delist him he wins the Brownlow and we are flag favourites. :)

Regardless, more silverware for the Tiger family. :hearteyes:

More silverware for the Tiger family with Jake Aarts winning the MPNFL Div 1 Brownlow in a landslide with 32 votes for Dromana. Second place getter was team-mate Sam Fowler on 23.

Well done Aartsy. :hearteyes:
Brain: Don't say it, don't say it don't say it.
Me: Yeh thats about his level.

Playing for likely Premier Dromana, Jake polled 32 votes to win in a canter from team-mate Sam Fowler on 23 votes and Shane Savage for Pines on 22 votes.

I think this proves if we didn't delist him he wins the Brownlow and we are flag favourites. :)

Regardless, more silverware for the Tiger family. :hearteyes:
You have too much time on your hands and need a hobby.

I do. I probably need to do something about meeting the next Mrs Rise. But busy summer of work coming up so I don't want to be made to enjoy myself all the bloody time. Catch 22. :)
Don't be too modest something will rise for the occasion!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back