Player Watch #16 Jake Aarts

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a bit stiff. Saw that his player hadn’t kept his feet and thought he was clear and was going to make it a certainty. Not that simple in the AFL.
you are being kind. if you mark the ball 30m out late in a close game you stop, prop and settle and play the percentages, look around 360˚. listen for team mates screaming advice and then think TEAM THING first. 5 years in the system this should be ingrained.

Dont worry guys he will surely be dropped to vfl this week….

But watch the emergencies he will sneak back as medi sub by the end of year after getting some nice stats 23p 1g in the vfl lol. Definition of insanity? Doing the same thing and expect something different!

you are being kind. if you mark the ball 30m out late in a close game you stop, prop and settle and play the percentages, look around 360˚. listen for team mates screaming advice and then think TEAM THING first. 5 years in the system this should be ingrained.
Carmichael hunt had more composure than Aarts in that situation.

And all through the game their were dumb decisions. Jack played as if he wanted to kick a bag for himself.
Im just saying their were things going on that in a split decision the reason he made the wrong one . Running flat out and facing the goals looks and sees his man is out of the contest.
How far can he kick cause his snap never made the distance ?
In the end he still had a shot for goal and blew it. But who didn’t have a shot for goal and blew it .

And all through the game their were dumb decisions. Jack played as if he wanted to kick a bag for himself.
Im just saying their were things going on that in a split decision the reason he made the wrong one . Running flat out and facing the goals looks and sees his man is out of the contest.
How far can he kick cause his snap never made the distance ?
In the end he still had a shot for goal and blew it. But who didn’t have a shot for goal and blew it .
yeah but this is the aarts thread and he is a repeat offender for mucking up easy stuff. otherwise i agree.

The vitriol in this thread is putrid. The guy made a bad decision under pressure. He wasn't the only bloke who screwed up and you can't expect to win wasting so many chances. 33 scoring shots to 22.

We had more inside 50s. More possessions, more tackles, more free kicks, more one-percenters, better disposal efficiency. We should have won quite easily. To pin the blame on a fringe player's single indiscretion is woeful and I hope he doesn't read this.

Maybe he's not quite elite, but he's an AFL listed footballer which is more than anyone else here can say. Maybe he'll get delisted, maybe he won't. But he doesn't deserve to be the only whipping boy. Pull your heads in.
You can tell in the presser dimma has stamped his papers he was beyond pissed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aarts is 27. Dont just think about the last game. Think about the last 2 years and mentally of keeping to play him over ‘young players’. Why do think our depth is so weak now? Its not a glitch. No opportunity. They moved on and thrived at other clubs.

Most people arnt angry if it was just the last 2 games, he’s been terrible all last year, survived, then played most of this year because apparently we dont have anything better. I reckon the rest squad who are starved of opportunity think otherwise.

Hes been constantly bad but yet somehow gets the most opportunity. Everyone is sick of it.

Who have we let go that’s thriving at other clubs? CJ played VFL most of year (got a great draft pick and saved $450k/season by moving him on). Higgins been in the VFL and after an early purple patch is stinking it up. In effect got an improved draft position and Judson Clarke for him (also saved $350k/season). Other than a good first half a season at the Saints, Butler is stinking it up ($350k). Markov played plenty of 2’s footy and generally pretty average. Chol going pretty well but got a 4-year FA deal we’d never be able to match…. but he also gets nearly all goals via ‘Joe the Goose’ over the top running into open goals. Ellis got a 5-year, $3m FA deal we could never match. He’s playing pretty all but gives nothing Pickett and Macca don’t provide on the wings.

So tell me again, who do you believe is genuinely thriving at other clubs? Keeping in mind we’ve got some great draft capital from many of those trades and saved millions in the cap by swapping their $350k pay packets for $90k draftees.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The vitriol in this thread is putrid. The guy made a bad decision under pressure. He wasn't the only bloke who screwed up and you can't expect to win wasting so many chances. 33 scoring shots to 22.

We had more inside 50s. More possessions, more tackles, more free kicks, more one-percenters, better disposal efficiency. We should have won quite easily. To pin the blame on a fringe player's single indiscretion is woeful and I hope he doesn't read this.

Maybe he's not quite elite, but he's an AFL listed footballer which is more than anyone else here can say. Maybe he'll get delisted, maybe he won't. But he doesn't deserve to be the only whipping boy. Pull your heads in.

Unfortunately he has cost us 2 games in a row and a chance at a 4th flag. Unlike the others, he has almost zero positive influence on anything that happens on GameDay.

It’s not his fault, he doesn’t select himself. But missing from 15m out directly in front against GC and then playing on with 30-seconds to go is going to bring you some supporter heat. We invest so much into the fortunes of the team and have to sit and watch mistakes my 7yo wouldn’t make…. it beggars belief what I’ve seen the last 2 weeks from George and Aarts. I’ve never seen anything like it watching footy for 40+ years - and we get to see it 2 weeks in a row… sorry if supporters are a touch peeved. It’s nothing personal - I despise George and Aarts the last fortnight for their footballing prowess that has cost us a genuine flag opportunity … not as people. I’m sure they’re very nice blokes over a beer (but I wouldn’t trust either of them to cook the BBQ )

Who have we let go that’s thriving at other clubs? CJ played VFL most of year (got a great draft pick and saved $450k/season by moving him on). Higgins been in the VFL and after an early purple patch is stinking it up. In effect got an improved draft position and Judson Clarke for him (also saved $350k/season). Other than a good first half a season at the Saints, Butler is stinking it up ($350k). Markov played plenty of 2’s footy and generally pretty average. Chol going pretty well but got a 4-year FA deal we’d never be able to match…. but he also gets nearly all goals via ‘Joe the Goose’ over the top running into open goals. Ellis got a 5-year, $3m FA deal we could never match. He’s playing pretty all but gives nothing Pickett and Macca don’t provide on the wings.

So tell me again, who do you believe is genuinely thriving at other clubs? Keeping in mind we’ve got some great draft capital from many of those trades and saved millions in the cap by swapping their $350k pay packets for $90k draftees.

Stengle, butler ,Chol have all been good. Markov has been ok, but I'm with you. Higgins has been as you say up and down and not worth the coin . What you're forgetting is that these blokes individually are better than the net combination of Aarts, Castagna and Edwards. Also it's been mentioned endlessly the better options we have on our VFL list.

Last edited:
Stengle, butler ,Chol have all been good. Markov has been ok, but i'm with you. Higgins has been as you say up and down and not worth the coin . What you're forgetting is that these blokes individually are bet than the net combination of Aarts, Castagna and Edwards. Also it's been mentioned endlessly the better options we have on our VFL list.
Counting Stengel is a bit rich. A year at Richmond, a year off, two years at Adelaide and another year off. Guy obviously had talent but it certainly wasn’t realised in 2017 when he was being a problem child.

Counting Stengel is a bit rich. A year at Richmond, a year off, two years at Adelaide and another year off. Guy obviously had talent but it certainly wasn’t realised in 2017 when he was being a problem child.
Not really as the talent was there, but like Stack he derailed and probably wasn't managed right. He probably was at the club at the wrong time during our glory days where Castagna , Rioli and even Butler and Higgins were always ahead of him.

Stengle, butler ,Chol have all been good. Markov has been ok, but i'm with you. Higgins has been as you say up and down and not worth the coin . What you're forgetting is that these blokes individually are bet than the net combination of Aarts, Castagna and Edwards. Also it's been mentioned endlessly the better options we have on our VFL list.

Butler has been putrid after his first 10 games at the Saints…. absolutely putrid.

First 10 games = 22 goals.
Next 45 games = 36 goals.

My Saints friends loved him (and Higgins) early on …. I said “give it time”. They are now not quite so fond of our Tiger castoffs….

Stengle has been superb this season, but was clearly not fit for AFL when we had him due to off-field alcohol and drug issues. After us he spent 2 years at the Crows and then another year out of the system before the Cats got him, so hardly a player we can claim was any sort of missed opportunity- in fact we won flags after we got rid of him, so who knows what trouble he might have caused to the culture.

And if we kept the like of Chol, we lose others due to salary cap pressures. So of course we’d prefer to have kept most of our cast-offs instead of our spuds, but that would mean losing the likes of Baker, Bolton or Rioli to other clubs fat cheque books.

Butler has been putrid after his first 10 games at the Saints…. absolutely putrid.

First 10 games = 22 goals.
Next 45 games = 36 goals.

My Saints friends loved him (and Higgins) early on …. I said “give it time”. They are now not quite so fond of our Tiger castoffs….

Stengle has been superb this season, but was clearly not fit for AFL when we had him due to off-field alcohol and drug issues. After us he spent 2 years at the Crows and then another year out of the system before the Cats got him, so hardly a player we can claim was any sort of missed opportunity- in fact we won flags after we got rid of him, so who knows what trouble he might have caused to the culture.

And if we kept the like of Chol, we lose others due to salary cap pressures. So of course we’d prefer to have kept most of our cast-offs instead of our spuds, but that would mean losing the likes of Baker, Bolton or Rioli to other clubs fat cheque books.

Chol wasn't an issue cap wise if Sheds , Aarts and Castagna all been moved on. We gave George 2 more years when he was playing atrocious footy. It's called list management. I've watched a lot of Saints games and Butler although is not kicking goals he's been working hard defensively as a small forward and been in a lot of score involvements. Again all the players you've mentioned have been better individually than the net combination of Aarts, Castagna and Edwards. Lets not lose the site of the facts here. Also the real argument here is that Aarts is not AFL standard and should not be playing before any kid.

Last edited:
Stengle will be a 1 hit wonder he will be trash next season
Stengles issues were never football related they were always off field quite a few driving offences and drugs

Went off the rails at the crows after Betts left and couldn’t keep him in check, the concern would be that Betts won’t be at the cats forever nor can he always be Stengles keeper and Tyson will need to walk on his own two feet
Hopefully he stays out of trouble

Chol wasn't an issue cap wise if Sheds , Aarts and Castagna all been moved on. We gave George 2 more years when he was playing atrocious footy. It's called list management. I've watched a lot of Saints games and Butler although is not kicking goals he's been working hard defensively as a small forward and been in a lot of score involvements. Again all the players you've mentioned have been better individually than the net combination of Aarts, Castagna and Edwards. Lets not lose the site of the facts here. Also the real argument here is that Aarts is not AFL standard and should not be playing before any kid.

Chol was a free agent and wanted to move for opportunity (and money). With Nank back from injury he’d only play if Jack or Lynch were injured. He wasn’t going to stay. Same as CJ … he wanted to be a ruckman. He had a 27yo Nankervis ahead of him for ruck duties. He moved for opportunity (and money).

Butler was playing VFL when we moved him on. He was horrible for us in his later years. And he’s horrible for the Saints now. Him and George have kicked the same number of goals in their last 46 games …. hahaha 🤣. Aarts averages almost identical goals as Butler’s last 46 games in his career. Haha

And have you watched the Saints the last couple of seasons ? Their forward pressure (Butler and Higgins) is diabolical every second week.

And Ellis got $3m over 5-years. As if we could or would want to match that for an outside wingman? Higgins would have commanded $350k and we got a draft pick for him. Markov was playing VFL and wanted opportunity.

List management when you’re winning 3 x flags does not allow for players like CJ, Ellis, Markov, Higgins, Butler and Chol to be gobbling up $2.5m of your salary cap each season. To afford to keep all your guns you need to get in young kids and have some bottom chip spuds on your list.

We get draft picks for Higgins, Butler, Ellis, CJ and Chol and pay 3-4 young kids plus a couple of spuds a total of $800k, versus $2.5m for those 6.

That’s how list management works. Not paying $300-500k to fringe players largely playing VFL. And the $1.7m saving allows for the likes of a Taranto or Hopper.

It doesn’t work by saying “save xyz by getting rid of every hack on your list and give the money to others to keep them” … the salary cap is not unlimited and sacrifices have to be made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back