Player Watch #16 Jake Aarts

Remove this Banner Ad

People are venting like unintelligent morons. Very very little of the responsibility for yesterday's loss falls on Aart's shoulders. You know nothing about footy if you think he's to blame for yesterday.

And as such I am happy to call it out for the vitriolic bullshit that it is. Once again, not cool, pull your heads in.

You mark inside 50 with bugger all time left with the clock on the electronic ads around the ground - you are somewhat at fault.

Dark times that we have resorted back to 'if you are not afl standard don't talk about football'
I'd say darker times if we've reverted back to the old Richmond "pile s**t on the one bloke when things aren't going well"

Can you tell me where I said if you're not AFL standard, dont talk about footy? Pretty sure I didnt and I actually said "stop shitcanning one bloke and revealing how little you know about the game."

You mark inside 50 with bugger all time left with the clock on the electronic ads around the ground - you are somewhat at fault.
Yeh, he probably should have had a set shot. Yeh, we probably should have nailed one more goal from the 20 plus behinds we kicked. We'd have won either way. Meh.

I'd say darker times if we've reverted back to the old Richmond "pile s**t on the one bloke when things aren't going well"

Can you tell me where I said if you're not AFL standard, dont talk about footy? Pretty sure I didnt and I actually said "stop shitcanning one bloke and revealing how little you know about the game."

he's an AFL listed footballer which is more than anyone else here can say

People are just venting. Yes, there were 100 match losing moments yesterday but he had the last one and made the worst decision possible. It’s then compounded by his poor efforts last week and the weeks beforehand going right back through his career. Honest battler but if he’s the best we have then I’d rather turn him over and try to find someone better. He doesn’t have any credits to cash in.

If he wants to read the comments on a public forum in the days after he has potentially cost his team a win then he’s dumber than any comment on here might suggest.
Aarts probably wouldn’t read the forum but we have had a number of occasions across multiple boards not just Richmond where immediate family members have been posters

Fair enough for people to be frustrated and pull apart the game played but we don’t just see that, we see genuine personal attacks on the player and as a mod some of the stuff that gets deleted is pathetic

Be emotional, be passionate but there is a line where that becomes toxic

The vitriol in this thread is putrid. The guy made a bad decision under pressure. He wasn't the only bloke who screwed up and you can't expect to win wasting so many chances. 33 scoring shots to 22.

We had more inside 50s. More possessions, more tackles, more free kicks, more one-percenters, better disposal efficiency. We should have won quite easily. To pin the blame on a fringe player's single indiscretion is woeful and I hope he doesn't read this.

Maybe he's not quite elite, but he's an AFL listed footballer which is more than anyone else here can say. Maybe he'll get delisted, maybe he won't. But he doesn't deserve to be the only whipping boy. Pull your heads in.

Unfortunately this is football forum, you arent going get much positive comments after 2 heartbreakers in a row. Most posts are going to be in anger.

I think the game yesterday highlighted the need to move from players like aarts unfortunately. Yes if you look at one game in isolation you could excuse it. Even last week he was missing sitters so you may excuse that too. But hes been real bad at afl level for last 2 years. He goes back to vfl and performs ‘well’, we bring him back expecting something different. Hes 27, not going to improve. I tend to blame the rfc selectors more for making poor short sited decisions.

People are venting like unintelligent morons. Very very little of the responsibility for yesterday's loss falls on Aart's shoulders. You know nothing about footy if you think he's to blame for yesterday.

And as such I am happy to call it out for the vitriolic bullshit that it is. Once again, not cool, pull your heads in.
So in a thread about Jake Aarts and his place in the side and his contribution on the ground we’re not allowed to be critical? FMD.

The guy comes on with fresh legs and impacts one play. He makes four errors! He takes one mark and two possessions from it follow. He doesn’t stop to take a set shot from 40m out after taking the mark, and instead plays on (error 1). He gets chased down after playing on because he has zero awareness (error 2). He fluffs the handball to K-Mac (error3). K-Mac gets it back to Aarts who then either fluffs then shot on goal (error 4) or makes the wrong decision to pass to a crowded goal square (also error 4 (still not sure whether it was an attempt to goal or a pass)).

Most comments are in the order of he’s just not up to it, and yesterday’s blunderfest is further evidence of that.

Other players will also be called out. There’s debate about Edwards getting to 300. Whether Cotch or Jack should go on next year. Nankervis and his discipline and leadership. If Dimma should continue to coach. It goes on.

We ride the highs and lows.

Reminds me of Steve Morris. Tough, courageous but at AFL level, simply unable to make sound decisions and execute them.
Yeah he’s another good example for sure. Morris’ career also got fast-tracked to ending once they introduced the below the knees rule. Steve’s ‘slidey-in-opposition-shin-whacking maneuver’ was his speciality and once they canned it he was screwed. Am Pretty sure that was its official name too.

Yeah he’s another good example for sure. Morris’ career also got fast-tracked to ending once they introduced the below the knees rule. Steve’s ‘slidey-in-opposition-shin-whacking maneuver’ was his speciality and once they canned it he was screwed. Am Pretty sure that was its official name too.
Didn’t he do an ACL or something late in his career?
Never really came back the same

Was never the greatest player but always gave 110% and bleeds yellow and black

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF.

Aarts probably wouldn’t read the forum but we have had a number of occasions across multiple boards not just Richmond where immediate family members have been posters

Fair enough for people to be frustrated and pull apart the game played but we don’t just see that, we see genuine personal attacks on the player and as a mod some of the stuff that gets deleted is pathetic

Be emotional, be passionate but there is a line where that becomes toxic
I can tell u I know peeps from beacy that are close to Jake and being a tigers fan from day dot , he’s described as living the dream , so to hear of attacks on the bloke is shameful , any player for that matter

I can tell u I know peeps from beacy that are close to Jake and being a tigers fan from day dot , he’s described as living the dream , so to hear of attacks on the bloke is shameful , any player for that matter
Might be living the dream that all of us can only wish upon but he's also giving us nightmares.

Lol * outahere , who are you BF police?

Aarts is 27. Dont just think about the last game. Think about the last 2 years and mentally of keeping to play him over ‘young players’. Why do think our depth is so weak now? Its not a glitch. No opportunity. They moved on and thrived at other clubs.

Most people arnt angry if it was just the last 2 games, he’s been terrible all last year, survived, then played most of this year because apparently we dont have anything better. I reckon the rest squad who are starved of opportunity think otherwise.

Hes been constantly bad but yet somehow gets the most opportunity. Everyone is sick of it.

Aarts is not a first choice AFL level player, everyone can see that. The trouble is the guys he has been selected in front of are also not AFL level players.

So the choice has been you select a guy who is not AFL level and never will be but does all the right things.

Or

You select a guy who is not AFL level but could be in the future, but a) is likely not physically ready and b) doesn’t do a lot of the team things expected of a regular AFL footballer.

Given that is the choice, I think you can quite easily justify the way Aarts has been selected at times ahead of others. Looked at a different way you could easily justify ruling a line through Aarts as well, and moving on, which is what will happen. But the issue has clearly been in our list composition, we cleared out all the mature depth - probably to help us with our cap, and went all in on youngsters, bar probably Pickett, Aarts, and Parker. You could argue if we wanted to navigate through these couple of years better we might have done better with a couple less kids and a couple more Pickett, Aarts and Parkers.

But we have Graham, Baker, Bolton, Colina, Miller, Balta, RCD, Stack, Mansell, Ross, Ryan, Cumberland, Martyn, Nyuon, Dow, Ralphsmith, Bauer, Rioli Jnr, Sonsie, Banks, Gibcus, Brown and Clarke on our list now we have drafted as youngsters since the 2016 draft. 23 players. It is quite a lot to have remaining on your list from the last 6 drafts I think. Players like Graham, Balta, Bolton, Baker, who have turned out to be strong players, none of those were shoe-horned into the team the minute they were drafted. They all got some sort of a sniff in their first seasons but were mainly year 3 before they were any sort of fixture in the team.

If we had to avoid listing any of those guys in favour of taking some more bargain basement mature players, which would have have chosen not to give a list spot to if we didn’t have the benefit of hindsight? Baker? Graham? Ralphsmith? Bauer? Clarke? Nyuon? These are obviously the very real choices our list managers have to face. They have opted to draft and retain a load of youngsters, and only have minimal mature depth, and yep, Aarts is the most obvious of those in terms of lacking weapons at AFL level. If not Aarts, then who are you paying $200k pa to fill his role better than a model clubman like Aarts?

So I say again, play the kids and get the errors, the tiring late in games, the lack of physical presence, and grin and bear that in the hope they mature into strong AFL players. Or use some of your threadbare mature depth when needs and form suggests. Or….. don’t draft so many youngsters and you might have some better choices than Aarts on the list, like Miles or Lloyd or these type of guys. But Aarts would almost certainly come a lot cheaper than them. Whatever way the club did this would come at some sort of cost. I am pleased they have loaded up on the youngsters and we don’t have many list cloggers. It is pretty clear this year the club will act to bring in some mature talent. Lambert and Edwards you would imagine will be off the list, and possibly one other older player. Martyn, Aarts look goners. And then I think the club will start cutting or trading some other youngsters as well, RCD, and maybe one other. So there will be 6-7 new players added to the list. Obviously the club is looking for 1-2 talented mature types, will draft a couple of kids, and I think and hope they will look to import 1-2 lower cost mature depth prospects also. By this process we should suddenly have a good amount of players in their mid 20’s or approaching that age, and therefore a much better balanced list demographic.

In the meantime we just have to enjoy Aarts while we have him. 😁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back