Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2011 Mock Draft (Edited for final selections)

Remove this Banner Ad

Very well done Snoop. Loved the rookie draft too. Volta towards the end is a guy I really like, hope he gets a rookie spot.

What do you think of Brad Mangan? Would it be mainly just his height stopping him from getting drafted?

Your view on Chris Prowse too? Don't think I saw him anywhere

Brad Mangan v close but still not 100% convinced about does he have the AFL shape and endurance to run off a HBF. Not tall enough to do anything else I dont think.

Guys like Prowse, Beech, Staley I didnt end up going with but they were all in the mix late. To be honest I got to the end of it and just slapped a few names up so dont take last 10-15 as to presecriptive (am sure you didnt). In saying that not a big wrap for taking rookie rucks. I almost think you send them off to state league and wait for 4 years. If there is a gun then take them and this year that is probably limited to Longer, Bolger, Downie and maybe Brown. Outside of that your chances of getting one up from the rookie draft are slim.

I find it hard to believe that there isnt much talk about VFL players in this years draft?
the VFL had some great players this season and alot should be knocking on the door and stating their cases. there are a few Port Melbourne players from the undefeated Premiers this year that im sure clubs would and should be looking at?

Maybe it is just the hype of GWS that is taking all the headlines, does seem quiet though

Snoop, if Essendon leave their ruckman pick till the RD, who would be the players who we'd look at? Tom Campbell, Dan Currie, Leif Cope?

yep plus Prowse, Beech, Gabriel, Grenfell as well as a couple of kids from QLD like Kolka and another whose names escapes me etc would be considered I would think but I dont have my list with me so may be others.

I find it hard to believe that there isnt much talk about VFL players in this years draft?
the VFL had some great players this season and alot should be knocking on the door and stating their cases. there are a few Port Melbourne players from the undefeated Premiers this year that im sure clubs would and should be looking at?

Maybe it is just the hype of GWS that is taking all the headlines, does seem quiet though

I think I have a fair few scattered amongst them. How many start going in the national vs the rookie is going to be interesting.

2011 Mock PSD and Rookie Draft​

Thought I would slap one together and gets some names out there for those of us still keen on our footy in the off-season. Havent put a heap of effort into teams needs etc in this one, rather just gone on best available whilst also trying to match up those where it makes sense given where they may be training. I never read much into that though because some clubs just never have kids train with them (eg Collingwood rarely do it compared to others). To be fair lot more state league players dropping and a few from other levels as well. Still struggled to get some of the players I wanted in such as Rander, Orval, Derham, Morabito, Batsanis, Johnstone, Dobson and Kulikowski. The good news for them is I rarely get many of these right so that probably means they are more likely to go than not! Anyway I may tinker with in the leadup as I hear a bit more. Will drop the names in progressively over next day or so if I cant finish this avo.

I think have the order roughly right but if I dont let me know. Will also drop in the Scholarship kids and Internationals a bit later on.

PRE SEASON DRAFT

Personally don’t think GWS will take any more than 1-2 picks as they want to keep spots open for next years intake as well as the uncontracted players they add.

# 1 GWS – Myles Bolger (South Frem / 201 / 90 / 93)

Giants were after ruck prospects at the Draft and with Downie they would now have two genuine young prospects. Saw a lot of him last year and was super impressed with him. He is a terrific type and whilst we didn’t get to see much of him this year he certainly finished the season really well for South Fremantle. I like my ruckmen to be clever at the clearances with hit outs to advantage and to be able to compete around the ground and potentially push fwd. Bolger ticks all those boxes albeit probably doesn’t push fwd as much as he could and that might be the worry. Still he is very athletic and has strong hands and good skills so no reason that couldn’t come in time. I think the knock is how good is the leap.
[/B]

# 2 GWS – Paul Bevan (Sydney)

To good not to be playing senior AFL Footy.

# 3 GWS – Cameron Shenton (Norwood – med fwd)

21yo medium fwd who really wanted to drop into the National Draft to a club looking for a medium fwd ready to go. Teams like the Dogs, GWS, Swans, Tigers and Melbourne along with Port came to mind. Aggressive type who has express pace, very good hands above and below knees and is very creative around goals. Saw a lot of him and would say he would be a strong chance to get drafted.

# 4 GWS – Tom Lee (Claremont / 192cm / 90kg / ‘91)

Lee is a 20 yo who was previously with Adelaide but ended up back at Claremont after a year. Struggled a bit in 2010 but had an outstanding season this year where he played fwd and back and in the last couple of games I saw he even played on the ball. Terrific agility and pace (Sub 3s over 20m) and his endurance will allow him to push into a ruck type role not dissimilar to maybe a Zac Clarke if that is what the Saints wanted. For mine I think he will probably settle as a KPD but a lot of clubs will be keen on him because of his ability to adapt to different roles. He is a type that could do a role on someone like Franklin almost straight away. Given how much he developed this year I can see him continuing to improve. Would be a useful swingman for the Giants.

# 5 GWS – Tom Sundberg (Collingwood VFL)

Ball magnet who absolutely dominated the VFL this year and I think was named in the bests in all bar one game. Tough and aggressive type who will give you 110%. On the smaller side and probably not overly quick but if you thought of Paul Licuria but slightly quicker and a better ball user you would be on the money. Would be good at Port for guys like Hartlett, Wingard and Boak. Will take ball winning pressure off them.

# 6 Suns – Adam McQualter (St Kilda)

Could easily be lad Hall from Tassie who has a bit 'cult figure' about him.

# 7 Port Power – Gavin Urquhart (North Melbourne

# 8 Richmond – John McCarthy (Collingwood)

# 9 Fremantle – Zac Dawson (St Kilda)

# 10 Western Bulldogs - Sam Frost ( Sandy Dragons / 194cm / 87kg / ‘93)

One of my favourite players in the draft and was a bit surprised that he didn’t go but mail was there is no question on the talent more just that he hasn’t nailed down a spot yet and his kicking needs work. He is a super athlete and he just shows a real want to take on the competition with his run and carry. Very rare do you see a kid who runs as fast has he does and can play CHB. He could be a real weapon for whichever club he goes to. We saw it a few times at Champs and i will never forget at one of the games all the recruiters around me just went ‘WOW’. Backed that up late in the TAC season during the finals and moreover the TAC final when whilst only 194cm he was able to go into the ruck and get Sandy going in that 2nd half at the centre bounce where he used that vertical leap to his (and his teams) advantage. Certainty to go and a player who I will track closely in years to come.

ROOKIE DRAFT

# 1 GWS - Lee Spurr (Central Districts – Utility / Fwd)

Ex Qld’er who has played in a couple of SANFL premierships and who whilst pegged as a fwd is also a bit of utility insomuch as he can fwd or back and play a few different roles. Very composed and strong over the footy but best used as a bit of link up player or medium fwd for mine. Plays a bit like Luke Hodge.

# 2 Suns - Brody Mihocek (Burnie / 191cm / 86kg / ‘93)

Was always going to be an interesting story on draft night because of his testing. Question marks were around his speed which was very slow and it took a lot of people by surprise I think. Certainly when I have seen him at junior level he has impressed as a one touch player, who is strong overhead and a really good user of the ball. He always looked to have reasonable speed but maybe it was more his decision making because that is a feature of his play for mine. In the TSL GF he played off a HB flank and he contributed really well. Coped well with the pressure (and there was a lot of it) and was just clean with the footy when it was in hand. Was composed and used the ball pretty well and just strikes as a bloke who is capable of playing a variety of roles. Speed issue aside he is a ripper prospect but lets hope the speed issue doesn’t hinder him.

# 3 Port - Jack Crisp (Murray Bushrangers / 189cm / 81kg / ‘93)

Has terrific size and athletic credentials strikes me as a player who could potentially play a few different roles but probably best suited to a wing. Knows how to position himself and accumulates a fair bit of it. Is quick and will run offensively and defensively. Would be a difficult match up and can certainly hurt on the scoreboard. I think he was one of the highest tacklers in the TAC comp so got a penchant for the 1% ‘ers as well. I had him going as early as 40-50 in the National draft and think he is one who could well go on and make a pretty good impression.

# 4 Lions - Andrew Boseley (Geelong Falcons / 194cm / 90kg / ‘92)

Over age player who I had going from circa #30 in the ND and whom some had as high as in the teens in the lead in to the draft. That was always a bit of a reach simply bc I don’t think he does enough offensively with the ball but he certainly strikes as a player who will get taken. He possesses an attribute that I think is much required in key defenders….closing speed…..and he is also a player who the Lions are looking to replenish given departure their stocks and they would be thrilled to get him in the RD. Did some super jobs through the year and will surely have caught the eye of clubs looking to building their defence. What you get with this kid is just someone who could go with the best fwds and whose pace and reach will make him really formidable.

# 5 Adelaide - Justin Clarke (SA / 194cm / 86kg / ‘93)

Tall defender who loomed on the radar as a smokey in the National Draft but to be fair was always more likely to be a rookie. I haven’t seen so cannot comment.

# 6 Melbourne - Shane Nelson (West Perth / 179cm / 73kg / ‘93)

When kids like Nelson don’t go in the ND then the Draft aint that shallow IMO. Nelson is a class act and I liken him a fair bit to the kid Alex Fasolo. Many peg him as simply an outside mid who is a huge accumulator (ave 22 poss at Nationals and 32 poss at Colts level) but that is selling him very short. He has that mix of endurance, agility (8.13 = seriously good) which rates as well as say a Prestia etc, speed (2.83 which again is seriously good) and efficiency of disposal (29/30 at kicking test which is fantastic). His tackle pressure was also good in the games I saw and he showed a real willingness to put his head over the footy when he had to take his turn. Notwithstanding he can play inside the stoppage where he is pretty creative with his hands, I think his go is for a team mate to get the ball out of the stoppage to him and let him use his pace, decision making and elite footskills to hit up a target.

# 7 Richmond - Josh Waldhunter (Central Districts / 183 / 83 / 93)

Got plenty of admirers this kid and was a little surprised his name wasnt called in the ND. Terrific player who has played Champ football the last 2 years and been a really good performer. Tough uncompromising type of player who will be ready for senior footy pretty quickly. Is a midfielder who will probably start more as a HB and has some similarities to Aidan Riley actually. Probably not a type who has heaps of x factor but he is very good at the clearances and his ball use by hand in traffic is a real feature. Also has a pretty penetrating kick as well and can kick through the lines. He is certainly a good addition. Will play seniors fairly quickly and is a nice addition to Richmond and is a Hardwick type player.

# 8 Fremantle - Nick Murphy (Oakleigh / 194cm / 87kg / ‘93)

Freo didn’t go as tall as I thought they might and so expecting them to now. Frankly there are a heap of potential talls left in the Rookie. Not sure exactly where Nick Murphy goes because without knowing which screening he went to I would have thought he was pretty high (ie I expected him at DC) as well as the fact I know he went ok in his testing with GWS last year. The fact he only went State makes me think I am over rating him and hence why wasnt surprised to see him not taken in the ND. Very mobile key position player who was well performed last year and who kicked a bag of goals this year including 5 in the GF. Relies more on this than his ability to take contested marks. Is a beautiful kick and with his basketball background there is a lot to work with. Would probably like to see a touch more aggression in his game but he is one of the best tall fwds left with Dobosz and Roberts so am expecting his name called.

# 9 Western Bulldogs - Julian Dobosz (North Hobart / 192 / 83 / 92)

Another whose testing cast real doubt over whether talent vs testing would win out and ultimately is was testing. Whilst he is a fair way away from having an AFL ready body he has undoubted talent and may be the kid from Tassie who ends up being the best of this draft in my view. There is a fair bit of Jack Riewoldt about him, he plays enthusiastically, jumps around, is good on the ground and just has a knack for kicking goals. Just needs a pre-season or two and the Dogs would be a good home for him.

# 10 North Melbourne - Steve Verrier ( South Fremantle / 188 / 83 / 93)

Really impressed me at champs and then later in the season at Reserves and Senior level and is certainly the style of player North might like and who could add a touch of class. Just looks like a footballer to me and is probably going to be your attacking defender type who will be able to push up further into his development. Ticks a lot of boxes; composed in traffic, one touch, does the little things, gives a second effort, tackles, quick and a really good ball user and decision maker.

# 11 Essendon - Danny Butcher (Gippsland - midfielder)

Had a sensational year for Gippy (finished in the bests 14 out of 19 games!) and is a really nice midfielder who is probably a little more inside but also capable outside. Should be talked about much more because he has the tools. Has surprisingly good pace (2.8s for 20m) and runs close to a 15 beep test. Has some work to do on his agility but overall a very handy player. Could also see him landing at Collingwood quite easily as he reminds me a bit of Tom Hunter and Tristan Francis who are types Hine rates and of course they love Gippy boys.

# 12 Saints - Michael Bussey (Eastern Ranges / 196 / 81 / 93)

Gee he reminds me of Ben Reid as a junior. Like Reid at the same stage (and Elton this year), has his knockers due to his inconsistent form, lack of physical presence and his apparent disinterest at times but he is one who when you see him at his best you would have him a lot higher than this. Ex AIS kid who has played all over the ground and went to DC as a tall fwd. His best footy when I have watched him has been as a back where he reads the play really well and is prepared to put his body back into a contest – also has v good closing speed. Seems to be a natural reader of the game from there and that’s no different to Reid. Uses it pretty well and just presents as a kid you could play in a number of different roles. An AFL environment will round out his athletic gifts and as I mentioned he has that uncoachable quality of being able to read the game quite well. The other stuff can come with good development coaches etc.

# 13 Swans - Fraser Dale (Calder - Midfielder / Fwd)

Was a chance for National Draft because of some of his performances later in the year. I first saw as a fwd / mid but towards the end of the year he played a fair bit back as well and was pretty handy. To be fair can play a few different roles actually because he is very quick and clean and comes with big wraps from those close after showing genuine improvement through the year.

# 14 Carlton - Jack Frost (Williamstown – Tall defender)

Was a kid I had in my mock last year and was desperately keen for Pies to select but didn’t even land a rookie spot. Went onto play for Williamstown in the VFL Reserves and performed really well and then ultimately pushed up into the seniors and was sensational for them and did some really good jobs on some decent players. Will certainly have caught the eye and was as impressive as any young key back that was taken last year so is deserving. Needs to add some weight but like his younger brother Sam he is quick and agile and that are two pretty good attributes for a key back at AFL level.

# 15 WCE - Simon Tunbridge (GWS)

Medium fwd from WA who was with GWS but got 'homesick'...me thinks might have a little more to do with one of the WA clubs have a spot for him! Saw him play some decent footy for them and if you caught the second half of their Foxtel Cup game you would be pretty keen on him. Could also be a chance at Fremantle, Collingwood and Melbourne.

# 16 Hawks - Jai Sheehan (Geelong Falcons / 194 / 85 / 93)

AIS grad from the Falcons who is one of the more impressive KP players in this draft in terms of height and agility but he really struggled at times to get around the park and ultimately didnt play any Champs which is a bit of a surprise given the development put into him. IN our early BF draft I took him around 50 or so but I think a few went passed him after that and hence his range would be pretty wide I would think. I still expect him to be taken and its just a function whether its from 40 onwards in the ND or he slides into Rookie. He will get a chance though bc he could be groomed for either end, has a good leap, reasonable speed but what sets him apart is his skill level either side of his body as well as his marking, kicking and his decision making. To his credit was the highest goal scorer for Falcons this year and featured in the bests in 10 out of his 17 appearances.

# 17 Collingwood - Marley Williams (Claremont / 181 / 85 / 93)

Oozes class and there aren’t many of those types left who have a bit of x factor and can play middle and fwd. Had a terrific championships where he highlighted his running and foot skills. Can see him playing on a wing as as has nice burst, looks good 1:1 and is a 70m type player. Finished off the season very well at Colts and Senior level. In fact in one of his Colt finals he had 20+ touches and 8 inside 50’s. Has a dip to. Clubs like these blokes. Will take some time to develop but well worth it.

# 18 Geelong - Haidan Schloithe (South Fremantle / 179 / 72)

Not much to young Haidan but don’t let that fool you. Gee he has a go and when you watch him you just want him at your club. Will start out as a small fwd who will use his pace to create opportunities around the key fwds. Will also be able to be the modern type small fwd who will offer the defense pressure fwds must provide these days. Tested well at DC but lacks a real motor but I think that will come. Played some really good Colts footy and got a crack late in season and went well. At the end of the day he is tough and will put his head over the ball, chase and tackle, is quick and knows where the goals are.

# 19 GWS - Jake Hammond (Oakleigh – med fwd)

Another of the medium fwds who I have a pretty wide range on (like a lot of players this year). Unfortunately though he just didn’t measure as tall as would like and testing was a bit mixed. In saying that not sure he was at peak fitness at any stage of year so could go higher given a club may have done the complete check on him. Can kick a bag and averaged 2.5 goals a game this year at TAC level as a HF which is pretty impressive and would certainly think he would land in the Rookie. Good fit for the GWS list.

# 20 Suns - Aaron Hall (Tas - med Fwd) - Seen a bit of him this year and he has some genuinely good traits as a small fwd (quick, good goal sense, neat kick). Has been on the train list with Suns.

# 21 Port - Lachlan Dalgleish (North Ballarat / 181 / 77 / 93)

Quick wingman from the Rebels who will offer the Suns genuine leg speed and a bit of class. Reminds me a bit of someone like Rohan Smith who has real pace and has good kick penetration. Nothing wrong with him as an inside type but the ability to run and carry is what is going to appeal to prospective clubs. The knock on him is that whilst there is a heap of potential there am not sure the results have been to date but he certainly has the tools to be a successful player. Surprised he didn’t go in the ND as he has real AFL talent IMO.

# 22 Lions - Michael Florio (Perth / 188 / 78 / 91)

Gone with Florio on the basis of his testing which saw him clock a 2.82 for 20s and a 15 beep which is absolutely elite. Last year he played much more off the HB line (muck like Mirra) and was very adept at sitting off the play and being that linkup player out of defence. This year they have pushed him up more and his performances have been very good. His kicking is absolutely elite albeit sometimes I wonder the open game style they play in the west and the better conditions they cop make their blokes look a little more attractive (eg I often prefer to watch the WAFL than VFL). Just offers something the Lions seem to lack a little bit.

# 23 Adelaide - Xavier Richards (Sandy Dragons - Key Fwd)

Interesting player who at times impressed me a fair bit and then at other times I thought he struggled. I think what you get here is a kid who is an athlete who is still learning his footy craft. Certainly has a red hot go and clearly gives it everything. Moves well and shows more than glimpes of what he might be but at times his impact and decision making are found a bit wanting. Am also not sure his kick penetration is as could as you would like but look I dont want to overstate the negatives bc he is a kid like Sam Reid who could just develop and put it all together in a year or two.

# 24 Melbourne - Lewis Hender (Glenelg - Medium Fwd)

At the start of the year I would have had him in the 15 - 30 range given his bottom age performances last year where he really turned it on in a couple of games. Probably didnt come along as would have liked this year but he still dominated at u18 level and in fact he got a bit of senior action late and was impressive with 3 goals. Have him sliding bc not sure if the body is as sharp as could be. Certainly has all the talent and if a club was confident they could improve the engine he could be a bargain.

# 25 Richmond - Gibson Turner (NT – small midfielder)

Small fwd from NT who was invited to DC and I thought was a genuine shot at a slot on GWS list. Is a terrific type and reminds very much of a young Leon Davis. Terrific pace and agility and very good 1:1 and even better when the ball hits the ground. Another who I would have as a mid range pick in the draft. Real favourite of mine.

# 26 Fremantle - Ryan Cook (South Fremantle - midfielder)

Ex Collingwood midfielder is a chance to turn up at Freo or Coasters IMO but lets be honest they are being linked with everyone. He had a standout year and performed really well in some big games. Very fit guy who was a good ball winner but at times he just seemed to struggle a bit with his decision making and execution. There were some v good games in there though - remember Essendon at the G and vs Adelaide in the final over there a few years ago he was really really good. His endurance suits Subi and plays the coaches style.

# 27 Bulldogs – Jarrah Maksymow (Culcairn – midfielder)

Dogs have had him down training with them and whilst they were looking at him for a senior spot given his lack of pre-seasons was always a rookie chance. I know a few blokes that look after that area and they say he has a truck load of talent. Biggest assets are his pace and ball use and given the punt they took on Skinner they may be prepared to do so again. Lin Jong or a Ben Brown woudl appeal here to as would Bolger if available.

# 28 North Melbourne - Damien Mascitti (Oakleigh - medium fwd)

Kicked 37 goals for Oakleigh this year and got a State Screen but always wary of taking kids like him to high. Plenty of examples where his type have fallen to the rookie draft and think it might be the same for this kid. Pretty sure he will be drafted and thought would be a chance late ND. Good speed, agililty and skill and ability to kick some bags so worth watching.

# 29 Essendon - Ben Brown (Glenorchy / 198 / 89 / 92)

Been tracking him for 2 years and whilst he has been injury riddled he seems to have gotten the body right and his best has been really good. Big boy who looks a natural fwd / ruck prospect much like Kurt Tippett did at the same stage insomuch as he is pretty athletic. Got a great leap and his palming is first class. Can take a strong mark and his kicking is terrific for a big boy. Most pleasing thing about him is he aint averse to the 2nd efforts. Knock on him is the fragility of his body.

# 30 St Kilda - Beau Dowler (Hawthorn - Key Fwd)

Looks a chance to be drafted by the Saints which is great bc he certainly showed a lot at underage level and it sometimes takes a bit with the bigger kids - especially if had a few injuries. May go a bit later than this.

# 31 Swans - Matthew Jacquier (WWT – medium fwd)

I think there is a bit of a view around that he has fallen off a bit this year but am not so sure. SA had a really good group of mids and medium fwds at champ time and I am not writing him off because of his non appearance and I think from memory he might have been battling some injuries anyway. Certainly in one of the trials leading into the Champs he kicked 4 or 5 from memory. At U18 level he has been a really consistent performer all year and has regularly hit the scoreboard as a leadup marking fwd. Is your genuine 3rd tall who shares some similarity with guys like Chris Mayne. His movement at ground level is pretty good laterally and is a lovely kick for goal. Massive chance for mine.

# 32 Carlton - Max Duffy (East Fremantle / 185 / 82 / 93)

Ex AIS kid who is a mercurial HF type who is arguably one of the best users of the footy going around. Well documented he has had some issues but to his credit he has put them behind him and gone on to play some good footy this year. Has genuine talent and would think he has to go without knowing enough of how he went in interviews.

# 33 WCE - Zyrus Manson (Claremont / 191 / 80 / 93)

What a shame if he doesn’t go. From what I am told the interviews at DC went a lot worse than what we were even thinking and no club was willing to risk him after the interviews. Port, Melb, WCE, GWS and Fremantle all gave serious consideration but couldn’t justify an ND pick. Notwithstanding is a freakish talent who I have seen a fair bit of now and whilst there are issues with elements of his game (he just hasnt been exposed to a proper training programme) the positives are very good. He is his own highlight reel and just seems to read the ball so well. Couples that with a desire to play in front and his huge leap and you have a kid who if he can build a motor and add some weight will be nigh impossible to stop. He could bloody anything this kid. In his 2 Colts games he had 30 touches and 21 of them were scores (12g 9). He has then gone up to play for the Waratahs in the NT and absolutely dominated smashed them with regular hauls of 8 or more including 8 or so before the ND. He has great hands, he gets in front so the umps look after him and he finishes pretty well albeit can look a bit lazy at times. He needs a lot of work but risk reward could be massive. I don’t have much doubt he can step up. Hope WCE get him bc I think they or Fremantle will have the best chance at optimising him. Melbourne or Port are outsiders.

# 34 Hawthorn - Jack Charleston (Western Jets / 177 / 83 / 93)

Was surprised that he didn’t get an invite to DC and can only think the issue is height because he seems to tick most other boxes. He has had a super year for the Jets where he has predominantly played off HB. Tough and aggressive type who can win his own ball and sort of player who runs the lines pretty well - reminds me a bit of Jason Tutt. His ball use is very good and he has the athletics background which should allow him to get into the midfield in later years but he will definitely start as a BP / HBF type. Huge chance for mine.

# 35 Collingwood - Kyal Horsley (Subiaco WAFL)

24 yo and tough midfielder type for Subi who was incredible for them this year. Good inside and out and would be a handy addition for Pies who have had huge rotation on their list and may be keen for another senior type. Really improved his endurance over previous years and getting better all the time. Terrific ball user and would go so far as to say elite.

# 36 Geelong - Brett O’Hanlon (Dandenong / 189 / 82 / 93)

Seemed to just keep on improving through the year and just loves to get involved. Lead up HF type who is a good mark and was a strong goal kicker for them this year. Has nice hands and hard to beat him 1:1 and then finishes nicely with his elite foot. Shows the ability to push up and be a midfield rotation as well and would be one I would be pretty keen on.

# 37 GWS - Darren Mitchington (Dandenong / 181 / 76 / 93)

Came onto the scene late in the year for the Rays after having performed well at the local level. In fact he ended up playing 8 games for them and was named in the bests 5 times when he was predominantly used as a small fwd. He is absolutely electric to watch and has a knack for doing things that have a touch of class about them. Will start out as a small fwd I would think and will take some time as hasn’t really ever done a proper preseason and it might be this that gets him landed on a rookie list instead but for mine he is showing that he has huge scope for improvement. If he doesn’t go I suspect Rays will have him back as the development is huge and he didn’t do the preseason with them.

# 38 Suns - Michael Coad (Suns Redrafted)

Gee I hope he gets another go.

# 39 Port Power - Thomas Schwarz (WWT – Medium Defender)

Young kid from WWT who is an excellent HB and who I thought Port may have tried to take as a F/S. Have seen a bit of him and reads the play really well and can play tall or small or even loose. Late chance for mine but probably more a rookie unless Port hit him.

# 40 Lions – Jack Hannath (Central Districts – Ruck)

Centrals ruckmen who is on the Lions radar and who the Crows are also a chance to look at. Came on really well this year and is still only 20. Might develop a bit like Darren Jolly actually albeit still needs to get around the ground a bit better but enough tools to work with.

# 41 Adelaide - Rhys Waters (Subiaco – Mid / Utility)

Player I was really keen on at the start of the year but didn’t perform as well at champs as i was hoping he would. Had some really good form post Champs though at Subiaco which resulted in some senior team action. Played middle and HF and kicked 2 goals from memory and collected 20 possessions. Then backed it up again next week and took some good form into Colts final. Just a nice smooth mover and is someone who could probably fill a range of roles. There is no standout factor with him just does everything well.

# 42 Melbourne - Piva Wright (Dandenong - Tall defender)

Might be a real bargain for these blokes to get a kid like this so late. Reminds of Mal Michael in every way. Quick, agile and reasonably good kid but when you watch him closely he is very good in traffic at making good decisions which as a back is so important bc the right one can put you into good transition spots. Also has an ability to push fwd albeit I would have him as a key back prospect.

# 43 Richmond - Sam Gordon (Geelong / Tall Fwd)

Ex AIS kid who is a super height for a KPF but has been up and down this year. Plays APS so we havent seen much of him but he went reasonably well at the champs vs Tas and SA and was missed in their final game after injuring his ankle. Came back in last couple of weeks for Falcons and has been good. In fact he has done well in all his TAC games this year averaging over 3 goals per game. Is reasonably good aerobically and sound over the first few yards to create space and distance but he is an absolute competitor and in the vision I have seen just looks like he will become a player. In saying all that he is a bit unknown because he didn’t test other than for height and was a bit shorter than what would have been ideal.

# 44 Fremantle - Brad Dick (Collingwood)

Makes me ill!

# 45 Western Bulldogs - Mark Austin (Carlton)

# 46 North Melbourne - Courtney Hylton (Western Jets – HB / Wing)

19yo who had some injury issues through the year but at his best showed enough tricks for someone to take a punt on him. He is not dissimilar to a Dempsey or a Harbrow insomuch as his best footy is off HB where he gets to use his pace and he can break lines. He is very clean with the ball and whilst his decision making can be a bit off at times he tends to use it pretty well. Nice touch of pace and class for the Roos.

# 47 Essendon - David Mirra (Box Hill – med defender)

Former Metro rep and now Box Hill Hawk who was in the frame to be drafted a few years ago and has excelled at Box Hill since being overlooked. Plays HB and reads the play incredibly well. Foot skills are sensational and any team looking for a Quarter Back will do well.

# 48 St Kilda - Michael Mascoulis (Northern Knights - midfielder)

Was injured for much of the year and really seemed to struggle in his 6 games. Haven’t seen a lot of this year but saw enough last year to suggest has some tricks and hence he is very draftable. Is very good 1:1 and he is a terrific size for a midfielder as well. Lovely foot skills and has good speed and endurance. Could play wing or either of the flanks but suspect he will start at HB at an AFL club and go from there. Could be a player who ends up having a very good AFL career because if the draft was held for 17yo’s I am pretty sure he would have been top 50 so there is genuine talent.

# 49 Swans – Harry Cunningham (NSW – Midfielder)

GWS loss is Swans gain IMO. This kid has a massive amount of x factor and is a genuine wingmen / midfielder. Extremely quick and has terrific hands in close and then can finish nicely. Did some nice things through the Champs and has plenty of admirers in NSW.

# 50 Carlton - Brayden Ohara (Central Districts – HB & Wing)

Personally am staggered he doesnt rate higher with people. Had O’Hara as high as #50 odd in ND and think he could be a super fit for a club looking for a mature age player who is ready to go and possesses, line breaking ability, a high level of skill and genuine pace. Carlton had good success with Duigan last year and may be willing to grab another one.....why not! Slot him on a wing!

# 51 West Coast Eagles -Paul Medhurst (Collingwood / Overseas Trip)

Seems like John might reach out to the man Bucks wanted back ‘home’. Lets see what happens but personally I would let that ship sail and give either Gilligan or Dell'olio a go.

# 52 Hawthorn - Cameron Eardley (East Frem – midfielder)

Midfielder from WA who I thought had a chance at a senior position but on reflection he probably doesn’t have a standout attribute and whilst a solid year not one that jumped out and said pick me. Plays more inside and always performs well when I have seen but just maybe lacks a standout feature. Tough, clean hands and uses it well. Can take a mark as well and in fact reminds me a little bit of Tarkyn Lockyer. I think he may start as a BP.

# 53 Collingwood – Ned Fallon (Sandringham – midfielder)

Be a bit surprised if this kid isn’t taken in the rookie draft and he presents as someone who could potentially be one that really goes on. Not a lot of talk about him but wouldn’t mind betting Dale Tapping has told the Collingwood guys to look out for him. Was a very good bottom year player for the Dragons playing mid / HF in 2010 and i think finished pretty high in their B&F. Ended up having some injury issues at the start of the year which kept him out but came back late and dominated for Dragons in their finals. Wins a lot of ball but can also play outside and is a good accumulator who will hurt you on the scoreboard. His skills are terrific and strikes me as someone Collingwood may look at. If you have footage of the TAC GF check it out. He played very well.

# 54 Geelong - Fletcher Roberts (Sandringham Dragons - Key Fwd)

Split his time between ruck and fwd through the year and was handy without being a standout until the finals campaign. Had a good game vs Gippy and then sprung to notoriety with his 4 goal qtr to help drag Sandy over the line in the GF and it was a great performance. Smart player who uses the body well and has a good pair of hands. Nothing wrong with the kicking and in fact its one of his real strengths. I just dont have him going as high bc not sure if over the year there was enough output.

# 55 GWS - Louis Eggar (NT – small back)

HB flanker from NT who I would have thought was a chance for the National Draft. Think of a young Byron Pickett and you are about right. Runs hard and uses it well but its his work in and around the contest that shines. Think he went to DC....not sure.

# 56 Suns - Jordan Wilson (NT / North Adelaide - small back)

Good fun to watch this kid bc their aint much of him but someone forgot to tell him. Plays small back and is probably a bit like Harbrow in that he has genuine speed and a real desire to attack from defence. IN the games I have seen he sometimes overplays it a bit but if you could curb it a bit then you have a real player. All the skills, pace and desire are there. Decision making is the only thing for me.

# 57 Port - Jimmi Savage (Norwood - Tall Fwd)

Super player last year for Norwood and went to GWS. In fact kicked their first ever goal but things didn’t work out and he ended up being sent home early. Hasn’t shone since being back but an SA club may have seen enough to give him another go. Still skinny but has terrific agility and speed for a big bloke and can take a contested mark. Has a lot of talent but queries over whether he can tap into it consistently.

# 58 Brisbane - Will Farrer (NT Thunder – Med fwd)

One of my favourite footballers of the year. Could be the next Mick OLoughlin. 21 yo who played for NT Thunder off HF where his leap and agility made him a difficult matchup. Played well against good opposition in the Foxtel Cup and had a ripping GF where he booted 5 I think vs Morningside from memory. Lots to work with and thought was a rough chance for ND but probably more likely a rookie as suspect will need a lot of work on the body / fitness. Gee he has a leap though! I suspect he will definitely go as he has a truckload of untapped talent.

# 59 Adelaide - Jarrad Harding (GWS - medium fwd)

Drifted off peoples radars and you have to remember how good he was before he went to Sydney. He was electric and if I remember correctly kicked 60 odd goals from 15 games or something. Quick and clever and uses it very well. Am sure he will be picked up but may have to improve the work rate a bit. Still am expecting one of the Adelaide clubs to take him because again remember as a 17yo he was a ripper and didn’t do a whole lot wrong this year.

# 60 Melbourne - Tom Couch (Collingwood VFL)

Mark Neeld has his eyes on this kid. Played a few games for us this year and really jumped out in a couple of them amongst pretty good company. Tough ball winner who is very good inside and can rack up a few possessions. Bit like Shane Valenti’s game.

# 61 Richmond - Corey Dell'olio (South Fremantle - small fwd)

22 yo who has come along really well and who I caught a few times this year. Ended up with something like 50+ goals and has been largely unheralded. Maybe a bit like Patrick Rose in that he isnt your classic crumber he is more your power small fwd like Mark WIlliams or Paul Medhurst was. Still he brings something and would be a chance in the rookie on what I saw.

# 62 Fremantle - Chad Sandilands (East Fremantle - Ruck)

Kid is a beanpole and is a long way off being ready to play AFL. Played a few Colts games this year and whilst at 204cm he dominated the hit outs as you would expect he struggled around the ground. Thats not surprising and given I remember when Aaron started it wont scare clubs as its not dissimilar to his story. Fremantle are making noises they will rookie him.

# 63 Western Bulldogs - John McKenzie (TAS - inside mid)

Capt Tas and I probably should have this kid a lot higher bc he was very good at champs and his performances got him an AA jumper and TAS MVP. Tough inside ball winner who is one touch and uses it well without being elite. Can push fwd and kick a goal but I wouldnt say it was necessarily his go. Circa 178cm which should be fine and just wonder if its a lack of pace that got resulted in him not getting a DC invite. Footballers footballer if you know what I mean and reminds a little of guys like Licuria.

# 64 North – Lachlan Fairley (Western Jets – Tall Fwd)

19yo who the Roos will have been encouraged by his improvement. Started year as a key back and whose agility was a feature when I saw him. Was then pushed key fwd and ruck and played really well. Has been down training with them so suspect he will go. Also had a game at Williamstown in the VFL seniors.

# 65 Essendon – Daniel Garside (St Bedes – medium defender)

Ex Sandy Dragon who apparently has an athletic background and who went and played Ammo’s this year with St Bedes and was made their VC! Tough and courageous defender who has genuine speed and elite skill with the ball but was probably a bit undersized to be taken in the National Draft. Essendon are all over him and expecting him to go this year. Collingwood might also be a smokey as he fills a spot they could use and with the Tapping connection might be more obvious than we think. He is comparable to Hibberd. Now seen some footage of him and he looks the business.

# 66 St Kilda – Ozgur Uysal (Calder Cannons - Mid / Fwd)

I thought he was a pretty strong chance to go last year and would be surprised if he wasnt a late pick or a rookie this year. Came back as an 19yo this year and he probably went under the radar a bit bc he didnt start the year terribly well but he certainly finished it off well and got 2nd in their B&F. I think he is more a fwd than a mid at AFL level as he is a silky mover and knows where to get to. Lovely skills and looks a bit effortless. Also had some VFL experience and went ok. Classy type and have him to low here. Hawks were keen last year as well.

# 67 Swans - Jackson Coleman (Sandy Dragons - Key Fwd)

Over age tall from Sandy who just got better and better as year went on and showed he can go fwd and back which will make him appealing to prospective clubs. The thing that is going for him is that he is a genuine fwd who can pinch hit in the ruck and really came on late in the season.

# 68 Carlton - Matt Lodge (NSW Rookie)

# 69 WCE - Michael Musicka (South Launceston - Wing)

Very quick wing and he is a terrific user. Surprised me at champs as wasnt looking for him but took notice in the end. Sam Dunnell would be a huge chance but gee he needs to eat.

# 70 Hawks - Cameron Valentine (Bendigo - Tall fwd)

Interesting player who I just dont know where to peg. Started slowly for Bendigo and came into the Country side late vs Metro and did one or two nice things. Took off after champs though and along with Kerridge really dominated for Bendigo playing in a few different roles and ended getting a run in the VFL. Has reasonable pace but for me its his marking and kicking that stand out. Remember hard for tall fwds in very average TAC teams.

# 71 Collingwood - Daniel Farmer (Collingwood Redrafted)

Interesting selection for mine because am hoping he gets another shot. Very good 17 and 18yo who just struggled this year in what has to be said was a very average Collingwood VFL side. Whilst I think Collingwood will redraft they may be keen to get Sundberg or Eddy onto the list if available. Sundberg they should definitely take but they seem keen on Horsley and probably wouldn’t do both. If Eddy’s knee is ok then I would be onto him but equally you could give him another VFL year and assess next year. Would also look at Gazzola as he is a Hine type. If looking for tall defenders should snap up Jack Frost if still around or Piva Wright.

# 72 Geelong - Aseri Raikiwasa (Port Magpies - Tall Defender)

Cant help but be impressed by him. Athletic tall HB type who has great endeavour and just couldn’t squeeze him in. Had a super carnival and played great footy for Port through the year albeit maybe tapered a little as year went on. Looks like he could develop well though. Watched his Champ tapes again the other night. He was unlucky not to go in National Draft IMO. Cannot have been much between he and Brown.

# 73 GWS - Ross Tungatalum (NT Thunder - small fwd)

Ex Saint who headed back up to Thunder and absolutely 'smoked' 'em this year and would have him under serious consideration for Essendon, Hawthorn and Richmond. Has real speed and is a genuine crumber who doesnt mind going into heat of battle to win his ball. Kicked a lot of goals this year and performed very well in big games.

#74 Suns - Simon Deery (Gippsland Power - Tall utility)

He is another that I rate pretty highly and not sure if thats because he is one of our locals. Got a DC invite so genuine interest in him and been part of the VC outfit for 2 years. He could / should go higher than this but will depend on his testing. Has played back and fwd and is a little like Goldsack for mine. I probably prefer him across HB where he can read the play and intercept. Takes a lovely mark and he is a good ball user. The knock on him is he needs to continue to work on the engine as his testing has been mixed at times albeit it improved this year.

# 75 Port - Lin Jong (Oakleigh - utility)

Debuted for Oaklegh this year and really impressed with this kid and should have him a lot higher. Infectious little bugger who I think could be groomed to play a variety of roles and showed that with Oakliegh this year with stints all over the ground including the ruck which at 188cm says something for his vertical leap. Tested very well from what I understand and you just need to watch him to see the speed and agility he possesses. Skills are good and i think would probably suit a range of spots so very draftable. Did some nice things in the TAC GF to. In the bests 8 out of his 14 games and huge scope for improvement.

# 76 Lions - Ben Ross (North Melbourne)

Not entirely sure he will get redrafted but he should. Small fwd / midfielder who has real good speed and hits the ball hard. Dominated the best state league when he was fit and showed plenty in a few senior runs around the middle and up fwd. All the skills are there and to be honest when he first hit the scene I thought North had a beauty. So much would come down to having had the medics look at him but if he got a clean bill you would rookie him for sure.

# 77 Adelaide - Will Young (Adelaide – Redrafted)

# 78 Melbourne – Freddie Clutterbuck (East Perth – midfielder)

Not sure if Freddie will go but he is down at Melbourne and you probably wouldn’t ahve him there if you weren’t genuinely keen. He is a pretty smoothe mover Freddie who I saw a fair bit of this year. Wouldnt say he has a heap of x factor but he is just a hard running mid who is good in and out of the contest. Must say he is a good user and can hurt offensively so whilst am a little surprised he does have a lot going for him. Only surprised because I would have had some others higher.

# 79 Richmond - John Heslin (Ireland)

# 80 Fremantle - Lachlan Edwards (Geelong Falcons - Utility)

Third tall fwd type who seems to read the game really well and knows how to get to the right spots. Very strong in contest, good hands and then uses it well by hand and foot on either side of him. Genuinely has ticks a lot of boxes. I think the interesting thing about this kid is he can also play back and have seen him run across HB and do it really well. Not sure whether it was done to build his work rate but gee he looked composed down there. Good judges i know rate though so may and told he is a chance to go higher. IN fact i saw his tapes again the other night and I should have higher than here.

# 81 Western Bulldogs - Ben Darrou (Sandy Dragons - Tall Defender)

Tall HB type who didn’t really rate early in year because I just didnt think he moved well enough but saw some of his games later in the season and thought I was watching a different player. Attacks the ball really well and makes good decisions when he gets it. Kicking is good so the only thing I was worried about was would he test well enough and he did so you would think he is a definate chance. Certainly has all the footy smarts and skills.

# 82 North Melbourne - Tom Derham (Port Magpies - medium fwd / midfielder)

Would not have been surprised to see this kid get taken in the National Draft. Very late to footy having focussed on cricket and loads of potential. Only played the 12 games for Port u18s but kicked 39 goals and that was when he had spent a fair bit of time in the middle as well. Moves well, good overhead and is an excellent kick and decision maker. Can play middle or fwd and a bit to work with. Would be a bolter and most likely a rookie.

# 83 Essendon - Dylan Orval (Oakliegh - medium fwd)

Kid who I originally had a lot higher but he didnt quite measure up to the height for a KP that I thought might rocket him up a bit. Had a serious knee injury and came back to play a handful of games without dominating. Got a DC invite and so there is genuine interest in bc he showed a fair bit as a bottom age medium fwd as well. Injuries have cruelled him and expect to see him in the rookie. Tested ok but 20m sprint could be better but thats probably a function of the knee. Couldnt decide between he and Luke Rander.

# 84 Saints - Sam Dwyer (Port Melb - midfielder)

Classy mid who shone for them and would have to be on the radars for clubs looking for a smooth moving mid who can play inside and outside who has good speed from the stoppage and just uses it really well. Can run offensively and is not a player opposition teams want the ball in the hands of coming into 50. He could have an immediate impact.

# 85 Swans - Hal Hunter (Calder - medium back)

Highly rated by the coaching group and has played in the middle and back and represented Metro. Good decision maker who is very calm under pressure and makes good decisions coming out of the back half and then distributes really well. He is a bit unassuming and doesnt do a lot to catch the eye but you have to watch what he is not doing....and thats making mistakes. Very clean and if hadnt had some injury issues woudl be right into the calcs. Could see the Dogs being into him.

# 86 Carlton - PASS

# 87 WCE - PASS

# 88 Hawks – Carl Peterson (Old Carey – Med Fwd)

Been down at Old Carey since leaving Hawks and has impressed significantly. Never any questions about his ability it was just the off field stuff that needed to be sorted and apparently it has which is a massive credit to him and those around him. Suspect Hawks will give him another go.

# 89 Collingwood - PASS

# 90 Geelong - Coleman Schache (North Ballarat - midfielder)

Handy midfielder who was excellent for Rebels this year playing 12 games and finishing in the bests 9 times. Represented Vic Country and was good for them as well but the issue with Coleman I think is what is the standout feature. He is just a really good solid footballer who does a lot of things well but just lacks that one thing that makes you stand up. Other than that I cannot fault him and I really hope he gets a chance but if he doesnt then he should get into a VFL unit and wait his turn as it will come. I think the range on him is pretty big actually.

# 91 GWS - Damian Volta (Eastern Ranges - midfielder)

Had a super year for the Ranges and finished off the year extremely well after starting slowly to finish in their best 10 out of 17 times. Good height but he is going to need to hit the Carbs and get some size about him. Got good speed and his use of the ball is pretty good but its his hands that I think are his better feature. One of those kids who might surprise on draft day bc there is a bit to work with. He can win his own footy to and would be nice fit for GWS.

# 92 Suns - Jason Williams (Calder - medium back)

One of the highly rated ones at the start of the year (inside and outside the Cannons) who had an up and down year in '11 unfortunately (his best performances were when the champs were on and a few were out so not sure how you read that) and whose prospects have probably slid a bit. Still he went to DC and his testing will be important bc it was an area for development with him. In terms of footy skill he does it all; marks well, good kick, does the 1% 'ers and has good speed - he just needs to get more of it and influence the game a bit more and i suspect thats an issue more about the 'engine' than anything else.

# 93 Port - Alex Howard (Swan Districts - tall defender)

Tall defender from WA who was good at the champs but didnt stand out for me. I know a few very good posters rate highly. In saying that he never did anything wrong and looked safe when he had the ball. Always used it well but probably just didnt influence it for mine. Got half a dozen senior games late in the year and went all right. Caught one of those games and was good without being a standout. Rander or Gazzola could be options here to.

# 94 Lions - Richard Newell

# 95 Adelaide - PASS

# 96 Melbourne - Sean Tighe (Werribee - Tall Utility)

In a year where the geniune talls have a lot of question marks against them would not surprise to see Tighe go. Missed out a few years ago and has proved a lot of recruiters wrong with his development over last couple of seasons. He played fwd and back in the VFL and did some excellent jobs for them. Club looking for a key position swing man would do well to look at him.

# 97 Richmond - PASS

# 98 Fremantle - Malcolm Lynch (Port Melb – HB / Wing)

If they framed a market for potential draftees he would have been pretty short at the start of the year but I felt he drifted bit albeit he had set a blistering pace. Came back and played a pretty good finals series. Has genuine speed and an elite foot. Can he win his own footy though? No matter – give him the footy and fwds are going to love him. Can definitely see him going and Port or Collingwood are other clubs keen. Only takes one club. Has the pace and skill level for AFL.

# 99 Western Bulldogs – Mitch Brewer (Morningside - Ruck)

Left fielder but have him train with Shane Mumford for a couple of years and you might be surprised bc he appears to have all the tools except for the body shape which just needs to be AFL tuned. Late starter and well worth a go I would think at Dogs, Swans or Lions where he is training.

# 100 North - PASS

# 101 Essendon - Allroy Gilligan (Claremont - Small fwd)

Ex Tiger who didnt adjust to Melbourne well and reportedly had some off field issues to deal with. Not sure if Melbourne is back on his agenda but he has matured in all facets and his footy is electric. Terrific crumber and I probably rate him 3rd in the pool for mature age small fwds. Skills are good and can play up the ground as well. The only knock is a bit of consistency but a good fit for the Dons, Hawks or Eagles I would think.

# 102 Saints – Daniel Joseph (Glenorchy - midfielder)

Ticks most boxes and he is another that having watched the tapes again am regretting dont have higher. Predominantly an inside midfielder who had a good champs without being outstanding (ave 13 touches) and its probably that as to why I have dropped him down a bit bc I would have thought as a mid he should be a bit higher than that. In saying that he is a beaut left foot kick of the footy and tends to weight them quite well, his ball use in close is sharp, does the little things you want from a stoppage player (eg tackles) and has reasonable pace and tested well enough. He actually strikes me as a Collingwood type they like to recruit and reminds me a little of Dayne Beams

# 103 Swans - Ben Gazzola (Norwood – Tall Fwd)

Former ammo player in SA which Ricuitto got down to Norwood and who subsequently did exceptionally well. Was reportedly 196cm but only came in at 192cm at SS which was a touch disappointing because its just not quite tall enough possibly for a KP prospect. Notwithstanding broke Natanui’s record for vertical leap so more than makes up for it there and his speed and agility results were quite unbelievable – particularly when compared to some others of similar height etc. May get left for another year in SANFL but I would grab him now. Clubs like Collingwood, Carlton, Suns and Fremantle would surely be keen.

# 104 Carlton - PASS

# 105 WCE - PASS

# 106 Hawks - Mark Hutchings (West Perth - Midfielder)

Had my doubts about his ability to come back onto an AFL list after his time with the Saints. I think he probably got dropped off their list for a couple of reasons. Firstly I think he lacked leg speed and secondly I think his field kicking under pressure was found wanting. Both of those things seem to have been remedied, particularly his leg speed given the #’s he clocked at WA State Screen. I think he might just get another chance and provide some inside assistance for a developing mid group. Testing just gets him in ahead of Blackwell.

#107 Collingwood - PASS

# 108 Geelong - Shaun Wyatt (Gippsland - midfielder / utility)

Capt of the Power this year and was a really good contributor in the games I got to see them. Had one game where he got the ball 48 times but has gone very unheralded on here. He is quick but he doesnt use it and hence he doesnt stand out - he is more an accumulator who gets it, moves it on efficienty by hand or foot and generally makes good decisions. there is a bit to work with. I have seen some of his test results and he has recorded #'s like 2.8s over 20m, an 8.7 agility and 15 beep so he is a gun athlete.

Others who could easily drop;

Scott Burnett – midfielder / fwd for Port who was their B&F last year I think (?). Had some terrific games and got better as the year wore on. Can rack up possessions and excels in close. Also can run fwd and hurt. Only 166cm though and that means he wont go unfortunately.

Mark Baguley – medium defender from Frankston who has been linked with Pies and WCE. Well built HB type who is tough at the footy and a good user.

Nathan Batsanis – Port midfielder who has been on Ports list. Was an excellent junior and has developed the pace and running capacity to be considered a genuine prospect again. Had a very good year and personally would love to see him given a go. Has genuine AFL attributes. Dalton, Shinners etc may be ahead.

Kory Beard – Port CHB who is very good and had a super finish to the year. Bit of your old fashioned bull type CHB.

Jake Beech – Doesnt get much mention but a genuine ruck prospect with good height and who is fairly agile and good below the knees. Seen him play some good games but seem like I am the only one.

Beau Black – NSW kid who tests really well and is a chance at Geelong but unsure if he will land.

Jye Bolton – Love to know what this ex Collingwood rookie did wrong bc to any of us who saw him we were a bit surprised he was punted.

Lachlan Boyd – Tall kid with excellent skills and athletic ability from Sandy who just oozes class and looks like a footballer. Results haven’t been as good as others but lots of potential.

Hayden Busher -

Jacob Carger – SA. Medium Defender. Solid but no real standout attributes that scream pick me. IN saying that not a lot between him and a lot I have above.

Ben Casley – hoping that GWS may redraft as thought he was good for them at times and certainly had a red hot go when out there. Had some good VFL games as well in his draft year so would expect him back in VFL at the least.

Jarrod Dalton - FB for Port Melbourne and is one who has been linked with an AFL club. Not one that has stood out for me as a chance but when you think about it makes sense. Good height, reasonably quick and didn’t get burnt all year.

Tom Derham (Port Magpies - medium fwd / midfielder) - Would not have been surprised to see this kid get taken in the National Draft. Very late to footy having focussed on cricket and loads of potential. Only played the 12 games for Port u18s but kicked 39 goals and that was when he had spent a fair bit of time in the middle as well. Moves well, good overhead and is an excellent kick and decision maker. Can play middle or fwd and a bit to work with. Would be a bolter and most likely a rookie.

Sam Dobson (North Ballarat Rebels - Med Fwd). Wasnt sure where to drop this kid and pretty sure he woudl be looked at before here. HF type who had a good year kicking 31 goals from a HF which was a pretty good effort. Got some time for VC and looked handy there as well. Reminds a bit of MacAffer type player. Good strong sort of player who is a good mark and solid kick. Could probably play other roles.
Ben Duscher.

Brett Eddy (Collingwood VFL - Tall Fwd) - Not sure how the knee has come up but the 20yo showed enough to suggest that at his listed 194cm he has the potential to develop into a key fwd which is an obvious area for the Pies they need to work on and with Gault, Paine and Eddy there are some different types who could all spend some time in the VFL learning. Moves well and is very athletic. Will rely on movement rather than contested marking. Skill level is as good as you will see for a tall and only knock would be at times looks laconic. Seems to have more time than others.

Justin Joyce – 19yo midfielder from WA who just racks up getting the footy and is a natural footballer but just not sure he has a standout feature to get a ND selection. If he doesn’t get rookied he will go on to dominate WAFL and be picked up later.

Jon Gianinni – Norwood mid and going well. Inside type who is good to watch but probably misses bc there are so many of him.

Alex Greenwood ( Eastern Ranges - Midfielder). Sometimes there are players like Greenwood you just know probably wont get a shot because their are so many of them but I really hope he gets a go bc there are few that put in more. If he doesnt watch out for him in the VFL next year bc he will be picked and he will be good. Tough inside mid who excels around the contest and who was outstanding for the Ranges. Very physical and adept at winning his own ball and is extremely calm in the contest and uses it well be it by hand or foot. Interestingly in the few games I saw him play he also wasnt bad at receiving around the contest and hitting a target up so may have an extra trick there.

Brayden Grenfell - Calder. Was close last year and whilst a slow start this year really started to shine later in year. With not a lot of depth and him being a multi-position tall he could get in.

Kyle Hartigan (Werribee - Tall defender). Tall defender who was a chance a few years ago and has been knocking on the door for a while. Still showing improvement and this might be his year.

Hayden Hector – GP. Terrific athlete who tested with GWS and can play through the middle as well. Just didn’t have the results but another who would have been top 50-60 this time last year.

Nick Heyne - Ex Saint who is training at Carlton and being a former Gippy boy am keen to see get another chance. Genuine talent and performed well at times in the reserves but Lyon just never gave him a chance. Smooth mover with a beaut kick and vision. I think he could go.

Justin Hoskin – Port Magpie medium defender who have seen a bit of vision of.

Jack JOhnstone (Gippsland Power - Medium Defender). Quick HB flanker from Gippy who got some interest and was sent to DC for testing. Has good speed and is creative off HB but at times just seems to do over do it a bit for me.

Matthew Jupp -

Josh Kolka – Qld ruck prospect who at times showed quite a bit but I just didn’t see enough of to be slotting him in.

Daniel Kulikowski ( Port Magpies – midfielder) - 18yo mid who have seen him a few times and I really like him. Terrific decision maker in traffic and has sensational hands. More inside than outside but huge engine and work rate and can push fwd and kick a goal. Played a lot of senior footy this year and wasnt out of place at all. Bit surprised not more highly spoken of.

Tom Langford – Havent seen enough but I know a few blokes who have seen him who rate him very highly. Terrific mark and huge work rate CHF type.

Joel Leeson – over age WA midfielder / fwd who I saw a couple of times and really liked. Very thin for 19 but possesses some tricks. More likely to watch for in WAFL next year though.

Patrick Levicki – ruck key position type who saw a lot of footy at SANFL reserves level and didn’t disappoint.

Brad Mangan – Werribee mature age player who had a super season and has a body ready to go. Good endurance and a genuinely elite kick but just not sure what role he would play.

Shaun Marusic – Over ager who played TAC again this year and was good. Also saw some time at VFL level. Good player and nice size and good athletic capability will enable him to be developed in a few roles.

Kieran McGuinness – Norwood mature ager who could fill a role at Crows for a year or two but unlikely to go at 28.....but tell that to Orren!

Sam Michael – QLD tall who i saw a few times and probably just have to many questions on his agility.

Ryan Monaghan (Geelong - Midfielder). At the start of the year I was told to keep an eye on him bc he was one of those types that is a natural footballer. I think he got injured and he didnt play there for a bit but he finished in their bests 7 times and they had some handy types down there this year so a good effort. He plays in the middle and have only seen him a couple of times but looks a good mover and is a good user of the ball.

Luke Morabito – Brother of Anthony who doesn’t get many plaudits and probably haven’t seen enough of to be sure where he might go.

Doug Morris (Northern Knights - midfielder). Not sure whether Doug goes or not to be perfectly honest. If you assessed on desire, footy skill and leadership you would take for sure but just not convinced he has the pace that clubs may be looking for. His kicking is ok without being outstanding so dont think that will hold him back but I just cant see a standout with the kid. In saying that I really enjoy watching him bc he has a red hot go, leads from the front and has no problem finding the footy.

Jake Neade -

John Nysokus – SA inside midfielder who was in the SA squad but we didn’t see much of. Certainly played well at SANFL level and was pretty prominent for them at times.

Larry Owen –

Brendan Palmer -

Kris Pendlebury – Collingwood tall defender and Capt who deserves a chance.

Peter Persinos – SA. Small fwd with Norwood who had a great year and whose height probably precludes him from going but he is very industrious and will play SANFL seniors next year for sure and should be watched.
Sebastian Purcell – Came on towards the end of the year and won best finals player with Oakleigh. He is 6ft 3 and is lightning quick so would be a strong chance to go.

Dylan Riley (South Launceston - Midfielder). If this kid could be a bit cleaner by foot I think he would probably go a bit higher. He was one of the Tassie kids I was really looking fwd to watching this year. He has good height, speed and endurance. Good in traffic and makes good decisions but you just have to be a very good user by the foot and in some of the games I saw him I just didnt think he used it as well as he could have.

Patrick Rose – Port Melbourne small fwd who is a bit more lead up style like Le Cras as opposed to your crumber and its just a position at AFL level that isn’t as prominent. Shame bc he has real talent and am sure if given a go at somewhere like Richmond would do very well. Rose in one corner, Jack at FF and a small crumber the other side.

Steve Rusca (Central Districts - medium defender). I dont think we saw the best of Rusca at carnival time but from what I saw of his work at SANFL level he was very good and he would be one many may have under rated. Most SA players are skillful and he is no different. Very good ball user and quite strong in traffic. Seems to make good decisions and would be a handy rookie if around.

Will Shea -

Trent Shinners – Bendigo back who I thought was ok but a lot of good VFL watchers disagree. I think he will just miss.

Callum Sinclair (Port Melb – Tall Fwd / ruck). Be interesting to see what happens with him because he has been around the mark for a few years but I didn’t think he showed the development some might have hoped for. Still in a ‘shallow’ pool he is worth a rookie spot for a club searching for some depth.

Lachlan Smith (Murray Bushrangers - Med Fwd). Another 190cm medium fwd who looks to have good hands and is a lovely kick.

Jordan Staley – Has a heap of potential but am just not sure where he slots in unfortunately.

Jackson Starvevich – Pies may have another look but they passed him on the F/S and whilst some good games at Champs he looks to lack a bit of agility. Does have a knack of being in the right spot at the right time and his kicking skills are very good. Might be best left in a state league to watch out for.

Toby Stribling – South Adel mid who I saw a few times and whilst a good accumulator I just didn’t see him really hurt other teams. I sense I am way off as plenty of others rate him.

Matt Suckling – Ex Sandy / Port and now Norwood inside mid who I think was the leading stoppage winner in the SANFL. Not a bad trick in the modern game.

Anthony Tipungwuti (NT - small fwd). Electric small fwd who can change a game in moments. His is exceptionally quick and is very composed in traffic and has an ability to make others look a little silly. His skills would be at the elite end but the issue for this kid is he really needs to work on the engine.

Fraser Thurlow – QLD. Tall fwd who impressed a bit during champs and some good judges north would definitely have him going but I just have not seen him play enough.

Sam Tonkes – SA utility who I only saw a little of but seemed like a handy utility type who could play a few roles but unfortunately no real standout feature

Tim Totevski (northern Knights - small fwd). Just an angry little small fwd in the mould of Milne. Dahlaus success gives him and guys like Gotch and Rioli a real shot.

Danny Watchorn -

Max Warren (Eastern Ranges - midfielder). Eastern Ranges kid who was probably one i didnt see the best of. Very proficient midfielder but just not sure where he will go and am probably not the one to ask. Know a few people rate him highly bc of ball use and speed but I havent really seen it.

Callum Wilson – Ex Eagle who has been delisted this year and could be a bargain for someone I think. I reckon he could play either end and seems to have good hands, agility and speed. May get left to WAFL for a year but wouldn’t mind betting he shows that he is up to it. Rate on par with Wilkes.

Luke Wilson (Port Magpies - small fwd) - DC invitee so genuine interest in and is one I really hope gets a go because gee has some x factor. Had a very good year for Port where he showcased his genuine speed, skill and agility but moreover he showed he can turn games of footy and that is exactly the type you look in the rookie draft. Can drift into the middle and has no problem picking up the tempo but think the engine needs a couple of AFL preseasons before he will be ready for seniors. Will need a couple of good steak dinners though.

Mitch Woofindin – Got some time for Port I think late in the year. Excellent at the stoppages but bit under sized historically and more likely to be in rookie. Very Jarryd Blair like at same age. Wouldn’t surprise at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the dogs would take Sam Frost in the PSD, or some other player they were considering taking in the ND, but didnt because Talia fell to them. And then just take Austin with their last pick rookie pick?

I dont see any advantage to putting Austin on the main list - if we need him due to injury, he could be elevated from the rookie list.

Have seen all the NT boys you mention play a lot and have my doubts whether any of them have the ability to play AFL.

Manson does but you know the rest.

Have seen all the NT boys you mention play a lot and have my doubts whether any of them have the ability to play AFL.

Manson does but you know the rest.

Yeah I saw a lot of them as well but I guess we will see. I will own up to having a real soft spot for the brand of footy Thunder play. Anyway Rookie Draft is a crap shoot but Eggar, Wilson and Turner all had enough interest to be at the DC and Farrer has been spoken of that am sure. He has a heap of talent but his biggest issue is will he do what is required to make it. Re Tunga I think he has the talent its just a question of whether he wants to live down here. Is a fav of mine and thought his performance were very good all year. His games against better opponents (eg Foxtel Cup and the two GF's) were v good as well. Would like to see him at Port, WCE, Fremantle or Lions simply bc I think the transition may be better for him. Same with Manson.

Snoop, why do you think Pies took Gault and not had a punt on Sam Frost? This is not any knock on Gault, he may be anything from serviceable to a star, but given the need for a third tall in the forward line, I thought Frost may
have been an option...or is this the role that Gault will play (and perhaps play better because of his extra height and therefore a backup ruck as well?) ---- and have I just answered my own question...?

From a Carlton perspective I doubt we'd take Jack Frost, who like his brother has a knock on his disposal by foot, something the Blues are pretty keen to avoid. O'Hara would be a great pick-up at that point and I understand we are using our last pick on Matt Lodge, one of our NSW scholarship scheme guys - an undersized KD or HB perhaps could move into midfield, excellent kick - as he is one of only 2 ex-NSW scholars and teams are allowed up to 3 before they are counted as part of your allowable number of rookies, he can be picked up as a third pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back