Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2011 Mock Draft (Edited for final selections)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Snoop, great draft, i reckon we don't need 180cm flankers so with Ellis, do you think we might go for a Jackson Paine or Todd Elton?

Do you think Roberts might be a chance at 59 if we take Ross instead of Bolger for example? I really like the look of him. Could settle Carlisle as our Fletcher replacement and be a good FF

Hey Snoop, great draft, i reckon we don't need 180cm flankers so with Ellis, do you think we might go for a Jackson Paine or Todd Elton?

Yes have thought very much about Elton in for Saints. Not sure whether I included in the roughies but with Milera and Saad coming and you blokes being a chance for Horsley late then I think that Elton or another tall early could be the chance there.

Do you think Roberts might be a chance at 59 if we take Ross instead of Bolger for example? I really like the look of him. Could settle Carlisle as our Fletcher replacement and be a good FF

In terms of your spine I think you have a really terrific one developing so I dont see it as a as big an issue as maybe others. With Pears, Hooker as defensive backs and Carlisle and Hurley with Ryder up front and Belly in the ruck you are pretty right for big talls. I think a back up ruck prospect is worthwhile hence Bolger but only after getting a really good mid first. If you wanted to get another mid and then a ruck later I wouldnt look at Roberts unless you wanted him as a fwd and I just dont think you necessarily need it more than a ruck. Hopefully that makes sense.....its all outsider looking in but I think Hird has a good squad but needs to develop his better mids and needs some crumbing fwds as well actually.

In terms of your spine I think you have a really terrific one developing so I dont see it as a as big an issue as maybe others. With Pears, Hooker as defensive backs and Carlisle and Hurley with Ryder up front and Belly in the ruck you are pretty right for big talls. I think a back up ruck prospect is worthwhile hence Bolger but only after getting a really good mid first. If you wanted to get another mid and then a ruck later I wouldnt look at Roberts unless you wanted him as a fwd and I just dont think you necessarily need it more than a ruck. Hopefully that makes sense.....its all outsider looking in but I think Hird has a good squad but needs to develop his better mids and needs some crumbing fwds as well actually.
I like Carlisle in defence, and having Roberts will complete what is the perfect structure IMO. I too would look at mids at 19 and 31, but I think if Roberts is available we'll take him. Just my 2c

Re: Snoops 2011 Mock Draft

# 63 Western Bulldogs - Lachie Neale (Glenelg - midfielder)

If this kid was 5cm taller (he is 177) he would be pushing into the first round and its for that reason you ask yourself have i got him far to low......and the answer is i think i do! Prolific ball winner, who is one touch and very clean at every level he played this year and some of his senior performances late in the season were outstanding - he had something like 20 odd touches and 5 or 6 clearances in one of the ones I saw. Runs hard and is very adept at running offensively to be damaging on the scoreboard. Surely would have tested pretty well and its staggering he didnt get a DC invite.

Is 3cms shorter than Toby Greene, yet Greene is a 1st rounder!? Tested better than Greene and has runs on the board in terms of experience against mature bodies and performances in big games.

What Neale lacks is a Victorian birth certificate.

Snoop, you said Tom Mitchell would be #1 in this draft and #3 had the GWS players been in this draft.. can you rank the GWS players for me please..

Cheers

Tell me what Greene does better than Neale then?

Compare the screening data. I know you have it. ;)
I like Neale, but I haven't seen enough to go too in depth here. Just on screen testing, Greene's got better endurance. But if you want to compare them as footballers, Greene's attack on the ball (and man) is second to none. Absolute workhorse who's a top line ball magnet. Deserving of a top 10 spot.

Saying a player will be passed on because where he's from holds little merrit. Only if it's very close between players will recruiters consider their place of residence.....unless they're an obvious flight risk.

Height is generally an issue too. Victorian kids have not been picked up because of their height, I think his residence matters little. Nahas and Foley were two players picked up in the rookie draft who I think would have gone earlier had they been taller.

Is 3cms shorter than Toby Greene, yet Greene is a 1st rounder!? Tested better than Greene and has runs on the board in terms of experience against mature bodies and performances in big games.

It is an interesting view Neddy. His testing was - generally better - than Greene's and whether the Victorian media has pumped up Greene beyond his value... well I am not sure about that. I reckon Greene is a beauty but you raise some good points about Lachie Neale and the fact he is from SA.

I think he has been very much under rated (thankfully not by the recruiting staff at the AFL clubs) by people outside of SA but it does make me laugh reading some of the phantom drafts on this site - particularly in regards to not just the absence of Lachie but were other SA 'talents' are rated (some terribly over rated). Having said that I wouldn't dare try and compare lads from other states without enough knowledge and comparison on them - but maybe thats just me being conservative.

As far as endurance goes against Vic Metro (certainly one of the U18 champ games) he ran almost 7.8km in just under 50% of game time. I don't know the percentage but I believe the majority of this was done at 80%+ capacity. I have no idea what Toby's is (I am sure very impressive) but to consider that Neale lacks in any endurance capacity shows a distinct lack of research.

I don't think we should compare the two of them, that isn't fair (presuming for one second they even look at these blogs and give two figs what a bunch of wannabe's like us on the internet think) but I think Neale may shock a few people on Thursday.

Well done Snoop for picking up on his rise in draft calculations over the past few weeks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

look i was thinking about this when i was writing this up actually. I have actually seen him 3-4 times this year and in two of those games he absolutely dominated and its not until you actually sit down and write some of these bio's that you go "what the hell is this bloke doing here he should be much higher and I will probably raise him up bc you do miss or forgot some and am happy to say he is one". Not saying he should be a first round but should be a lot higher. He ticks a lot of boxes and in some ways he is a bit like a Jason Tutt and he may just surprise a few come draft day. As you say his testing was elite and his ability to influence games is significant. That last senior game I saw him play for Glenelg was exceptional.

FWIW - there are plenty of kids from all over the country who havent been picked bc of height issues but I sense that is changing a bit. Teams want ball winners, speed, skill and decision making and he has each of those.

It is an interesting view Neddy. His testing was - generally better - than Greene's and whether the Victorian media has pumped up Greene beyond his value... well I am not sure about that. I reckon Greene is a beauty but you raise some good points about Lachie Neale and the fact he is from SA.

I think he has been very much under rated (thankfully not by the recruiting staff at the AFL clubs) by people outside of SA but it does make me laugh reading some of the phantom drafts on this site - particularly in regards to not just the absence of Lachie but were other SA 'talents' are rated (some terribly over rated). Having said that I wouldn't dare try and compare lads from other states without enough knowledge and comparison on them - but maybe thats just me being conservative.

As far as endurance goes against Vic Metro (certainly one of the U18 champ games) he ran almost 7.8km in just under 50% of game time. I don't know the percentage but I believe the majority of this was done at 80%+ capacity. I have no idea what Toby's is (I am sure very impressive) but to consider that Neale lacks in any endurance capacity shows a distinct lack of research.

I don't think we should compare the two of them, that isn't fair (presuming for one second they even look at these blogs and give two figs what a bunch of wannabe's like us on the internet think) but I think Neale may shock a few people on Thursday.

Well done Snoop for picking up on his rise in draft calculations over the past few weeks!

Good post and good read.

UNderstand you dont want to talk about kids you dont know but would be keen for you to give us the top 10-12 SA kids as you see them. You obviously watch and would be keen on your views.

Snoop, you said Tom Mitchell would be #1 in this draft and #3 had the GWS players been in this draft.. can you rank the GWS players for me please..

Cheers

So many people ask me to do this and so I will give it a go. I think i did it elsewhere and forgive me bc I dont have my notes with me so may forget a few. Remember its hard to compare them bc they didnt play against each other and they didnt play champs either so makes it harder to compare;

1 - Shiels
2 - Coniglio
3 - Patton
4 - Mitchell
5 - Cameron

To this point you could make a case for all of them to be # 1. I wouldnt argue with any case put fwd by someone for them to go ahead of someone else.

6 - Wingard
7 - Tyson
8 - Hampton
9 - Buntine
10 - Longer

be very hard to argue the order of these.

11 - Tomlinson
12 - Greene
13 - Treloar
14 - Darley
15 - Adams
16 - Golds (didnt see a heap of him this year but highly rated by GWS)
17 - Haynes
18 - Kavanagh
19 - Hombsch
20 - Kersten
21 - Townsend
22 - Manson
23 - Docherty
24 - Bugg
25 - Crozier
26 - Ellis
27 - Aylett
28 - Talia
29 - McKenzie
30 - Wilson

I have probably left out quite a few that would slot in but hopefully that gives a picture

Good post and good read.

UNderstand you dont want to talk about kids you dont know but would be keen for you to give us the top 10-12 SA kids as you see them. You obviously watch and would be keen on your views.

Thanks for the opportunity and invite Snoop.

We know that this years draft isn't deep - from 35 in put your hand in the hat and see what name you draw... SA is no different and I think they will have the lowest national draft numbers since 2007. Some people may argue that with the success the U18 SA side had it should be higher - in my opinion a great team and not a team full of superstars.

I honestly can't come up with ten new kids who will go on Thursday. I have 6 who I am confident will go but haven't included older players such as Spurr, Stribling, Shenton etc. I think these three, in particular, all have value either very late or moreso in the rookie draft on 13th December.

I would love to be controversial but these are my picks, in order, with possible draft selection range:

1. Wingard (4-8)
2. McKenzie (15-27)
3. Forster (20-27)
4. Murdoch (20-35)
5. Neale (35+)
6. Grigg (20-45)

If I had a 7th player it would probably be Waldhuter from 50+.

There are kids like Luke Wilson, Lincoln McCarthy, Rory Laird, Nick Joyce and Cameron Ellis-Yolmen who are reasonable chances as rookie prospects but I don't think we will see them called in less than 48 hours time.

But then again, I guess the people in the know will make these decisions!

Thanks for the opportunity and invite Snoop.

We know that this years draft isn't deep - from 35 in put your hand in the hat and see what name you draw... SA is no different and I think they will have the lowest national draft numbers since 2007. Some people may argue that with the success the U18 SA side had it should be higher - in my opinion a great team and not a team full of superstars.

I honestly can't come up with ten new kids who will go on Thursday. I have 6 who I am confident will go but haven't included older players such as Spurr, Stribling, Shenton etc. I think these three, in particular, all have value either very late or moreso in the rookie draft on 13th December.

I would love to be controversial but these are my picks, in order, with possible draft selection range:

1. Wingard (4-8)
2. McKenzie (15-27)
3. Forster (20-27)
4. Murdoch (20-35)
5. Neale (35+)
6. Grigg (20-45)

If I had a 7th player it would probably be Waldhuter from 50+.

There are kids like Luke Wilson, Lincoln McCarthy, Rory Laird, Nick Joyce and Cameron Ellis-Yolmen who are reasonable chances as rookie prospects but I don't think we will see them called in less than 48 hours time.

But then again, I guess the people in the know will make these decisions!

yeah i think i have them roughly the same and have the same view post 40 - ie bit of a lottery in terms of who will go where and Waldhuter is one I just personally like bc of the way he goes about his footy. I think CEY will go bc he just has the tools clubs look for so am expecting him to be called out late or in the Rookie at some stage.

Be interested in your views on Jacquier, Dinham, Hender, Nyskohus, Raikiwasa
Rander, Derham and Schwarz.

Personally quite like both Jacquier and Hender but probably expecting them to go late or into the rookie. Would be surprised if they werent rookied.

The snoopmiester...a question.

Waht about Sebastian Purcell from Oakleigh?

He was named as their best finals player, had the highest kicking efficiency at the club(80%) and is the fastest man ever tested.

He ran a 2.72 in the March TAC testing, the fastest time ever. He also ran 2nd in the stawell gift 400 metre final(by an absolute whisker!) as a 16 yo.

He is 6.3, can play in virtually every position and has incredible closing speed.

Not enough to be considered in the top 100 or so?

yeah I know him and understand the testing but he didnt end up getting an invite to State Screen testing whcih suggests he is probably up against it a bit but look it only takes one club and with those numbers someone could be squirelling him. Also I didnt think he was a standout at TAC level and would think there would be a few in front of him. I think history also suggests testing isnt everything - eg Brad Harvey!

Lets hope he makes it!

yeah I know him and understand the testing but he didnt end up getting an invite to State Screen testing whcih suggests he is probably up against it a bit but look it only takes one club and with those numbers someone could be squirelling him. Also I didnt think he was a standout at TAC level and would think there would be a few in front of him. I think history also suggests testing isnt everything - eg Brad Harvey!

Lets hope he makes it!

ok.

He did win best finals player for Oakleigh which would suggest he stood out somewhat at TAC level.

Yes testing isn't everything but the quickest EVER? It is not just a fairly quick time but nobody has ever run quicker out fo the many thousands who have tried.

He did miss a lot of games for Oakleigh due to injury and also is a duel APS premiership player .

ok.

He did win best finals player for Oakleigh which would suggest he stood out somewhat at TAC level.

Yes testing isn't everything but the quickest EVER? It is not just a fairly quick time but nobody has ever run quicker out fo the many thousands who have tried.

He did miss a lot of games for Oakleigh due to injury and also is a duel APS premiership player .

as i said lets hope he does get it. few players in that oakleigh side who were really standing out at the end of the year. apparently the programme their is exceptional. might start knocking calder or Falcons off for best talent producer in Vic.;)

Very well done Snoop. Loved the rookie draft too. Volta towards the end is a guy I really like, hope he gets a rookie spot.

What do you think of Brad Mangan? Would it be mainly just his height stopping him from getting drafted?

Your view on Chris Prowse too? Don't think I saw him anywhere

as i said lets hope he does get it. few players in that oakleigh side who were really standing out at the end of the year. apparently the programme their is exceptional. might start knocking calder or Falcons off for best talent producer in Vic.;)

Very good to hear!

(I don't particularly support Oakleigh or anything, but with a young Vander Haar on their list as an underager next year, I sincerely hope they develop kids like nobody's business! ;))

Remove this Banner Ad

Back