Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly can't remember a worst 1st game from a player then what Clarke had. Callum Porter maybe, but I think Clarke was even worse then that. You can't keep a player in after a performance like that 1st gamer or not, you have to have some standards.

Do you remember when Mick McGuane had a jab and when he tried to kick it was like his foot wasn’t even there. That’s what those disposals of poor Charlie’s reminded me of.
I’d have given him another chance to see if it was just nerves.

Why play freijah in defence in the VFL then wing at afl?

Sounds like what we did with JOD, albeit less extreme of a difference.
Because thats the position on the ground that allows players the best opportunity to run straight at the ball. Its also gives him a good grounding on what is required as he pushes into defence like all the best wingers do to so as to provide coverage and outlets for the other defenders.

It's an under appreciated skillset that modern wingers provide and one of the reasons that I bang on about how detrimental to our team our wings have been. It also gives me a greater appreciation for what Hunter for all his flaws provided

Last edited:
Vandermeer’s opponent got nine coaches votes but it’s good to see him persisted with again, the way he uses his speed to run down players from behind is crucial and his ability to be composed under pressure is certainly not an issue.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s the stuff you don’t see that the coaches really love. A lot of unrewarded running.

It’s the stuff you don’t see that the coaches really love. A lot of unrewarded running.

I regularly watch players off the ball at games, he runs around aimlessly most of the time which is why he’s involved so little. I think a pressure forward has been a glaring hole on the list for years, if a forward was rushing the opposition consistently and laying tackles I’d play them right now if they were going stat less.

I regularly watch players off the ball at games, he runs around aimlessly most of the time which is why he’s involved so little. I think a pressure forward has been a glaring hole on the list for years, if a forward was rushing the opposition consistently and laying tackles I’d play them right now if they were going stat less.

Sorry I was being sarcastic.

He needs to start doing some rewarded running

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like I'm watching entirely different games to everybody else based on the last few pages. IMO:
  • Khamis was dropped because he has played two poor ones in a row, has been exposed in one-on-one contests constantly, and has consistently been out of position.
  • Vandermeer kicked two nice goals last week and in an endless list of players that played poorly last week, he was not in the top (bottom?) five.
  • Keath's VFL form has been lauded for weeks. Can't have a VFL form-based selection policy and not reward it.
  • Buss is probably not playing because we have eight players <50 games + another debutant, and there is another in his position in similar form with more experience.
  • Clarke is not playing because he got a chance probably a bit early last week with two small forwards out, and did not make the most of it (to put it lightly). He will get another chance.
  • Most who watched Sanders in the VFL felt he wasn't working hard enough defensively.
  • Duryea has been good most of the year so far.

I'm not going to pretend the changes are exactly what I would've picked or anything. But my personal view is that it's clear that some here are so over the coaching staff that they will criticise anything that happens at all.

Vandermeer’s opponent got nine coaches votes but it’s good to see him persisted with again, the way he uses his speed to run down players from behind is crucial and his ability to be composed under pressure is certainly not an issue.

It really is a joke, add the lack of ability to actually contest with any vigour

But you know selection integrity and all that

Feel like I'm watching entirely different games to everybody else based on the last few pages. IMO:
  • Khamis was dropped because he has played two poor ones in a row, has been exposed in one-on-one contests constantly, and has consistently been out of position.
  • Vandermeer kicked two nice goals last week and in an endless list of players that played poorly last week, he was not in the top (bottom?) five.
  • Keath's VFL form has been lauded for weeks. Can't have a VFL form-based selection policy and not reward it.
  • Buss is probably not playing because we have eight players <50 games + another debutant, and there is another in his position in similar form with more experience.
  • Clarke is not playing because he got a chance probably a bit early last week with two small forwards out, and did not make the most of it (to put it lightly). He will get another chance.
  • Most who watched Sanders in the VFL felt he wasn't working hard enough defensively.

I'm not going to pretend the changes are exactly what I would've picked or anything. But my personal view is that it's clear that some here are so over the coaching staff that they will criticise anything that happens at all.
Two nice goals, did he earn them? create them with play?

There was a marking contest on centre wing where the ball was kicked in the air, he was running towards it, the hawthorn player with the flight of the ball, all he had to do was come forward in the marking contest and he gets a front on free kick, what did he do, as he always does, went soft on the contest. Another one where he refused to put his hands out in a marking contest cost them possession.

He is soft, doesn't tackle, puts no defensive pressure on and turns the ball over.

Would not get a game at West Coast but holds the worn our goat and Bevo photos that all favourites before him have held and gets a game.....its a disgrace and will continue to be.

Two nice goals, did he earn them? create them with play?

There was a marking contest on centre wing where the ball was kicked in the air, he was running towards it, the hawthorn player with the flight of the ball, all he had to do was come forward in the marking contest and he gets a front on free kick, what did he do, as he always does, went soft on the contest. Another one where he refused to put his hands out in a marking contest cost them possession.

He is soft, doesn't tackle, puts no defensive pressure on and turns the ball over.

Would not get a game at West Coast but holds the worn our goat and Bevo photos that all favourites before him have held and gets a game.....its a disgrace and will continue to be.
If we are naming players that went soft in a contest last week then you'll get pretty close to 23.

I am no fan of Vandermeer and agree he's been given way too many chances. Last week, though, there were loads worse than him.

I'm OK with these.

Sanders was maybe close and we would all like to see more of him but if they think he needs another game or two to consolidate some things and rebuild his sense of how good he can be I'm OK with that. What we DON'T want to see is Sanders yo-yoing between VFL and AFL. That would be worse for him and worse for the side. So IMO it's good medium term thinking.

Khamis probably had to go for all the reasons stated over the last week. Keath comes in to see if we can find the right balance of KPDs and interceptors (even Freijah could roll back to HB as an interceptor if needed). It's not just about whether Richmond has tall KPFs. We need to find the right mix and try to settle it before we commence the horror stretch of the next month.

Yes Busslinger is surely close to a debut but I'm not in favour of two debs in the one week. It's a big step up, especially if debuting at the MCG. We saw how Clarke failed to handle the big moment last week. Can you imagine if we had TWO players not doing their debut justice in the one game? It comes back to what Dannnnn's been on about - are we still gunning for a finals spot or are we all about development? Looks like we haven't given up on finals action yet. Two other reasons for leaving Buss out (1) a possible injury scare (2) Keath offers a whole lot more leadership and experience (oh, and good recent form too). Even if we're not expecting finals action, another team performance like last week's could leave some long term damage to our self-belief. We don't need that. Keath's direction should help steady the defence. Liam Jones can't do all that on his own.

I wasn't expecting Cleary but there's logic in it. He's been consistent. He has been around for a while so he's not likely to experience as much stage fright as a debutant. And he knows he won't get many more chanecs to secure his AFL career. I hope they make Duryea the sub and give Cleary a full game. He might do better than we are expecting. However Duryea's been named in the 18 so I guess he stays in. Maybe Macrae or Gallagher as the sub.

West back in. Baker out. Nothing controversial there.
Freijah's debut is of course exciting, but it was expected. Let's hope he can handle the transition a bit better than Chook.

It's not every week I agree with team selections. These changes weren't exactly what I was thinking but there is a good case to be made for all of them.
Go Dogs.
Go Bevo too - he could do with some respite from the media pressure.

That was the worst two goal game I’ve ever seen. Vandermeer was horrible but for those two goals last week. He has also been next to horrible each week, with a couple of ok mediocre games. For some reason Bevo sees something will improve in his or he thinks because he can run fast that that somehow translates to fast football. Diesel Williams was as slow as treacle but he made the game faster because he was smart and skilful, two things unfortunately Laith is not.

If we are naming players that went soft in a contest last week then you'll get pretty close to 23.

I am no fan of Vandermeer and agree he's been given way too many chances. Last week, though, there were loads worse than him.
I'm not saying there weren't, you said he had 2 nice goals and should stay, he shouldn't be there period

Saturday night we will see the same crap rolled out again

That was the worst two goal game I’ve ever seen. Vandermeer was horrible but for those two goals last week. He has also been next to horrible each week, with a couple of ok mediocre games. For some reason Bevo sees something will improve in his or he thinks because he can run fast that that somehow translates to fast football. Diesel Williams was as slow as treacle but he made the game faster because he was smart and skilful, two things unfortunately Laith is not.

I'm not saying there weren't, you said he had 2 nice goals and should stay, he shouldn't be there period

Saturday night we will see the same crap rolled out again
Do you both think he was worse last week than Khamis, Clarke, Ugle-Hagan, Gallagher and O'Donnell? I think he was better than all - which is obviously a terrible sign. He didn't play well, but I'm not surprised to see him stay in given the other changes. Especially with the most likely VFL replacements seemingly not putting their best foot forward.

I'm OK with these.

Sanders was maybe close and we would all like to see more of him but if they think he needs another game or two to consolidate some things and rebuild his sense of how good he can be I'm OK with that. What we DON'T want to see is Sanders yo-yoing between VFL and AFL. That would be worse for him and worse for the side. So IMO it's good medium term thinking.

Khamis probably had to go for all the reasons stated over the last week. Keath comes in to see if we can find the right balance of KPDs and interceptors (even Freijah could roll back to HB as an interceptor if needed). It's not just about whether Richmond has tall KPFs. We need to find the right mix and try to settle it before we commence the horror stretch of the next month.

Yes Busslinger is surely close to a debut but I'm not in favour of two debs in the one week. It's a big step up, especially if debuting at the MCG. We saw how Clarke failed to handle the big moment last week. Can you imagine if we had TWO players not doing their debut justice in the one game? It comes back to what Dannnnn's been on about - are we still gunning for a finals spot or are we all about development? Looks like we haven't given up on finals action yet. Two other reasons for leaving Buss out (1) a possible injury scare (2) Keath offers a whole lot more leadership and experience (oh, and good recent form too). Even if we're not expecting finals action, another team performance like last week's could leave some long term damage to our self-belief. We don't need that. Keath's direction should help steady the defence. Liam Jones can't do all that on his own.

I wasn't expecting Cleary but there's logic in it. He's been consistent. He has been around for a while so he's not likely to experience as much stage fright as a debutant. And he knows he won't get many more chanecs to secure his AFL career. I hope they make Duryea the sub and give Cleary a full game. He might do better than we are expecting. However Duryea's been named in the 18 so I guess he stays in. Maybe Macrae or Gallagher as the sub.

West back in. Baker out. Nothing controversial there.
Freijah's debut is of course exciting, but it was expected. Let's hope he can handle the transition a bit better than Chook.

It's not every week I agree with team selections. These changes weren't exactly what I was thinking but there is a good case to be made for all of them.
Go Dogs.
Go Bevo too - he could do with some respite from the media pressure.
On Busslinger, he is very close to selection. He moved into the rehab group today to monitor his loads, the club are being cautious not to overwork him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back