List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why did we delist Mason Wood again?
The only real regret among the delistings, I think, given what’s he has shown since and the role he plays. Having said that, from memory at the time he had become another “why did we give him four years?”

65 games in 8 years Western. I get where your coming from but he wasn't going to take us anywhere and he wont take the Saints anywhere.
Falls into the Garner 9 yrs - 49 games / Daw 10 yrs - 54 games basket sadly.

So Luke McDonald and Kayne Turner who we kept instead were taking us where exactly?

Why did we delist Mason Wood again?
Because the only year he has played a full season was last year and he won't play a full season this year.

He's played 119 games of the 230+ that have been played since his debut year and been at St Kilda for four years and missed over a seasons worth of games.

Because the only year he has played a full season was last year and he won't play a full season this year.

He's played 119 games of the 230+ that have been played since his debut year and been at St Kilda for four years and missed over a seasons worth of games.
No. Because Brady Rawling is an imbecile. It’s the reality you need to accept. It will then make it quite clear to you why we are headed for our 5th bottom 2 finish in a row. :stern look

Wood was never shit with us. There were countless players burst onto the scene only to get lost shortly afterwards during the Scott years, he was yet another one.

The contrast once he was used in a consistent role that suited him at St Kilda suggests (like many other quirks that led us here) that it was us, rather than him.

We also had him pigeon holed as him as an undersized key forward.
Strange that his number one key attribute was running and we never tried anything different.
To think we could’ve kept all aust wingmen in Mason and never trade for Polec and had a king on the list helping Larkey. Ramifications of no brains leading.

Luke won a bnf and no one's defending Turner. Wood was ******* s**t or injured with us for almost his entire career with us. Maybe played like 5 good games.
You probably don't remember.

I think it’s you who has the issue with memory, if you are trying to frame an argument that keeping McDonald and delisting Wood was in anyway good list management.

Not only did we keep McDonald, he got 5 years!

Based on your standards, I’d be interested to know McDonald’s 5 good games also.

No. Because Brady Rawling is an imbecile. It’s the reality you need to accept. It will then make it quite clear to you why we are headed for our 5th bottom 2 finish in a row. :stern look
In seven years he played more than 15 games once. He played okay football but couldn't get on the park. He's played one quarter of the season so far this year. He's not a shit player but he just wasn't available enough. If we'd kept him you'd be whinging about the fact Brady kept underperforming injured players instead of turning the list over with him as the example.

Wood was never s**t with us. There were countless players burst onto the scene only to get lost shortly afterwards during the Scott years, he was yet another one.

The contrast once he was used in a consistent role that suited him at St Kilda suggests (like many other quirks that led us here) that it was us, rather than him.
Yet there where plenty that excelled under Scott.

In seven years he played more than 15 games once. He played okay football but couldn't get on the park. He's played one quarter of the season so far this year. He's not a s**t player but he just wasn't available enough. If we'd kept him you'd be whinging about the fact Brady kept underperforming injured players instead of turning the list over with him as the example.
How presumptuous of you. You have no idea of what I know. What I thought we should do back in 2020 with that list cull. Keep on placing your deluded faith in Rawling. Keep on being stupid. :stern look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

65 games in 8 years Western. I get where your coming from but he wasn't going to take us anywhere and he wont take the Saints anywhere.
Falls into the Garner 9 yrs - 49 games / Daw 10 yrs - 54 games basket sadly.

Bloody criminal that the coaches that we had never tried to use one of his elite skills (running) and put him on the wing.
I myself a novice did say to try him on the wing.

Wood was never s**t with us. There were countless players burst onto the scene only to get lost shortly afterwards during the Scott years, he was yet another one.

Perhaps a little of column A and a little of column B. We never really used him correctly and he was perhaps coasting along. Fair ****s to him, he responded very well to the kick up the arse that only a delisting can offer.

I think it’s you who has the issue with memory, if you are trying to frame an argument that keeping McDonald and delisting Wood was in anyway good list management.

Not only did we keep McDonald, he got 5 years!

Based on your standards, I’d be interested to know McDonald’s 5 good games also.

I appreciate the fact that we all love hyperbole here on Big Footy, but come on... are you seriously suggesting that if given the choice back in 2020 and without owning a magical DeLorean, you would have delisted the bloke who won the best and fairest and retained a bloke who played just 8 games and averaged 9 disposals per game? Argue all you like that we should have persisted with Wood, but framing it as a poor choice between the two at the end of 2020 makes you look foolish.

I appreciate the fact that we all love hyperbole here on Big Footy, but come on... are you seriously suggesting that if given the choice back in 2020 and without owning a magical DeLorean, you would have delisted the bloke who won the best and fairest and retained a bloke who played just 8 games and averaged 9 disposals per game? Argue all you like that we should have persisted with Wood, but framing it as a poor choice between the two at the end of 2020 makes you look foolish.

I wasn’t saying we should have delisted McDonald in 2020.
What I am saying is that it shows why we are so effed, when we had the mentality to build a list around guys like Turner and McDonald and delist Wood.
The proof is in the pudding.

Wood looked cactus at the end of 2020 but I think we overreacted to what was not a typical season.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, I agree with this. It appears the list decisions in late 2020 had some basis in who had responded poorly to the adversity of that season, particularly living in the hub.

I've never felt comfortable with AFL clubs and especially coaches using the adversity thing to decide whether to trust and give opportunities to a player. Treating a young person poorly just to see how they respond and then having your own bias confirmed by that response is atrocious management policy.

Covid and the hub were, of course, not something the club had any control over, so it's not quite the same thing. But as hilly implies above, there were perhaps a few decisions made that year by some hard-headed old Shinboners who didn't appreciate how difficult the hub environment was for some people. The fact that it mentally destroyed our coach should have been the tip-off.

I wasn’t saying we should have delisted McDonald in 2020.
What I am saying is that it shows why we are so effed, when we had the mentality to build a list around guys like Turner and McDonald and delist Wood.
The proof is in the pudding.
Okay sure. I am interested to know though, because it comes up so often - is your issue with Turner his entire career or is it the last season he was given after he had been delisted?

Tim English should be our target this year. He’s right in the age bracket where big guys start to figure it out. Could just go tandem forward and ruck all day with Xerri. Might not be producing amazing football at the minute but has a really high ceiling.

Also at a team with too many talls who may not be willing to pay him what he is worth.

Freo and WestCoast don’t appear to have a need for him which was always expected to be his trade destination in the past.

If we could get Smilie Trainor and English into our team at the end of the year that would go a long way to fixing some of our list balance around bigger bodies that can compete. Then bring further talls and small forwards in from second and third rounder picks.

Last edited:
Okay sure. I am interested to know though, because it comes up so often - is your issue with Turner his entire career or is it the last season he was given after he had been delisted?

Wouldn’t say I had an issue his entire career, just when he showed he wasn’t an AFL standard footballer and we kept him in the list.

This diagram did raise a chuckle.

Polec ticks the three main boxes but was pre-Rawlings. He’d be the spiritual father of your diagram.

F##k, but I’d love to have some positives to discuss about North. It’s probably going to be the debut of Hardiman and then of Sausage George that I’ll focus on.

What’s the timeline for Sausage to be back from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back