Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Some little facts arising from Round 6:
  • The average crowd of 41,366 is the highest ever recorded when there's been only one MCG game
  • 5 of the 8 games were in the top 3 ever for their respective Home/Away combinations - the other 3 were ranked 8th, 11th and 20th
  • We've now had 22 instances this season of the highest crowd for a Home/Away @ Venue combination
  • Four clubs had attendances in their top 15 of all time - Port (1st), Freo (7th), GWS (12th) and GC (13th)
  • Coll v Port the 9th biggest attendance between teams from different states
There's only been 24 instances of teams from different states getting over 60k. Collingwood's now done it 6 times in the last 7 opportunities at the MCG - all within the last 13 months. As ever, it won't always be good times, but at least Collingwood are making the most of it while they can.
11th best overall, and 2nd best when you exclude r1,Anzac round and final round.

Everything just clicked.

Top attendances for North Melbourne home games: Sunday after 4pm
OpponentDateTimeVenueAttendanceNotes
Collingwood31-Mar-20134:40 PMDocklands41,040Round 1
Richmond24-Apr-20114:40 PMDocklands36,461Anzac Day Eve
Richmond08-Jun-20147:10 PMDocklands32,977Queen's Birthday Eve
Hawthorn21-Apr-20244:05 PMDocklands30,648Yesterday
St Kilda03-Jul-20114:40 PMDocklands29,693

Thought it must've been somewhere up there. Maybe helped by starting earlier (relatively speaking), and both clubs optimistic of a belated first win, but unsurprisingly 30k+ has always required a few favourable anomalies.

Previous best (and only) crowd for NM v Haw in the graveyard slot was 28,481 in R3 2007 (both teams had pretty good seasons, but North started 0-2 while Hawthorn were 2-0).

The Geelong designated home game could make it tough.

Forecast not too bad.

Saturday 27 April

Summary
partly-cloudy.png
Min 9Max 17Partly cloudy.Chance of any rain: 5%
rain_5.gif

Melbourne area

Partly cloudy. Light winds.

Top 10 (Collingwood vs Non-Vic H&A crowds in Melbourne)
  1. Rd 1 2024 = Collingwood vs Sydney (78,933)
  2. Rd 8 2023 = Collingwood vs Sydney (71,463)
  3. Rd 15 2023 = Collingwood vs Adelaide (65,930)
  4. Rd 6 2024 = Collingwood vs Port Adelaide (65,834)
  5. Rd 9 2013 = Collingwood vs Sydney (65,306)
  6. Rd 21 2007 = Collingwood vs Sydney (63,842)
  7. Rd 13 2012 = Collingwood vs West Coast (62,957)
  8. Rd 19 2003 = Collingwood vs Brisbane Lions (61,868)
  9. Rd 18 2023 = Collingwood vs Fremantle (61,157)
  10. Rd 3 2019 = Collingwood vs West Coast (60,878)
Updated list.

Suspect we are going to have a massive GA overflow into the AFL reserve tomorrow night. By design no doubt.

They've decided to put Q1-Q9 rows A-S on sale and Q10-Q15 all rows.

GA areas will only be Q1-Q9 rows T-DD. By comparison, last years game (83.9K) GA was all of Q31-Q35, Q1-Q7 and Q8-Q15 rows K-DD and GA still filled up the top of the AFL.

Plus they clearly forgot to put level 4 Front on sale in Q49-Q51 which have just gone on sale despite the rest of the Olympic being sold out to the very back last week.

Suspect we are going to have a massive GA overflow into the AFL reserve tomorrow night. By design no doubt.

GA areas will only be Q1-Q9 rows T-DD. By comparison, last years game (83.9K) GA was all of Q31-Q35, Q1-Q7 and Q8-Q15 rows K-DD and GA still filled up the top of the AFL.

Plus they clearly forgot to put level 4 Front on sale in Q49-Q51 which have just gone on sale despite the rest of the Olympic being sold out to the very back last week.

The AFL Members' area for tomorrow night is currently still behind what the Coll/Port match pre sold. The back third of the top deck will definitely be available for GA if required.

The AFL Members' area for tomorrow night is currently still behind what the Coll/Port match pre sold. The back third of the top deck will definitely be available for GA if required.
Yep i know they are selling up to Q23 Middle and I doubt they will get that far around.

You also got to remember that 1 out of 5 afl members are Collingwood club support holders. Collingwood along would have more afl members combined except for when Carlton and Essendon play each other

You also got to remember that 1 out of 5 afl members are Collingwood club support holders. Collingwood along would have more afl members combined except for when Carlton and Essendon play each other
Exactly, AFL reserve for all Collingwood games when the Pies are doing well is going to be close to full.

I still think the AFL will be filled to the top again tomorrow by all the GA members.

Just q1-3 T-DD for GA, but if you look at Ticketek there's so many seats in front of those all the way round the Southern Stand that are open.

If I was a GA richmond member and my best option was row T behind the goals to see my side get flogged again, I might think about staying home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just q1-3 T-DD for GA, but if you look at Ticketek there's so many seats in front of those all the way round the Southern Stand that are open.

If I was a GA richmond member and my best option was row T behind the goals to see my side get flogged again, I might think about staying home.
I hope there is a big GA walkup otherwise it would be a disappointing crowd. They’re spruiking 80,000. Sure, 15-20k turnup because it’s a marquee fixture but the walkup will need to be big to ensure it pulls 80,000.

I guess we will find out soon enough 🤔

Tonight will be lucky to get much more than 55,000 esp as it seems the Tigers fans are dropping off in large numbers this season.

55K?

Surely 70K?

Richmond reserve seat member driving down from NSW.
It’s more than a game now. It’s a tradition Anzac Eve.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tonight will be lucky to get much more than 55,000 esp as it seems the Tigers fans are dropping off in large numbers this season.
Disagree mate, this will get between 67 -71,000

Tigers' fans will want to see how their young kids are developing and that is all they can hope for this season.

Dees fans should be up and about rain, hail or snow? :p

They’ve opened up a lot more seats for Geelong vs Carlton (middle of level q in Olympic, front and middle of q in southern, one bay or level m in ponsford). They’ve also sent out an email to geelong general admin members to upgrade to reserve seat for $16 for level m.

Looks like general admin will be back of southern and Olympic level q and maybe whole ponsford level q?

Previously theyd been releasing bays just about one bay at a time and they were going very quickly. Geelong would only have a few thousand reserve seat members at mcg, so probably a lot of general admin walk up from both Geelong and Carlton.

I think 70,000 would be good. More than 71,000 I think would be a record between the two. 50,000 would be the record as a Geelong home game

Disagree mate, this will get between 67 -71,000

Tigers' fans will want to see how their young kids are developing and that is all they can hope for this season.

Dees fans should be up and about rain, hail or snow? :p
Lets hope it does get 70K+ but that will solely rely on how many of the Richmond Army are willing to turn up.

The good news that will impact the crowd is that the overnight rain is clearing to the east so it should be fine but cold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back