Review Cats turn Lions into wet pussies at the Gabba by 26 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Potentially- one way to look at what Fagan said about their out vs our out was that we managed the loss better as a team. As in we adapted. Whereas they did not.

The other way is that it took a more crucial piece of their team out and forced a crucial forward (structural setup piece) to be moved.

However, this is arguable, as wet weather typically isn’t a kick mark hold uncontested possession game style. It’s a contest, ugly, territory game. Evasive Small forwards and contested beast mids are the key.

Well, they actually have very good small forwards and very good contested midfielders.

We might be equivalent or better with our small forward stocks, but our mids are very green compared to theirs.

And, Daniher is a near 200 game player, who’s played a fair bit of ruck, virtually the same height as Conway and way stronger. So he shouldn’t be beaten.

Fagan needs to looks at himself. The tactics were terrible. One extra mid and using a mid as ruck. The cats just went to their strength against this - rebound with speed and let the small guys run into it.
I agree that the differences in how the two teams dealt with key players going off is down to the coaches.
To my mind it was almost a clinical win. We didn't really blast them at any particular time. We just kept doing our thing. The fact we seemed better prepared to play in the conditions is a testament to the coaching staff. I can just see a meeting where there is input on different scenarios that need to be looked at and added to the bullet points at the next meeting with players. Playing in the rain, odd matchups, what ifs......etc. Scott has shown he looks at a game plan with greater depth than most coaches.
I liked how in the beginning, we were kind of hanging on. Playing hard, but having to be reactive against a motivated and confident side. As soon as they stalled a little, showed a crack, we went just little harder with the pressure and took over, especially at the end of 1Q and 2Q.
Again, I think that is good coaching by the whole staff.

Bruhn looking the goods this year.. but only 58% TOG last night... what the?

Surely he doesn't need to be spending 42% of the game on the bench.

We are undefeated so I guess they know what they are doing.

Look at his possession counts for low tog though..imagine how good he will be once he can play 80 %.

I’m pretty sure he can, but just doesn’t.

Feels like we (this forum) keep having this discussion every couple of weeks.

Bruhn was the lowest, but most of our mids don't play 80+ percent of a game. Especially when it comes to Parfitt, Bruhn, and Atkins.

(Danger played 82% of last night's game, but he was fresh off a 4-week break - he played 75% Round 1 and 73% Round 2. Also, Danger's a special case.)

Whether they're all managed or they swap because they occupy similar roles (albeit play in different ways), I'm not sure. But last week against North, Bruhn played 66%, Parfitt 68%, and Atkins 72% - not a huge difference. Against the Bulldogs, it was Bruhn 67%, Parfitt 70%, and ATkins 75% - bigger variability but not massive.

So while Bruhn perhaps still has a bit more of an engine to develop, he may only ever hit low-mid 70s in any case.

EDIT: typo.

Bruhn looking the goods this year.. but only 58% TOG last night... what the?

Surely he doesn't need to be spending 42% of the game on the bench.

We are undefeated so I guess they know what they are doing.
I was watching the bench last night and it was very hard to get people on and off. Lots of play over the “other side” and very few goals. Usually they try and do rotation 5m into qtr and often it was well over 10 by the time they got a chance.

So maybe that is a simple reason why down from normal 65% they try and get MF?

Or it could be that danger back 82% TOG mean less minutes for Bruhn?

This year is pretty unbelievable. If you told me in January that our trip to Brisbane featured zero goals to Cameron or Hawkins, Stewart a sub out with concussion at the mid Point, no cat with 25+ disposals, Dangerfield quiet, 2 multiple goal scorers with neither 3+ then I would be consoling myself with the idea that we got done by the likely premiers.

Clearly Cats have a few twilight age players
Smart player management is thus critical
Players most likely to retire, rotating in and out
Stanley - Conway rotation is a prime example
As many players as possible must be tried.
Cats good start allows player management
Rest and recovery to be at peak when needed
Clark Dempsey may be the future stars
However the focus needs to be wider
Never put all your eggs in one basket
Rest them and test Mannagh and Hardie
Cats list has a bunch of promising players
It would be wise to see what they offer
Bring in Jeka an give him a big job to do.
Rohan as rebounding HB offers versatility
Dropping a fringe player for a few games
Parfitt has shed a few kilos and is refreshed
Hawkins has gained a few kilos and slowed
Find a way to play Neale as 3rd tall forward

No!... not all the above changes this week

Must plan ahead look at the bigger picture
How do Cats become a FA destination club?
How do Cats build a football dynasty?
How do Cats develop the young players?
How do Cats create a winning culture?
A: Give Opportunity : Reward Merit : Care for

Careful casting aspersions on player character
Carlie Cameron, officially, is of Good Character
Irritating pests all wear a different team jersey.
Instantly of impeccable character wearing Hoops

I was watching the bench last night and it was very hard to get people on and off. Lots of play over the “other side” and very few goals. Usually they try and do rotation 5m into qtr and often it was well over 10 by the time they got a chance.

There was one moment I was really worried we were going to get an interchange infringement right when we had a player taking a shot at goal (3rd quarter perhaps?). Not sure if you noticed it or whether it was on the broadcast, but there was a real panic around the interchange gate trying to stop one of our players stepping over the line before the right number had come off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awkward Krieger GIF by Archer

Re the title of this thread 🤔

I agree that the differences in how the two teams dealt with key players going off is down to the coaches.
To my mind it was almost a clinical win. We didn't really blast them at any particular time. We just kept doing our thing. The fact we seemed better prepared to play in the conditions is a testament to the coaching staff. I can just see a meeting where there is input on different scenarios that need to be looked at and added to the bullet points at the next meeting with players. Playing in the rain, odd matchups, what ifs......etc. Scott has shown he looks at a game plan with greater depth than most coaches.
I liked how in the beginning, we were kind of hanging on. Playing hard, but having to be reactive against a motivated and confident side. As soon as they stalled a little, showed a crack, we went just little harder with the pressure and took over, especially at the end of 1Q and 2Q.
Again, I think that is good coaching by the whole staff.

Spot on. Scott himself thought we had their number towards the end of the first.
Luckily for us our game day thread doesn't contain any coaches that we know of, especially the poster who said he was going
home/to bed or something. Great venting, and why not.
:)

Danger played forward a lot.

My best guess is that the staff probably looked at our clearance mids and realised that we don’t have the outright firepower of the best, but we bat deep - so keep everyone fresh as you can.

It's amused me for years, that in this highly technical age they still depend on shouting and boards. You'd think with under a minute left they could change the lighting on the scoreboard to all blue or something.
I asked a player once, he was trying to get on, in vain for ages, the VFL is worst for this- he laughed but had no real answer other than it's frustrating.
They certainly haven't had a problem embracing reviews but the interchanges have had no thought since they started.
Maybe time out like in basketball? just brain storming-don't hound me down!

Cameron had a game to forget. The fact that we won well without much help from him is a positive. I thought Duncan was ok.
It didn't always work but generally on a no frills, wet slog day, Duncan racking up up footy at half back and getting territory was a big plus. He was our second highest effective disposal winner.

As always, the two or three dodgy moments a game will always have the microscope on him while the other 20 useful involvements are brushed aside.

Reckon they’ll go with O’Sullivan. Don’t be surprised if there’s other changes after a tough slog too. Duncan looked like he may need a rest pretty soon to me.
Duncan was named in our best players on the AFL website for the 3rd or 4th time this year. He remains prolific. We get the ball to ground and let Duncan and Holmes operate the Geelong slingshot.

"Looks slow" though, I get it. We don't like that here.

Reckon they’ll go with O’Sullivan. Don’t be surprised if there’s other changes after a tough slog too. Duncan looked like he may need a rest pretty soon to me.
I think Stanley back, to share with Toby, and Blicavs KB
ZG will take on the Stewart role, and we have MOC, Kolo, Duncan, Atkins all capable of covering defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back