Toast Round 6 = Collingwood 123-81 Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Steady on mate. This was just an observation of another amazing young footballer!

Nick wasn’t no.1 - He was the best no.4 selection period!

The no. 1 selection was a reference to how the dominoes fell. Not my personal preference…
My reference was an observation of the actual players selected in this position. I do think he will be the best since Nick Riewoldt in this position though.

Both Nick and JHF will both be top 5 in the AFL. I’d take either, but Nick is ours, and he is Collingwood royalty… Thus my bias will always be with Nick.

To answer more succinctly and with an attempt not to predicate with hindsight. I’d like to think I’d still take Nick. He may not have the power game or overhead ability of JHF. What he does have is an unparalleled football brain, exquisite skills, leadership and the ability to put a team on his shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
All good mate not an attack at all, I was having the exact same conversation with my brother watching the game- it’s all hypothetical and hard to imagine anyone getting drafted ahead of Nick, but gee JHF would be good in our midfield.

Not sure how it can be considered sniping when his own supporters have similar complaints.
lol. Because every supporter of the pies thinks JDG is amazing…..you and the port supporters are absolutely correct. Rozee is overrated and he’s a rubbish AFL player. Today shows that.
I’m so glad he doesn’t play for us.

It’s 100% sniping.

But I’m completely ok with you having your own opinion…:hence why I didn’t comment or respond to you.

I mean, given we played as poorly as we've played all season, you can't really blame anyone

That was beyond deplorable in the first quarter

Particularly coming of a 2 week break when the excuse most of the season has been "short breaks"
Cod…..I read your posts but don’t respond often.
Just wanted to say your opinions are valid (whether I agree or not) and don’t stress about negative responses.

We all think our opinions are correct and posters (including me) get defensive when challenged.
It’s our opinion and usually formed by historical evidence or experience.

It’s not personal and we’d be a poorer place if everyone stopped posting because they were worried about being personally vilified.

Just keep drinking from your mug and keep being you buddy!

Cod…..I read your posts but don’t respond often.
Just wanted to say your opinions are valid (whether I agree or not) and don’t stress about negative responses.

We all think our opinions are correct and posters (including me) get defensive when challenged.
It’s our opinion and usually formed by historical evidence or experience.

It’s not personal and we’d be a poorer place if everyone stopped posting because they were worried about being personally vilified.

Just keep drinking from your mug and keep being you buddy!

Mug doesn’t work this year

This year it seems that anytime I wear Collingwood merch watching games we lose

So for the last 3 weeks I haven’t worn any of my Collingwood merch and we’ve won

Too scared to put any of my stuff on now lol

I cannot believe that after quarter time, we kicked 14.17 to 6.6. That was an absolute massacre.
I think l overrated Port, like most people, but l doubt they're a genuine top 4 side. I think we got fooled a little by Port, but when you consider they had already played 4 games in Adelaide this season, you can understand their early season form. Today was their test, and they failed miserably. On the road, they can still be dominated.

16.19 - 6.6 after they kicked their last score in Q1 at about the 20 minute mark unless I’m mistaken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the most dominant we have looked for a long time.

Best pressure game I have ever seen DeGoey play, just think what he would become if he had that intense defensive effort there all the time.

I thought Cameron was just outstanding and his efforts to get back to support the defence so often was amazing.

Also, Maynard is having a sneaky good AA type of season.

All good mate not an attack at all, I was having the exact same conversation with my brother watching the game- it’s all hypothetical and hard to imagine anyone getting drafted ahead of Nick, but gee JHF would be good in our midfield.

Too easy, mate. Would 100% love him at the Pies.. It’s hard to convey and gauge emotive response at times on a text based forum. TBH, I didn’t think you were having a dig, just pointing out we have our own superstar and I just hedged a little.

Watching another no. 1 today in Harley Reid…Good-golly-gosh. That kid goes alright as well!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fly's presser

In the first quarter it looked like 'where this is spark going to come from?' and it emerged and it was great wasn't it?
"Yeah, you come to the MCG and every week you're playing an opposition of quality and the competition is very even. We allowed them [Port Adelaide] to get their game going. I thought their pressure was enormous, it was over 2 [200] for all of the first quarter which is a huge number. A number we probably haven't faced this year. They've got a lot of strengths forward of the ball, kick really well and put us under scoreboard pressure. I was pleased we held our nerve; just got a couple of goals late in that first quarter to give us a little bit of a spark. It's a tough competition isn't it?"

Will Hoskin-Elliott and Patrick Lipinski were critical to that turnaround?
"I'm glad you mentioned those because I was going to draw attention to them anyway. I thought Jordy [De Goey] was amazing, absolutely amazing. His pressure and contest around the ball. Everyone sees those things; Nick Daicos and these guys are just our stars, but not much recognition goes to our role players. Will [Hoskin-Elliott], I call him the 'Swiss army knife', so I've put that out to the world now because he can play everywhere. He's done a lot of jobs for us over a long period of time. We wanted him to go forward today and play a bit taller. It was pleasing that he takes his marks. He's a brilliant mark so it was nice to see our role players shine and it doesn't always look like that because they're so reliable in ways people don't see so it was nice for him to shine. Patty [Lipinski] to kick 4 goals, he runs enormous patterns for us and really pleased for both of those players in particular".

Darcy Cameron was significant as well?
"He's in good form Darcy isn't he? He's been really important to us. He's one you think right from the start of the season he's hit the ground running. He's been significant for us and against Soldo who's been the #1 hitout to advantage player in the competition leading into this game and they brought in another big guy to really challenge us in that area, so Darcy has been critical for us".

What do you think changed? Was it Quarter Time or could you sense something shifting late in the first quarter?
"There's little things. Referring pressure was something we were doing early and then we started to take a bit more territory by hand and foot. I think our forwards were starved of opportunity a bit early [on], but they looked dangerous. I think we scored nearly every second time we went inside 50 early, so we just needed to get more volume there, so our mids got busy. We've got a pretty simple formula really, let's get the ball going and turn up and have fun doing it. There was some energy built through that. You could see it just coming. This group has done it for a while now knows when it's starting to get our game going. I think we looked way more connected today than what we have in previous weeks".

How did you spend the bye period? What did you work and focus on?
"We had a real energy in focus on taking a deep breath and we actually gave them [the players] a bit more time off than we normally do. I heard Ross Lyon speak about it post-game that this game is so difficult and every week is a challenge and he spoke about his back-to-back 5 day breaks. I'm not sure if much gets mentioned around those things, but there is a cost to that. It's training and coming in a bit underdone versus the opposition potentially energy wise. We're not here to make excuses for it, but right now to have a couple of extra days to get mind and body ready, we felt that on Monday when they bounced into it work and got to train and said "okay, there's a bounce in their step' which then we can start to train a bit more and express ourselves more in that regard. It's still a work in progress".

How much are you looking forward to the Anzac Day match?
"I've always tried to stay here in the last couple of years, stay here and appreciate what we just did and to take the deep win with us. We're not going to lose sight of 5 days time. It's a significant day on the calendar for Australians, and we'd like to think that we can play a little part to honour those who served us".

Back to Will Hoskin-Elliott, that mark late in the first quarter seem to come at a really important time for you guys.
"Yeah, and we're looking for players to step up in moments. Have your moment and do your thing. Whether it's a great tackle from Bruzzy, or Nick getting the ball and taking on a few guys. Just play to your strengths. Every club is trying to do that. The challenge is to do it when you're up against it and for someone to be that guy. I think we played a bit more in the moment today than we have previously, so it's something we can build on".

Did you have a sense of occasion with Scott Pendlebury being 5 short of reaching 10,000 disposals?
"I did know he was leading in, but that's not the reason [he was subbed off]. We sort of went into the game thinking if the game presented it that we could look after some of our players, and Pendles was high on the list, so no I didn't have a sense of occasion but next week should be fun".

With regard to your on-field leaders, do you give them licence to try and talk to the other players who need a lift?
"Yeah that's an integral part of our make up and how we connect on the field and who leads and it's not a one person thing. We wanted to shine a spotlight on it today and how we connect. We took a step forward. It's not a one person thing. Our leadership is 23, or 22 on the field at one time or 18 plus the others so I think you get it. It's not a one person thing".

The selflessness of Bobby Hill stood out. No doubt this will get highlighted during the week in team review?
"I know players talked about it post-game in how important that is for energy because it's 'our' goal. Individuals kick goals, but they're ours so when we share it around it's another level of us and ours. We'll make sure to highlight that again during the week, but that was a massive part of energy of our group today when others celebrated others success. It wasn't about 'me', it was about 'us'. Huge".

He's had a slow start to the year, but that sort of stuff seem to give Lachie Schultz a big lift in his energy and getting involved in the game?
"Yeah, I think you come here today and I thought there's so many teams around the same mark at the moment. I put on the board before the game 'style points' with a question mark. I think the broader footy world are trying to critique about 'you could be winning by more, you should be doing this better, you're not quite doing this or you're AFL #17 in this', but really it doesn't matter. We're in the process of qualifying. There's only 4 points on offer today. Not style points. We just had to get the job done and I don't care what it looks like from here on out or to wherever. We're just in the process of trying to get to 14 wins because that's the number we think we'll make the finals. That's all that matters right now".

After Quarter Time, you were +43 for contested ball. That's a huge number, so I'm assuming that's something you're hoping you can take into the Essendon match on Thursday?
"It was a massive focus for this game because if you don't get that right against Port they'll get the game on their terms. We talked about it all week, trained it and tried to get that balance right around what that looked like. Every game is different. Some teams are really good at clearances so you got to get that part of your game right or there's other teams with the aerial threats on what that looks like. Everything is different, but that contest was critical against Port and [I'm] really pleased with the staff in Scott Selwood and Hayden Skipworth and those guys are doing behind the scenes to put that into practice, and we get rewarded because of their hard work".

Did you have any injuries today?
"No, we're reasonably healthy. It's a good thing to have the moment with a 5-day break. We kept a couple away from the VFL just in case. We're in healthy shape today. Shout out to Steele Sidebottom who is 2nd all time [of Collingwood games played] Collingwood player in the history of our football club since 1892. What an amazing achievement, so we celebrate that. And Chelsea Roffey who is a goal umpire. 300th game today and I know Chelsea from way back so congratulations to Chelsea. Huge achievement, 300 games. Well done".

Jack Crisp seems to never miss a game. He's played 220 consecutive games.
"He hasn't missed any. He hasn't missed many training sessions. Huge resilience".

Loved the game. Our highest score since round 2 last year, against the same teal pretenders we faced today. And to do it from 31 points down? Chef's kiss.

We got our identity back (let's ignore the first quarter yeah?) in terms of pressure and ball movement and basically everyone contributed.

My best 5 were (in order) Nick, Hoskin, Jordy, Bobby & Cameron.
Lippa, Cox, Bruz & Mitchell close to them.

Nick's start was slow, but in the second half in particular he completely owned the game. Port paid him no respect, and teams that do that will be on the end of performances like this. Leading player on the ground for contested possessions & clearances, let's hear idiotic oppo fans tell us he is soft and can't win the ball...absurd player.

Hoskin's first half was the best footy he's played for us for 5+ years. 9 marks in the first half (!) and he was so clean. He played the Reef role better than Reef is capable of right now, great move by the coaches.

Jordy was a beast. Unlucky not to finish a goal or two but was so hard at it, such a crucial player for us when he plays like this.

Bobby was the provider today, he looks so confident right now. Every time he went near it you felt like something was going to happen, he's so good. Could have honestly kicked 5 himself but he was loving every minute of it.

Darcy Cameron has been flying under the rader I think. The combo of him and Cox made Soldo/Sweet look stupid. His ruckwork & follow up has been top notch, if Essendon go in with Goldy & Draper next week I think we have a decent edge there.

The game felt like a 10 goal win. It probably should have been, I think it was the most scoring shots we have had in a game for about 7 years? (Round 10 2017 we had 39, can't see any other game higher, but it's late and i've had a few)

Are we back? ANZAC day awaits. If we do the right thing against Essendon then we're absolutely back on track, and would set up a pretty bloody big game vs Carlton in round 8.

Carn the Pies.

Loved the game. Our highest score since round 2 last year, against the same teal pretenders we faced today. And to do it from 31 points down? Chef's kiss.

We got our identity back (let's ignore the first quarter yeah?) in terms of pressure and ball movement and basically everyone contributed.

My best 5 were (in order) Nick, Hoskin, Jordy, Bobby & Cameron.
Lippa, Cox, Bruz & Mitchell close to them.

Nick's start was slow, but in the second half in particular he completely owned the game. Port paid him no respect, and teams that do that will be on the end of performances like this. Leading player on the ground for contested possessions & clearances, let's hear idiotic oppo fans tell us he is soft and can't win the ball...absurd player.

Hoskin's first half was the best footy he's played for us for 5+ years. 9 marks in the first half (!) and he was so clean. He played the Reef role better than Reef is capable of right now, great move by the coaches.

Jordy was a beast. Unlucky not to finish a goal or two but was so hard at it, such a crucial player for us when he plays like this.

Bobby was the provider today, he looks so confident right now. Every time he went near it you felt like something was going to happen, he's so good. Could have honestly kicked 5 himself but he was loving every minute of it.

Darcy Cameron has been flying under the rader I think. The combo of him and Cox made Soldo/Sweet look stupid. His ruckwork & follow up has been top notch, if Essendon go in with Goldy & Draper next week I think we have a decent edge there.

The game felt like a 10 goal win. It probably should have been, I think it was the most scoring shots we have had in a game for about 7 years? (Round 10 2017 we had 39, can't see any other game higher, but it's late and i've had a few)

Are we back? ANZAC day awaits. If we do the right thing against Essendon then we're absolutely back on track, and would set up a pretty bloody big game vs Carlton in round 8.

Carn the Pies.

Very good summary. I actually think Nick D is flying under the radar… his game was sensational but as he’s set such a high bar he often gets overlooked in game reviews

Also thought Mitchell was massive in the contests

Interesting selection in the forward line leaving McInnes as sub but WHE and Lippa definitely covered that gap. Probably not a long term solution and a one off to some extent, Lippa won’t kick 4 and Will won’t take two F50 hangers every week…. But definitely hats off this week to coaches for that move.

Don’t think we had a weak link today although some defenders had frostbite today from the ball not coming down; their end too often so had a pretty easy hitout.

As for the slow first quarter yes it was a slight worry but in hindsight the power nailed some tricky goals there so we’re a little lucky to be out to such a lead. I actually thought we won the match in the first quarter kicking three goals to regain the momentum and reel the lead in to something manageable.

Finally some forward line chaos when the ball hits the ground. Big improvement. Not many teams will be able to handle that.

The unselfish play is a thing of beauty. It comes naturally to Bobby and it will become infectious.
What a difference it makes when we don’t just bomb it in long every time like we have in previous weeks.

We need ground balls in our F50 and let Bobby work his magic!

The Cameron-Cox ruck combination is the most underrated in the game. May actually be the best.
What I love is how other sides are now giving them some attention and trying to play two rucks as well, which messes up their own structure.

Really important we stick with this set up. It works for us and others are finding it hard to match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back