Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

May I post in your forum?

This was a great game and a clear choke. We nailed hard shots from the boundary and 40+, your blokes missed gettables from 30-40 in the V. If you like to attribute blame, then the players and maybe the fitness people are to blame.

Hinkley out coached McRae for most of the night. He got bits of input from broken players like Lycett and Dixon, the tactics were perfect for the conditions, sensible match ups, the players were fired up exactly right. Stuff like using Rioli in bursts to expose Quaynor, the mix of blokes on Daicos, the patchwork ruck as fellas went down, it was a masterclass. The last two years we're used to seeing clubs exposed by Mcrae (eg Vossy repeatedly botching his midfield mix) but not this time.

You got slightly the better of the umpiring (that's the way these days, the umps crucified you in round 2 over here) but there were howlers both ways, not sure if anything was decided by that.

These posts blaming Hinkley for the loss are unreal. Ken is wringing amazing performances from middle tier list. Imagine if you had the resources to lure in Jeremy Cameron or one of the Kings? Port's weakness is off field, the political and money stuff. Footy you do well.

Just on the coaching buzz, maybe Carr is the replacement you need but he's not exactly a Hardwick or McRae, stints at Freo and in a state league is half an apprenticeship these days.

Change the coach if he's damaging the club (you're second, very hard for a non-Vic club) or there's a better option (there isn't, on paper.). Don't just go for Carr because he was an excellent on field leader. We did that with Bucks and Tony Shaw and while both had their good points, neither was as successful as the fella before them who was a grumpy outsider (Matthews and Malthouse).

If Hinkley's time is up you're losing a major part of your success, I suspect you will go down for a bit. Maybe Carr's the one to take you down and up the ladder again with this brilliant young midfield group: in particular I can watch JHF all day, solid gold. The only subpar thing about him is that joke of a mo, he was going hard in the last, putting you in front, belting our toughest player and crashing just about every pack. Is he 20 yet? Love to see him on fire in a Grand Final, and it'll happen soon IMHO.

If this is Ken's last tilt he's going out with the old guard in bandages, the young bloods on fire and all guns blazing. There's a sense of "here and now" for Port (like us, we still rely so much on Pendles and Sidey for all the talk of Daicos). I think you have Brisbane covered, so likely you are grand Final bound. I hope we make it there too, would be another cracker.

This was a great game and a clear choke. We nailed hard shots from the boundary and 40+, your blokes missed gettables from 30-40 in the V. If you like to attribute blame, then the players and maybe the fitness people are to blame.

Hinkley out coached McRae for most of the night. He got bits of input from broken players like Lycett and Dixon, the tactics were perfect for the conditions, sensible match ups, the players were fired up exactly right. Stuff like using Rioli in bursts to expose Quaynor, the mix of blokes on Daicos, the patchwork ruck as fellas went down, it was a masterclass. The last two years we're used to seeing clubs exposed by Mcrae (eg Vossy repeatedly botching his midfield mix) but not this time.

You got slightly the better of the umpiring (that's the way these days, the umps crucified you in round 2 over here) but there were howlers both ways, not sure if anything was decided by that.

These posts blaming Hinkley for the loss are unreal. Ken is wringing amazing performances from middle tier list. Imagine if you had the resources to lure in Jeremy Cameron or one of the Kings? Port's weakness is off field, the political and money stuff. Footy you do well.

Just on the coaching buzz, maybe Carr is the replacement you need but he's not exactly a Hardwick or McRae, stints at Freo and in a state league is half an apprenticeship these days.

Change the coach if he's damaging the club (you're second, very hard for a non-Vic club) or there's a better option (there isn't, on paper.). Don't just go for Carr because he was an excellent on field leader. We did that with Bucks and Tony Shaw and while both had their good points, neither was as successful as the fella before them who was a grumpy outsider (Matthews and Malthouse).

If Hinkley's time is up you're losing a major part of your success, I suspect you will go down for a bit. Maybe Carr's the one to take you down and up the ladder again with this brilliant young midfield group: in particular I can watch JHF all day, solid gold. The only subpar thing about him is that joke of a mo, he was going hard in the last, putting you in front, belting our toughest player and crashing just about every pack. Is he 20 yet? Love to see him on fire in a Grand Final, and it'll happen soon IMHO.

If this is Ken's last tilt he's going out with the old guard in bandages, the young bloods on fire and all guns blazing. There's a sense of "here and now" for Port (like us, we still rely so much on Pendles and Sidey for all the talk of Daicos). I think you have Brisbane covered, so likely you are grand Final bound. I hope we make it there too, would be another cracker.
Thank you for the football analysis and appreciation of football in general. The port adelaide football forum sadly is unbalanced by a hard core of posters who have a clique mentality and by a moderator who provides tactic cover and support for the negative commentary of the team he professes to support or barrack for.

Thank you for the football analysis and appreciation of football in general. The port adelaide football forum sadly is unbalanced by a hard core of posters who have a clique mentality and by a moderator who provides tactic cover and support for the negative commentary of the team he professes to support or barrack for.
Screenshot_20230724_083949_Chrome.jpg

An absolute stinker of a game from Wines. Literally offering us nothing. I called for his head 2 weeks ago and was laughed at but if that game doesnt warrant at least the threat of being dropped than idno what does. Did anyone actually notice him out there tonight?
Its a massive issue that doesn't get enough discussion. Wines is a plodder and is dead to us on the wing. He has zero impact for breaking lines and delivering the ball by foot, Ollie is the worst kick in the side, just in front of Bergman who again butchered the ball soooo many times Saturday night. He and Jones SHOULD not be allowed to kick the thing, all 3 cost us significantly. There is an old footy saying, if you cant kick you cant play!!

Sad fact is, and stating the obvious, this level is a 'come as you are' scenario at this time of year. And most players are now carrying some sort of injury - some of them serious.

We have no choice but to play injured players if they are a better option than what we have in reserve on our list. And managing them to play in the games we think they are most needed with possibly 9 games yet to to play is a part of the management process.

A classic case of dealing with relativities rather than absolutes in an imperfect environment and limited options. Something that I reckon gets missed from the sideline commentators.
We have immediate replacements for Lycett & Dixon who both need a rest.
And I would be looking at replacing wines/ boak asap. Narkle, Jackson, Mead spring to mind

Some reasonable points, but I'm not too sure comparisons between McRae and Hardwick are valid just yet, and as for the `choke' bit, your mob have been doing Bambi Woods impersonations in grand finals since Moses played full back for Jerusalem!

This year may be different and if it's not against us the very best of good luck, but that last game of the season has been chock a block full of broken dreams for wobbler supporters more often than not.

I like to think we lost it in the first 5 minutes of the last quarter, not the last 5 minutes. Scrapping out a lead and then getting it wiped out in 3 minutes was the defining moment.

From there it just followed the years trend:
1690155389739.png

We've somehow had the last amount of behinds kicked against us of all teams in the league.

Sad fact is, and stating the obvious, this level is a 'come as you are' scenario at this time of year. And most players are now carrying some sort of injury - some of them serious.

We have no choice but to play injured players if they are a better option than what we have in reserve on our list. And managing them to play in the games we think they are most needed with possibly 9 games yet to to play is a part of the management process.

A classic case of dealing with relativities rather than absolutes in an imperfect environment and limited options. Something that I reckon gets missed from the sideline commentators.
I get it, lots of players banged up at this time of year, but good teams don’t play 4 clearly injured/ non performers based on name only. I didn’t see any woods players limping around, struggling to run like Lycett/ Dixon/ wines/ boak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Murphy? lol

Even Todd won't be happy with his game on Saturday night. He wasn't alone. Jeremy has been conspicuously absent for the last two games. Charlie probably got the most out of himself and is obviously playing hindered.

I didn't like the way we went inside 50 and it may have been a deliberate strategy given the weather conditions or whatever but it doesn't suit us. Our key forwards have thrived on good delivery, leads being honored etc etc this year so its probably no surprise that they collectively struggled against Collingwood.

Kicking at goal continues to lose us games and generally lower our percentage. Since 2017:
  • 2017 16th
  • 2019 16th
  • 2020 16th
  • 2021 7th
  • 2022 13th
  • 2023 13th so far...
There's your outlier stat where we continue to drastically underperform now somebody ******* DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! If the game against Collingwood doesn't drive it home what will?

Was against Moore at most contests

The byproduct of kicking high to the same area on repeat is that the key defender known for his ability to get to contests is.. quite unsurprisingly going to get to lots of contests.

As I pointed out a couple of times, in open / general play we’ve entirely reverted to blind bomb it high kicks that suit defenders.

When we’re lowering our eyes and delivering to kfs in space it’s off the back of stoppages before hinkleys flood has had time to set up.

We’ve got the least productive system for kfs to take easy marks in. Every thing they do is going to be twice as hard.

I think the expectation is for them to not concede easy intercept marks and to force stoppages, which fits in with both what we say and what the coach has said is our priority.

Curnow and Cameron would look like battlers here.

Dixon’s highest goal average came at Gold Coast, when he was barely fit. Was a lesser player delivering more in that system.

So apparently we had a golden run from the umps - as per callers to Whateley and King, who has basically written us off and thinks it’s doubtful we even finish second.

Interesting - frees were almost even and at least a third of ours were from pretty blatant deliberate out of bounds calls. The goals to Evans and SPP could have been reversed by free kicks, but otherwise I didn’t think there was much in the umpiring. If that’s us getting the rub of the green, it’s extraordinary that no-one’s leapt to our defence the other 17 matches this year.

I do think it will be very tough from here. A win in the showdown is not negotiable. Terribly disappointed that Rioli will miss because he’s in terrific form at the moment.

Was against Moore at most contests

The byproduct of kicking high to the same area on repeat is that the key defender known for his ability to get to contests is.. quite unsurprisingly going to get to lots of contests.

As I pointed out a couple of times, in open / general play we’ve entirely reverted to blind bomb it high kicks that suit defenders.

When we’re lowering our eyes and delivering to kfs in space it’s off the back of stoppages before hinkleys flood has had time to set up.

We’ve got the least productive system for kfs to take easy marks in. Every thing they do is going to be twice as hard.

I think the expectation is for them to not concede easy intercept marks and to force stoppages, which fits in with both what we say and what the coach has said is our priority.

Curnow and Cameron would look like battlers here.

Dixon’s highest goal average came at Gold Coast, when he was barely fit. Was a lesser player delivering more in that system.
We definitely were coached to bomb it long sat night. Conditions favoured that approach, but most of our long bombs were too short, Duursma did 2 or 3 howlers early, Rozee did some exquisite ones that were deep & dangerous. Whilst Finlayson spent the whole first half hanging off the back of the pack hoping for a crumb, whilst his man attacked the contest unopposed, marked the ball or punched it well forward.

While he gave it to the crowd a bit, have to admire Elliot. Absolutely clutch.

If injuries hadn’t plagued his career, he’d probably be considered in the same class as Toby Greene

2m14e2zp2r.jpg

So apparently we had a golden run from the umps - as per callers to Whateley and King, who has basically written us off and thinks it’s doubtful we even finish second.

Interesting - frees were almost even and at least a third of ours were from pretty blatant deliberate out of bounds calls. The goals to Evans and SPP could have been reversed by free kicks, but otherwise I didn’t think there was much in the umpiring. If that’s us getting the rub of the green, it’s extraordinary that no-one’s leapt to our defence the other 17 matches this year.

I do think it will be very tough from here. A win in the showdown is not negotiable. Terribly disappointed that Rioli will miss because he’s in terrific form at the moment.

Heard that too from King.....thought wtf the umpires had no impact at all! Also read a few Collingwood supporters say we had every conceivable advantage and still lost. I looked at it different, every little 50/50 landed their way, (ie farrels knocked out mark, Elliots mark mm inside) they kicked goals your not gonna see kicked too often and we squandered easy shots. We convert 1 or two shots and Elliot misses 1 and its a two/three goal win.

Also on the home ground advantage thing, we constantly cough up home games, something to do with the pressure of expectation? I'm not sure but the whole "home ground advantage" thing with us is a bit ignorant and overblown.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it’s called lack of feel for the game.
Farrell was intentional but at full speed, in slippery conditions it’s exceptionally hard to keep it in.

I don't necessarily disagree, but given some of the baffling Deliberates that had been called to that point, they had to pay that one. They had no choice. It would have looked like match fixing not to.

In the wet, they generally let a lot go. Yet in this game, they decided to pay more deliberates than they do even in dry weather games. Which is just crazy and not being spoken about anywhere near enough.

Outside the odd howler here and there (Marshall's throw, Butters being dragged off by Pendlebury), most of the stuff that was being let go was fairly standard for a wet weather game.

But the deliberate out of bounds calls were just insane imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back