Stenglein- How many weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

PAFC2004 said:
You can't compare this with tarrant. He is one of the afl's pretty boys. The head is a no go zone no matter where the player is. Stenglein was looking directly at him and turned his shoulder towards his head. He made no effort to avoid it.

the head is a no-go zone only in the fact it's deemed a high tackle/contact. it is NOT an automatic report. last week archer was suspended for one high contact deemed DELIBERATE and let off for one because he was going for the ball at the time. ACCIDENTAL. that is the difference.

snakebite01 said:
So some of you are saying it was upright and some are saying the only reason he hit him high was because he was falling over. :confused:

Which one is it?

upright or pretty close. i think that covers most bases. :)

PAFC2004 said:
Whether or not the player was standing makes no difference. Head high contact was made with no effort to avoid it. Simple as that. It wasn't a tackle, it was a pre-meditated bump.

bump being the operative word. it was not a strike or a charge.

where in the rules does is say you cant bump?

Dave said:
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=tribunalnews&spg=display&articleid=186251

Pickett received three points because his clash was deemed intentional, four more points because it was considered severe, one more for being in play and two points for catching Begley high.

Nice try porthos.
Interesting, I didn't realise they gave you a points grading for the incident for in-play anyway. Looking at the relevant PDF, I see its 1 point for in-play, and 2 points for behind-play. Weird.

So with Stenglein we have...

Reckless contact (2/3) points)
Medium impact (2/4 points) - this is generous compared to Pickett, but probably on the money
High contact (2/2 points)
In Play (1/2 points)

7 activation points, Grade 3 charge of Rough Conduct

Before deductions for guilty plea and/or good behaviour, thats 325 points.

but dont you have to be running? pretty much standing still or taking one step and then bumping is never a charge. A charge involves moving at speed

Porthos said:
Interesting, I didn't realise they gave you a points grading for the incident for in-play anyway. Looking at the relevant PDF, I see its 1 point for in-play, and 2 points for behind-play. Weird..

As long as there is distinction between in/not in play it deosn't really matter how they do it.

Reckless contact (2/3) points).

And that's what it all rests on. If the panel decides it was neither reckless nor negligent the rest don't matter. Not having seen it I wont comment on whether it should go or not.

Medium impact (2/4 points) - this is generous compared to Pickett, but probably on the money
High contact (2/2 points)
In Play (1/2 points)

7 activation points, Grade 3 charge of Rough Conduct

Before deductions for guilty plea and/or good behaviour, thats 325 points.

Which with the appropriate deductions for good behaviour and a guitly plea would see him get one week.

sedders said:
but dont you have to be running?

No.

pretty much standing still or taking one step and then bumping is never a charge. A charge involves moving at speed

No, a charge involves unreasonable contact.

1-2 (after guilty plea)

For an accidental but probably avoidable act (i think that works)

And ecks was one of the few that actually gives his all for the club :mad:

PAFC2004 said:
Whether or not the player was standing makes no difference.
Bzzztt.. wong answer... HUGE difference

PAFC2004 said:
Head high contact was made with no effort to avoid it..
Rubbish, Stenglein braced himself and the PA player ran into him, side on to Stenglein.

PAFC2004 said:
it was a pre-meditated bump.
Crap... see my explanation above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PAFC2004 said:
Whether or not the player was standing makes no difference. Head high contact was made with no effort to avoid it. Simple as that. It wasn't a tackle, it was a pre-meditated bump.

We can argue this back and forth all day and the fact that their is 16 pages of this thread show there are plenty of contrasting opinions.

My view does not change after your response here, I feel that standing or not standing does make a difference as I feel that it goes towards intent as a front on bump on a player bending over has a higher liklihood of causing contact to the head. I feel that bumping someone standing up causing accidental contact to the head is not a reportable offence.

However my opinion doesn't matter here it all comes down to what the match review committe thinks.

He's been offered two weeks for a Rough Contact (Grade Four), after deducting guilty plea and good behaviour.

Negligent (a bit weak)
Severe Impact (highest rank, same as Pickett - harsh)
Head High
In Play

Down from 425 points to 239.

Porthos said:
He's been offered two weeks for a Rough Contact (Grade Four), after deducting guilty plea and good behaviour.

Negligent (a bit weak)
Head High
In Play

Source?If this is true it's an absolute joke.

Porthos said:

Negligent (a bit weak)
Head High
In Play

I think that is spot on.

This is an absolute travesty. The fact that the tribunal now penalises for going hard at the man is an absolute disgrace. "Severe impact" it may have been but it was FAIR. The game is being turned into a joke. Players are going to be scared to throw their weight around as they will be penalised.

Absolute f*cking shame.

4 weeks starting point is a bit rough. I would have probably said 2 weeks graded down to 1 week.

It had to be done tho.

Although AFL is getting soft (which I don't agree with), something has to be done about players being knocked around the head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back