2nds SANFL FINALS QUALFICATION

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn’t the qualification criteria
1) More SANFL games than AFL

PLUS

2) At least 3 SANFL games after 30/6/22?

That means
  • Parnell needs to play 3 of the next 4 games in the SANFL (which I can’t see happening).
  • Cook can qualify if he doesn’t play more AFL than SANFL (likely)
  • Sholl and Soligo miss out if they play one more AFL. Probably both will miss out.
  • Himmelberg can’t play any more AFL (likely)
  • Gollant can only afford to play one more AFL (probably).

IMHO, the likely qualifiers will be
Borlase, Cook, Davis, Frampton, Gollant, Himmelberg, McAsey, McPherson, McPherson, Newchurch, Pedlar, Strachan, Taylor, Nankervis, Turner and Worrell.

Milera is also a chance but has to play 3 of the last 4 SANFL games.

I expect with injuries, illness etc we will have around 12-14 AFL listed players for the finals and we will get thumped😡.

Yes that is the correct rules.

As below

Currently 21 players qualified. Davis to qualify if he plays SANFL this week. Crouch will have to play the remaing matches in SANFL to qualify. Himmelberg needs 4 more SANFl games to qualify. Milera and Murray would need to play 3 more games in SANFL. I am assuming all of Pedlar, Davis, Frampton and Gollant will qualify. Maybe Cook

Possible Team 15 AND 7 Spread of AFL to top ups.

F HIMMELBERG MCASEY PEDLAR
HF WRIGHT GOLLANT NANKERVIS
C COOK TAYLOR NEWCHURCH
HB DAVIS WORRELL MCPHERSON
B SHARRAD BORLASE FRAMPTON
R STRACHAN BOYLE TURNER
I SMITHSON HALL CLAMP TEMPLETON

*NOT QUALIFIED YET BUT LIKELY TO
SANFL TOP UP PLAYERSAFL LISTED PLAYERSQUALIFIED AFLQUALFIED TOP UPSOnly 17 AFL allowed to play including Wright
PlayerGames PlayedPlayerAFL GamesSANFL GamesSANFLGames after June 30WRIGHTBOYLE
BOYLE15QBERRY152MCASEYCLAMP
CLAMP5QBORLASE0154TAYLORFREEMAN
FREEMAN4QBROWN1131NANKERVISHALL
HALL9QCOOK794WORRELLHUTCHENS
HUTCHENS3QCROUCH1063MCPHERSON - InjuredJOHNSON
JOHNSON2QDAVIS0133BORLASELEWIS
LEWIS6QFOGARTY115STRACHANMARSHMAN
MARSHMAN2QFRAMPTON694NEWCHURCHMCKENZIE
MCKENZIE7QGOLLANT884DAVIS*SHARRAD
SHARRAD11QHAMILL94GOLLANT*SMITHSON
SMITHSON5QHATELY85FRAMPTON*TEMPLETON
TEMPLETON6QHIMMELBERG962PEDLAR*
WRIGHT13QHINGE122HIMMELBERG*
JONES142
MCADAM102
MCASEY0134
MCPHERSON193
MILERA67
MURRAY96
NANKERVIS0134
NEWCHURCH0144
O'BRIEN121
PARNELL48
PEDLAR393
ROWE113
SCHOENBERG96
SHOLL1094
SOLIGO75
STRACHAN2144
TAYLOR0124
THILTHORPE54
WORRELL0143
MURPHY101
TURNER44

Last edited:
We will have to rely on the generosity of the SANFL to field a competitive team in the finals 🤫.

Definitely qualified are;
Borlase, Davis, McAsey, Nankervis, Newchurch, Pedlar, Strachan, Taylor, Worrell and Turner.

Cook, Frampton, Gollant and Sholl will probably qualify.

Milera, Himmelberg, Parnell and Thilthorpe will only qualify if they play the last three SANFL games and no more AFL games after this week. I expect only Himmelberg is a chance.

With injury and Covid, I expect only about 12 AFL listed players plus 9 top ups unless we are granted some exemptions.

Don’t like our chances.

We will have to rely on the generosity of the SANFL to field a competitive team in the finals 🤫.

Definitely qualified are;
Borlase, Davis, McAsey, Nankervis, Newchurch, Pedlar, Strachan, Taylor, Worrell and Turner.

Cook, Frampton, Gollant and Sholl will probably qualify.

Milera, Himmelberg, Parnell and Thilthorpe will only qualify if they play the last three SANFL games and no more AFL games after this week. I expect only Himmelberg is a chance.

With injury and Covid, I expect only about 12 AFL listed players plus 9 top ups unless we are granted some exemptions.

Don’t like our chances.

There's also the possibility Sholl and Worrell both request trades and do not play finals, à la Sam Jacobs.

Yes that is the correct rules.

As below

Currently 21 players qualified. Davis to qualify if he plays SANFL this week. Crouch will have to play the remaing matches in SANFL to qualify. Himmelberg needs 4 more SANFl games to qualify. Milera and Murray would need to play 3 more games in SANFL. I am assuming all of Pedlar, Davis, Frampton and Gollant will qualify. Maybe Cook

Possible Team 18 AND 4 Spread of AFL to top ups. So one too many AFL. Maybe Turner drops out for Hall.

F HIMMELBERG MCASEY PEDLAR
HF NEWCHURCH GOLLANT NANKERVIS
C COOK TAYLOR SHOLL
HB DAVIS WORRELL MCPHERSON
B SHARRAD BORLASE FRAMPTON
R STRACHAN BOYLE TURNER
I WRIGHT MCKENZIE CLAMP TEMPLETON

*NOT QUALIFIED YET BUT LIKELY TO
SANFL TOP UP PLAYERSAFL LISTED PLAYERSQUALIFIED AFLQUALFIED TOP UPSOnly 17 AFL allowed to play including Wright
PlayerGames PlayedPlayerAFL GamesSANFL GamesSANFLGames after June 30WRIGHTBOYLE
BOYLE15QBERRY132MCASEYCLAMP
CLAMP5QBORLASE0154TAYLORFREEMAN
FREEMAN4QBROWN1131NANKERVISHALL
HALL9QCOOK794WORRELLHUTCHENS
HUTCHENS3QCROUCH1063MCPHERSON - InjuredJOHNSON
JOHNSON2QDAVIS1122BORLASELEWIS
LEWIS6QFOGARTY115STRACHANMARSHMAN
MARSHMAN2QFRAMPTON694NEWCHURCHMCKENZIE
MCKENZIE7QGOLLANT884DAVIS*SHARRAD
SHARRAD11QHAMILL94GOLLANT*SMITHSON
SMITHSON5QHATELY85FRAMPTON*TEMPLETON
TEMPLETON6QHIMMELBERG962PEDLAR
WRIGHT13QHINGE122HIMMELBERG*
JONES142
MCADAM102
MCASEY0134
MCPHERSON193
MILERA67
MURRAY96
NANKERVIS0134
NEWCHURCH0144
O'BRIEN121
PARNELL48
PEDLAR393
ROWE113
SCHOENBERG96
SHOLL1184
SOLIGO75
STRACHAN2144
TAYLOR0124
THILTHORPE54
WORRELL0143
MURPHY101
TURNER44

Last edited:
AFLSANFLSANFL AFTER JUNE 30
CHAYCEJONES
18​
2​
BENKEAYS
20​
0​
FISCHERMCASEY
0​
15​
5​
QUALIFIED
LACHLANMURPHY
15​
1​
MATTCROUCH
11​
6​
3​
JACKSONHATELY
11​
4​
1​
RILEYTHILTHORPE
9​
5​
1​
JOSHRACHELE
13​
1​
1​
RORYSLOANE
4​
0​
LUKEPEDLAR
3​
10​
3​
QUALIFIED
PAULSEEDSMAN
0​
0​
JORDANDAWSON
20​
0​
TAYLORWALKER
16​
0​
JAKESOLIGO
14​
5​
BRAYDENCOOK
8​
9​
4​
ALMOST QUALIFIED
LUKEBROWN
11​
4​
WIIHAMILL
13​
4​
ZACTAYLOR
0​
12​
5​
QUALIFIED
MITCHHINGE
15​
2​
SAMBERRY
16​
2​
BILLYFRAMPTON
6​
10​
5​
QUALIFIED
SHANEMCADAM
14​
2​
JOSHWORRELL
2​
14​
3​
QUALIFIED
NEDMCHENRY
18​
0​
HARRYSCHOENBERG
14​
6​
LUKENANKERVIS
0​
14​
5​
QUALIFIED
NICKMURRAY
14​
6​
RORYLAIRD
18​
0​
WAYNEMILERA
11​
7​
JAMESROWE
15​
4​
2​
DARCYFOGARTY
15​
5​
BRODIESMITH
19​
0​
ELLIOTTHIMMELBERG
11​
8​
4​
ALMOST QUALIFIED
JAMESBORLASE
0​
16​
5​
QUALIFIED
ANDREWMCPHERSON
1​
7​
2​
PATRICKPARNELL
9​
8​
0​
LACHLANSHOLL
11​
8​
4​
TOMDOEDEE
18​
0​
BENDAVIS
3​
13​
3​
QUALIFIED
JORDANBUTTS
17​
0​
TARIEKNEWCHURCH
0​
16​
5​
QUALIFIED
REILLYO'BRIEN
18​
1​
LACHLANGOLLANT
7​
9​
4​
QUALIFIED
KIERANSTRACHAN
2​
15​
5​
QUALIFIED
BRETTTURNER
0​
5​
5​
QUALIFIED
MATTHEWWRIGHTSANFL SKIPPERQUALIFIED
TOP UP PLAYERS
JAY BOYLE
ISAAC MCKENZIE
LOUIS SHARRAD
JACK LEWIS
RILEY CLAMP
CHRIS HALL
HAYDEN KERNAHAN
BAILEY MARSHMAN
JACOB TEMPLETON
JOSH SMITHSON
MITCHELL JOHNSON

Possible Team 14 AND 8
F WRIGHT MACASEY GOLLANT
HF PEDLAR WORRELL NANKERVIS
C COOK TAYLOR NEWCHURCH
HB DAVIS FRAMPTON HALL
B MCKENZIE BORLASE SHARRAD
RUCK STRACHAN TURNER BOYLE
INTER TEMPLETON CLAMP LEWIS JOHNSON

Last edited:
Interesting in commentary yesterday saying that if Glenelg make the finals (which you think they would) then they can request Turner play for them.

What happens if he does, they lose the first week and bow out, but Adelaide play on? Can Turner then play for AFC?

You would have to expect we approach the SANFL for leniency to allow a few extra of our young players to qualify. Otherwise we, a top 2 team in the comp, will be flogged and drop out in straight sets. It would make the SANFL look silly

You would have to expect we approach the SANFL for leniency to allow a few extra of our young players to qualify. Otherwise we, a top 2 team in the comp, will be flogged and drop out in straight sets. It would make the SANFL look silly

That's the whole point of these rules.

Still no Cook or Gollant in the AFL this week. Have they decided they want both for SANFL finals?

If this is the case, I gotta say I'm surprised. I thought the club would have zero interest in winning an SANFL flag.

Personally, I would find an SANFL flag embarrassing.

That depends on how for me. If we dropped Tex/Laird/Dawson to into the twos to win it - absolutely embarassing.

Do it primarily with kids on the fringe? Not so much. There isn't a genuine difference between pro/semi-pro at that point, seeing clubs are full of ex-AFL footballers.

That depends on how for me. If we dropped Tex/Laird/Dawson to into the twos to win it - absolutely embarassing.

Do it primarily with kids on the fringe? Not so much. There isn't a genuine difference between pro/semi-pro at that point, seeing clubs are full of ex-AFL footballers.

Isn't the salary cap for SANFL teams 200k?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't the salary cap for SANFL teams 200k?

Sure, but for the vast majority of cases for an AFL side, what is that extra cap space getting them outside of a bunch of magic beans? On top of top-ups being wildly fluctuating in terms of quality.

It's not like Adelaide is sitting there and buying themselves a SANFL premiership (and Port are having a more typical 2nds season, seeing both sides have tended to be bottom 4 clubs in most years). More just a happy accident if it occurs, and some reinforcement the very recent drafting has been solid (or terrible depending on the age profile).

That's the whole point of these rules.
I disagree. The rules, in their current form, are designed to be just harsh enough to stifle our chances of a flag. They’re not meant to make us completely and utterly uncompetitive. Which is exactly what we will be, if we run out there with only 12 or 13 afl listed players rather than the max of 17

Possible Finals Team Team 14 AND 8
F WRIGHT MCASEY GOLLANT
HF PEDLAR WORRELL NANKERVIS
C COOK TAYLOR NEWCHURCH
HB DAVIS FRAMPTON HALL
B MCKENZIE BORLASE SHARRAD
RUCK STRACHAN TURNER BOYLE
INTER TEMPLETON CLAMP LEWIS JOHNSON

AFLSANFLGAMES AFTER JUNE 30
CHAYCEJONES182
BENKEAYS200
FISCHERMCASEY0166QUALIFIED
LACHLANMURPHY151
MATTCROUCH1174
JACKSONHATELY1152
RILEYTHILTHORPE951
JOSHRACHELE1311
RORYSLOANE40
LUKEPEDLAR3114QUALIFIED
PAULSEEDSMAN00
JORDANDAWSON200
TAYLORWALKER160
JAKESOLIGO145
BRAYDENCOOK8105QUALIFIED
LUKEBROWN114
WIIHAMILL134
ZACTAYLOR0136QUALIFIED
MITCHHINGE152
SAMBERRY162
BILLYFRAMPTON6116QUALIFIED
SHANEMCADAM142
JOSHWORRELL2143QUALIFIED
NEDMCHENRY180
HARRYSCHOENBERG146
LUKENANKERVIS0156QUALIFIED
NICKMURRAY146
RORYLAIRD180
WAYNEMILERA117
JAMESROWE1553
DARCYFOGARTY155
BRODIESMITH190
ELLIOTTHIMMELBERG1195SHOULD GET PERMIT
JAMESBORLASE0176QUALIFIED
ANDREWMCPHERSON172
PATRICKPARNELL980
LACHLANSHOLL1195SHOULD GET PERMIT
TOMDOEDEE180
BENDAVIS3144QUALIFIED
JORDANBUTTS170
TARIEKNEWCHURCH0176QUALIFIED
REILLYO'BRIEN181
LACHLANGOLLANT7105QUALIFIED
KIERANSTRACHAN2166QUALIFIED
BRETTTURNER066QUALIFIED
MATTHEWWRIGHTSANFL SKIPPERQUALIFIED
TOP UP PLAYERS
JAY BOYLE
ISAAC MCKENZIE
LOUIS SHARRAD
JACK LEWIS
RILEY CLAMP
CHRIS HALL
HAYDEN KERNAHAN
BAILEY MARSHMAN
JACOB TEMPLETON
JOSH SMITHSON
MITCHELL JOHNSON

Unless the SANFL show some leniency we will have (at best)
13 AFL listed players.
  • Five players (Borlase, Taylor, Nankervis, Newchurch and Turner) have never played AFL.
  • Six players have played 1-10 AFL games (Davis, Worrell, Strachan Pedlar, Gollant and McAsey
  • The “experienced” AFL players are Frampton (24 AFL games) and Cook (11).

Then there’s the top ups. Matty Wright is an experienced ex-AFL player and Jay Boyle has played 39 SANFL games. The rest of our top ups are unwanted SANFL players or guys from the ammo’s or country league. Take Mitch Johnson for example. An excellent young lad from the Southern Footy League with good skills and plenty of courage. There is however a big gap between playing the Cockledivers at Pt Noarlunga and Norwood in a final at Adelaide Oval.

It is going to be really, really tough for our Kids in the finals.

Last edited:
So going by crows dude’s post, our KPP’s, wings, and forward line will be pretty well covered by our qualified/likely to qualify players. Our backline and midfield will be an issue. Davis and Wright (if they play him back) are our only small/medium defenders. Crouch and Hately not qualifying will hurt the most. That leaves only Turner and Taylor as inside mids

So going by crows dude’s post, our KPP’s, wings, and forward line will be pretty well covered by our qualified/likely to qualify players. Our backline and midfield will be an issue. Davis and Wright (if they play him back) are our only small/medium defenders. Crouch and Hately not qualifying will hurt the most. That leaves only Turner and Taylor as inside mids
Yep inside mid an issue

F Gollant McAsey Nankervis
HF Pedlar Himmelberg Newchurch
C Cook Taylor Sholl
HB Davis Frampton Worrell
B Sharrad Borlase Wright
R Strachan Boyle Turner
I McKenzie, Templeton, Clamp, Lewis

Correct. The worst thing for the SANFL would the an AFL team wiping every other team in the SANFL finals. They would HATE it.
But see, I used to live in Sydney, and had some mates who were Sydney top up players (The Swans top up players came from the state u18s team)
They competed in the AFL Canberra league for 8 years and only made 4 grand finals (17, 33, 29 and 1pt wins) And the standard in Canberra isn't as good as the standard in South Australia.

When Brisbane was in the QAFL (over 10 years) they only made (and won) 1 Grand Final

Then when these 2 leagues merged (and gained Gold Coast/GWS) for the NEAFL

Across 9 years, 5 were won by AFl sides (4 by Brisbane, 1 by GWS) with 5 runners up (All Sydney)

I know Adelaide Football League clubs who do pre-season friendlies with the powerhouses of Sydney AFL (Which in the NEAFL days played there) and they're competitive against each other.

For the better part of 20 years, you only had to look at Qld/NSW and see that they could only manage 10 premierships at an Adelaide Football League level. And considering the AdFL is no where near the level of the SANFL.....

The SANFL clubs really ran a good campaign to make people afraid of the AFL teams in the SANFL.
But Glenelg, Norwood, North Adelaide etc. are more of a challange than Aspley, Queanbeyan, Morningside etc.
So even if they didn't hinder the AFL teams as they did, I do doubt whether it would've made much of a difference.

Yep inside mid an issue

F Gollant McAsey Nankervis
HF Pedlar Himmelberg Newchurch
C Cook Taylor Sholl
HB Davis Frampton Worrell
B Sharrad Borlase Wright
R Strachan Boyle Turner
I McKenzie, Templeton, Clamp, Lewis
Himmelberg has played 11AFL and 8 SANFL so he can’t qualify even if he plays the last two SANFL games??

Perhaps the SANFL should leave the final decision to a panel from the AFC Bigfooty Board. I am confident that the consensus would be that Berg is not an AFL footballer 🤔.

Himmelberg has played 11AFL and 8 SANFL so he can’t qualify even if he plays the last two SANFL games??

Perhaps the SANFL should leave the final decision to a panel from the AFC Bigfooty Board. I am confident that the consensus would be that Berg is not an AFL footballer 🤔.
Im sure if he plays 10 SANFL and 11 AFL they will give him a permit. Same with Sholl

Remove this Banner Ad

Back