Preview Round 15 - Port Adelaide v Brisbane Lions, Adelaide Oval, Saturday 1:45 pm real time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I do worry Reville isnt quite fit enough yet. I dont think he is getting up and back the ground quite enough especially in defensive coverage. Something Im wondering we're missing with Berry more inside.

Its definitely a challenge getting the offensive and defensive balance on the wings right. Im not sure we have a perfect setup yet.

Suspect we'll have the perfect setup next week when Ashcroft returns.

Fages mentioned in his interview on SEN last weekend that Ashcroft could play a game in the VFL before returning to the seniors... personally I don't see it, think he comes straight back in.

IMO he will find near to his best form pretty quickly(3-4 games), very professional kid, would have left no stone unturned in his recovery, physically and mentally, Will will be ready.

Fages mentioned in his interview on SEN last weekend that Ashcroft could play a game in the VFL before returning to the seniors... personally I don't see it, think he comes straight back in.

IMO he will find near to his best form pretty quickly(3-4 games), very professional kid, would have left no stone unturned in his recovery, physically and mentally, Will will be ready.
I wonder if he starts as or gets subbed out the first couple of games and we slowly build his minutes that way.

I also wonder whether he’ll spend a bit more time on the wing to finish the year, mainly to avoid some of those heavier collisions playing inside to start with, especially with Berry playing so well inside now too.

You don't drive a Ferrari on a dirt track

He's been ready already. Some clubs would've played him Round 10 or 11. But after Doedee we're probably a bit spooked and are making ultra sure.

The issue with Harry is that sure he's the best runner on the list but he really struggles to break tackles and his disposal is ordinary.

Reville's a lot better imo.

I'm also a fan of McKenna but I can see he's under pressure to hold his spot in his present form. I really don't think he's too far away from getting it back.

As I've said before, our wingers aren't used very much as wingers, the coaches play them as an extra defender or forward depending on who is playing there. This was taken advantage of by Collywobble in the grand final with their wingers, as they play proper wingers.

For some reason we just don't value the winger position that much and, because they don't get the ball as much, we don't see a Sharp, Bags or Berry get the ball as much, and when they do get the ball, it's under pressure and looks average/bad.

That being said, Sharp plays as a more defensive winger, whereas Berry was playing as an attacking (when they were in the same team/position). When I look at both Reville and Sharp on the ground live, Sharp seems much better defensively than Reville. Reville at times looks completely gassed and I don't think he has the tank yet to play out full games.

As I've said before, our wingers aren't used very much as wingers, the coaches play them as an extra defender or forward depending on who is playing there. This was taken advantage of by Collywobble in the grand final with their wingers, as they play proper wingers.

For some reason we just don't value the winger position that much and, because they don't get the ball as much, we don't see a Sharp, Bags or Berry get the ball as much, and when they do get the ball, it's under pressure and looks average/bad.

That being said, Sharp plays as a more defensive winger, whereas Berry was playing as an attacking (when they were in the same team/position). When I look at both Reville and Sharp on the ground live, Sharp seems much better defensively than Reville. Reville at times looks completely gassed and I don't think he has the tank yet to play out full games.
I still much prefer Reville’s ball use over Harry Sharp, he is so much cleaner, not rushed and doesn’t panic like Sharpy.
Sharp may get back in defence quicker, but also creates more opportunity for other teams due to his suspect ball use.

I wonder if he starts as or gets subbed out the first couple of games and we slowly build his minutes that way.

I also wonder whether he’ll spend a bit more time on the wing to finish the year, mainly to avoid some of those heavier collisions playing inside to start with, especially with Berry playing so well inside now too.
Yep, it would be madness to move Jarrod Berry from the role he has been playing the last 5-6 games, in career best form, leave him where he is.

Rotate Fletcher, Reville, McCluggage and Ashcroft through the wings.

Totaly agree, and am a bit dissapointed tbh with some of the decisions made.
Well time will tell, I'm thinking Sharp will come back in for this game hopefully, if not I will be pissed if our workrate and run falls down again or our lack of two way running is poor.
Trouble is Sharp comes in has a medioce game and he's out , hell even if he plays well he's out.
Sorry for having a real bitch , but that's how I see it .
What is it can't see the trees for the forest. That must be me.
Is Sharp really that bad with turnover , I think it's fair to say when our workrate to offer and present the shorter option around the ground we look like the goods.
Same as all teams.
Unfortunately we turn to crap when that stops, like all teams.
Sometimes it looks like we just need another player that can run and do these things.
Anyway broken record.
Hope the boys whoever that may be play like it is our grand final and keep the intensity up.

I'm guessing it's a good luck kind of thing before every Port away game? Surely we're not bothered by the crowd this far into our premiership window? 🥵

Sh!t. Sando's tipped us 🤦🤦🤦

Back to square 1.

angry magic the gathering GIF

I still much prefer Reville’s ball use over Harry Sharp, he is so much cleaner, not rushed and doesn’t panic like Sharpy.
Sharp may get back in defence quicker, but also creates more opportunity for other teams due to his suspect ball use.

Addressed why our wingers seem to have bad disposals in the post you quoted. When I watch the game in the stadium, I notice that our wingers seem to get put in tough spots when they do have the ball. Seems to be a coaching decision to play wingers as another forward or back and only give them the ball in the middle if you have to.

Watch Sharp over a run of games at AFL level and, although he doesn't get a lot of the ball, he'll produce some good disposal. He did so in the Gold Coast game a couple of times where he gave the ball to Reville to then use the ball.

Totaly agree, and am a bit dissapointed tbh with some of the decisions made.
Well time will tell, I'm thinking Sharp will come back in for this game hopefully, if not I will be pissed if our workrate and run falls down again or our lack of two way running is poor.
Trouble is Sharp comes in has a medioce game and he's out , hell even if he plays well he's out.
Sorry for having a real bitch , but that's how I see it .
What is it can't see the trees for the forest. That must be me.
Is Sharp really that bad with turnover , I think it's fair to say when our workrate to offer and present the shorter option around the ground we look like the goods.
Same as all teams.
Unfortunately we turn to crap when that stops, like all teams.
Sometimes it looks like we just need another player that can run and do these things.
Anyway broken record.
Hope the boys whoever that may be play like it is our grand final and keep the intensity up.

Not going over the coaches inability to play players in a set position for an extended run, as it's been done to death, but players like Sharp, Rayner, Bailey and Ah Chee need to be in a set position for a run of 5-6 games if you want them to perform. Can't keep switching them around (Rayner/Bailey/Ah Chee) or dropping them after one bad game.

As for third/fourth quarters, opposition teams know that if they force us to run for the first half, we will be gassed in the end. It's not going to hurt our performance by adding in a player like Berry who can run all day.

I don't think we will beat Port at Adelaide oval, but stranger things have happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Addressed why our wingers seem to have bad disposals in the post you quoted. When I watch the game in the stadium, I notice that our wingers seem to get put in tough spots when they do have the ball. Seems to be a coaching decision to play wingers as another forward or back and only give them the ball in the middle if you have to.

Watch Sharp over a run of games at AFL level and, although he doesn't get a lot of the ball, he'll produce some good disposal. He did so in the Gold Coast game a couple of times where he gave the ball to Reville to then use the ball.
Not saying he can’t use the ball, just not consistently well enough for AFL level imo when comparing to others.
From memory in the games he has played this year he has punched one or 2 out on the full as well. Which is as good as a turnover.

McKenna is the one outlier in our team at the moment who is consistently turning the ball over.

A bit concerning that the coaching staff don't seem to have adapted to that and used the wings more, since it proved to be our Achilles heel in the most important game we played in 19 years.

If we're on there is no reason why we can't beat them - their season has been far from impressive, with their home record pretty meh really.

R1 they knock off WCE (we know what they were like) by 50pts at home.
R2 they knock off Richmond (we know what they were like) by 30 at the G.
R3 they let the Demons, who are average at best (let's be honest), in for a 7pt win at home.
R4 they smash Essendon (a fake top 8 side) at home.
R5 they hold on to defeat Fremantle by 3pts at home.

R6 they return to the G and Collingwood handle them quite easily.
R7 they defeat SaintsFooty by 10pt at home.
R8 and it's the Crows who salute by 30pts (Port kicking 5.18).

R9 and they knock off Geelong down at the Cattery.
R10 and they beat Hawks by just the solitary point at home.
R11 they smash Norf, who were horrendous at that point in time, at Marvel.
R12 and the Blews knock them off at home.
R14 and they never really threaten GWS who kick 9.19 (Port kicking 6.15) at Giants Stadium.

A bit concerning that the coaching staff don't seem to have adapted to that and used the wings more, since it proved to be our Achilles heel in the most important game we played in 19 years.

I guess it's hard to find good wingers. Not everyone can be a Hill or Hunt, but the coaches seem completely disinterested in genuine wingers. Even when we've played into the wing in the past five years, it was Robbo kicking (launching) the ball into the 50.

Out of our list, you've got Berry, Sharp, Bags, Fletcher and Reville who can genuinely play wing. Three of those players are either in the midfield or seem destined for it. Reville and Sharp are the only two who will likely stay on the wing for the rest of their career. All others who play there are just mids, or forwards we play there to flood either half depending on ball movement.

Hopefully next season with Ashcroft(s) back, the balance in the middle changes a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back