Review Round 15, 2024 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Went for a stroll over to the Port review thread ... apparently all will be well if they sack Ken, sack half their players, sack their board, burn down Alberton and stop clapping the team when they kick a goal or leave the ground ... so pretty much like last time I visited! šŸ˜Ž

Went for a stroll over to the Port review thread ... apparently all will be well if they sack Ken, sack half their players, sack their board, burn down Alberton and stop clapping the team when they kick a goal or leave the ground ... so pretty much like last time I visited! šŸ˜Ž

Was surprised at how angry they were at Fagan after he made the comments about Hinkley being booed

Big O is why you keep the faith and back Fages. A lot of people were calling for him to be dropped (which was insane to me). Kept the faith and he has turned it around.
Even though arguably Big O was not playing that well a month or two ago (like other players, might have been injured), there was no real alternative IMO, other than Fort, who did not perform that well when given a few games. Morris and Lohmann were only given opportunities because of injuries to senior players, despite a number of BF posters pushing their inclusion earlier in the year. Considering their ages and inexperience, both lads have contributed, and I now have them as permanent best 22 for this year and beyond.

Fages deserves to see out his contract next year, but unless we make as a minimum the Prelim:, I would not be against a change of head coach for 2026, I think over his tenure he has been too loyal to some of the senior players.

Even though arguably Big O was not playing that well a month or two ago (like other players, might have been injured), there was no real alternative IMO, other than Fort, who did not perform that well when given a few games. Morris and Lohmann were only given opportunities because of injuries to senior players, despite a number of BF posters pushing their inclusion earlier in the year. Considering their ages and inexperience, both lads have contributed, and I now have them as permanent best 22 for this year and beyond.

Fages deserves to see out his contract next year, but unless we make as a minimum the Prelim:, I would not be against a change of head coach for 2026, I think over his tenure he has been too loyal to some of the senior players.

Heā€™s backed in and implemented a coaching ethos centred around loyalty and continuous improvement which has delivered results over his entire tenure. He can go on for as long as he wants with this list as far as Iā€™m concerned.

As Leigh Matthews says, you donā€™t get improvement from players who are out of form and struggling with confidence by dropping them. You get them going by relieving that pressure and assuring them of their position in the team while they work to improve their deficiencies.

Didnā€™t see Ken and the Port players hang around to clap off Harris.Pretty disgusting.

Wouldn't surprise me if they left the field so the crowd didn't boo as Harris got his walk off.

Didnā€™t see Ken and the Port players hang around to clap off Harris.Pretty disgusting.

200 games is a great achievement, but not a monumental milestone, IMO. After that effort Port did not deserve to be there.

300 is a different kettle of fish.

200 games is a great achievement, but not a monumental milestone, IMO. After that effort Port did not deserve to be there.

300 is a different kettle of fish.
Agreed which is why I agreed with Kane Cornes as to why Adelaide gave Gunston a guard of honour for 250 and no less than technically four change of clubs. 300 games and upwards is when guard of honours should be observed or even a retirement of a great of a game.

Heā€™s backed in and implemented a coaching ethos centred around loyalty and continuous improvement which has delivered results over his entire tenure. He can go on for as long as he wants with this list as far as Iā€™m concerned.

As Leigh Matthews says, you donā€™t get improvement from players who are out of form and struggling with confidence by dropping them. You get them going by relieving that pressure and assuring them of their position in the team while they work to improve their deficiencies.
Ken Hinkley has made two Prelims with Port in about 10 seasons, and currently they are ahead of us on the ladder and there is plenty of discourse it might be time for Ken to move on. End of 2025 will be 9 or 10 years for Fages, so it might be time to look for a change, if we don't win a flag. Not saying i disagree with the great man (Matthews), but I watched First Crack last night (Daivd King absent) and the issue was raised about coaches giving young players more of an opportunity and both panelist (each with over 200 AFL games) agreed. Lets wait for this season to finish, but as I stated, I am not against a change for 2026.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This gave me real South Park vibes

Kenny's W/L record is outstanding , eclipsing some of the accepted greats of coaching such as Sheedy ,Parkin,Matthews and others.

Maybe the reason he hasn't won a flag is that he overachieved through the seasons with what he had . I always thought that.

But once you've been there for 12 years and things turn a bit sour your goose is cooked.

The fact that he got booed off the ground says everything about their supporters and not him.

The answer for them is to look at their list , a change in coach whilst inevitable isn't going to change a lot without some restructuring of their playing list.

Kenny's W/L record is outstanding , eclipsing some of the accepted greats of coaching such as Sheedy ,Parkin,Matthews and others.

Maybe the reason he hasn't won a flag is that he overachieved through the seasons with what he had . I always thought that.

But once you've been there for 12 years and things turn a bit sour your goose is cooked.

The fact that he got booed off the ground says everything about their supporters and not him.

The answer for them is to look at their list , a change in coach whilst inevitable isn't going to change a lot without some restructuring of their playing list.

Pepsi Max jokes aside, I reckon Kenny is a good man and has more than a few ideas about coaching.

His biggest problem in coaching Port is that their self entitled feral supporters always overrate their list and underrate their coach, especially if he not Port "royalty". It goes back to their domination of the SANFL for 140 or so years which they think should automatically translate to AFL Premierships every other year

He has a contract to the end of 2025.

If they do the dirty on him, I hope he plays hardball and demands as much as a payout as he is entitled to.

Pepsi Max jokes aside, I reckon Kenny is a good man and has more than a few ideas about coaching.

His biggest problem in coaching Port is that their self entitled feral supporters always overrate their list and underrate their coach, especially if he not Port "royalty". It goes back to their domination of the SANFL for 140 or so years which they think should automatically translate to AFL Premierships every other year

He has a contract to the end of 2025.

If they do the dirty on him, I hope he plays hardball and demands as much as a payout as he is entitled to.
They seemed to play with plenty of passion most times I've watched them and the inside word is some of their guys were crook on the weekend.

They haven't made that excuse publicly.

They seemed to play with plenty of passion most times I've watched them and the inside word is some of their guys were crook on the weekend.

They haven't made that excuse publicly.
I think Ken in his press conference said none of the guys who were crook played on Saturday. But who knows really tho šŸ¤·

15th on the all time list says that he can coach and as you said ahead of some of the games greats. This is from 360 tonight

image.jpg

Only injury gave Logan and Kai a game, otherwise, they would still be in the VFL

I think the Gardiner experiment was about to end when he was injured and it would have been a toss up between Kai and Logan for a replacement IMO. It is true that if we had a perfect bill of health and Linc hadn't been injured one of them would still be in the VFL.

I think the Gardiner experiment was about to end when he was injured and it would have been a toss up between Kai and Logan for a replacement IMO. It is true that if we had a perfect bill of health and Linc hadn't been injured one of them would still be in the VFL.

I think it would be Ah Chee in the 2s or on the wing

Back