Preview Round 15 - Port Adelaide v Brisbane Lions, Adelaide Oval, Saturday 1:45 pm real time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how to feel about this year. The hawthorn loss was for me the final nail in the coffin for our season this year and while the Bulldogs game was excellent, the saints win wasn't anywhere near that level.

If we can manage to beat Port playing somewhere near their best it might really boost the confidence of the club and the supporters

If we beat Port I expect you to make a lids off post.

Not sure how to feel about this year. The hawthorn loss was for me the final nail in the coffin for our season this year and while the Bulldogs game was excellent, the saints win wasn't anywhere near that level.

If we can manage to beat Port playing somewhere near their best it might really boost the confidence of the club and the supporters
I'm really skeptical of our capacity to string a few wins together this year. Overall it has to be said that we seem to lack the drive and commitment Premiership level teams have. Far too many spasmodic performances so far.

I guess we all believe we have it in us to beat anybody, it's just our determination to consistently perform around that level.

Obviously this week is a good test to see whether we might have our mojo back. They'll be no pushover with the shelllacking they've copped but we beat them if we perform around the level we can.

I'm really skeptical of our capacity to string a few wins together this year. Overall it has to be said that we seem to lack the drive and commitment Premiership level teams have. Far too many spasmodic performances so far.

I guess we all believe we have it in us to beat anybody, it's just our determination to consistently perform around that level.

Obviously this week is a good test to see whether we might have our mojo back. They'll be no pushover with the shelllacking they've copped but we beat them if we perform around the level we can.

Depends how you view the hawthorn game. It was pre bye against a bodies team that has been playing good footy.

Was a very frustrating loss especially when you consider how well we played 2 weeks later against the Bulldogs.

Depends how you view the hawthorn game. It was pre bye against a bodies team that has been playing good footy.

Was a very frustrating loss especially when you consider how well we played 2 weeks later against the Bulldogs.
Yes it was very frustrating but I'd say the Hawthorn loss doesn't look as bad now considering what they have done since.

Champion Data today, the Lions over the last 6 weeks.

Number 1 offensively.:D

3rd worst defensively.:eek:
But recently we have got the offensive side of the game going but the defence has fallen apart.
It’s very common imo.
We can’t seem to balance/sustain a good offence and defence at the same time.

I’m not confident like I was last year about our chances most weeks. Even at home. It’s just one of those years where it looks like we will be up and down with results much like the rest of the comp apart from Sydney.

We have definitely come back to the pack and I think a little has to do with key injuries but I also don’t think we had a great off season. Our second half performance/ drop offs in games early in the season probably showed we weren’t fit enough and that has only started to rectify in the last 6 weeks or so.

Against St Kilda we defended really poorly which has me worried for our chances at finals. St Kilda struggles to score over 60 points every week however against us they looked like scoring with ease and left a few on the table. The big positive is we have been getting our efficiency up going forward.

And what’s helped recently is that younger players have been given a crack and they are pressuring others to lift their game.

Further to the above, I reckon we have got to work on our defence this week after the saints got a hold of us on the weekend.
So I am expecting a much better defensive effort with a reasonably low scoring game.

Agreed because we're only number 1 scoring because we have kicked straight. No confidence that'll continue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is pretty much exactly where I'm at.
Before the Saints game, I said that while I thought we would win, I wasn't getting carried away after one win against the Bulldogs (remember the world was ending after Hawks)
Really, any sort of outcome against the Saints was unlikely to change that, so still a wait and see but especially after another inconsistent performance.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if we won well, I wouldn't be surprised if we were well beaten.

I know the joke is really only funny to me, but I have very much enjoyed writing two previews in the style of David king rhetorical questions.

What is our brand? Who is going to stand up and say ‘hey, come with me boys’????
King's a loser and a clown... Too bad.
GREAT PREVIEW BY THE WAY.

Answerth out 🙁 Brain in 🙂

I'd like to drop McKenna also but I wonder if it is too early for Beecken?

I'd almost drop him for Sharp as well. It's a long ground Adelaide Oval. Do some fancy magnet moving to open up a wing spot for Harry. Can Bruce or Fletch play half back?

If we are serious about finals, we need McKenna playing well. We also don't have the luxury of dropping games and my concern is we are at the tipping point of inexperience. If you bring Brain in for Answerth and then we have Will back next week off an ACL, I don't think we can be playing too much more inexperience in the side unless it was compelling.

I feel like teams have been scoring a lot through their small forwards for a while now. So Im wondering if we have got the small defender balance right?

We have been running the last few weeks with something like this:
  • Starc as the lockdown small
  • Zorko as the kicking distributer
  • Wilmot running distributer
  • McKenna as a mix running/kicking.

• Answerth sub - but more often lockdown when on field
On balance is that too much attack and would be better off with more defensive work for small backs?

Or has the problem come from up the field? With Berry moving inside he has been a massive success on the tagging roles. But have we robbed Peter to pay Paul - are we missing his defensive running on the wing leading to outnumbers out the back? I'm not sure the Fletcher/Reville/McCluggage combo have been working back into coverage as much as Berry was

The issue with Harry is that sure he's the best runner on the list but he really struggles to break tackles and his disposal is ordinary.

Reville's a lot better imo.

I'm also a fan of McKenna but I can see he's under pressure to hold his spot in his present form. I really don't think he's too far away from getting it back.

The issue with Harry is that sure he's the best runner on the list but he really struggles to break tackles and his disposal is ordinary.

I'm also a fan of McKenna but I can see he's under pressure to hold his spot in his present form. I really don't think he's too far away from getting it back.
Yep I agree. He's been the clanger king the last cpl of weeks. All he has to do is tidy up his kicking. It's not like he's been out of position, missing tackles, showing poor attitude. Fages said he wants the team to take the game on, play positive etc, McKenna won't and nor should he be dropped for doing so. He'll get his touch back with his kicking sooner rather than later.

Hey I just noticed I think the start time in the thread title is wrong. It's a 1:45 AEST start time as far as I know, so 1:15 Adelaide time.

We would not want Dalions to miss the opening bounce!
View attachment 2024334
Interesting, when I googled it it definitely specified ACST next to 1:45 pm so I adjusted appropriately. Oops.

But I do worry Reville isnt quite fit enough yet. I dont think he is getting up and back the ground quite enough especially in defensive coverage. Something Im wondering we're missing with Berry more inside.

Its definitely a challenge getting the offensive and defensive balance on the wings right. Im not sure we have a perfect setup yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back