Preview Adelaide Crows v Brisbane Lions, Round 9, Sunday 12 May 2024 4pm @ Adelaide Oval - The Mother's Day Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1715144916088.png
The injury season continues but weirdly created one of the more inspiring games of the year. Losing players left right and before the game meant we had to pull everything out and massively led by out senior leaders knocking off the always inconsistent Suns and bring winning back to the Gabba. We also got the amazing double game, maccas eating, wrong shoes debut from Logan Morris to show signs of what the future may bring.

Adelaide did us all a favour and smacked around Port in an impressive Showdown. Rebounding the ball and using pace to drive it forward to Tex and an exciting bunch of small forwards was a great tribute to a retiring Rory Sloane, one the nicer guys in football. A stand alone game was great watching for anyone who doesnt like Port.

However Adelaide have probably been one of the more disappointing sides this year. They seemed to be primed to start rebounding up the ladder but a aging Tex and a fairly one paced midfield mix has held them back at times this year. Something changed in the showdown to show that they can run and rebound in a way that spells danger to me. The game style of intercepting the ball and running it the length of the ground for a fast goal is exactly the game style that has troubled us recently. Either we need to get a lot more accurate at scoring goals when we get it forward, or we need to make sure we are ready to run again. We are going to need a lot of hard running to

The damage:
1715145317276.png
Two more ACLs to McCarthy and Gardiner throws some chaos into the forward line. While the concussion to Answerth and a calf strain does similar to the backline. 4-5 ACLs in a short period of time starts to ask some questions about the Gabba or an injury curse. Hopefully its just a fluke statistical anomaly.

The Replacements:
Gardiner > Morris. After a great debut in tough circumstances Morris showed why many have been calling out for his inclusion. He offers something different to Daniher and Hipwood and should be better with fresher legs and the right boots on. Other options would be Smith, Fort or another small forward but I think Morris is the likely winner.

McCarthy > Ah Chee. We dont really have a lot of other small forward options right now but Ah Chee has done well in the past as a more defensive forward. Can play a variety of roles around the ground if we need other holes filled. Other options include Tunstill or another mid.

Starcevich > Brain or Prior. This is where things start to get tricky or need some shuffling around. Brain seems to have been the best rebounding back but we might need to shuffle someone to lockdown on Rankine and Rachelle. Wilmot and McKenna might have to play tighter with Zorko and maybe Fletcher rebounding more. Prior has more AFL level exposure and probably can defend a bit better.

Answerth > Sharp on field and then either Tunstill, Prior or Lyons (I really hope not) into Sub. Sharp played a impressive game and his extra running power on the wing looks exactly what we need in the team at the moment. Again this forces Fletcher or someone else back onto the HBF and a bit of a shuffle around. Tunstill has done plenty of sub games this year while personally I like Priors ability to play more roles.

Hopefully we have no other required changes as the replacement options are starting to get a little thin.

The Game:
As above after such a tough game on the week I am very glad we have a full rest to recover. Travelling for another interstate game is going to be stress tired bodies. Hopefully the youth injection will provide the energy and spark that we need to keep rebounding our season back up the ladder. If we play like we did last week or against Melbourne I think we should be able to win by about 3 goals (just need to kick straight.

Mother's day:
Dont forget to wish your Mother's and partners Happy Mothers Day and get them something nice for being awesome people.

Not confident we win at all with all the injuries but more confident ironically because the injuries have forced some exciting change. Hoping Sharp and Lohmann build on those amazing games from Sunday.

I am excited to see how the newbies, whoever they end up being, go. I think the inherent enthusiasm will be infectious.

I hope you didn't have too much of that pre written before Sundays game or you and the editting team would have had to get moving!

Going into this game personally feeling like a weight has been lifted... we have wanted change and it has come, we wanted pressure and determination from the guys and saw some ... excited about the game and going forward!!!

When asked about who could come into the side on SEN, Danny Daly mentioned (in order) Prior, Brain and Ah Chee. Seeing as it looks like only one of Prior or Brain is likely to come in (per the preview, thanks for writing KissKiss ), I wonder if mentioning Prior first means he'll be the first choice to come into the side.

When asked about who could come into the side on SEN, Danny Daly mentioned (in order) Prior, Brain and Ah Chee. Seeing as it looks like only one of Prior or Brain is likely to come in (per the preview, thanks for writing KissKiss ), I wonder if mentioning Prior first means he'll be the first choice to come into the side.
He didn’t mention Lyons at all?

Nope. Although I listed to it again and he specifically said Brain will "be in line for selection".

08:45 in this clip

Question for those far more knowledgeable about ACL's than I... All these injuries all seem quite innocuous, freak accidents. Are they always simply one off incidents, or can they be the gradual but consistent build up of stress in the knee (maybe relating to the surfaces you're running on, your gait, other similar things), and the injury itself is just the straw that breaks the camel's back, so to speak?

Question for those far more knowledgeable about ACL's than I... All these injuries all seem quite innocuous, freak accidents. Are they always simply one off incidents, or can they be the gradual but consistent build up of stress in the knee (maybe relating to the surfaces you're running on, your gait, other similar things), and the injury itself is just the straw that breaks the camel's back, so to speak?

Someone might be able to find the thread that it's in but there is a ?west coast supporter who I assume is a physiotherapist that has gone into detail about ACL's and flexibility. There was a video of Naitanui in a gym that he was pointing out the lack of flexibility in his ankles putting more pressure on the knee and that's why he was prone to ACL injuries.

They're one off incidents, knee ligament injuries that are classified in grades of 1, 2 or 3. G1 is a stretch, G2 is a partial tear, G3 is a complete tear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn’t mention Lyons at all?
hallelujah GIF

Nope. Although I listed to it again and he specifically said Brain will "be in line for selection".

08:45 in this clip

Sounds like the smart money is on Brain...

I love what I've seen of Brain the last couple of games.

Could've been in last week.

Not getting over excited because he might cough it up first couple of times out but I'd be surprised if he did.

I hope you didn't have too much of that pre written before Sundays game or you and the editting team would have had to get moving!

Going into this game personally feeling like a weight has been lifted... we have wanted change and it has come, we wanted pressure and determination from the guys and saw some ... excited about the game and going forward!!!
Hahhaha I had some thoughts on what I wanted to write before hand but it definitely all went out the window to focus on our injuries. I wanted to write a bit more about Adelaide and potential matchups but things were getting a little long already, and too much chaos on who will play now.

I'd say there is potentially an option that all three come into the side (maybe one as sub) and not bring in the mids (Tunstill and Lyons). They all do kinda line up with the positions that are missing, it just depends how much we shuffle players around on field. Like Berry played inside and almost no wing time on the weekend, do we continue that or move him back to his standard role?

I have been waiting for Wilmot to play more wing which allows Zorko to stay in defense when everyone available.

Pleased to hear Fagan mentioned in his interview that when Starcevich went down he had to change Wilmot back to defense from the wing. Mentioned at the 3.20-minute mark.

Dear lord; get the mute button ready for this telecast

ADELAIDE CROWS v BRISBANE LIONS

Sunday May 12, 4pm at Adelaide Oval

How to watch on Fox Footy: From 4pm on Channel 504 with Dwayne Russell, Kelli Underwood, Jack Riewoldt, Jordan Lewis, Mark Ricciuto & Jon Ralph.
My ears will bleed listening to that lit. No jokes; those six are easily in my top 9 do not want to listen to commentating games (BT, Darcy, Brayshaw the others) and we wind up with all of them 🤮

My ears will bleed listening to that lit. No jokes; those six are easily in my top 9 do not want to listen to commentating games (BT, Darcy, Brayshaw the others) and we wind up with all of them 🤮

Horrrrible.

Lester, Payne, Wilmot
McKenna, Andrews, Zorko

Fletcher,Neale,McCluggage
Big O, Dunkley, Berry

Lohmann, Hippy, Reville
Charlie, Joe, Rayner

Brain, Morris, Sharp, Ah Chee
Sub Prior/Tunstill

I like the idea of Berry used more inside. I like the newbies getting another run, happy with Brain or Prior. Let's see how we go.

Not a stellar list, if forced to choose the "best" of that uninspiring list I'd plump for Jordan Lewis and that's not saying much.

I want Lyons to come in just to read the melts.

Remember in the bad old days the Thursday night melts. We didn't know what we had until it was gone.
Pretty sure I used to rant on how Karnises never got a game.
If your reading this Vossy, sorry mate you obviously knew better than me.
Who would of thought.
Ah the good ol days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back