Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't hear or see 1 second of the game so went to read some of the game day thread.
Wow! What a bunch of sooks.

Don't want us playing finals huh? Well ok, book your holidays and piss off from posting on the board. What's the point?
Unbelievable.

I was surprised when I saw the scores. But shit happens.

Typical bloody gameday thread fake fans. Real fans are people like you who don't actually watch the games. :thumbsu:

I actually thought we were ok for most of the game and really just were hampered by conversion and some really dumb mistakes going forward.

On another day we could've easily been 40+ points up midway through the 3rd rather than 20 with the game as good as over and we probably run out 10 goal winners. Instead we didn't convert while they did and then lost our heads for 10 minutes to find ourselves behind. And even then we regained composure and dominated the last 25 minutes when we had to. By the end it would've been utter daylight robbery for the crows to win that after being smashed in contested ball, clearances, inside 50s and expected score.

The score looks bad but I think our performance was better than that.

I actually thought we were ok for most of the game and really just were hampered by conversion and some really dumb mistakes going forward.

On another day we could've easily been 40+ points up midway through the 3rd rather than 20 with the game as good as over and we probably run out 10 goal winners. Instead we didn't convert while they did and then lost our heads for 10 minutes to find ourselves behind. And even then we regained composure and dominated the last 25 minutes when we had to. By the end it would've been utter daylight robbery for the crows to win that after being smashed in contested ball, clearances, inside 50s and expected score.

I likened us through the game as 'driving with the handbrake on'.

We were a real chance of beating ourselves for a while.

I mostly agree with that.

Our midfield were good, our forwards were quite good, but our defenders were poor. We gave up way more contest victories to Adelaide forwards than we normally do.

To their credit, Adelaide’s marking forwards were very good. I have been a Fogarty critic but he was way more competitive than I gave him credit for. Having said that, our key defenders were bad. Uncharacteristically bad.

The game was a real contrast in styles, Adelaide were marking everything up forward, and were veryeffective from structured play. Our forward line was far more potent when we moved quickly and got our smaller blokes into some space.

I would like to believe that we won’t get burned like that again. The mistakes we were making in defence should be easily corrected.

Miers should be playing at half forward. ATM he’s out of position + unable to create goal assists. He was tackling well, recently.

Last night he was contained. I do acknowledge Miers was moved to strengthen our MF + did well at CBAs. Bruhn’s return saw him win CCs.

Not sure how Miers improves. But playing some kind of role? 🤷🏻‍♀️
I think there will be some adjustment to Mannagh coming in given he has taken a fair bit of the “at contest” stuff miers was doing. So miers is playing multiple roles including wing etc.

In some ways whilst it doesn’t help miers I feel much more robust in terms of the team now we have miers dempsey and mannagh mixing it up the ground. Last year we relied miles too much on gryan (who delivered mostly). Now one of those three can have an off day (or be tagged out) and the other two pick up the slack

Ah well- wouldn’t have been in in my votes. He’s getting some touches but not making his usual effective use of them. Happy to see it differently but I think when he’s at his best he offers such a point of difference- and I’m missing that and I think the team is too.
Agree. Teams are putting lots of work into him for that reason and shutting down his clear space. But when he gets it he is still doing good stuff.

Watch him on bigger grounds coming up and I think he will improve.

That is a crazy comparison.

AFL players get criticism and adulation (along with a large pay packet). There is an upside to balance out the downside. That is the lure to playing.

Umpires would only ever get criticism. There is no upside, only downside. Regardless of how much money they earn.

Yes, an increased salary would potentially give some incentive. But you have to be a special kind of narcissist to be happy getting abused every week and named and shamed in the media for any mistake, with no upside other than money.

Extra scrutiny for umpires will only lead to bad outcomes. Although I guess it might make you feel better so you can add to the pile on if an important decision goes against the cats. Whatever boils your potatoes I guess.
You are obviously not capable of a rational conversation without becoming abusive and sarcastic if anything does not line up with your view, in future I will just ignore your posts.

Typical bloody gameday thread fake fans. Real fans are people like you who don't actually watch the games. :thumbsu:
My sons 17th....
I spent the whole day with him.
But having said that, yeah there's weeks where I dont give a shit. But I dont drop the bundle like you did.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeremy Cameron 6
Sydney 5
St Kilda 5

"DrOp ThE bUnDlE"

View attachment 2069113

Good thing is Vinum will disappear so this appearance of the site's resident pimple will be shortlived.
Nothing outlandish in what Baudolino expressed during the game.

Damn, I was really bringing my sophisticated, Lana-esque analytical A-game to the gameday thread yesterday, wasn't I? I hope everyone was taking notes. It's not every day you see the same person write two posts as insightful as "wtf was that" and "Tuohy sucks now" within such a short period of time. 😍

"DrOp ThE bUnDlE"

View attachment 2069113

Good thing is Vinum will disappear so this appearance of the site's resident pimple will be shortlived.
I feel bad myself as I also commented on Cameron's infuriating conversion early, then he went on to kick 6 goals and I didn't really give him his proper acknowledgement.

The point being it can be a bit of a cauldron of negativity minus too much of the positive stuff and we are all guilty - I was yesterday more than I'd usually be. At times those threads can dip into the dark side too much. However, people including myself are free to avoid the emotions of a gameday thread if it becomes too annoying.

Damn, I was really bringing my sophisticated, Lana-esque analytical A-game to the gameday thread yesterday, wasn't I? I hope everyone was taking notes. It's not every day you see the same person write two posts as insightful as "wtf was that" and "Tuohy sucks now" within such a short period of time. 😍

I reckon 'wtf was that' would've been the most repeated phrase amongst all of us watching yesterday.

Jeremy Cameron 6
Sydney 5
St Kilda 5
He is good enough to have that sort influence not every week, but more regularly than he does.

Do we expect too much? Probably. But at his best, confident and in full flow, he tears games apart with massive scoreboard impact and clinical conversion.

When his kicking is off it seems to affect his whole game. Which means he still gets involved but is a much more discombobulated looking specimen.

That is a crazy comparison.

AFL players get criticism and adulation (along with a large pay packet). There is an upside to balance out the downside. That is the lure to playing.

Umpires would only ever get criticism. There is no upside, only downside. Regardless of how much money they earn.

Yes, an increased salary would potentially give some incentive. But you have to be a special kind of narcissist to be happy getting abused every week and named and shamed in the media for any mistake, with no upside other than money.

Extra scrutiny for umpires will only lead to bad outcomes. Although I guess it might make you feel better so you can add to the pile on if an important decision goes against the cats. Whatever boils your potatoes I guess.

The NBA releases last two minute reports on the officiating for every game.

I don't think any transparency will dull any criticism, which by its very nature is influenced heavily by tribalism.

I think the match day commentators should say very little about the umpiring, more then half the time their criticism is plain wrong. I think something is lost by the criticism in that all decision are made in real time with no benefit of broadcast angles or replays, no do overs.

I feel bad myself as I also commented on Cameron's infuriating conversion early, then he went on to kick 6 goals and I didn't really give him his proper acknowledgement.

The point being it can be a bit of a cauldron of negativity minus too much of the positive stuff and we are all guilty - I was yesterday more than I'd usually be. At times those threads can dip into the dark side too much. However, people including myself are free to avoid the emotions of a gameday thread if it becomes too annoying.

This might sound weird, because at the end of the day it has negative connotations I guess, but I reckon a lot of what is voiced in the GD threads isn't negativity as a purpose, but just expressions of exasperation.

That makes any sense??

What we dish up at times is bewildering, and a lot of what is said is off the cuff, 'in the moment' stuff.

I think there's a difference between that and the comments of those who set out to be deliberately negative and incite others.

"DrOp ThE bUnDlE"

View attachment 2069113

Quoting the match day thread outside of it is like recoding someone at the ground. Its a vent thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back