News Jack Lukosius nominates Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest news:
DISCOUNT JACK

By Simeon Thomas-Wilson

Gold Coast’s willingness to pay part of Jack Lukosius’ contract will likely impact trade negotiations with Port Adelaide as the former No.2 pick looks to land at Alberton.

With the season over attention now turns to the free agency and trade period, with both South Australian clubs set to be busy again.

What the Power ends up stumping up for Lukosius could depend on the Suns’ desire to take on some of his money.

The swingman was contracted for two more years at the Suns, on a heavily back-ended contract believed to be around $1 million per year.

The Power will give the 24-year-old a six-year contact after he chose Port Adelaide to play with captain and good friend Connor Rozee.

Gold Coast wants a first-round pick, while the Power is considered likely to prefer to part with a second selection for Lukosius.

But if the Suns take on some of Lukosius’ contract, then the pick they could receive for the Woodville-West Torrens product could improve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Port: Lukosius, 12 (GC), Future 1st (Carlton), 20 (GC)
Gold Coast: Future 1st (Port), 31 (Carlton)
Carlton: Houston
Can GC include a succulent Chinese meal as a sweetener?

On a serious note, I would only entertain that deal if we got Perryman but its looking increasingly unlikely we won't get him. Pies managed to nab him at the last minute.

I’ll never forget that game and the moment the fans ran onto the field. That was probably the most stressful but most satisfying game I’ve ever seen live. Of course the week after was magnificent too but that game against St Kilda had it all
Just by sheer luck it was the first year I actually started going to games. I still remember walking up the ramp to the seats and looking out at the biggest crowd I'd ever been part of, with all the flags waving. I was in awe, and then the game. So exciting, nerve racking, and then the euphoria when we won. What a night!

I would only entertain that deal if we got Perryman but its looking increasingly unlikely we won't get him.
Not Adding Up Green Bay Packers GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack

So you're saying it's happening?

If Lukosius had a good year as a forward in 2023 they wouldn't have started him in defence in 2024.

You know who else kicked 40 goals in 2023? Finlayson. and by the end of it we were sick of seeing him

The frustration with Fin didn’t come from him kicking his 40 goals, it came from him kicking the same number of points and going at an accuracy of 50% (ignoring ones that’s didn’t even score).

He kicked 38.38. That’s terrible in anyone’s books.

Luko kicked 39.22 for comparisons. Accuracy of 64%.

Now if Luko had the same number of shots as Fin had, with his accuracy then he goes at 49 goals. No one will be frustrated if Luko is kicking 50 goals for us up next to Georgiades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port: Lukosius, 12 (GC), Future 1st (Carlton), 20 (GC)
Gold Coast: Future 1st (Port), 31 (Carlton)
Carlton: Houston
What's the point in us getting Carlton's future first and Gold Coast getting our future 1st? Why not just give Carlton's future first to GC and we keep ours?

Then if you take those out we're getting Luko, 12 and 20 for Houston, which as much as I like Houston is an entirely unrealistic haul.

Personally i don't really care that much about Lukosius under the suns system, they have largely been a poor side during his tenure.

It also does not help playing him out of position for >50% of his career.

We've seen what happened to Rankine when he left the suns

He's got the attributes to be a good forward in our team, i don't think he's going to turn into something he's not. But he appears to be athletic, good on the lead and a very good kick, he's not injury prone either

Could see him kicking 40-50 goals a year.

If Luko can get back to somewhere near his 2023 form of 39 goals, 6.4 marks a game, 1 contested then I consider that worth the salary hit. Sure Dimma is kicking him out but we don't necessarily know the whole story and didn't he give us Jay?

There is no doubt he seems to have a lot of Todd about him. However what he does have that we haven't seen in Todd, Lord, Finlayson, Rioli, SPP and Dixon is durability and/or off field issues. Not the end all and be all in forwards but not to be underrated at Port either. Fingers cross it will be nice to have a forward line player turn up fit with his head in the game each week.

Like Todd and Dixon, Luko's success at Port will partly be predicated on whether we have a gameplan that doesn't have high, long, deep forward entries as option A and plays spuds like McEntee to try and prevent the rebound. Ideally we would have a new coach and a completely different gameplan with some versatility built into it.

Is there room for Luko and Todd or are they competing for the same spot? That is the burning question for me. I really can't see both of them playing in our forward line with Mitch the 3rd tall. Ideally you have that ruck/contested marking forward. Maybe one of them is going to play up the ground or trialed as a defender.

One thing he has other all the key forwards we have at the moment is the ability to kick from 60+ metres.

Don’t think I’ve seen the likes of Marshall, Georgiades etc. kick too often from beyond the 50. Maybe Marshall a few times when he was fit and firing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jack Lukosius nominates Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back