News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we think that some of the last 6 of 9 Geelong games will be sent back to the MCG? Cats v Bombers as an example.
0% chance
I think they have already confirmed that none of the games will be shifted

Honestly I think they will try and move it. More $ at an MCG game for us.
They won’t be able to, the club has sold those seats for those games. They would need to refund every member membership fees based on the lose of how ever many games are moved.

Not really

The club makes more money on a sold out game at KP, compared with equivalent numbers at the MCG which would actually see the club lose $$

Not sure the numbers now days, but going back to about 2015 we needed a crowd of approx 55k/60k to break even, and to make serious money it's like 80k+

The crowd against Collingwood in round 1 was 86,595 - unless something crazy happens like Geelong & Essendon are #1 & #2 on the ladder come round 18, I don't see us getting a crowd close to that...Rnd 1 last year was a Geelong "home" game & the crowd was less than 55k, and going back to 2019 it was another Geelong "home" game with less than 65k in attendance - neither of those would be high earning matches for the club compared with a capacity crowd at KP

Not really

The club makes more money on a sold out game at KP, compared with equivalent numbers at the MCG which would actually see the club lose $$

Not sure the numbers now days, but going back to about 2015 we needed a crowd of approx 55k/60k to break even, and to make serious money it's like 80k+

The crowd against Collingwood in round 1 was 86,595 - unless something crazy happens like Geelong & Essendon are #1 & #2 on the ladder come round 18, I don't see us getting a crowd close to that...Rnd 1 last year was a Geelong "home" game & the crowd was less than 55k, and going back to 2019 it was another Geelong "home" game with less than $65k in attendance - neither of those would be high earning matches for the club compared with a capacity crowd at KP

Exactly.

Its OK in theory to say lets move it but Id think it far more complicated than just bigger attendance..lets just switch it... all the commercial side of things for example... what about the packages paid to watch Geelong in geelong not melb. Many more seats sold in geelong than Melb... Some members only have membership in geelong and would not want the melb seats even if allocate them... do they get refunds? Do they get credit next year? At the very least those supporters would be out of pocket for travel? Could they get train credit? That can be done..I think the first year in Docklands we travelled on the train free of charge? What of the boxes in geelong What of the food/beverage contracts etc. I seem to remember Geelong got more % of money from food sold in geelong than in melb ..

Rel to R18 ...the G is very busy anyway ...In the end probably just easier to absorb the lack of attendance... and bill the contractor , if they can, if they messed up...IF it was expected to be finished bya specific date.

The club makes more money on a sold out game at KP, compared with equivalent numbers at the MCG
Normally yes, but that it has been muted somewhat by the reduced capacity at KP. We can probably hold only around 22,00 currently (last year's max attendance), which is just under 10,000 less than we were getting back in 2019 (pre-pandemic)

This is a proven furphy. Cats make more money from home games at KP, hence why we keep trying to increase capacity here and move more games from Melbourne down to Geelong. Melbourne games now purely serve to sign up Melbourne based members.

And end up with less than 9 games at home? It will never happen. We wouldn't do anything to set a precedent for giving up home games, even if the circumstances are extraordinary

And end up with less than 9 games at home? It will never happen. We wouldn't do anything to set a precedent for giving up home games, even if the circumstances are extraordinary
It’s happened more often than not in the last 20 years, we often only had 7 or 8 home games, maybe the last7 or so years we have had 9, I have no concept of time so could be less or more years🤷‍♂️

It’s happened more often than not in the last 20 years, we often only had 7 or 8 home games, maybe the last7 or so years we have had 9, I have no concept of time so could be less or more years🤷‍♂️
That’s true, but we’re not going backwards from this point. 9 at home will be minimum. I’m a Melb member and I’d prefer we have 11 at home. This conception that Melb supporters/members need to be supported by playing home games in Melbourne is nonsense to me. It’s not about me or Melb members. It’s about what’s best for the team. Clearly playing more game in Geelong is a better outcome.

We’ll work out how to win at the mcg when we have a team that is good enough.

How long has it been since a match was relocated from KP to the G? Must be 15 years at least. Just doesn't happen anymore. Apart from how much money the club itself makes, there is also the wider economic benefit to the community as a whole

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way a relocation happens would be if we and Essendon are winning heaps, and the club negotiates a swap so we get 10 KP games next year I recon.

I think if the clubs asks for that and the AFL agrees we probably take it regardless of how the teams are doing. In fact if we arent having a good year by round 18 and the club is already looking ahead to 2024 by then, the prospect of an extra KP game in what might be a better year for us starts to look really good. The question is would the AFL agree? My gut says probably not but you never know.

I wonder if folks here can help me understand something: We play a bunch of home games at the MCG. Is that just happening while our ground is being redeveloped (ie. do we expect those games to revert to Kardinia Park when it's finished) or is that a long-term and ongoing thing?

I wonder if folks here can help me understand something: We play a bunch of home games at the MCG. Is that just happening while our ground is being redeveloped (ie. do we expect those games to revert to Kardinia Park when it's finished) or is that a long-term and ongoing thing?
Most likely ongoing.

I think the AFL have a deal for X number of games at MCG and Docklands, and all Melbourne teams get some home games at a second venue.

i think its just 2 home games is it not this year?

GO Catters

i think its just 2 home games is it not this year?

GO Catters
Right. I actually have no idea. I see people complain about it quite often and am trying to understand how it all works, why we do it, if it's always been that way or if it is related to the redevelopment, etc.

Right. I actually have no idea. I see people complain about it quite often and am trying to understand how it all works, why we do it, if it's always been that way or if it is related to the redevelopment, etc.
Problem is that certain clubs refuse to play at GMHBA, and since about 2009(?) we have been gifted the Easter Monday game at MCG v Hawks, regardless of whose home game it is

Remove this Banner Ad

News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back