List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Given the supposed salary cap space with both the Drug Rats and Norf combined with the shortage of available KPD'ers, I would be looking to target Haynes from GWS. He supposedly is on his final year worth $1 mln as he was back ended.

I suspect there might be a chance of getting a pick to take his full salary whack. Haynes is now 4th choice KPD at GWS.

Norf could offer 16 and full salary take for Haynes and 12. Likewise Dons could offer 8 and full salary for 6 and Haynes.

GWS would then be able to pay forward some of their contracts which is something they have not done since they were in infancy.

I see Haynes as a much better option that McKay, even though Haynes is older.

Looking at the 2 port picks we hold, they are currently at 35 and 54. With Melbourne losing last night, the lowest Port can finish will be 5th. Therefore our picks are worth
R2 - best case 33/worst case 37
R3 - best case 54/worst case 56

Obviously this is prior to any compensation.

Thank goodness the total package with both pick 2 and Junior meant that we nailed Ginbey and Hewett as the other parts of the equation are not great.

Happy with the overall.

What I'd like out of this draft. Draft Guru's atre saying there will only be 50 picks or less this year.

Pick 1 - Harley Reid
Pick 19 Split for Pick 22 and 30 from Sydney
Pick 22 - James Leake
Pick 30 - Hawks for Tyler Brockman
Pick 35 -Arie Schoenmaker
Pick 38 - Zane Zakostelsky
Cat B/Pick 54 - Lance Collard
Cat B - Coen Livingstone

What I'd like out of this draft. Draft Guru's atre saying there will only be 50 picks or less this year.

Pick 1 - Harley Reid
Pick 22 - James Leake
Cat B - Coen Livingstone
Pick 30 for Brockman is overs

Pick 1 - Harley Reid
Pick 22 - James Leake
Cat B - Coen Livingstone

Can we split during trade week before the draft?

Can we split during trade week before the draft?

Can split during trade week which closes Wednesday 18/10 and then again from Monday 23/10 to Friday 10/11 although players can’t be involved after the 18/10

Draft picks can then be traded once the draft starts on Monday 20/11

FD101535-B90F-433A-AB9B-E5053F9E5C67.jpeg 1459DE75-97C1-4C36-AFF9-4576776FBEBE.jpeg B5C1CF9E-F6E5-4189-A305-D5A81C9FD1C9.jpeg 63934C0D-71F6-4CC6-A4F3-9D380D03E249.jpeg

Yes, but history would suggest that Pick 19 is at it's highest value in the period between R1 of the draft finishing and R2 beginning the next day.
It’s quite a valuable pick because of that isn’t it? Once the first round has finished everyone can sit back and evaluate what happened - who is left, what other clubs may want etc. Being first cab off the rank the next day means you’ve got a lot of bargaining power. Have I got that right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's been the pick's history since they split the draft over two days and started to allow for pick splitting?

Trading first pick of night 2 :

2018 - WCE traded pick 23 and F5 to Gold Coast for picks 27 and 32

2019* - Port traded 22 and F4(GWS) to Brisbane for 23 and F2 (Coll)

2020 - Draft was held on one day/night

2021** - Fremantle didn’t trade and used pick 21 to select Johnson

2022***- GWS didn’t trade and used pick 22 to select Gruzewski

* Port acquired this pick (Gold Coast priority pick) from Carlton - pick 20 for 22 and 55 who had acquired it from Gold Coast - pick 17 and 22 for 11 and 62 all on the first night of the draft

** Fremantle acquired this pick (Gold Coast priority pick) as part of the Will Brodie trade prior to the draft

*** GWS acquired the first pick of R2 as part of the Taranto trade with Richmond who had received it from North as a future R2 selection in 2021 for Coleman-Jones

Trading first pick of night 2 :

2018 - WCE traded pick 23 and F5 to Gold Coast for picks 27 and 32

2019* - Port traded 22 and F4(GWS) to Brisbane for 23 and F2 (Coll)

2020 - Draft was held on one day/night

2021** - Fremantle didn’t trade and used pick 21 to select Johnson

2022***- GWS didn’t trade and used pick 22 to select Gruzewski

* Port acquired this pick (Gold Coast priority pick) from Carlton - pick 20 for 22 and 55 who had acquired it from Gold Coast - pick 17 and 22 for 11 and 62 all on the first night of the draft

** Fremantle acquired this pick (Gold Coast priority pick) as part of the Will Brodie trade prior to the draft

*** GWS acquired the first pick of R2 as part of the Taranto trade with Richmond who had received it from North as a future R2 selection in 2021 for Coleman-Jones

Awesome work Keys

So it's basically a slight pick downgrade plus an extra second rounder, and you have to chuck in a late pick as a sweetener.

Worth it if the second round are even I guess, but not the **** yeah we have the first pick on day two bonanza some have made it out to be.

Surely any end of first round comp is night 1?

Since they’ve split the draft over two nights, 2018 was the only draft that had an end of first round FA compensation pick. That was the pick WCE received for Lycett and was the first pick of night 2 despite being a R1 pick

The Gold Coast priority picks (2019 and 2021) were classed as the first pick of the 2nd round

It was last year

There was no end of first round compo pick last year

Offer that was too good to pass up (work/life and money) for a different club. Having a lot more input this year, particularly earlier on and in regards to trade targets. Not that I think the club I'm working for is likely to get any more than 1 out of their 100 potential trade targets over the line this year.

Some clubs are getting quite creative in regards to getting stuff on contract and not apart of the football department soft cap. It could come back to bite them in the arse but hey this is the AFL, until WA or SA clubs do it, it's probably fair game.

I'm out of the country all of January and Most of Feb so miss a lot of the offseason bullshit but looking forward to hopefully some Keys training reports.

I really, really don't have any plans to do it next year for any amount and will likely just go back to watching games and some SW footy. Next years WA draft prospects are not looking too crash hot and.
So you are saying the AFL are letting the VIC teams cheat? This needs more attention. Anyone work in media on this forum?

Awesome work Keys

So it's basically a slight pick downgrade plus an extra second rounder, and you have to chuck in a late pick as a sweetener.

Worth it if the second round are even I guess, but not the * yeah we have the first pick on day two bonanza some have made it out to be.

I believe Fremantle were getting some good offers in 2021 but decided Johnson was a better option

But yeah it’s not really the bonanza I thought it was prior to looking into it a little while ago

Since they’ve split the draft over two nights, 2018 was the only draft that had an end of first round FA compensation pick. That was the pick WCE received for Lycett and was the first pick of night 2 despite being a R1 pick

The Gold Coast priority picks (2019 and 2021) were classed as the first pick of the 2nd round

There was no end of first round compo pick last year

Sorry you are right, got confused with GWS getting Geelongs pick 18

Pick 1 - Harley Reid
Pick 22 - James Leake
Cat B - Coen Livingstone
Brockman is not worth pick 30 he was pick 46 and his 11 possessions 2 tackles and 0.9 goals a game this year doesn’t increase his value .

He went goalless 7 times in 15 games this season and subbed off twice for failing to impact the game .

I don't even see how he gets a game in our forward line with cripps and Ryan auto selection and long should rise another level .

Also I would rather just get collard and maybe Tholstrup/moir unless brockman is cheap . SPS pick 55 cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back