List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Baker will instantly make our 22 stronger, looking forward to it, he’ll be in our squad soon you bloody beauty!
I’m really interested to see if we can add any other young midfielders, Garcia, Carroll, Dev.
I also hope we split our pick 3, two shots at the title is better than one.

Yeah I'm also keen for midtable mediocrity woo!!!

Would pick 67 plus a F3 pick be enough for Robertson !
Over paying for him 67 alone should do it
A one position player we already have Jack Graham do not need another in DEV

A Garcia type you could understand as he can play half forward as well as wing as well as mid

Prior could fill a need in defence

Baker will instantly make our 22 stronger, looking forward to it, he’ll be in our squad soon you bloody beauty!
I’m really interested to see if we can add any other young midfielders, Garcia, Carroll, Dev.
I also hope we split our pick 3, two shots at the title is better than one.
I’m with this - I really don’t want to give up 14, but don’t tell me he’s not a good player.

Jack Graham coming in for nothing is perfectly fine.

I also want a split.

I think we are forgetting the roles some of our other young players can fill.
Someone like Hall in the middle as an accumulator/first touch mid would fill a big hole, and hes far from a write off. Hes the exact type of contested player who just goes stoppage to stoppage all day feeding the ball out to Reid/Hewett/whoever.

Would fill the same role we expect a Draper type to fill. Less slippery but the bigger body is arguably better suited.

Just out of curiosity and the risk of getting to to GTFO 100 times , Could i ask a taboo question ?

which out of the 2 trades would be preferred frm the below (yes neither but just for the sake of the exercise )

#3 for Baker + #11 + #32
#14 for Baker + #32
1728299390598.gif

The Gun is an appropriate username in this case. Insane suggestions.

People are saying 14 is too high for baker, and agree around 18-20 is the correct value.

People are also saying our pick 3 for 6 and 13 from Gold Coast or 10 and 11 from Fremantle is about right also.

There for just pick 3 on its own is more than enough for Baker (18 value) and 6 from Richmond without us having to throw in additional picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with the circumstances but Redden was 23 at the time and was a very good midfielder at the time that had stagnated the last few seasons as leppitch tried to turn him from a balanced mid to a pure inside mid. Wellingham was also a few years younger but by memory he was more of an accomplished player at the Pies.

Like I mentioned a few pages back I just don’t see that as Bakers value as he is a jack of all trades but a master of none. He suits a strong team rather than a celler dweller like us.
Redden turned 25 (in December) the year we traded for him

Baker will essentially be 2 years older than Redden was

Not trying to argue specifically with you THE A5 as I think we have the same opinion on the trade overall, but Wellingham turned 25 in his first season with us also. Both he and Redden took a season or two to actually settle into our team and find their roles - Wellingham specifically we fumbled around a bit on the HFF and wing before he found his feet as a good HBF. They were a similar/only slightly younger age to what Baker will be in 2025 when they were actively making us a powerful team.

I do actually rate Baker and we probably just have different opinions there. He's hard, quick, has enough agility to get good meterage/space and make up for not being an elite kick, and is awesome below his knees. I actually do think to the right team (as you say, a strong team) he would have similar value to those two.

But for us, and probably in support of your point, we can't really afford for Baker to take a season or more to settle into a role. His age and our stage as a team probably won't allow for that if we are to see this as good value, and even if he does slot in right away (if he does I think he really will make us slightly better in the medium term) the timing is still off as we've discussed.

It sort of mirrors the Barrass situation where us and Richmond are in similar boats in that we're rebuilding, we have a player with trade value that probably exceeds their value to our next tilt and so we're happy-ish to let them go for the right price. However we're selling to Hawthorn who actually are in the position to pay that price, whereas if this does become somewhat of a straight swap Richmond are achieving that goal of list building whilst we've sort of come out without doing that.

FWIW I wouldn't pay pick 14 for Barrass if he played for Hawthorn and wanted to come to us this year either. Just not the right circumstances for us, though his value is (or should be) more for them. Obviously won't melt on it yet as I don't trust the whole Trade Media whatsoever and the value may go more our way than we expect but as it's reported, not loving the sound of it.

People are saying 14 is too high for baker, and agree around 18-20 is the correct value.

People are also saying our pick 3 for 6 and 13 from Gold Coast or 10 and 11 from Fremantle is about right also.

There for just pick 3 on its own is more than enough for Baker (18 value) and 6 from Richmond without us having to throw in additional picks
Who is saying 18 -20 is correct?

Mid 20's is where most have him pick 25 to 27 range

Just out of curiosity and the risk of getting to to GTFO 100 times , Could i ask a taboo question ?

which out of the 2 trades would be preferred frm the below (yes neither but just for the sake of the exercise )

#3 for Baker + #11 + #32
#14 for Baker + #32
Zero
Nada
Nix
Nope
No

And

GTFO

Not trying to argue specifically with you THE A5 as I think we have the same opinion on the trade overall, but Wellingham turned 25 in his first season with us also. Both he and Redden took a season or two to actually settle into our team and find their roles - Wellingham specifically we fumbled around a bit on the HFF and wing before he found his feet as a good HBF. They were a similar/only slightly younger age to what Baker will be in 2025 when they were actively making us a powerful team.

I do actually rate Baker and we probably just have different opinions there. He's hard, quick, has enough agility to get good meterage/space and make up for not being an elite kick, and is awesome below his knees. I actually do think to the right team (as you say, a strong team) he would have similar value to those two.

But for us, and probably in support of your point, we can't really afford for Baker to take a season or more to settle into a role. His age and our stage as a team probably won't allow for that if we are to see this as good value, and even if he does slot in right away (if he does I think he really will make us slightly better in the medium term) the timing is still off as we've discussed.

It sort of mirrors the Barrass situation where us and Richmond are in similar boats in that we're rebuilding, we have a player with trade value that probably exceeds their value to our next tilt and so we're happy-ish to let them go for the right price. However we're selling to Hawthorn who actually are in the position to pay that price, whereas if this does become somewhat of a straight swap Richmond are achieving that goal of list building whilst we've sort of come out without doing that.

FWIW I wouldn't pay pick 14 for Barrass if he played for Hawthorn and wanted to come to us this year either. Just not the right circumstances for us, though his value is (or should be) more for them. Obviously won't melt on it yet as I don't trust the whole Trade Media whatsoever and the value may go more our way than we expect but as it's reported, not loving the sound of it.

Re Baker fitting in straight away

You’re right in saying that Wellingham and Redden took time to adjust to our game style when they first arrived. Jetta was the same as was Kelly. For whatever reason it was a common problem under Simpson that players took time to adjust

I don’t think Baker will have that problem since we now have a new coach who will be trying to implement a more Richmond like game plan. So Baker should not only have less trouble adapting but will be able to help his new teammates understand the change

Same goes for Graham

Re Baker fitting in straight away

You’re right in saying that Wellingham and Redden took time to adjust to our game style when they first arrived. Jetta was the same as was Kelly. For whatever reason it was a common problem under Simpson that players took time to adjust

I don’t think Baker will have that problem since we now have a new coach who will be trying to implement a more Richmond like game plan. So Baker should not only have less trouble adapting but will be able to help his new teammates understand the change

Same goes for Graham

Definitely agree with the gameplan aspect, and him helping the team adjust to that style may be really beneficial.

Where I see a potential struggle early on is positioning. He's played his best footy as a HBF in the Duggan role. He may take that role over (in which case does Duggan have some adjusting to do), or since we have needs for a tough, speedy wing or HFF option do we play him there initially, where he's been more inconsistent during his time at Richmond. We're in need for young talent coming on in all those positions regardless so may depend on who crops up from our young brigade in the preseason, but as I'm sure the new gamestyle will feel a bit wonky at first for his teammates/he'll generally be settling in, if he does play forward of defence I wouldn't be surprised if we see teething issues season 1.

That being said as we're not contending we can probably cop that for a bit, more just concerned that the combined off-field influence and performance in his career's tailend when we do climb up the ladder may not outweigh the need for us to bring in good chances at genuine young talent.

A whipping boy is a valuable asset. Every team needs him.

For schmoes like you or I, we would see the writing on the wall and acknowledge that we would never break into a midfield as good as Brisbane's.

However he's a professional athlete. Professional athletes are competitive, and with their confidence they'll back themselves in. Especially for a side that had narrowly missed out on premiership success and (as time would prove correct) were good chances to go again the following year.
For sure, I was having a dig/joke at the previous poster, but at the same time I knew nothing about Dev except his dismal highlights reel..am more up to speed now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back