List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Rowan Marshall doesn't like the culture at the club and has been considering leaving since the North game. Source is a bit suspect so take it with a grain of salt but just putting it out there. Big watch

In basic terms, as things currently stand, Rowan Marshall is our MVP. He is central to the way we play, we are paper thin on ruck stocks and for the way he plays specifically, he is currently irreplaceable.

However, no one is untouchable and since the way we are playing isn't that great to watch or very effective as yet, perhaps his departure wouldn't kill the club, if it were adequately paid for, and as Stav says only a couple of clubs have the currency and need.

So I don't think he would go this year, but might be sniffing around for a move at the end of 05 if things don't improve, like a few others I expect.

But if he does go this year, then we name our price and it would be eye-watering.

Apparently Rowan Marshall doesn't like the culture at the club and has been considering leaving since the North game. Source is a bit suspect so take it with a grain of salt but just putting it out there. Big watch
Preferred the knockabout boozing in the Ratts years?

Yep, apparently can’t stand having to play matches sober. And do actual training requiring some degree of effort. No wonder the club’s stuffed. At least we should have 27 first round picks when he, Battle and Steele go.

Ah so that's why he's always smiling and giggling, he's off his face and plastered and just fooling everyone around him.

We've cracked the code guys! Someone call the AA group stat!

Unlike battle- at least marshall is contracted.

It could be a blessing in disguise if marshall walked and we got circa a top 10 pick for him.

Help rebalance our list to go for a flag when wilson, king, owens, pou, nas, windy etc are mid-late 20's.
If we got one top ten pick for Marshall who is contracted until 2027, SoS and Allen should be immediately sacked.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only Saints fans would fill there time in bye round talking about hypotheticals with selling off their only capable ruck.

After 14 rounds of footy, here we are back throwing out the baby with the bath water. Apparently we need to sack SOS after 1 trade period lol.

If premierships were won off self destruct we’d have a full cabinet

Would we not be last if we were going down gringos new fever dream catch phrase of bottoming out?
Bottom out
Bottom out
Bottom out
Bottom out.

Say it to yourself enough times and it becomes your reality even if there is absolutely no evidence that it is happening at all.
Where did this come from? Because we lost Gresham, a middling high forward and maybe Battle, a good but not great back?

Sounds like crap to me.

If we got one top ten pick for Marshall who is contracted until 2027, SoS and Allen should be immediately sacked.

The suns do have picks 8+10 as it stands.

I’d send them back another pick for Moyle

Or I’d take 8 and ask for Humphrey

Lots of way you could make it work

But it will be BS. Only bloke I’ve heard in the 18 month the boss has been back that at times has been unhappy was Steele.

That also sounded more like a dummy spit because the boss raised the bar

I’ve said numerous times the players people here think will take us to our period of contention is no longer centred around Steele Wilkie Sinclair Marshall etc.

If some make it. Great.

But it’s King Higgins etc and below.

I was banging on about this crap last year.

Henry Dow fit that model.

The targets we have targeted or missed:
LDU Brayshaw King Weitering Stengle TDK Bergman etc

All fit the list model of that group. That group gives us a period of contention for a Geelong type of run if we can get the midfield right.
based on this line of thinking we have some clear future needs. I have used this as an excuse to bring out my favourite slides...

Attachments

• Slide1.jpeg
    Slide1.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Slide1.jpeg
    Slide1.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Slide2.jpeg
    Slide2.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Slide3.jpeg
    Slide3.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 51

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But if he does go this year, then we name our price and it would be eye-watering.
It feels like now is an opportune time to maximise on the value of some of our players. We are not contending and our current guys in their prime are not getting us there. This is Steele, Marshall, Sinclair, Wilkie, Crouch and Hill. Crouch and Hill have no trade value. Backline would fall apart without Wilkie. At the moment Steele is our best mid but we need to be a team where Steele is our third best mid probably. I see Sinclair as more valuable to us than Steele. Then there is Marshall who might be our most important player and we don't have a replacement option currently. But Marshall is also the most valuable on the market. As above, we name our price.

Say Marshall and Steele are both happy to go and we lose Battle. We could go to the draft with something like 4, 5, 6, 10 and 15 (5 for Battle, 6 and 15 for Marshall and 10 for Steele). That could be a club-changing haul. That is tantalising. And you have to hope you take Judd and Bartel over Ball and Xavier Clarke.

The big question is how to replace Marshall?

Cant be too p1ssed off as he has been our best player week after week

Last edited:
It was Sam McClure and he said - Ro is having his neck turned by offers at other clubs.

There was nothing suggesting he was unhappy.

And he would cost 2 first round picks as he is still contracted until 2027.

Or a first and a gun youngster.

It will be complete BS and even if it’s true there are not many clubs with the assets to make that deal - aside from the suns.
Arrhhhhh....good ol Sam McClueless is at it again !!!!!!!

He just can't help shooting off his big blabber.........probably hyper excited about how his beloved Bloos are going.

giphy.gif

It feels like now is an opportune time to maximise on the value of some of our players. We are not contending and our current guys in their prime are not getting us there. This is Steele, Marshall, Sinclair, Wilkie, Crouch and Hill. Crouch and Hill have no trade value. Backline would fall apart without Wilkie. At the moment Steele is our best mid but we need to be a team where Steele is our third best mid probably. I see Sinclair as more valuable to us than Steele. Then there is Marshall who might be our most important player and we don't have a replacement option currently. But Marshall is also the most valuable on the market. As above, we name our price.

Say Marshall and Steele are both happy to go and we lose Battle. We could go to the draft with something like 4, 5, 6, 10 and 15 (5 for Battle, 6 and 15 for Marshall and 10 for Steele). That could be a club-changing haul. That is tantalising. And you have to hope you take Judd and Bartel over Ball and Xavier Clarke.

The big question is how to replace Marshall?
Not that I’d really care if the above occurred.

But if we had all those picks - you would have to be trading some for established players

I’ve said numerous times the players people here think will take us to our period of contention is no longer centred around Steele Wilkie Sinclair Marshall etc.

If some make it. Great.

But it’s King Higgins etc and below.

I was banging on about this crap last year.

Henry Dow fit that model.

The targets we have targeted or missed:
LDU Brayshaw King Weitering Stengle TDK Bergman etc

All fit the list model of that group. That group gives us a period of contention for a Geelong type of run if we can get the midfield right.
Agreed.

The way I see it is that there are 3 levels to our list (by age); the senior leaders, the core, and the youth

Our premiership window is targeted at 2027 & beyond, so on December 31 2026:
Hill will be 33 (i think he can play until 35 though, he doesn't look like slowing down anytime soon)
Wood will be 33 (probably retired or retiring soon)
Steele will be 31
Wilkie will be 31
Sinclair will be 31 (32 in 2 months)
Marshall will be 31
Butler will be 30

Once we hit the window, I expect us to probably target a couple of other senior leaders (Parker types, but not yet) to top up this part of the demographic, so we'll have a couple more of these leaders

These are the sorts of guys I want to see being the senior leaders of the team like Pendles, Howe, Mitchell, Sidebottom, WHE etc. at Collingwood for their '23 flag, but the tilt is not dependent on them, it's dependent on the core with the likes of Daicos x2, JDG, Crisp, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy, Quaynor, Maynard, Elliott etc., which is what Higgins, King, Nas, Owens, Windy, Henry are to us - hopefully Clark, Dow, Stocker, Sharman can elevate themselves to this level. Not enough in this demographic on our list atm. Then we have Pou, Wilson, Arie, Garcia etc. to hopefully be the electric young brigade like McCreery, Hill, Ginni etc.

There are probably a couple too many of the older types at the moment, which is why I'm ok with a Marshall departure as long as we get at least fair value in return, and it supplements that core of prime players that we don't have enough of. Whether its through draft picks or mature players or both, idm, but this part of our list is the biggest issue atm. It's kind of like a restructure - sacrifice a piece of the senior leaders to boost the core of the list ahead of Tassie. Ruckmen never define a flag tilt, and I don't expect Marshall to be an outlier to this trend so he is definitely replaceable if we do it right. Pies won a flag with a recycled Swans backup ruckman, Geelong did it with a recycled Saints backup, Richmond did it with a recycled Swans ruck too. That accounts for 4 of the past 5 premierships - with a generational Max Gawn as the exception

So if we can get someone like a Ned Moyle to replace Marshall and develop with the rest of the 'core' in the same age bracket, it would benefit the demographic and also free up 500k/year in the cap (assuming Moyle costs 400k/yr hypothetically). Max Heath also looks like he's improved quite significantly the past month, so see how he continues to track post-bye. Get two guns for Marshall (whether its through draft or an established player) that could define not only our next window, but sustain this window for as long as possible in support to the Nas Windy Owens crop. We need to get all the required youth and core players in before Tassie enter the comp. Then hopefully bring in LDU, the core looks a lot stronger. I am certain we will target another FA in the 24-28 age bracket probably next year which would also catalyse this area, then another couple in '26

There's going to be a ton of list turnover over the next 4 years to prepare us for a sustained premiership window, not just some random 3 year period where we go well but then fall off a cliff. Tough decisions will be made on some players, but we will get a lot in return too to make up for it. Guys like Seb Ross and Armo amongst others were probably indeed trades when everyone thought it would ruin us and now we regret it, so hopefully we've learned our lesson. Right now, the composition of our list is an absolute mess - our 25-28 yr olds are non-existent - so while we are not contending, we need to make sure that this part of the list is not bare when the window hits - hence the recruitments of Henry, Dow, Stocker who will be in the range at around '26. Top up the foundations with youth, get LDU + another into the core and once we hit the window, get the senior guys and the cherries on top

steel roma battle out lol

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

5 first round draft picks

Interested Thinking GIF by reactionseditor

Agree to disagree I suppose.

By the time our best kids are in their REAL prime- (ie ~26 years old), marshall will be well past his.

Given there is plenty of evidence to suggest a elite ruckmen is not an essential part of winning a flag- we'd be dumb not to look at it as an option.

Unless we are trying to win a flag within the next 3 years?
That is a possible option- but for that to work we would need to do the reverse and keep marshall AND max our cap out for the next 5 years on any/all free agents etc we could land
(Eg LDU, Macrae, parker types)

You might trade him (anyone can be traded), but if they only did it for about a Top 10 pick, that would be the farcial part.

No offence but it’s never that dark and only you are talking about bottoming out.

This entire discussion is about a hypothetical and if Marshall leaves it will be a set back not a club killer 😂

Maybe we can use the picks we get and bring in LDU and a bunch of kids.

There are many avenues

We are talking losing Marshall, Steele and Battle possibly Howard too. I'm reckoning I'd call that a bottom out. We are competitive without injury. I would think we'd be bottom 4 for a sustained period if we start culling senior players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back