List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

On FOG, he had his highest average disposal and marks last season and is tracking the same this season. In a year when the team is a shit show he is doing pretty damn well.

Shots on goal are down on his average of last year (his highest) but again not easy with the spud train of a team
Not sure 11 disposals, 5 marks and a goal and half a game = 'pretty damn well'. If it does, we're setting the bar real low.

Stats aside, FOG gets his hands on a lot of balls but doesn't clunk anywhere near as many as he should, especially on the lead. He prefers to sit behind and lean into the defender coming back. He needs to do more than that at this stage of his career with his strength and talent.

He's also prone to go missing when he we need him most. Has the ability to rip games apart but plays a weird passive style like he doesn't want to hurt anyone. Maybe the most frustrating player we have.

Apologies

My thoughts are we are not ruthless enough to sit a player down and say its time

No matter the status of the player. Great player legend of the club but its time to move on
Yes absolutely as the club has proven over and over again. I'm trying to remember the last time the club has done that since Malcolm Blight?

Yes absolutely as the club has proven over and over again. I'm trying to remember the last time the club has done that since Malcolm Blight?
Scott Thompson, Brown, Gibbs, Jenkins ....the refusing of Contract demands; Lynch, Greenwood, Brad Crouch, Alex Keath ?

You remember Blight, more due to the associated furore .....whilst not as black & white as then, we have had those tough convo's .....I suspect Smith at year's end too, given he wants to play on

Scott Thompson, Brown, Gibbs, Jenkins ....the refusing of Contract demands; Lynch, Greenwood, Brad Crouch, Alex Keath ?

You remember Blight, more due to the associated furore .....whilst not as black & white as then, we have had those tough convo's .....I suspect Smith at year's end too, given he wants to play on
+ Talia & Douglas.

You could argue we had too many of those kind of convos in the panicked years of 2018-2021. I still don't think we needed to gut the side, kids learn better when they're playing in good teams, losing is a hard habit to break. Lynch, Talia and Luke Brown especially I felt could've played important roles for longer than they were allowed.

+ Talia & Douglas.

You could argue we had too many of those kind of convos in the panicked years of 2018-2021. I still don't think we needed to gut the side, kids learn better when they're playing in good teams, losing is a hard habit to break. Lynch, Talia and Luke Brown especially I felt could've played important roles for longer than they were allowed.
I agree with your premise 100% .....I was happy though, those players departed ....IMO though, the remaining senior players, in many ways, failed to stand-up

This year, we're seeing a number of those senior players falling badly off their career apex

I agree with your premise 100% .....I was happy though, those players departed ....IMO though, the remaining senior players, in many ways, failed to stand-up

This year, we're seeing a number of those senior players falling badly off their career apex
We haven't come close to replacing Lynch and the crucial role he played, he's still only 33 and given how extraordinarily fit he was, would likely be a strong contributor if he was playing now.

We haven't come close to replacing Lynch and the crucial role he played, he's still only 33 and given how extraordinarily fit he was, would likely be a strong contributor if he was playing now.
Wasn't the Lynch Role earmarked for Thilthorpe & his running capacity ?

Rarely do side come back from a 0-4 start to play Finals, we had to have the call go our way against Essendon, win and not draw against Brisbane and then win the close one against Collingwood to have any chance after starting 0-4. With a very young side now and our senior players in Walker, Smith, ROB and Laird in poor form and M.Crouch out for the season we will just continue to slide as the season goes on.
The Hawks are still in with a chance and they started 0-5

Wasn't the Lynch Role earmarked for Thilthorpe & his running capacity ?
Sadly the kind of thinking that would have an 201cm elite draft pick running around on the half forward flank wouldn't surprise me given the decisions made during that time. But surely you don't use your best ever draft capital on a connector role. Players like Thilthorpe need to be the game changers and breakers.

Sadly the kind of thinking that would have an 201cm elite draft pick running around on the half forward flank wouldn't surprise me given the decisions made during that time. But surely you don't use your best ever draft capital on a connector role. Players like Thilthorpe need to be the game changers and breakers.
Just my opinion .....that 201 cm running player in Thilthorpe becomes an extra mid ....an extra outlet avenue from DEF .....and much harder to match-up on

And he would have the ability to drift fwd and impact games ....as Lynch did, kicking goals

As a KPF ...stay at home type, it's too easy to negate & have the 3rd man up to spoil

Just my opinion .....that 201 cm running player in Thilthorpe becomes an extra mid ....an extra outlet avenue from DEF .....and much harder to match-up on

And he would have the ability to drift fwd and impact games ....as Lynch did, kicking goals

As a KPF ...stay at home type, it's too easy to negate & have the 3rd man up to spoil
Maybe if TT could get somewhere in the universe of Nick Reiwoldt, using his running power to blow up defenders going up and down both flanks and wings, taking marks and pushing back hard into the 50 to kick goals. Would be lovely.

Maybe if TT could get somewhere in the universe of Nick Reiwoldt, using his running power to blow up defenders going up and down both flanks and wings, taking marks and pushing back hard into the 50 to kick goals. Would be lovely.
You have just nailed his perfect role to aspire to. He always had the potential to do that kibd of a role so when he is back in the side that is what they should start grooming him to be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch was having injury problems - yes, he was fit, but his body was cooked. North picked him up as a rookie after we delisted him, and he never played an AFL game for them. We got the timing right.

The comparison was more with Matthew Richardson... but otherwise your comparison is accurate.

Nah St.Nickevery day and twice on Sundays
Nick was the better player, no doubt about it.

Richardson famously moved to the wing in the later part of his career, and proved to be devastatingly effective in that role. All the talk of playing Thilthorpe further up the ground was comparing him with Richardson.

I would like to see Curtin given the chance to play that connector role.
A nice marking target up the ground and a great leg.
Plays more to his attacking strength
As much as no one seems to want Curtin to play where he's mostly played - as a defender - I love the idea of him, Worrell and N Murray as tall defenders, dominating the air and attacking from defence for the next decade. I appreciate Butts ability to blanket forwards but prefer the idea of total football (with apologies to the Dutch) where every player is both an attacker and defender.

I think ideally Thilthorpe becomes a Blicavs type of player.
You play him on the wing, in the middle, he can take ruck if needed, he can play forwards.
Blicavs is Geelong's most important player because he fills many rolls and causes match up issues everywhere.

A smart team would find a way to utilise his best assets like that. A dumb team would try to convert him into a smash and bash key forward (genuinely not his strength), which is exactly what we are doing.

Not sure 11 disposals, 5 marks and a goal and half a game = 'pretty damn well'. If it does, we're setting the bar real low.

Stats aside, FOG gets his hands on a lot of balls but doesn't clunk anywhere near as many as he should, especially on the lead. He prefers to sit behind and lean into the defender coming back. He needs to do more than that at this stage of his career with his strength and talent.

He's also prone to go missing when he we need him most. Has the ability to rip games apart but plays a weird passive style like he doesn't want to hurt anyone. Maybe the most frustrating player we have.
Had a slow month to start the season, but has been playing the best footy of his career since. Lots of the things you are saying about Fog were relevant 2 years ago, but they aren't now.

15th in the league for goals, top 100 for marks (12th for contested marks) and 35th for score involvements (only behind Dawson at the Crows). None of these stats are a surprise either, it's been clear at games that he's become a key to our scoring.

https://www.afc.com.au/players/1555/darcy-fogarty#playerstatistics

One of my few highlights this season has been seeing him step up without Tex and lead an inexperienced forwardline (also missing RT).

Can he still get better? Absolutely, it will obviously help having RT back too.

Had a slow month to start the season, but has been playing the best footy of his career since. Lots of the things you are saying about Fog were relevant 2 years ago, but they aren't now.

15th in the league for goals, top 100 for marks (12th for contested marks) and 35th for score involvements (only behind Dawson at the Crows). None of these stats are a surprise either, it's been clear at games that he's become a key to our scoring.

https://www.afc.com.au/players/1555/darcy-fogarty#playerstatistics

One of my few highlights this season has been seeing him step up without Tex and lead an inexperienced forwardline (also missing RT).

Can he still get better? Absolutely, it will obviously help having RT back too.
If we're celebrating our 1st round pick marquee forward as being in the top 100 in the comp for marks, we really are in a bad place.

I think ideally Thilthorpe becomes a Blicavs type of player.
You play him on the wing, in the middle, he can take ruck if needed, he can play forwards.
Blicavs is Geelong's most important player because he fills many rolls and causes match up issues everywhere.

A smart team would find a way to utilise his best assets like that. A dumb team would try to convert him into a smash and bash key forward (genuinely not his strength), which is exactly what we are doing.
Are we?

I think the last thing we're doing with TT is developing him to be a permanent smash and crash key forward.

If you want to accuse them of issues with his development, I'd say it's more that we seem to have him featuring too much as a ruck.

How about 12th for contested marks?

There are a lot more marks to be found for a half back than a key forward, if you're just talking volume.
Charlie Dixon is in front of him. I'm not getting excited about 20 contested marks in 14 games.

Look FOG has been far from our worst this year but he's capable of so much more than what he gives. He should be elite with all his power and talent. Maybe one day.

Back