List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hombsch and Pittard on the table… have both played some very decent football in the past but neither in career best form.

I think we'll need to look at getting a mature FB now with Gilbert, Goddard moving on… Brown on his last legs.

Pittard looked like a gun a few years ago… what happened?

Hombsch and Pittard on the table… have both played some very decent football in the past but neither in career best form.

I think we'll need to look at getting a mature FB now with Gilbert, Goddard moving on… Brown on his last legs.

Pittard looked like a gun a few years ago… what happened?
I haven't seen much of Pittard but from what I've read his kicking is pretty similar to Gilbert's... which could be painful

Any draft picks for Steven is a mistake. If it helped us to get someone like Dylan Shiel I would listen.

There are probably about 20-25 midfielders in the competition who are not at St Kilda and are better than Steven. I won't support any trade of Steven unless it gets us one of those midfielders in return.

Any draft picks for Steven is a mistake. If it helped us to get someone like Dylan Shiel I would listen.

There are probably about 20-25 midfielders in the competition who are not at St Kilda and are better than Steven. I won't support any trade of Steven unless it gets us one of those midfielders in return.
but even that player would have to have similar traits to Jack. he's almost invaluable to us because he's just about our only player who takes the game on with speed

Who’s is purple? A big footy personality?
Excuse the intrusion guys .. ..

Just came on to see if you guys had seen the article... we all know purple can be loose with facts so id not place too much strength to its substance.

Is JS unhappy ..why would he move from the Saints? Get's along with the coach OK etc?
ho is purple

Amazing what getting away from here can do for the mind. I’m actually pretty positive. The fact we’ve delisted 7 blokes (6 senior list) already means we have a lot of dealings in the works. No doubt we possibly trade up to 2-3 others as well which opens up 8-9 spots

I believe our coaching appointments & change in President have been a massive boost to our attractiveness for potential suitors. If so many players wanted away, they’ve had 2 weeks to let it be known. Sure there’s more than a few frustrated players, but I reckon its been overplayed.

Hope you’re right.
I’m drowning in pessimism at the thought of losing players we can’t afford to and starting all over again.
Really, really, REALLY hope they know what they are doing at RSEA but I’m reserving judgement. All I know is if they are stuck on keeping Richo we’d better hope we are getting strong minded individuals around him and not a group of yes-men.

Edit: I think you’re right. A sabbatical from this board is probably not a bad idea.

If you check the AFL stats for this year, this is how we were tracking in 2018:
  • Dead last in Contested possessions
  • Dead last in Clearances
  • 2nd last in Tackles
  • 2nd last in Contested Marks
  • 2nd last in Goal Accuracy
  • 3rd last in Hitouts
  • And bog average in a lot of other stats as well
To me this shows that we're just not cracking in hard enough. It's probably both a coaching issue and a personnel issue, but the leaders and players in our group need to bloody stand up and be accountable for this pathetic effort

Unfortunately bringing in 1 or 2 B+ players won't fix the above, we need a systematic overhaul of our systems and list, as it quite obviously shows we are so far off the mark it's terrifying

Hope you’re right.
I’m drowning in pessimism at the thought of losing players we can’t afford to and starting all over again.
Really, really, REALLY hope they know what they are doing at RSEA but I’m reserving judgement. All I know is if they are stuck on keeping Richo we’d better hope we are getting strong minded individuals around him and not a group of yes-men.

Edit: I think you’re right. A sabbatical from this board is probably not a bad idea.
My saving grace is I also follow English Premier League and NBA. So there is always another distraction.. For example, for the last 2 seasons Arsenal was really hard to watch because Arsene Wenger refuse to get with the times and change their game plan/transfer policy etc, lucky I had Houston Rockets (NBA) and AFL (Saints did ok the 2016/2017) to look forward to.. so, take a break. find a second sport to follow and come back when things are on the up again. As the saying goes, it won't happen overnight, but it will happen... :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t support a trade of Jack Steven no matter what the return. GC and Melbourne will tell you no matter how many first rounders you have they won’t turn into anything without senior players around them. Trade Steven and we might as well fold.

My saving grace is I also follow English Premier League and NBA. So there is always another distraction.. For example, for the last 2 seasons Arsenal was really hard to watch because Arsene Wenger refuse to get with the times and change their game plan/transfer policy etc, lucky I had Houston Rockets (NBA) and AFL (Saints did ok the 2016/2017) to look forward to.. so, take a break. find a second sport to follow and come back when things are on the up again. As the saying goes, it won't happen overnight, but it will happen... :p
I've found a more pleasurable pursuit to fill the time next winter. I'll be driving roofing nails through my testicles. Less painful than watching my beloved saints slowly shrivel up and blow away down to Tasmania.

Yep. I love test cricket, but unfortunately it’s at a different time of year :D

If you check the AFL stats for this year, this is how we were tracking in 2018:
  • Dead last in Contested possessions
  • Dead last in Clearances
  • 2nd last in Tackles
  • 2nd last in Contested Marks
  • 2nd last in Goal Accuracy
  • 3rd last in Hitouts
  • And bog average in a lot of other stats as well
To me this shows that we're just not cracking in hard enough. It's probably both a coaching issue and a personnel issue, but the leaders and players in our group need to bloody stand up and be accountable for this pathetic effort

Unfortunately bringing in 1 or 2 B+ players won't fix the above, we need a systematic overhaul of our systems and list, as it quite obviously shows we are so far off the mark it's terrifying
I was certainly interested to read/hear over the preseason how Melbourne's preseason training sessions were all about contests and winning contested ball, etc, whereas ours was said to be mainly focused on working on our transition.

As a result, our inside numbers dropped off dramatically and unlike Melbourne, the area we did really emphasise at training didn't improve much, if at all.

Last year we finished 3rd in the comp for clearance differential, and in the 2nd half of the year we were winning the clearances pretty much every week, and also winning the CP battle most weeks towards the end of the year, yet this year we've come dead-last for total clearances and also for CP's!?

It's a huge drop-off and to see our tackle numbers also so low (last year we were 2nd behind Richmond for forward 50 tackles) is also alarming.

No wonder some are saying we've completely lost our "brand".

It also suggests that our drop-off this year was the result of a lot more than just losing Roo and Joey, as I don't remember them winning too many clearances or CP's, or laying a heap of tackles.

Koby Stevens did though, so we may have missed him more than he's given credit for.

We also had Longer winning the hitouts most weeks then as well, and our ability to win clearances seems to strongly correlate to whether we're competitive in the ruck contests or not.

Early last year and basically all this year we weren't, and those times correlated with us being bottom 2 for clearances during those periods. Conversely, when Longer was consistently winning the ruck contests in 2017, we were top 2 or 3 for clearance differential during that period.

Last edited:
I was certainly interested to read/hear over the preseason how Melbourne's preseason training sessions were all about contests and winning contested ball, etc, whereas ours was said to be mainly focused on working on our transition.

As a result, our inside numbers dropped off dramatically and unlike Melbourne, the area we did really emphasise at training didn't improve much, if at all.

Last year we finished 3rd in the comp for clearance differential, and in the 2nd half of the year we were winning the clearances pretty much every week, and also winning the CP battle most weeks towards the end of the year, yet this year we've come dead-last for total clearances and also for CP's!?

It's a huge drop-off and to see our tackle numbers also so low (last year we were 2nd behind Richmond for forward 50 tackles) is also alarming.

No wonder some are saying we've completely lost our "brand".

It also suggests that our drop-off this year was the result of a lot more than just losing Roo and Joey, as I don't remember them winning too many clearances or CP's, or laying a heap of tackles.

Koby Stevens did though, so we may have missed him more than he's given credit for.

We also had Longer winning the hitouts most weeks then as well, and our ability to win clearances seems to strongly correlate to whether we're competitive in the ruck contests or not. Early last year and basically all this year we weren't, and those times correlated with us being bottom 2 for clearances during those periods.
Footy's funny really.

Agree with your post on Melbourne and us in pre-season. What makes it weirder was that we beat them by playing fast footy and transitioning well while they were stuck around the contest... that was the one game it worked well in for us! :drunk:

Last edited:
I could see Kelly and Pick 11 going to free for pick 5.

Pick 4 and 5 and Cerra for Steven and Acres is a rebuild but heading in the right direction.

We need leaders and teachers on the field who don't turn over the ball. While steven works as hard as anyone, he can turn the ball over as much as any of our side. Acres should have delivered far more by now. I doubt he will, at least in our environment. A fresh start can be a win for both teams.

We are so far behind in elite talent!

My youngest - cats supporter, yes I am a weak poor father - asked which team has the best group of four players in the league?

Richmond has Martin, Rance, Cotchin and Reiwolt (2 brownlows, some colemans and numerous AAs)
Geelong has Danger, selwood, Hawkins and Ablett
West Coast has nic Nat, Kennedy, Gaff and Shuey
Melbourne has Gawn, Oliver, Hogan and Jones

Saints have... Steven, Ross, Carlisle and Gresh
Hmmm No AA's No high up brownlow counts, no big goal kickers,
Steven the only one that would be any chance to be in the top four of any of the top eight sides.

We need to find a way to seriously develop the current list and bring in elite talent!

I imagine Freo will want the King twins with picks 5 & 6 if Neale goes to the Lions. They have been chasing top end key position players for awhile (Hogan, McGovern). I imagine WC will go hard for Kelly if Gaff leaves, seems a good replacement for them given they’re in the window.

Pretty sure the team is taking this year as a blip and a complete destruction of our list like GC is NOT in the plan. Instead, Getting rid of deadwood (which WOULDNT be Stuv) and replacing them with quality seems like the go. Stop the pessimism especially after a 30 word comment on sliding doors from Barrett. Also majority of people that comment like they are ITK's are commenting on BF 24/7 so BS you have time to go out and talk to people especially people from clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back