2014 Membership tallies - Final AFL 2014 Tally in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of of overall fanbase Essendon have a clear and undeniable lead however Richmond's strength is the fact that it does not carry a large "me too" fanbase. The limitation in the extent of Richmond's fanbase are illustrated by ordinary social media numbers but the ability of the club to motivate a larger percentage of that base to be active fans in revealed by the surge in membership and attendance we saw on the back of a rare finalling run last year. This mix of limited "soft" numbers concealing huge "hard" numbers is a result of the winnowing of all but loyal fans over 30 years of failure....If you're still on he Tigger train you mean it.

Essendon and even Carlton have more fans nationwide ....its just that it won't look or sound like that if Richmond are going well onfield because a large percentage of the Tig Army will be on active service at the G not on facebook!!!!!!
I agree with much of thus. I guess my key point is that I don't necessarily believe Essendons mass appeal is based on a higher portion if casual support. Essendon has two key factors which may make u think their membership and attendances are indicative of casual support rather than hard core support. (1): Home games at Ethihad (membership and attendances) and (2): Poor membership packages tailored to non match going fans (interstate for instance. These two factors lead to this inference looking real. Prior to 2000, Essendon had the biggest membership and attendances. They were ad a result the big show in town. Because the fans could be members and show up without restriction and limitations.

In 2013 AFL merchandising sales confirmed that Essendons jumper was the best selling club jumper. This represents hard support. Only issue is they have to pay a premium to be a member and for that sit where they don't want to sit in a closed roof stadium. Or they could go and watch in GA but contend with the fact u may not get into the stadium or have to sit in the back row behind the goals and pay a booking fee for the privilege! Oh, and u will have to probably decide early in the week if u want to go or may sell out and u miss out.. But how do u know if u and your family all want to make the decision to go early in the week!!? Too bloody difficult. No wonder they undertrade in attendance and membership!

Fair enough mate. I cant understand why Etihad would close the doors or the bombers themselves allowing it. Anyway I wonder how many members would downgrade their memberships if you did get back to the g? You might end up with much more members yet the yield might be less?
Essendon don't choose to lock the doors at 43,000. Problem is that at any home game only about 65-70% of seat holders turn up. They have 26,000 annual seat holders which means about 8,000 of these are always empty St home games. They try to onsell these but usually only onsell about 5-700 seats. That's why stadium capacity us reduced for Essendon.

The AFL will buy the stadium within the next year or two meaning Essendon will start re negotiating with the venue well before 2025 contract expiry. With Carlton signaling it's intent on going back to the G, I think Essendon will sit quietly in the immediate term as they will probably be once again in a powerful bargaining position as the stadium needs a major anchor tenant and can't afford to lose Essendon, especially if the AFL own it. Also, I hear they are looking at increasing capacity to 60,000. Watch this space on all fronts!!

The AFL will buy the stadium within the next year or two meaning Essendon will start re negotiating with the venue well before 2025 contract expiry. With Carlton signaling it's intent on going back to the G, I think Essendon will sit quietly in the immediate term as they will probably be once again in a powerful bargaining position as the stadium needs a major anchor tenant and can't afford to lose Essendon, especially if the AFL own it. Also, I hear they are looking at increasing capacity to 60,000. Watch this space on all fronts!!

I think you may be right about the AFL buying the stadium before the end of the 2025 contract, but I can't see it happening in the next year or two. It would be way too expensive for the AFL to buy the contract with 10 years to run. I doubt the AFL would even consider buying the contract until at least 2020.

I haven't heard about plans of increasing the capacity of the stadium. What are you basing this on? Who's paying for it? I can't see the AFL having the funds to do both of increasing the stadiums capacity and buying out the contract.

Why would they do that and go and borrow $100mil?? They have done their 2012-16 revenue and spending plan and they wont have the reserves to buy whilst they are subsiding the 2 new teams.

If they buy it early, they will do it after they have signed off on the 2017-2021 TV deal. Every year they wait they save themselves $15-$20mil in purchase price.

Why would they do that and go and borrow $100mil?? They have done their 2012-16 revenue and spending plan and they wont have the reserves to buy whilst they are subsiding the 2 new teams.

If they buy it early, they will do it after they have signed off on the 2017-2021 TV deal. Every year they wait they save themselves $15-$20mil in purchase price.

yeah I dont see a buyout happening during this tv deal - unless the reports of them trying to birng forward negotiations and extend the current deal are true.

Also the league probably doesnt need anchor tenants when its reponsible for fixturing.

Essendon don't choose to lock the doors at 43,000. Problem is that at any home game only about 65-70% of seat holders turn up. They have 26,000 annual seat holders which means about 8,000 of these are always empty St home games. They try to onsell these but usually only onsell about 5-700 seats. That's why stadium capacity us reduced for Essendon.

So its not that the stadium locks out at around 43k, its just that the other areas are capped at whatever they are at. 53k - 26k = 27k for the rest of the stadium capacity. So in other words when this is filled that's it? With the churn of members not showings, this is shortfall?

So its not that the stadium locks out at around 43k, its just that the other areas are capped at whatever they are at. 53k - 26k = 27k for the rest of the stadium capacity. So in other words when this is filled that's it? With the churn of members not showings, this is shortfall?
Sort of if I correctly understand what u are saying.. Essendons 26,000 season seat holders have their designated seat for all 11 home games at Ethihad / MCG. Even if they decide not to go to a particular home their seat is always empty because it's their designated seat. I worked at the club and they had a statistic that only around 60-70% of members with seats go to any hone game. It's a bit higher for the games V Collingwoid and Carlton though. Given this the stadium will almost always have about 8,000 Essendon member no shows. The Ethihad capacity is apprix 55,000, after defy ting normal Essendon member no shows (8,000) and Medallion Club no shows (2,500), the remaining capacity is spprox 45,000 of which there are always vacancies in Corporate Suites etc lowering the 'real' capacity for Essendon games at 43-44,000. It's a significant problem for Essendon to manage through in future and will only amplify as Essendon sells mite annual reserved seats with memberships. Thus creates more revenue but cones at a cost if lower attendances and more lockouts which is not a good thing for a big club like Essendon..

If it's going well, you could argue that it should only be playing the GC, GWS and a lowly ranked interstate club at the venue. Otherwise Essendon will almost certainly exceed the 44,000 capacity of the venue for home games meaning supporters will either nit bother going to the games and decide to watch on TV as it's better than sitting up in the gods. This is what's happening for Essendon now.

In 2012 it

Sort of if I correctly understand what u are saying.. Essendons 26,000 season seat holders have their designated seat for all 11 home games at Ethihad / MCG. Even if they decide not to go to a particular home their seat is always empty because it's their designated seat. I worked at the club and they had a statistic that only around 60-70% of members with seats go to any hone game. It's a bit higher for the games V Collingwoid and Carlton though. Given this the stadium will almost always have about 8,000 Essendon member no shows. The Ethihad capacity is apprix 55,000, after defy ting normal Essendon member no shows (8,000) and Medallion Club no shows (2,500), the remaining capacity is spprox 45,000 of which there are always vacancies in Corporate Suites etc lowering the 'real' capacity for Essendon games at 43-44,000. It's a significant problem for Essendon to manage through in future and will only amplify as Essendon sells mite annual reserved seats with memberships. Thus creates more revenue but cones at a cost if lower attendances and more lockouts which is not a good thing for a big club like Essendon..

If it's going well, you could argue that it should only be playing the GC, GWS and a lowly ranked interstate club at the venue. Otherwise Essendon will almost certainly exceed the 44,000 capacity of the venue for home games meaning supporters will either nit bother going to the games and decide to watch on TV as it's better than sitting up in the gods. This is what's happening for Essendon now.

In 2012 it

Yep that's what I was getting at. The problem you have, is if you want to play more games at the g, who's place are you going to take? Both the tigers, pies and dees wont be going anywhere so that means the hawks as the only other regular user. Then you have the dons, blues also. Unfortunately we all cant fit. Either way it will be interesting what happens with this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2014members10022014.png

North 26,584 which is 4,267 up on this day last year.

Yep that's what I was getting at. The problem you have, is if you want to play more games at the g, who's place are you going to take? Both the tigers, pies and dees wont be going anywhere so that means the hawks as the only other regular user. Then you have the dons, blues also. Unfortunately we all cant fit. Either way it will be interesting what happens with this.
i see your point, but what it a home ground really now days, there are 9 teams playing out of 2 stadiums, Essendon are the second largest team & have some home games moved to the MCG due to the sheer size of the crowd. it could be easily done for every team playing an interstate team, it will draw a smaller crowd schedule the game at etihad play it there

i see your point, but what it a home ground really now days, there are 9 teams playing out of 2 stadiums, Essendon are the second largest team & have some home games moved to the MCG due to the sheer size of the crowd. it could be easily done for every team playing an interstate team, it will draw a smaller crowd schedule the game at etihad play it there
\Yep but I know for a fact the tigers don't want any games at Etihad but concede 1 or 2 there as home games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back