Preview Changes V Gold Coast TIO Stadium SATURDAY NIGHT June 3rd

Remove this Banner Ad

Mentioning Sloane is a bit of a red-herring, doncha reckon? :confusedv1:

Different players/careers//positions/roles.
How Nicks et al use Sloane is a separate issue eg we could discuss Murphy's place in the side which is tenuous after last 2 weeks, but has nothing to do with Worrell-or-Hinge-or-Doedee.
Ok take that out, the way to build an afl tank is not in the sanfl.

Strachan was horrible against Norwood too

And Himmelberg has had a stinker year
Actually that same game was probably the best I've ever seen the Berg ruck at any level when Strachan had a rest, wonder if that may feed into taking Strachan to Darwin as back up for ROB?
Mind you Glenelg have McGree and McBean 2 of the bigger rucks in the SANFL.

I know it’s not a convenient truth this week

But Doedee’s classy opponent was subbed out for being ineffectual

I do agree Doedee has lost some of his intercept marking game this year , but been v solid defensively

I’m on record as saying if he leaves it won’t be the worst thing as I highly rate Worrell and like hinge and Obvs max so we we’ll stocked

Redman more a need for his rebound and as a smith replacement over next 18 months
They could have subbed hipwood, but you’re probably likely to chose the 32yo instead.

They could have subbed hipwood, but you’re probably likely to chose the 32yo instead.
Yep and that’s the other issue

Butts has done a great job for a month and I was hopeful Worrell might take his spot

But his job on hipwood continued his good form

One way or another Worrell will be in the side soon enough , I have no doubt

Really my main concern is bringing in a young player and dropping then after they perform, what is that teaching them exactly?

I don't mind it as long as communication is open and they know where they stand.

I was perfectly fine with Ned being dropped after his solid game.

- I am heavily opposed to Worrell being dropped though.

TBH i'm quite excited to watch Wayne Milera this week. Can honestly say I haven't said that for about 3 years.

Really hope he can continue this form, especially with Smith in the same back 6. Junior coming good this year would be like free money for this rebuild. I hadn't written him completely off, but lets just say I had the pen and paper ready a month ago!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in Nicks interview no mention of Worrell being managed, can we put it to bed now?

This article explicitly says they were omitted, and Nicks straight up says it's because the ins were playing great footy previously so the squad is too strong for the outs to fit in. I think it's 100% clear at this stage that they don't see Worrell as fitting into our current best 22.

Tough selection calls a product of strong squad: Nicks

The return of defenders Brodie Smith and Mitch Hinge meant Josh Worrell and Ned McHenry were omitted from the Crows’ starting 22, while Patrick Parnell also dropped out after being the substitute last week.

Speaking to the media at Adelaide Airport on Friday, Nicks said having tough conversations around selection was a reflection of how strong the list was at the moment.

“(Those conversations are) not so challenging really, they’re good conversations,” Nicks said.

“It’s probably tough for the individual to cop straight away, but I think there’s an understanding of where the group is at the moment and the strength of this squad.

“To have Brodie (Smith) and Mitch (Hinge) available, those guys that went out played great footy and got the job done the week before, but they know when the opportunity shows itself, they’ll be ready again.”

I
This article explicitly says they were omitted, and Nicks straight up says it's because the ins were playing great footy previously so the squad is too strong for the outs to fit in. I think it's 100% clear at this stage that they don't see Worrell as fitting into our current best 22.

I don't think the team got the job done the week before against the dogs. Hinge didn't play as he got injured in the first quarter. Maybe he was getting confused with the St Kilda game.

Who matches up on Ben King and Jack Lukosius?

I know!!! I also know I’m argumentative, but **** me, if I didn’t have to argue against stupidity from multiple sources my post count would be halved.

This is a classic example, it’s clear as mud what happened, the club has said so and there’s no reason for it to lie on this one, but we have multiple posters who can’t bring themselves to acknowledge we might have made a tough unpopular call on a young player so they invent imaginary excuses and not only that, they dig their heels in and won’t even acknowledge they were wrong.

Murray should get first crack on King. he is our premier tall defender right now. I would then look at Worrel for Lukosius as he can range up the field with Jack...oh wait

I suspect they will run with Butts on Jack in Worrell's absence
Worrell to Luko really was the right matchup… still pisses me off

It’ll have to be a combo of Doedee and Hinge on Luko now. I reckon Butts will go to Casboult’s big self

I think Worrell is going to comfortably be in our best 22 in 2024-onwards. Glad he has signed an extension.

2023 Backline Auto Selections: Murray, Butts, Smithers, Michalanney & Milera (plus capt Dawson sliding back from midfield)
Competing for spots: Doedee, Hinge, Worrell (without any injury openings, they're competing with Butts & Michalanney).

Worrell was good last week vs Brisbane, but it was clear he was cramping in the game. Hinge & Smithers are fully fit and now the team is flying to Darwin for a must-win match against GCS and so I think it was easy to avoid taking a big risk on Worrell cramping half way through the game in Darwin. It takes nothing away from Worrell at all. He probably needs a 3-4 game stretch to get his nose in front of one of Butts/Hinge/Doedee at the selection table.
Only need an injury to 1 backline player and Worrell gets a multi-game stretch to prove himself.
I also think Worrell is our ready-to-go right-size replacement for the loss of Doedee late this year. Feels like Doedee will go home.

Moving on from the Backline... to the midfield.
Who plays on Rowell & Anderson? Laird & Keays?
This match is going to be an absolute belter. Go Crows.

It’ll be interesting if Worrell comes back in next week, if none of our defenders get injured

Either way, it’ll confirm whether he’s being partially managed, or whether this week was a pecking order decision

I suspect the latter, which I straight up don’t agree with

It’ll be interesting if Worrell comes back in next week, if none of our defenders get injured

Either way, it’ll confirm whether he’s being partially managed, or whether this week was a pecking order decision

I suspect the latter, which I straight up don’t agree with
Yeah the latter

I’m sure if a defender was injured he’d be playing and not managed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back