Preview Changes V Gold Coast TIO Stadium SATURDAY NIGHT June 3rd

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for providing some food-for-thought, and for the civil disagreement. Respect.
I watched the game LIVE and have only seen the first quarter again on laptop, last night. I didn't see any of his 6 intercepts in the first 1/4, so maybe I should have waited until I watched the whole game.
Even so, I'll repeat that I don't think Worrell played badly:
--- I think Worrell will become best-22, but he is not yet there, and
--- I have not shredded him, called him "useless" or "absolute garbage". I save that kind of hyperbole for dross like Himmelberg :sneaky:.

The above numbers look good, well, until you consider impact. As I pointed out, Worrell's first 2 kicks were ootf and then straight to a happy Coleman (who got his next two marks/kicks from Jones and Dawson :oops:, so Worrell was not alone). So the 80metres "gained" from Worrell's first 2 kicks were to Brisbane's advantage, not ours, and resulted in rebound pressure on out-of-position Crows.
Also, 3 tackles for a backman (one/quarter) is about par, wouldn't you say?

"10th ranked player", in terms of raw numbers? OK, but see above.

My main complaint, or reservation, about Worrell has to do with the bold above.
That's a BIG "if".
The fact of the matter is he didn't (continue on the way he was), because he couldn't. He cramped up, was gassed, and subbed out.
Versus GCS, we'll need players who can run out a full 4 quarters. Worrell cannot. Yet.

For Saturday's game in humid and slippery conditions, the choice was between a recovered Hinge and Worrell. For my money Hinge is the right call.
Fwiw, the Crows are becoming spoiled for player-choices which is a really good thing. When Worrell has reached 4-quarter fitness, he will solidify the backline and Hinge will probably replace Sholl on a wing. A back-6 rotating out of Smith/Milera/Murray/Michalanney/Butts/Doedee/Worrell is a tasty proposition.
Jones/Dawson/Hinge across Centre; add to that a classy forward line with a fit McAdam back in there and we've really got ourselves a side!
Line those stats up with Doedee, Worrell went at 74% so say he had 15 effective disposals Doedee had 9 at 67% so 6 effective disposals, same marks and tackles only 73m gained from more time on the ground.

They're your posts, I'm not searching for what doesn't exist and dawson's positioning isn't a selection issue.
Another one …. You even liked this one haha, you probably liked it but still argued with me

And Of course it’s a selection issue . If you play out of position and play poorly it effects your selection in the side . Ask Jackson

‘Watching Jackson Hately play wing after he started to show some sort of promise playing inside was probably my lowlight of the season ( among a few others )

He was set up to fail’

My usual comment about ROB at least once or twice a match

"WHY THE F#$% DID HE TAP IT THERE FOR"
I identify.
In the first quarter RoB tapped the ball perfectly down Neale's throat on the run ==> Lions goal.
:grimacing::grimacing::poov1:.

However, after 1/4 time he made several good taps to our mids on the move which is a thing rarely seen since 2016/17 --- ie mids on the move and taps to them.

RoB is built like a brick outhouse and has a very good tank but seems to get behind at throw-ins and out-bodied at throw-ups. Having said that, I thought he was good last Sunday.

Under Craig/Sando/Pyke we had plenty of form with this.

The treatment of Fog and Doedee by Pyke should have seen him sacked without needing a review.

Nicks is generally better (see Rachele, Soligo, MM) but he clearly does not rate Worrell for some reason.
My POV was across all Clubs ......everyone wants talented players in their side ASAP .....but talented players have rough edges as well, generally the defensive side, or game knowledge

Conversely, to what you think about Coaches holding Fog & Doedee back .....what about players like Soligo, Rachelle, and Michalanney .....all played as often as possible

No Coach will hold a good player back !

Worrell himself has said he wasn't the most professional player ...his kicking to long & short targets still has work to do

My POV was across all Clubs ......everyone wants talented players in their side ASAP .....but talented players have rough edges as well, generally the defensive side, or game knowledge

Conversely, to what you think about Coaches holding Fog & Doedee back .....what about players like Soligo, Rachelle, and Michalanney .....all played as often as possible

No Coach will hold a good player back !

Worrell himself has said he wasn't the most professional player ...his kicking to long & short targets still has work to do
I really think Worrell is ready to go as an afl player

It’s just a matter of finding a spot and he will perform , I love what he brings

RoB is built like a brick outhouse and has a very good tank but seems to get behind at throw-ins and out-bodied at throw-ups. Having said that, I thought he was good last Sunday.
Good points .....you can see in ROB's body language if he's on ....when using his body aggressively, he's above ave ....but too often his approach is that of a wet lettuce leaf

As for taking the back position at throw-ins ......I ask myself "why" ......they start almost the centre square, and he's not quick enough to take back position, and invariably loses the tap .......start in front & use that massive frame FFS

Good points .....you can see in ROB's body language if he's on ....when using his body aggressively, he's above ave ....but too often his approach is that of a wet lettuce leaf

As for taking the back position at throw-ins ......I ask myself "why" ......they start almost the centre square, and he's not quick enough to take back position, and invariably loses the tap .......start in front & use that massive frame FFS
ROB was able to correct his game at boundary throw ins

In prev games esp collingwood he was way too far away from throw in , against brisbane he kept on move and made sure he was ready for shallow throw ins , actually got right on top of the big O which was important

You know he’s not being managed, the club has clearly explained why he was out. There’s no reason to think they’d manage him and lie.

But consider who returned, that explains why he’s out. Who would you have excluded?
I'm not attacking you. I haven't seen the press conference so it looks like my comment is invalid.

Probably Butts if we're replacing a defender. I like the idea of moving Hinge to the wing and moving Sholl out.

ROB was able to correct his game at boundary throw ins

In prev games esp collingwood he was way too far away from throw in , against brisbane he kept on move and made sure he was ready for shallow throw ins , actually got right on top of the big O which was important
ROB just takes a while to get going for some reason. His endurance means he usually comes home strongly.

It's all in the head with him. Massive test this week against Witts.

Line those stats up with Doedee, Worrell went at 74% so say he had 15 effective disposals Doedee had 9 at 67% so 6 effective disposals, same marks and tackles only 73m gained from more time on the ground.
OK, well, 19 @ 74% is 14, but still better than Doedee. I agree.

I don't know what's happening with Doedee. Falls over too much for my liking. Lost a lot of effectiveness.
I didn't consider that selection was about Worrell vs. Doedee, fair point.

All I can think of is Doedee has seniority/selection credits (not necessarily a good/fair thing, but there it is), but more importantly has a 4-quarter tank.
Aren't you concerned that Worrell ran out of puff?

Worrell might replace Doedee eventually; I'd be all for that when Worrell has a bigger tank.
Anyway, it's a moot point. This week --- Doedee re-selected, Hinge is IN, Worrell OUT.

CLEAN'S DRINKING GAME

My best mate is here from Australia. Absolutely have to spice the game up because locals have no idea wtf is happening. OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.

Do a shot:
1) Atkins shirks a contest
2) Milera baulks or sidesteps an opponent
3) Doedee falls over (this is the danger shot)
4) ROB taps to an opposition mid
5) Fog does a fend off
6) Pedlar does a one-handed pickup

Do three shots:
1) Smith kicks a goal
2) Murray injures a team member
3) Soligo dribbles a field kick
4) Sloane is the highest possession winner in Q4
I’d be putting a cap of 4-5 shots per quarter on this game depending on your alcohol tolerance. And you will be through that quote 5 mins into each quarter.

I don't know what's happening with Doedee. Falls over too much for my liking. Lost a lot of effectiveness.

All I can think of is Doedee has seniority/selection credits (not necessarily a good/fair thing, but there it is), but more importantly has a 4-quarter tank.

Worrell might replace Doedee eventually; I'd be all for that when Worrell has a bigger tank.
Anyway, it's a moot point. This week --- Doedee re-selected, Hinge is IN, Worrell OUT.
Really my main concern is bringing in a young player and dropping then after they perform, what is that teaching them exactly?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barretts take isnt accurate at all..

Zorko hasnt got white line fever at all..

Zorko doesnt instantly change into a flog when he runs over the boundary line and onto the field like some jeckal and hyde..

Zorko’s well known for being a flog all the time.. on and off the field..
His name 'spoonerised' is Zane Dorko....speaks for itself!

I'm not attacking you. I haven't seen the press conference so it looks like my comment is invalid.

Probably Butts if we're replacing a defender. I like the idea of moving Hinge to the wing and moving Sholl out.
Didn’t think you were attacking me, does my posting come across harsh 🤔🥲

I think Worrell can offer a lot more than Doedee.
This feels like the Lever situation again, we know the player is leaving but we keep playing Doedee when we already have a good replacement for him that can play the role better

Sorry that's rubbish as Worrell is not a KDP but a defender that can play on talls if required and just adds so much flexibility to our defensive capabilities.
Just don't understand what more could have done last game.
Well Josh could have been fit to play out the 4 quarters he was selected to play for starters instead of going into a full body cramp (his words) that the supplied pickle juice had no effect upon necessitating him to be taken out of the game.

Really my main concern is bringing in a young player and dropping then after they perform, what is that teaching them exactly?
Good question, but you seem to be ignoring the fact that Worrell ran out of puff after 3 quarters.

Cramp is not an injury --- it's about endurance and well-managed sodium levels.

In Worrell's case, I hope they're saying to him "Look, at this point in time it looks like you've only got 3/4 of a tank". Worrell would have to agree with that; the cramping and tiredness would have told him that. Then they could say something like:
"We believe in you and we think you'll be best-22. Build your tank up and we will find a spot for you. We want you in the best-22", along those lines.

Good question, but you seem to be ignoring the fact that Worrell ran out of puff after 3 quarters.

Cramp is not an injury --- it's about endurance and well-managed sodium levels.

In Worrell's case, I hope they're saying to him "Look, at this point in time it looks like you've only got 3/4 of a tank". Worrell would have to agree with that; the cramping and tiredness would have told him that. Then they could say something like:
"We believe in you and we think you'll be best-22. Build your tank up and we will find a spot for you. We want you in the best-22", along those lines.
We are happy to play sloane for 60% game time, why not Josh?
I don’t think the best way to build an AFL tank is from the sanfl, that’s where he’s been anyway.

Well Josh could have been fit to play out the 4 quarters he was selected to play for starters instead of going into a full body cramp (his words) that the supplied pickle juice had no effect upon necessitating him to be taken out of the game.
This is overstated, Parnell got 8 minutes.

We are happy to play sloane for 60% game time, why not Josh?
I don’t think the best way to build an AFL tank is from the sanfl, that’s where he’s been anyway.
Mentioning Sloane is a bit of a red-herring, doncha reckon? :confusedv1:

Different players/careers//positions/roles.
How Nicks et al use Sloane is a separate issue eg we could discuss Murphy's place in the side which is tenuous after last 2 weeks, but has nothing to do with Worrell-or-Hinge-or-Doedee.

I know it’s not a convenient truth this week

But Doedee’s classy opponent was subbed out for being ineffectual

I do agree Doedee has lost some of his intercept marking game this year , but been v solid defensively

I’m on record as saying if he leaves it won’t be the worst thing as I highly rate Worrell and like hinge and Obvs max so we we’ll stocked

Redman more a need for his rebound and as a smith replacement over next 18 months

Remove this Banner Ad

Back