Women's Netball Team (Licence Handed Back May ‘23)

Remove this Banner Ad

The right decision to cut our losses and move on.
It appears so. I'm not really a Netball fan so I don't have any skin in the game. The club's intentions were good, but it blundered into an area it knew very little about. Combine that with the cross-town rival being managed by the State governing body as well as the wider issues with the administration of Netball Australia, it seems the cards were stacked against us. Although as Craig Kelly admitted, we could've done a better job at our end.

Unfortunately the people who suffer the most out of this are the players and coaches who worked hard without probably being resourced the way they should've been and now face the prospects of being out of a job or a very uncertain future. I don't envy the decision Craig Kelly and co had to make.

Feel for the players, staff and everyone involved. Losing your jobs is never an easy thing. Hopefully they all can find a new team/club or work in some aspect.

When it was set up, it clearly was done done in the right aspect, and Kelly acknowledged that. Went in without knowing whatt the hell we were doing. then trying to compete with the melb dominated Vixens was a whole new aspect altogether.

This has Eddie written all over it. Should never have been done ******* disgrace.
If you have money to burn subsidise memberships to make them cheaper or even exceed the soft cap pay the tax and make the football program as good as it can be.
Don't think the VFL or the Wheelchair Team make a profit either, get rid of them?

For mine it was poorly thought out and mistakes were made, not sure it was all Eddie either.

Don't think the VFL or the Wheelchair Team make a profit either, get rid of them?

For mine it was poorly thought out and mistakes were made, not sure it was all Eddie either.
VFL is a required feeder for the AFL.
The wheelchair team would cost one NTTAWWTteenth of the netball program.
I doubt any of the wheelchair athletes have tens of thousands in contract wages.

If only there was someone willing to donate $15-$20 Million to keep the whole competition going.

It’s tough these days as those types of people just aren’t around any longer.

Maybe they/them can put the hat around. I’m good for a 10’er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has Eddie written all over it. Should never have been done ******* disgrace.
If you have money to burn subsidise memberships to make them cheaper or even exceed the soft cap pay the tax and make the football program as good as it can be.

Just because it didn’t work doesn’t make it a mistake.

The problem is at the top…. And that’s not Collingwoods job to fix. Best to walk and say we gave it a shot.

If only there was someone willing to donate $15-$20 Million to keep the whole competition going.

Maybe they/them can put the hat around. I’m good for a 10’er.

Depends what your dad said 50 years ago as to whether the players will let netball Australia accept your tenner….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah they are.

Gina Rinehart.

And the country’s netballers preferred to tell her to piss off than accept her money.

If people don’t go watch it, don’t expect it to survive
Practically nobody watches it. Most Super Netball games on Foxtel rate less than 30,000 viewers nationally whilst AFL and NRL games attract ten times those ratings (not even taking into account FTA).

Unlike AFLW and NRLW, the Super Netball League isn't subsidised by a profitable men's competition and is bleeding money.

I wonder how many games Caroline Wilson has been to. If people don’t go watch it, don’t expect it to survive

The comp does get some good attendances. Totally different subculture.

Within the next 48hrs I expect to hear Caro calling loudly for Geelong or Richmond take up the licence due to the tens of millions in government funding they have received for their training base.

Caro made this about Collingwood and not the sports women that play it. FN disgrace and already called out for how she really acts when the “Mic” is on!
I'm sure she would of found plenty of excuses and displayed empathy if it were the Tiggers.

Since the Giants netball team is propped up by the AFL.
Maybe the new Tassie team can have the netball license.

Then again… I don’t really care.

Since the Giants netball team is propped up by the AFL.
Maybe the new Tassie team can have the netball license.

Then again… I don’t really care.

Unless the netballers wanna cut their salaries massively, the entire competition is unsustainable. It's only kept alive by generous sponsors who just want to be seen to support womens sport. They definitely aren't getting ROI

Yeah they are.

Gina Rinehart.

And the country’s netballers preferred to tell her to piss off than accept her money.

Find that hard to believe. Surely they weren’t that stupid to put at risk the entire competition by not accepting a generous benefactors donation to keep the lights on.

Amazing if true. I think you are making stuff up 76WS.

Netball is a very popular participation sport but it doesn't have a huge following from a professional standpoint. Netball may have seen more boys start playing but I don't know many guys who watch the sport or could name many Super Netball League players.

Collingwood would be better off promoting netball at a club-level in a local league and building a base that way. That said, Hawthorn, for example, has links to the South East Melbourne Phoenix in the NBL so it's not impossible to operate more than successful sporting organisation.

Yeah they are.

Gina Rinehart.

Yep they might regret that decision soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back