Women's Netball Team (Licence Handed Back May ‘23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. Jodie Sizer is the Vice President, however she wasn’t appointed until a fair bit later on, shortly after Eddie resigned. I highly doubt she would have taken a position on the board while Eddie was president. She has been on the board for a couple of years now. The King Kong gaffe was ten years ago.

Jodie joined the board in 2018. So she spent a number of years on the board with Eddie.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Utter b/s. Jodie joined the board in 2018. So she spent a number of years on the board with Eddie.

I might be wrong then as to when. What I don’t doubt is that she would have voted against his retention after his calamitous speech which ultimately lead to him standing down.
Not surprised that you weren’t willing to acknowledge when I was probably right about the reason for Collingwood getting an AFLW side and a netball side.

In other words, I know full well that the reason for the appointments of both the AFLW team and the Netball team were a direct result of Eddie’s comment about drowning Caro. I don’t need to divulge how I know, especially to an anonymous person on the internet.
The quick response was a demand of Holden who were the major sponsor at the time. The club almost lost the sponsor immediately. This was the demand of Holden at the time or else the club would have lost the sponsor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apparently the catalyst for us getting a women’s AFLW side and a netball side was because of his comment about holding Caro’s head underwater.

Nah, it wasn’t

I heard from Pert circa 2012 (5 years before it happened) that Collingwood had a strategic vision to get into women’s sport.

It was part of what the sprung floor and earlier renos were about.

If you like it enjoy it, personally I think the AFL are wasting their time pursuing this, there is no way the AFLW are pulling their own weight, shockingly bad crowds, pathetic TV numbers, clubs are getting the money to pay the wages from their AFL coffers, if the AFLW clubs had to stand alone they would fall over in a week.

You could say the same about our men’s team when it was founded. We didn’t just suddenly have 80,000 turn up to our first Queens Birthday Game in 1882.

Things have to start somewhere. Even the most ardent cynic would have to admit that the AFLW rise has been meteoric in a mere 7 seasons. The standard has gone through the roof.

Nah, it wasn’t

I heard from Pert circa 2012 (5 years before it happened) that Collingwood had a strategic vision to get into women’s sport.

It was part of what the sprung floor and earlier renos were about.
That may be so, but I’m telling you fact. It was fast tracked for that very reason. You can choose to believe it or disbelieve it.
Pert’s visions ultimately didn’t align with the club’s, hence they moved him on.

Given some of the recent reporting it sounds like it’s good that this is coming to a crossroads.

If we’re going to have teams represent us, we need to be setting them up for success.

We screwed up the AFLW in its early years by giving the women a men’s gameplan and the women simply didn’t have anything like the skills or fitness needed to execute it.

From recent articles, it’s looking like we’ve been making similar mistakes for the netball.

IMO, this is symptomatic of problems that we’ve all suspected have been happening in our men’s program - too much meddling from the top.

Consider …

The senior coach of netball would have nothing to do with footy, and vice versa.

And in a perfect world the head of netball would have nothing to footy and vice versa.

Then above that you have the CEO and the board who (apart from the director of football) their skillset and involvement should have zero to do with the mechanics of football beyond understanding a scoreline. They’re there to oversee governance. To ensure that people are accountable to do their jobs. The nature of what they do should be transferable between a footy club, a netball club, or even to some extent a business that does logistics (in Christine Holgate’s case)

If a past Netball coach is complaining about us trying to run netball like a football club that’s not good, but it echos some of the complaints of the footy program that there’s been too much meddling from above.

That may be so, but I’m telling you fact. It was fast tracked for that very reason. You can choose to believe it or disbelieve it.
Pert’s visions ultimately didn’t align with the club’s, hence they moved him on.

By convention (in the business world) and for good governance practices, CEO’s typically serve 5 year tenures. Pert served two five year tenures.

His first five year stint was super successful. Under that tenure we moved our members onto direct debit which improved the finances significantly, he rescued our club from going under financially (over the pubs fiasco) and we even won a Premiership which is something Collingwood hasn’t do very frequently these days. His second 5 year tenure wasn’t as successful.

By convention (in the business world) and for good governance practices, CEO’s typically serve 5 year tenures. Pert served two five year tenures.

His first five year stint was super successful. Under that tenure we moved our members onto direct debit which improved the finances significantly, he rescued our club from going under financially (over the pubs fiasco) and we even won a Premiership which is something Collingwood hasn’t do very frequently these days. His second 5 year tenure wasn’t as successful.
He was also an unpopular figure. Cloke used to park in his car park to spite him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that I think is an absolute must if we are going continue with the netball program (and I still think if they are going to they would be better off relocating them) is to have a program partner.

At present we are the only netball franchise that is going it alone. 6 of the 7 other teams are partnered with their state netball associations (including the Giants) and Sunshine Coast Lightening is partnered I believe with Sunshine Coast University. These partnerships are not just about funding. As I understand they are about things like the running of programs, talent pathways and develop,ent. Based on what Maddie Browne said earlier this week in Victoria the talent pathways are run and controlled by Netball Victoria who owns the Vixens so naturally anyone coming out of those pathways are being funnelled to the Vixens.

Whether we remain in Victoria and Netball Victoria restructures things to have an arrangement that mirrors the 50/50 split of Netball NSW, or we relocate and find a program partner in the new location, having a program partner is an absolute must in my opinion.

You could say the same about our men’s team when it was founded. We didn’t just suddenly have 80,000 turn up to our first Queens Birthday Game in 1882.

Things have to start somewhere. Even the most ardent cynic would have to admit that the AFLW rise has been meteoric in a mere 7 seasons. The standard has gone through the roof.
Nice try 76, but that guy is never changing his mind.

Apparently the catalyst for us getting a women’s AFLW side and a netball side was because of his comment about holding Caro’s head underwater.
Dont know if that's true, but it reminded me of when Joe Biden made Kamala Harris his running mate, after he told a black guy he wasn't black.

Last edited:
Jodie joined the board in 2018. So she spent a number of years on the board with Eddie.

Wasn’t the discussion at the time that we looking to add some governance expertise to the board when we added Sizer? Isn’t that her speciality? Being female and indigenous likely didn’t hurt her chances.

I have been a Collingwood supporter since I was 5 years old. We lived near Vic park and we all went to the games as a family. While my brothers played little league and could dream of playing, girls like me with no less love for the club could never imagine as a little girl playing for the Pies.

I had a tear in my eye to see the girls wearing the jumper.

Love to follow them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's a little off-topic, but I think pretty much everyone is on board with the emotional side of things in the desire to give girls growing up wanting to realise dreams of playing top level AFL football in the same way the boys are able to.

Whether the head honchos at AFL house have made the right decisions in pushing the national competition and diluting the talent pool so quickly is something that remains to be seen, but personally I'm worried about whether the AFLW as a product will be able to stand on its own two feet as a commercial enterprise (and from an entertainment perspective) quickly enough to ensure that the struggling clubs don't start slipping too far behind and eventually folding when the subsidies from AFL HQ eventually start running out.

Collingwood Netball has already suffered this fate, never really found its feet in the Super Netball competition and being associated with a club that almost demands (and achieves) success in other competitions just made it harder for our netball team to meet the high expectations many Collingwood people may have had for them coming into the venture.

Now confirmed.

Collingwood has confirmed it will withdraw from the Super Netball competition following the 2023 season.

In a statement released Thursday afternoon, chief executive Craig Kelly acknowledged the club "could have run a better netball program".

"Collingwood is a better place for having had a netball team and the decision to not renew our netball licence has been an incredibly difficult one which has weighed heavily on us," Kelly said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back