Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

Right - except virtue signalling isn't exclusive to the wing of politics considered 'woke' at all though

So do you want to expand on that little nugget , or are you just going to leave it hanging there like an inconsequential piece of dried excrement?

By all means....

20 years of lower interest rates have enriched many upper class folk via asset price growth. Many of them are quite content financially, and still they are unhappy. Imagine that, being rich and being unhappy. You are fragile (once you have money, you spend a lot of time worrying about losing it) and without hope (you are rich and still unhappy).

While organized religion has declined on paper, this has been replaced by the altar of "woke".

We all saw this during covid, many of the woke fanatics were all too happy to jump on the covid wagon - it gave their lives some meaning - a collective effort to stop the spread. Like a religious cult.

Ideally, id love the woke to stay out of my life and i will stay out of theirs.

By all means....

20 years of lower interest rates have enriched many upper class folk via asset price growth. Many of them are quite content financially, and still they are unhappy. Imagine that, being rich and being unhappy. You are fragile (once you have money, you spend a lot of time worrying about losing it) and without hope (you are rich and still unhappy).

While organized religion has declined on paper, this has been replaced by the altar of "woke".

We all saw this during covid, many of the woke fanatics were all too happy to jump on the covid wagon - it gave their lives some meaning - a collective effort to stop the spread. Like a religious cult.

Ideally, id love the woke to stay out of my life and i will stay out of theirs.
How do the 'woke' insert themselves into your life, may I ask?

That's not very proactive if they were going out of their way to generate outrage, is it?
A press release is not being proactive? Unless they are responding to people asking “where’s the Australia Day merch” - which I think is a low probability

Where did I ever say they were?

If it wasn't a commercial decision then what was it?
A commercial decision then opportunistic use of the “broad conversation “ statement to draw/ trick for attention and free advertising. Not because they are actually part of that broad conversation because if they are and want to reduce Australia Day prominence then the advertising for their liquor arm is counter to that goal.

I thought it was Dutton that was virtue signalling?
Yes he was. To his base. The perceived “virtue” is a different value but the goal is similar “look at me and what I stand for, love me/support me/ buy from me because of it.”

so all 'biological females' have the same opinion that isn't taken into account, or are there a range of opinions that do get taken into account but at the end of the day a decision has to be made which not everyone will be happy with?
Seems like you're laying the groundwork to muddy the waters.

I'm merely stating that biological females should in general be the gatekeepers of womens rights and safe spaces (including professional sports), which is something the left was comfortable with in the good old days.

Does that make me a bigot?

Sounds like a financial decision not “woke”
It usually is financial and or educational outcome based (for boys schools going co ed). Or maybe wanting to avoid making decisions on eligibility of trans students (to bring it back to the work topic…)

I'm merely stating that biological females should in general be the gatekeepers of womens rights and safe spaces (including professional sports), which is something the left was comfortable with in the good old days.

You seem to think all biological females hold the same opinion as Moms For Liberty. That's somewhat bigoted.

Yes he was. To his base. The perceived “virtue” is a different value but the goal is similar “look at me and what I stand for, love me/support me/ buy from me because of it.”
The whole thing was embarrassingly absurd.

Look at me, I'm proudly Australian and showing it by pressuring businesses to sell cheap Chinese made kitsch crap that will fill our bins on Jan 27.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sort of interested to hear what these people think is going to happen their lads if the dreaded fairer sex is introduced to their education experience because it looks a bit old man yelling at clouds right now. Personally I think government funding to a private school that bars fifty percent of the population male or female from attending sounds a bit off.
Public schools have barriers to entry also. Selective entry schools bar education to kids that don't meet the combined cutoff score from entry testing and interview, and location is the sole determining factor preventing students from enrolling in some of the better public schools.

I'm not aware of any private school refusing a student because they don't live within a certain zone.

I think you've answered your own question.

Here's my two cents, virtue signaling usually comes from those with fringe world views, those who are easily offended whether for themselves or on behalf of others. Usually hyperbolic points of view.

End thread.
So where Peter Dutton is now basically

You seem to think all biological females hold the same opinion as Moms For Liberty. That's somewhat bigoted.
You must have misunderstood my post. Please read it again.

Just because some biological females think abortion should be banned, that doesn't mean all do.

A press release is not being proactive? Unless they are responding to people asking “where’s the Australia Day merch” - which I think is a low probability
They didn't send out a press release as such, they were indeed responding to a question as to why they weren't stocking the items.
A commercial decision then opportunistic use of the “broad conversation “ statement to draw/ trick for attention and free advertising. Not because they are actually part of that broad conversation because if they are and want to reduce Australia Day prominence then the advertising for their liquor arm is counter to that goal.
It was a simple statement of fact, and I have no issue with companies stating facts, unlike some it seems.

Who gets to say what 'biological women' decide though? You? What if 'the left' send in their own 'biological women' to be gatekeepers? What then? Do they count?

Who gets to say what 'biological women' decide though? You?
Umm, they do.
What if 'the left' send in their own 'biological women' to be gatekeepers? What then? Do they count?
Really...I mean really!? That's a weird and wild argument if ever I've seen one. Do you have these left wing biological women locked up in a training camp ready to send in to liberate humanity?

I presume you're aware that some biological females are being cancelled and treated as bigots for sharing their view on the issue.

Umm, they do.

Really...I mean really!? That's a weird and wild argument if ever I've seen one. Do you have these left wing biological women locked up in a training camp ready to send in to liberate humanity?

I presume you're aware that some biological females are being cancelled and treated as bigots for sharing their view on the issue.

Some biological females are bigots.

On the subject of wokeness and reality. it's been a bad week for Elmo.

First he asked his followers on his Twitter account how everyone was going - the responses were traumatising:

Included amongst the responses was a nasty response from anti-woke crusader Jordan Peterson

And the week ended with him being brutally assaulted by Larry David on American breakfast TV.

GFSGwfXWYAAbgBv

Being a woke puppet is tough business in 2024.

On Fire GIF

Umm, they do.

Well if I have to spell it out, no of course there are no training camps, just as there is no way you have any idea what opinions 'biological women' have on this matter. It was a nonsense statement in response to a nonsense argument.

And by 'cancelled' do you mean 'suffered the consequences of their actions'? And was this done only by 'leftist' 'biological males'?

Well if I have to spell it out, no of course there are no training camps, just as there is no way you have any idea what opinions 'biological women' have on this matter. It was a nonsense statement in response to a nonsense argument.
I didn't claim to know what biological women think on the matter. Don't get ahead of yourself again.
And by 'cancelled' do you mean 'suffered the consequences of their actions'?
Obviously part of the consequence of their actions was to be cancelled. We can agree to disagree on whether they should have been.
And was this done only by 'leftist' 'biological males'?
Both of us are biological males. I respect the right of biological females to make that choice while you clearly do not. Is that a one-off, or symptomatic of a bigger and more prevalent issue?

I didn't claim to know what biological women think on the matter. Don't get ahead of yourself again.

Obviously part of the consequence of their actions was to be cancelled. We can agree to disagree on whether they should have been.

Both of us are biological males. I respect the right of biological females to make that choice while you clearly do not. Is that a one-off, or symptomatic of a bigger and more prevalent issue?
To me, your third point contradicts your first point. Maybe we need to clarify what 'choice' we're referring to.

I agree with your second point though, except that I think that 'cancelled' is a largely meaningless word that only exists to obfuscate the fact that actions have consequences, and even in some cases to make a perpetrator the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back