Speculation Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to be regressing by the season.

Probably needs a fresh start but not sure what AFL level traits he has. Small, not particularly fast, not particularly strong, not a great ball user.
Agree, he is ok with ball in hand normally, but he doesn't get it often to prove that to be the case.

No chance of being at North next season. Whether his call or ours.

Agree, he is ok with ball in hand normally, but he doesn't get it often to prove that to be the case.

No chance of being at North next season. Whether his call or ours.

In his defense, glandular fever sounds like a horrible thing to recover from and would have set him back.

There is a lot of other North young players I’d rather have extended stints in the midfield over Phillips, so I also expect him to be elsewhere next season.

In his defense, glandular fever sounds like a horrible thing to recover from and would have set him back.

There is a lot of other North young players I’d rather have extended stints in the midfield over Phillips, so I also expect him to be elsewhere next season.

Yes well looks like we will get another mid with pick 1 at years end. So yes he will be further behind, but I hope he goes elsewhere and gets his career going.

oh and before anyone thinks I think he's got trade value, he hasn't.

Subbed off for Fisher and struggling to get game time for North. Needs a fresh start at a new club and might get North an R2 they can use to get a tall.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we get a second rounder for Will, it means Brady rawlings has moved to another club.

oh boy, here we come !!

He hasn't even been playing that well at VFL level.

Confidence is shot and I'm not sure if he will get another chance by an AFL club. Just doesn't have any weapons.

Small. Not slow but not quick either. Not a dangerous user of the ball.

Hate to bag the kid but looking like a poor mans Jack Billings

I think he’s gone. He can play, has been hampered by injury and illness, but hasn’t taken his chance when played in the seniors. It seems like there had to be a choice between him and Powell, and Powell excelled but unfortunately Phillips struggled.

I think he’ll be a good get for a club with the right midfield mix.

It was highlighted as a poor selection from the get go
How? He was rated as the best mid choice in the draft after Daicos so I don't think that he didn't have the ability. Injury and Development do more damage to a players career. It's likely when he leaves he'll improve under another team to be a a solid player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How? He was rated as the best mid choice in the draft after Daicos so I don't think that he didn't have the ability. Injury and Development do more damage to a players career. It's likely when he leaves he'll improve under another team to be a a solid player.

He wasn’t in the same draft as Daicos. The real head scratcher is why they took both Phillips & Powell, probably one of the reasons there’s been a rebuild off field as well as on field since then. TBF, it’s looking like a pretty weak draft, covid would’ve played a role in that I guess.

Leading into the draft the best players were JUH, Thilthorpe and McDonald with a drop to the next group. Hollands was in that group until he got injured.

Phillips wasn't expected to go pick 3 until closer to draft night as North rated him higher than other recruiters

He hasn't even been playing that well at VFL level.

Confidence is shot and I'm not sure if he will get another chance by an AFL club. Just doesn't have any weapons.

Small. Not slow but not quick either. Not a dangerous user of the ball.
He ended last season really well and got a Brownlow vote in the last game of the season. I expected him to push on. He seems to have gone backwards in a really big way this season.

I feel bad for him as he has dealt with multiple bouts of covid after being drafted and then glandular fever. I can't question his efforts as he hasn't taken much time off in the offseason, returning early and working his ass off. It just hasn't worked out for him and as you say his confidence is gone which is showing in his VFL form.

He ended last season really well and got a Brownlow vote in the last game of the season. I expected him to push on. He seems to have gone backwards in a really big way this season.

I feel bad for him as he has dealt with multiple bouts of covid after being drafted and then glandular fever. I can't question his efforts as he hasn't taken much time off in the offseason, returning early and working his ass off. It just hasn't worked out for him and as you say his confidence is gone which is showing in his VFL form.

Think a change of scenery would do a world of good for both Will and North.

Leading into the draft the best players were JUH, Thilthorpe and McDonald with a drop to the next group. Hollands was in that group until he got injured.

Phillips wasn't expected to go pick 3 until closer to draft night as North rated him higher than other recruiters
He was always a top 6-7 pick and the best midfielder in the draft based on pre-covid play.

He wasn’t in the same draft as Daicos. The real head scratcher is why they took both Phillips & Powell, probably one of the reasons there’s been a rebuild off field as well as on field since then. TBF, it’s looking like a pretty weak draft, covid would’ve played a role in that I guess.
Can only assume that North didn't think Powell would be there at 13 and had him best available by a fair way.

That might explain a few things. I still think much of it was development and should still come out a solid player. Just not a highly talented one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back