Opinion Who Will Be Gone for 2022?

Who won't be on the Saints list in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It sure is, given Battle [along with Long] gives a fig, tries his heart out and has a bit of "attitude" and Kent just doesn't do anything! [Oh, he does do a good headless chook routine though!]
Kent was infinitely better than Long this year. Still not good, mind you, but much better than the actual headless chicken Long.

Agree. Though he looked very capable in his last few games. Sharman may keep him out of the starting 22 now though.

Yes Kent's als several games were ok. Hi Freo game excellent. Still not first 22, but can come in and play ok football.

Joyce may still get better given that he did not grow up as an AFL player. He can play either end of the ground too. So s a good choice for depth who could even improve enough to be a starting defender.

Sorry not sold on Hunter at all. There simply has to be a better back up ruck somewhere. If he stays it will more be so tat we have a ruck for Sandy. But hey they can just have Sandy hire a ruck for that.

Whenever he plays it is just a clear drop off to below back up level, and I do think he merits the worth of being a true back up player. At his age now upside.
Surely there is say a 24 year old ruck somewhere the equal or better of Hunter and who through being young may still improve?

We also have Max Heath in 2022. Young and raw, but who not blood him in the occasional game in 2022 to develop him?
Just on PHunter - yep if we find someone who is clearly better (Chol/McLean type) then he won't get another contract but if its a marginal upgrade I'm not sure I'd bother.

One of the coaches made a comment about Phunter which sort of sold me on him as "depth" and depth only. In addition to our training, he decided to go down to Sandy to do extra training with the mids down there to help with the clearance and centre set ups.

Kent was infinitely better than Long this year. Still not good, mind you, but much better than the actual headless chicken Long.

Long dropped away incredibly. He was pretty good last year. About half way through the year there was an article with the 10 players who had the biggest drop off in form across the AFL from 2020. Long, Marshall, Coffield and Butler were all on the list. Coff and Marshall turned it around, Butler had to ramp up his pressure game to stay in the side but Long just never got going again.

Long dropped away incredibly. He was pretty good last year. About half way through the year there was an article with the 10 players who had the biggest drop off in form across the AFL from 2020. Long, Marshall, Coffield and Butler were all on the list. Coff and Marshall turned it around, Butler had to ramp up his pressure game to stay in the side but Long just never got going again.
I liked Long at half back

I liked Long at half back
I think the issue was his field kicking was absolutely dreadful (not an exaggeration) and cost us way too many goals when he was playing down back. No surprise that once he got moved up the ground we became one of the best transition teams in the league.

He's too inconsistent within a game to be a defender. You can't afford guys giving away s**t 50m penalties and butcher easy passes in that part of the ground if you want to be a top 4 team, that stuff kills momentum which is extra important to a team like ours who lose all confidence after opponents put on a few consecutive goals. Train him as a forward next year and make him compete for Butler's spot in the side, maybe Butler will recapture some form with a bit of pressure on his spot.

In my eyes Long has taken the mantle from McKenzie as the biggest onfield hindrance to his own team. And everyone knows how disdainful I am of McKenzie 😂

In my eyes Long has taken the mantle from McKenzie as the biggest onfield hindrance to his own team. And everyone knows how disdainful I am of McKenzie 😂
How did you view McKenzie this year as a sceptic? I thought he was solid. As a wingman he’s able to find it a bit more and from memory he rarely wasted a kick or handball. Has a hard edge too. His turnaround has been a surprise. If we’re competing for a flag he’s probably not quite best 22 but he’s handy to have on the list.

How did you view McKenzie this year as a sceptic? I thought he was solid. As a wingman he’s able to find it a bit more and from memory he rarely wasted a kick or handball. Has a hard edge too. His turnaround has been a surprise. If we’re competing for a flag he’s probably not quite best 22 but he’s handy to have on the list.

After his first two games he basically averaged 17 touches a game, kicked a couple of goals, and disposal was far tidier than previously. Pretty handy backup as you say.

McKenzie has actually completed an incredible transition from on field liability to on field asset. Knows his limitations, generally makes good decisions (previously his biggest flaw), good overhead and solid defensively. If we’re at full fitness and challenging for a flag, he might not be best 22, but he’s exactly the type of depth player that all the good sides have.

Have to say, I thought he would never make it as a decent footballer at afl level. His turnaround has indeed been incredible. May not be in the team every week but is good depth to come in and play a role. I would still keep him away from deep defence as I think that can still bring out the chook in him, but he has a good turn of speed and has been willing to take the game on and break a line. Decision making and disposal also been really good. He has always been good in the air but all those skills make him a good proposition

If we were playing in a granny I would 100% pick D-Mac, the only bastard besides Steele who would play as if it was his last game. I’d bring him in and say tackle like you’ve never tackled before, play to hurt the opposition and run all day - worry about the penalties of that behaviour once there’s a premiership medal around ya neck. Need hard c*nuts in big games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant believe we've gone with Gears again.

I thought he was done at the end of last year. Then when I saw him rotting on a wing in Sydney and sadly go off it was sad, but it had to be it.

You've gotta hope he's on peanuts. Paton is the best lockdown defender, where does Gears play?
Was going to post on this but wasn't sure if it had already been given an airing elsewhere.

As loyal a servant as Gears has been he should've given it away. He was border line best 22 two seasons ago and has hardly played since. His body has let him down mixed with unfortunate injuries.

I can't imagine many would have him in our best 22 round one next year. I wouldn't anyway. Maybe not even best 25 with a full list.

If he gets a gig it will be at the expense of one of our younger guys.

At the very least he should relinquish the captaincy to Steele and hopefully he reconsiders his role at the club.

Maybe it's petty, but I thought it was interesting to see the picture of the Saints on the plane. Membrey, Steele, Ross and Webster sitting in first class with all the other players behind them.

Kinda curious what Ross did to deserve the first class seat? Surely after a performance like Sharmans, he should have been given a spot up front.

Or is it simply "leaders" get the good seats? Doesn't sit right with me.

Are there first class seats for flights between Tassie and Melbourne? It would be more of a tease than anything else. Would barely be tucking into my lobster platter and champers' before the plane lands...and I doubt airlines do doggy bag take-outs.
Better with the ham Sanger and cuppa in economy.

Last edited:
Other than the retirees (sad end to Carlisle's career I think. He deserved a bit better) One or two of Ross and Dunstan to go. Billings to stay on and be a non-existent player until he eventually disappears into himself, Battle and Long possible trade chips. Clav and Joyce to stay, Lonie delisted free agent...Kent and Wood to get a reprieve, Hunter to stay on as depth.

If we were playing in a granny I would 100% pick D-Mac, the only bastard besides Steele who would play as if it was his last game. I’d bring him in and say tackle like you’ve never tackled before, play to hurt the opposition and run all day - worry about the penalties of that behaviour once there’s a premiership medal around ya neck. Need hard c*nuts in big games
I only noticed it this year, but he's got a really solid build. He might be one of the only guys with a serious frame on him. The type of body that almost every West Coast player (somehow) has.

In my eyes Long has taken the mantle from McKenzie as the biggest onfield hindrance to his own team. And everyone knows how disdainful I am of McKenzie
In horrible form early. He and Hill alone prevented us from winning a couple of games, though both improved. Long's best games this year came in attack and that's where his future lies IMO - he is aggressive (in both senses) accountable and positive. He went for a few speccies, some of which came off and personally I love the positives of what he brings to the team up front.

Saying that, he has got to get better with his decision making and the technical aspects or he won't have a future with us. Not sure how this happens but it is totally in his hands.

Was going to post on this but wasn't sure if it had already been given an airing elsewhere.

As loyal a servant as Gears has been he should've given it away. He was border line best 22 two seasons ago and has hardly played since. His body has let him down mixed with unfortunate injuries.

I can't imagine many would have him in our best 22 round one next year. I wouldn't anyway. Maybe not even best 25 with a full list.

If he gets a gig it will be at the expense of one of our younger guys.

At the very least he should relinquish the captaincy to Steele and hopefully he reconsiders his role at the club.
I partially agree, but maybe a Sam Mitchell at Eagles-style transition to coaching/conditioning trainer could work for us.

Leadership is a problem for us, not sure if Gears is part of the problem since he's been the leader since Riewoldt or if it's even worse without him.

Definitely not best 22 but a handy break glass option as well as good training model for Da Yoof.

Have to admit I thought Mason Wood was a worse pickup than McKernan at the start of the year. Had some really good games before his injury and definitely deserves his new 1 year deal. Decent depth option but not someone I'd expect to play more than half the games.

Why get rid of Battle? Fantastic 2020 as a CHB, moved position and he had one bad year so we should just turf him. Hunter should be kept for depth in case we lose Ryder and/or Marshall. Get rid of Dunstan and Ross. Keep lonie unless we get a late second/early third for him. Kent and Long should be moved on but I can see Ratts keeping them.

Why get rid of Battle? Fantastic 2020 as a CHB, moved position and he had one bad year so we should just turf him. Hunter should be kept for depth in case we lose Ryder and/or Marshall. Get rid of Dunstan and Ross. Keep lonie unless we get a late second/early third for him. Kent and Long should be moved on but I can see Ratts keeping them.
I doubt anyone at the club wants to get rid of Battle. But I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that his development is clearly being hampered by not being able to settle in his best position (for me it's 3rd marking forward, but could be down back too).

I wouldn't at all be surprised if he wanted out. The kid clearly has talent, and he's got a bit of campaigner about him too. He just needs a season learning how to play one position and he'll be off and running. Hopefully that doesn't have to happen at another club...

Back