Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

Not sure this week is the W Pies fans think it is.

Yesterday was a cracking game between two heavyweights. It didn't go our way but we're every chance to get them in round 15. For me, there are still question marks over a few mental aspects - eg kicking straight when there's pressure on. We're ticking a few boxes but there's still plenty to work on.

Collingwood couldn't beat a projected bottom 6 team.

Pies rebound game could really cause us issues next week, we're struggling big time with our transition defense.

Collingwood win next week, they are only a game behind with a draw in their back pocket.
And have not yet played anything remotely close to their best footy to date.

Meanwhile, Carlton supporters are ringing up talk back radio carrying on as if they are sure things for this years flag.

Collingwood win next week, they are only a game behind with a draw in their back pocket.

Meanwhile, Carlton supporters are ringing up talk back radio carrying on as if they are sure things for this years flag.
Sure they are - good to see talk back radio is being considered representative of Carlton fans

How about your own board then?
You are all convinced the umpiring cost you the game :)
I am the board and can tell you that is categorically false. I understand you like making sweeping statements but you know full well saying that umpiring was poor does not mean they were the sole reason a team lost the game.

And you think Carlton has?

You have certainly played a hell of a lot better than what Collingwood has.
In fact, McKay, Cripps, De Koning and a probably a couple more are playing career-best footy. Name me at least one player for Collingwood (in their prime) that is having a solid season?

You played as well as you could possibly play yesterday and it was still not enough. Umpiring appears to be a main talking point. That 50 metre penalty somehow led to Geelong scoring 3 unanswered goals.

Collingwood struggled to beat an Essendon side who don't have elite key forwards. What makes you think victory is assured?

I would also argue Collingwood actually did - it was against Port. Same stuff we saw last year.

In fact, McKay, Cripps, De Koning and a probably a couple more are playing career-best footy. Name me at least one player for Collingwood (in their prime) that is having a solid season?

You played as well as you could possibly play yesterday and it was still not enough. Umpiring appears to be a main talking point. That 50 metre penalty somehow led to Geelong scoring 3 unanswered goals.
Aren't Collingwood playing pretty much their best 23 bar Mcstay? I expect them to continue to improve and still finish near the top but don't we have upside with some ins...?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were, but at the same time, we had enough scoring opportunities to win. How many times do you see teams kick four posters in a match?
Our kicking for goal has been poor last few weeks. 2.8 first quarter yesterday was very disappointing and deflating

I disagree with you here. We were solid in some aspects of the game yesterday, but nowhere near our expected levels in many others.

Whereas I would argue that Geelong have been playing at 100% of their capacity during the first seven games of this season. It's exciting for you. I would focus on enjoying that instead of putting forward this half-baked analysis based on talkback radio.

Bit like your thoughts of Geelong's unnamed midfield prior to our encounter then.

Essendon traveling well at the minute. Better than you may think.
Comparing whole teams here, not just one part of them so it's not really a good analogy. For example, our midfield is performing really well but our defense is currently struggling and we missed some sodas in front of goal. That's going to hurt us more despite that little extra bit of midfield dominance we had. Doesn't mean much if you can't capitalise on it.

Essendon still got crushed by Sydney and Port, so their form is topsy-turvy right now. The difference between us and Essendon is that our midfield is better and we have forwards that can turn a game on its head. They almost did it yesterday but they need a supporting cast to play well to beat the best.

Now this is funny.

Missed absolute sitters all day with plenty of players having stinkers and you rolled us by 2 goals with a near full-strength squad.

I would not be getting this cocky so early.

It's April. From memory Geelong were like 4-3 this time in 2022.

I disagree with you here. We were solid in some aspects of the game yesterday, but nowhere near our expected levels in many others.

Whereas I would argue that Geelong have been playing at 100% of their capacity

-21 inside fifties
-35 disposals
-8 clearances
-13 marks
-4 frees
+2 tackles
-10 hitouts
-20 contested possessions
+2 turnovers

Lost Dangerfield and also Bruhn for extended minutes in the crucial third quarter.

Team hardly played to their capacity at all.

Now this is funny.

Missed absolute sitters all day with plenty of players having stinkers and you rolled us by 2 goals with a near full-strength squad.

I would not be getting this cocky so early.

It's April. From memory Geelong were like 4-3 this time in 2022.

Even funnier your comments about umpires after the game.
You'd think Blues had 10 more scoring shots than their opposition yesterday.

Back